PDA

View Full Version : We're talking about practice....

MavKikiNYC
07-06-2002, 08:07 PM
AI's offseason regimen.

Posted on Sat, Jul. 06, 2002

Threat by Sixers star reported
Police probe allegation gun-toting Iverson barged into apartment
By SCOTT FLANDER & MENSAH DEAN

TWO MEN HAVE filed a police report alleging that 76ers star Allen Iverson barged into a West Philadelphia apartment, armed with a gun, looking for his wife and cousin, according to sources.

Police are still trying to determine whether the alleged incident actually happened, and no charges have been filed, the sources said.

The men filing the report claimed the incident occurred about 2:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Cobbs Creek Court Apartments on Chestnut Street near 62nd.

They claimed that Iverson, with another man, came to the apartment looking for his cousin, who lived there, the sources said. They claimed Iverson was also looking for his wife, according to the sources.

Iverson and the man forced their way into the apartment, still demanding to know where Iverson's cousin and wife were, sources said. According to the police report, Iverson threatened the men in the apartment, the sources said.

Police were talking to witnesses in an effort to determine whether the allegations were true, the sources said.

Reached by telephone last night, Iverson's lawyer, Larry Woodward, said he had no comment.

A man who answered the telephone yesterday at the third-floor apartment where the incident allegedly occurred, and who later came outside, said he was one of the two men Iverson had threatened. He said he had filed the police report.

He wouldn't give his name, however, saying he feared retaliation from Iverson.

"When I find out a restraining order has been placed on Iverson, I will talk to anybody I please. But not until then," he said. "My life is in danger; my life has been threatened."

Another man, who said he is the building's superintendent, said he doubted the story.

"There was no way Iverson could have done that, plain and simple," said the superintendent, who wouldn't give his name. "He has no way to get into this building."

The superintendent said a code is needed to enter the front door.

"There's no way an All-Star could get in here unnoticed," he said. "He drives a Bentley. People would take notice of that."

Iverson has had trouble in the past.

In 1997, he was a passenger in a car that was stopped for speeding by a state trooper near Richmond, Va. After the trooper smelled marijuana, he searched the car and found a .45-caliber pistol on the floorboard.

Iverson pleaded no contest to a concealed-weapons charge, and a marijuana-possession charge was dropped. Iverson was placed on three years' probation and was suspended by the NBA for one game.

Iverson served four months on a prison farm for a brawl in a Hampton, Va., bowling alley in February 1993. He was convicted of three counts of maiming by mob, but was eventually granted clemency. Iverson's conviction was overturned on appeal.

Drbio
07-06-2002, 08:27 PM
Iverson has had trouble in the past.

This is like saying the Pope is Catholic.

scooterj5
07-07-2002, 03:53 AM
Maybe it was AI's evil twin

Hoopsmeister
07-07-2002, 06:46 PM
<< Iverson has had trouble in the past.

This is like saying the Pope is Catholic. >>

The Pope is Catholic? But anyway, I thought we were talking about practice? Practice? P-r-a-c-t-i-c-e. Practice.

Does anybody still want to talk about practice?

Practice.

Drbio
07-08-2002, 12:09 AM
I hear it makes perfect.

Practice.

MavKikiNYC
07-08-2002, 10:25 AM
If this report turns out to be true....

anybody think this makes A(thletic) I(diot) more likely to be moved? What about dealing him westward to the LAClips? Would Sterling take on a player like A&Iuml; for a chance to move one like Odom and spares?

Opinions?

TheKid
07-08-2002, 01:10 PM
If he did this, I'll give my opinion.. He's an IDIOT!

MavKikiNYC
07-09-2002, 06:46 AM
Ain't got no Answer.....

Iverson's Lawyers Meet With Police
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 6:59 p.m. ET

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- An attorney for Allen Iverson met with police Monday to discuss allegations that the NBA All-Star threatened two men at an apartment complex last week.

Iverson's attorneys said in a statement they have provided information to police ``and will continue to do so as needed.'' The statement did not say whether Iverson denies the accusations.

The Philadelphia 76ers guard and another man, who was not identified, allegedly used ``assaultive behavior'' at the Cobbs Creek Court apartments early Wednesday, police said Saturday. No charges have been filed.

Media outlets have cited unidentified sources as saying that two men claimed Iverson, armed with a gun, and another man went to the apartment looking for Iverson's wife and cousin. Iverson and Tawanna Turner were married Aug. 3 and have two children.

Police said the men who filed the complaint did not contend they were physically assaulted.

Iverson has spoken to the 76ers since the allegations surfaced, but he will not discuss the case publicly ``since the allegations are still being reviewed by authorities,'' according to the statement from Larry Woodward and Thomas Shuttleworth, Iverson's attorneys.

Sixers spokeswoman Karen Frascona said Monday the team would have no comment while the police investigation continues.

LakerMania
07-09-2002, 10:38 PM
I guess he figures if he &quot;talks the talk&quot;...

&quot;Everybody stay fly get money, kill and f_ck bitches&quot;

&quot;You man enuff to pull a gun be man enuff to squeeze it&quot;

&quot;I know killaz that kill for a fee
That'll kill yo' arse for free, believe me
How you wanna die fast or slowly&quot;

&quot;Die reachin fo heat, leave you leakin in da street&quot;

....he should &quot;walk the walk&quot;.

Way to go AI! Make yo mamma proud!

MavKikiNYC
07-10-2002, 08:12 AM
It's gettin' spicier every day.....

Philly police want warrant for arrest of Iverson
July 9, 2002
SportsLine.com wire reports

PHILADELPHIA -- Police plan to recommend that prosecutors issue a warrant for the arrest of NBA All-Star Allen Iverson for allegedly barging into an apartment and threatening two men while armed.

District Attorney Lynne Abraham's office will be asked Wednesday to approve charges of aggravated assault and making terroristic threats while armed, Philadelphia police Lt. Michael Chitwood said Tuesday night.

&quot;We feel there's enough evidence there now to do what we've got to do -- arrest him,&quot; said Chitwood, who participated in the investigation.

If Abraham approves the charges, the Philadelphia 76ers guard would be asked to turn himself in, police said.

Cathie Abookire, a spokeswoman for the district attorney's office, said Tuesday night that prosecutors have not gotten any word from police about Iverson.

&quot;When we receive paperwork from the Police Department, we will review it,&quot; Abookire said.

Iverson has not commented publicly, and no one answered the intercom Tuesday outside his suburban Philadelphia mansion.

The 76ers issued a statement late Tuesday night, saying the team had been advised that &quot;charges are imminent.&quot;

&quot;We will continue to support Allen while we await the outcome of these proceedings,&quot; the statement said.

Iverson had a gun when he forced his way inside an apartment last week and threatened two men, one of the men said Tuesday.

Charles Jones, 21, met with police Tuesday and told reporters Iverson threatened him and another man in the early morning hours of July 3.

Iverson, accompanied by another man, reportedly went to an apartment complex before dawn to look for Iverson's wife, Tawanna, and cousin, Shaun Bowman, who lives there. Neither was there, said Jones, who has lived in the apartment since March.

Charles Jones, 21, says Allen Iverson pulled a gun on him.(AP)
Jones declined to reveal what Iverson said or how he threatened him. Jones said Iverson had a black handgun but did not brandish it.

Police Commissioner Sylvester Johnson told KYW-AM that Iverson allegedly had the gun inside his waistband. But Johnson noted, &quot;A bulge could be anything.&quot;

Jones insisted he saw a gun. &quot;I'm positive it was,&quot; he said.

Iverson's attorney, Tom Shuttleworth, declined comment Tuesday. Another Iverson attorney, Lawrence Woodward Jr., met with police Monday.

&quot;It's inappropriate for a lawyer to comment about a pending investigation. We have confidence in the legal system and we're going to let the process run its course,&quot; Shuttleworth, of Virginia Beach, Va., said Tuesday.

Iverson, 27, the NBA MVP in 2001, led the NBA in scoring during the regular season, averaging 31.4 points. A three-time All-Star, he led the 76ers to the NBA Finals in 2001, their first appearance in 18 years.

In 1997, Iverson pleaded no contest to a gun charge after police in Richmond, Va., stopped a car in which he was a passenger and found a gun belonging to Iverson and two marijuana cigarettes. He pleaded no contest to the gun charge, and a marijuana-possession charge was dropped. He was sentenced to probation.

Drbio
07-10-2002, 12:06 PM
ESPN front page reports Iverson will be arrested.

Dooby
07-10-2002, 01:56 PM
Time to &quot;practice&quot; your testimony, AI.

MavKikiNYC
07-10-2002, 03:02 PM
Is Ivy on drugs? Or is this just the way he deals with the world on a daily basis?

MFFL
07-10-2002, 04:13 PM
I think it's just the way he deals with the world. I can't understand it but I haven't lived his life.

Drbio
07-10-2002, 04:23 PM
CNN is reporting the police are looking for him now too.....stay tuned.

MavKikiNYC
07-10-2002, 04:39 PM
<< I think it's just the way he deals with the world. I can't understand it but I haven't lived his life. >>

True. If I'd started a riot in a bowling alley when I was 18, I might be carrying a gun today too.

Drbio
07-10-2002, 04:40 PM
I understand the life issue, but he must take responsibility for his actions. I know that he knows better.

Rhylan
07-10-2002, 07:37 PM
Even though he's being a total dumbass, and there's no excuse, I find it kind of sad. Here's a guy that not only has tons of talent, but tons of heart. He obviously has issues.. and he's surrounded by a &quot;posse&quot; and no telling how many business associates, all of whom are making their livings off of him... but clearly, from the time he was 18 or so, not one of them did very much to help steer this guy in the right direction.

Murphy3
07-10-2002, 08:29 PM
sure it's sad... however, it's not sad that other people aren't &quot;steering&quot; him in the right direction.. it is sad that he's not mature enough to where he can keep from making idiotic, dumbass decisions and mistakes.

if the current situation is true, his add belongs behind bars

Drbio
07-10-2002, 09:43 PM
There is a parallel here with AI's pass and Tyson. Sad situation.

Murphy3
07-10-2002, 09:59 PM
i've known several people with troubled childhoods..but guess what, once they become old enough to make their own decisions then the excuse of having a troubled childhood goes out the window.

Drbio
07-10-2002, 10:02 PM
no doubt about it. No excuses.

MFFL
07-10-2002, 11:05 PM
But realistically how many NBA players EVER grow up? Most of them have lived their lives in a fantasy land that most of us just can't understand.

Rhylan
07-10-2002, 11:43 PM
True.

The main thing I was getting at was that his boyzzz and stuff have made tons of money off of him, without a doubt... it's just kinda crappy. Not that he's not responsible for his own actions because believe me, he is.

If this really happened, he's a moron.

MavKikiNYC
07-11-2002, 06:13 AM
<< There is a parallel here with AI's pass and Tyson. Sad situation. >>

Also reminiscent of one Michael Irvin.

You might've guessed that some chick named Tawanna would be involved in all this.

TheKid
07-11-2002, 09:29 AM
Yeah I agree with what alot of you are saying, there never seemed to have been any direction in Iverson's life. Meaning he's never had anyone guide him, even the people that have come into his life and have suppose to have helped him seems to ahve used him to get themselves ahead.

However he needs to grow up and stop doing stupid things. It's so frustrating when you see someone who can have the world by the balls and just do stupid things. I know alot of people like to say Kobe is arrogant and Shaq is not very articulate but these two do a FABULOUS job of keeping their noses clean without comprimising who they are. It's possible, I wish some of these other NBA players recognize that.

MavsFanFinley
07-11-2002, 03:03 PM
Iverson to be charged in gun case
By MICHAEL RUBINKAM
Associated Press Writer
July 11, 2002

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- NBA All-Star Allen Iverson will be charged with forcing his way into a cousin's apartment with a gun and threatening two men while looking for his wife, authorities said Thursday.

The announcement came the same day police searched his suburban mansion and his uncle's home, looking for the gun Iverson was accused of carrying the night he showed up at the apartment.

Iverson will be charged with criminal trespass, simple assault, terroristic threats and gun offenses, District Attorney Lynne Abraham said. Four of the counts are felonies.

``I don't expect Mr. Iverson will be treated any different than anyone else,'' she said.

Police Commissioner Sylvester Johnson said he will arrange with Iverson's lawyer for the Philadelphia 76ers' guard to surrender. Johnson said that could happen as early as Thursday night.

``We had two complaints we felt were credible. Detectives did a very thorough, complete and professional investigation,'' Johnson said.

Iverson's uncle, Gregory Iverson, was accused of accompanying Iverson to the apartment. He also was charged with criminal trespass, simple assault, terroristic threats and other offenses.

Iverson, a former league MVP, was accused of going to the Cobbs Creek Court apartment complex early on July 3 to look for wife Tawanna and cousin Shaun Bowman, who lives there. Neither was there, said Charles Jones, who has lived in the apartment since March.

Jones, who met with police Tuesday, told reporters Iverson had a gun when he forced his way inside the apartment and threatened Jones and another man.

Police said Iverson has no gun permit, nor does he have a gun registered in Pennsylvania.

Iverson and his wife had been involved in a fight that spanned two days. At one point, Iverson threw her out of their mansion, according to tapes of a 911 call from Jones obtained by The Philadelphia Inquirer. Tawanna Iverson and another man had fled the home and were in hiding, according to the report.

Iverson and his wife of 11 months have not commented publicly.

Iverson's dazzling play has made him one of the most popular NBA players, and his Sixers jersey is the league's top seller.

The charges in the gun case, however, are just his latest problems with the law.

As a teenager, he was arrested in a Hampton, Va., bowling alley brawl in 1993 and spent four months in prison before then-Gov. Douglas Wilder granted clemency. The conviction was overturned on appeal in 1995.

In 1997, Iverson pleaded no contest to a gun charge after police near Richmond, Va., stopped a car in which he was a passenger and found a gun belonging to Iverson and two marijuana cigarettes. A marijuana-possession charge was dropped.

Iverson completed 100 hours of community service, two years of drug testing and three years' probation, after which his record was expunged.

Drbio
07-11-2002, 04:26 PM
AI is headed for the Big House.

Murphy3
07-11-2002, 06:45 PM
<< Not that he's not responsible for his own actions because believe me, he is. >>

no, he's not responsible for his own actions. he will get this pleaded down from a felony to a misdemeanor because he is a &quot;superstar&quot; athlete. jocks and movie stars aren't usually held to the same legal standards as the rest of us are.
it's a shame..

his sorry ass needs to be locked up for a good long time.. he'll probably get off with probation or a very short &quot;jail&quot; term.. maybe 20-30 days

MavKikiNYC
07-11-2002, 07:13 PM
He'll probably pick October to do his 30-day sentence--no training camp.

'Cause we're talking about.....

Murphy3
07-11-2002, 07:16 PM
good one mavskiki

Drbio
07-11-2002, 07:38 PM
The DA is looking to make a name I think. AI may be in for a little bit of a surprise. It'll be a damn jury that lets him off. Then the DA can say that he tried and AI gets off like the DA wanted in the first place. it's a scam.

reeds
07-11-2002, 08:19 PM
Yes- lots of people on this board bad mouth KOBE- but you know what? You wont find KOBE doing any of this shit- like him or hate him- he is a class act. NOT a class THUG like IVERSON. I believe in giving everyone a chance, but Allen has had WAY TOO many chances already. He belongs in Jail. What a role model he is to all his fans. What a pathetic thug.

Murphy3
07-11-2002, 08:35 PM
you're getting the two threads confused reeds.. this is the iverson thread..the other thread is for kobe.

Kat
07-14-2002, 01:28 AM
The thread should have said; We're talking about prison?

He won't even go to trial. The case will be thrown out because the guy that filed charges is one of the attached ticks. He'll throw him a boatload of $$$$ and it will disappear. If it doesn't, I will be surprised. They have no evidence as of yet.

I have lived in a world somewhat like that, but not for long. It made my head spin. You lose all sense of reality. All morales go out the window if you are not prepared. Much like Tyson, I think AI will end up the same way at this rate. Sad.

I'd rather be poor and have my sense, than in their shoes.

Tyson and AI.....dumb and dumber.

MavKikiNYC
07-15-2002, 09:58 AM
Just trying to keep this thread fresh.

Three thoughts:

1) Would it have been possible to get Dallas-Mavs.com press credentials to cover this event?

2) I wonder what Tawanna was wearing at this little soiree.

3) Is AI's attorney named Chevy Chase, by chance?

Awaiting Arrest, Iverson Hosts Party
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- As he awaited arrest on assault charges, Allen Iverson played host to an all-night party at his mansion, where guests swam and played basketball in the rain.

The $2.4 million house in Gladwyne had been quiet since the charges were filed Thursday.

But the party that started Saturday lasted through the night, and photographs taken by The Associated Press show Iverson in a heated discussion with an unidentified older woman on the front step just before 5 a.m., as the party was breaking up.

Police, who have ordered Iverson to remain at home until his expected arrest Tuesday, kept tabs on the situation from outside the gate.

Philadelphia police filed warrants for Iverson's arrest the same day they searched the suburban mansion and towed off a Cadillac SUV, in which they found broken glass, rocks and blood. The search of the home and vehicle did not turn up a weapon, a police source has said.

The warrants charge that Iverson -- armed and accompanied by his uncle, Gregory Iverson -- went looking for his wife July 3 after a dispute and threatened two Philadelphia men at his cousin's apartment.

Police have said that Tawanna Iverson, 26, checked into a hotel on July 1 and that the NBA star went looking for her there, asking security guards if they had seen a car with smashed windows. He left without finding it, authorities said.

Police have ordered the 76ers' guard to remain at home until Tuesday, when he is scheduled to turn himself in after his lawyer returns from a European vacation.

``If Iverson is seen on the street or out partying, we will arrest him,'' Police Commissioner Sylvester Johnson said Thursday.

A Philadelphia police spokesman said there was nothing to prevent Iverson from hosting a get-together at his home before he surrenders himself.

``The agreement was that Iverson would turn himself in on Tuesday and that he would stay on the grounds,'' Corporal Jim Pauley said.

The charges filed against Iverson include felony trespass and weapons charges and misdemeanor assault.

Anonymous sources told The New York Times in Sunday's editions that Iverson's contract with the Sixers wouldn't be guaranteed if he were convicted of a felony. Iverson has $40.5 million and three years left on a $70.8 million extension signed in January 1999.

Sixers spokeswoman Karen Frascona refused to confirm the report when contacted Sunday. Frascona said the team would have no comment while the police investigation continues.

Police have been stationed outside the star's mansion for days, directing traffic from fans and news media on the leafy, usually quiet street.

The Iversons, who met in high school in Hampton, Va., have two children, Tiaura, 7, and Allen II, 4, known as ``Deuce.''

Murphy3
07-15-2002, 06:44 PM
<< 2) I wonder what Tawanna was wearing at this little soiree. >>

I'm sure SHE was wearing sunglasses....for obvious reasons

MavKikiNYC
07-16-2002, 09:35 AM
Lawyer: Iverson will plead innocent to charges

PHILADELPHIA -- Allen Iverson surrendered to authorities at sunrise Tuesday on charges that he burst into his cousin's apartment with a handgun and threatened two men while searching for his wife after an argument.

Allen Iverson arrives at police headquarters Tuesday. He was to remain in custody through the afternoon.

The surrender came around 5:30 a.m., about half an hour after a convoy of sport utility vehicles and a minivan left the grounds of Iverson's $2.4 million suburban mansion.

The 76ers' tempestuous superstar had been ordered to stay at the house since prosecutors said last week they would charge him and his uncle with assault, terroristic threats and related offenses.

Iverson, who had met with lawyers Monday night, also faces gun charges. The 27-year-old player and his uncle had been expected to turn themselves in Tuesday, and reporters and photographers had been camped out around his suburban Gladwyne home throughout the night.

His attorney, Richard Sprague, said outside police headquarters that Iverson would plead innocent to the charges. He declined further comment.

As he arrived at headquarters, Iverson, who has had troubles on and off the court, could be seen wearing a white T-shirt and stretched across the back seat of a green minivan.

Police Commissioner Sylvester Johnson told reporters that Iverson would be in custody until at least late afternoon. Donna Sykes, a police inspector, said supervisors at the police detention unit would make sure that he did not get special treatment.

Iverson's uncle Gregory Iverson also turned himself in around dawn.

As Iverson prepared to turn himself in, his mother defended him outside his home late Monday.

&quot;He knows he's got to do what he's got to do,&quot; Ann Iverson said. &quot;I'm going to stick by my son because I know the man he is. I tell him don't worry about it, everything happens for a reason.&quot;

She arrived at the suburban home about 11:30 p.m. Monday with videotapes of popular comedies, including Eddie Murphy's &quot;Delirious&quot; and various Richard Pryor movies.

&quot;He wants to look at things that's going to make him laugh,&quot; she said.

Iverson is accused of throwing his wife, Tawanna, out of the mansion during a fight earlier this month, then barging into the cousin's Philadelphia apartment with a gun while searching for her the next night.

Iverson, who was told by police that he would be arrested if he left the grounds of his mansion before turning himself in, had not been seen outside his house since about 5 a.m. Sunday, at the end of a get-together with friends and relatives. The last glimpse of his wife came Wednesday. Neither spoke with reporters.

About a dozen fans mingled on the sidewalks Tuesday morning outside police headquarters, where Iverson was awaiting a bail hearing. Among them was a group of children selling lemonade, while employees of a Philadelphia sports radio station walked about in circus garb.

The Iversons were married last August, two months after Iverson led the 76ers to the NBA Finals for the first time in 18 years to end a season in which he was chosen as the league's MVP.

Iverson and his uncle are accused of threatening two people inside the apartment -- 21-year-old Charles Jones and 17-year-old Hakim Carey. Tawanna Iverson wasn't at the apartment when Iverson came looking for her, authorities said.

Police have searched Iverson's house and vehicles, but are not believed to have found a weapon.

In a court document filed Monday, police said one of the searches, in which investigators were seeking evidence of a domestic dispute between the Iversons, turned up two cell phones, a phone bill, other phone company documents and auto body repair documents. There was no mention of a gun. The police document did not say whether the search was of Iverson's house or cars.

As a teenager, Iverson was arrested in a Hampton, Va., bowling alley brawl in 1993 and spent four months in prison before then-Gov. Douglas Wilder granted clemency. The conviction was overturned on appeal in 1995.

In 1997, Iverson pleaded no contest to a gun charge after police near Richmond, Va., stopped a car in which he was a passenger and found a gun belonging to Iverson and two marijuana cigarettes. A marijuana-possession charge was dropped.

Since arriving in Philadelphia, Iverson has squabbled several times with 76ers coach Larry Brown and drew harsh criticism over an unreleased rap CD in which Iverson that used derogatory terms for women and gays.

MavKikiNYC
07-16-2002, 09:46 AM
&quot; As Iverson prepared to turn himself in, his mother defended him outside his home late Monday, {embellishment} but Iverson blew by her easily with a crossover dribble, and then shook his head disdainfully as he hustled back down the driveway on defense, shouting, &quot;You can't stop me, b*tch-ho'.&quot; &quot;

&quot;He knows he's got to do what he's got to do,&quot; Ann Iverson said. &quot;I'm going to stick by my son because I know the man he is. I tell him don't worry about it, everything happens for a reason.&quot; {embellishment} And the reason this happened is that when he was still just a little braided-a$$-haired punk gangstuh, he never had any limits put on him, never had anyone tell him &quot;No.&quot;, had the governor of Virginia step up for him and get him off the hook in a racially-motivated political ploy, had Big John Thomspon not controlling him and making excuses for his sorry a$$, and now that he's a multi-million-dollar-making corporation, he got an army of thug-defending lawyer$ out there to keep him out of the hole where he'd wind up as some bad man's boyfriend.

Son, I'm proud of you.&quot;

Addendum:

Watching AI's moms on a local newscast tonight and she's this totally Shenayay Jenkins-type muthuh. Hilarious. Couldn't script this stuff.

MavsFanFinley
07-16-2002, 10:54 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20020716/mdf72466.jpg

Drbio
07-16-2002, 11:14 PM
There's a report that when Iverson gave himself up he was drunk. What an idiot.

scooterj5
07-17-2002, 02:48 AM
Iverson's coughing a lot of slack for someone who is INNOCENT until proven otherwise

MavKikiNYC
07-17-2002, 07:51 AM
I will never complain about a driver's license picture again.

Murphy3
07-17-2002, 08:08 AM
i really don't care whether or not he's innocent or guilty in this case. it's just ashame that people like this punk are thrown in the spotlight because he can shoot 30 times a game and hit 40% of those shots..

come on... shouldn't a thug like this at least have to hit 45% before we put him on a pedastal?

MavsFanFinley
07-17-2002, 09:38 AM
I will never complain about a driver's license picture again.

LOL. I had similiar thoughts. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

MavKikiNYC
07-17-2002, 12:28 PM
SPORTS OF THE TIMES
Case of Arrested Development
By WILLIAM C. RHODEN

You couldn't make this story up: an African-American high school football and basketball star is convicted of a crime, sentenced to five years in prison. As his final act in office, the nation's first black governor steps in and grants him clemency. The athlete sits out sports for a year as a condition of clemency and receives a scholarship to play basketball at a prestigious university. He becomes an all-American, leaves college after his second season, becomes the first player taken in the N.B.A. draft, is voted rookie of the year and earns millions of dollars.

But here's the killer: Ten years after clemency is granted, the player ends up back where he began: behind bars, in police custody.

Sadly, this story is real; it is the story of Allen Iverson.

Yesterday in Philadelphia, Iverson turned himself in. The surrender ended a 13-day circus that the police say began when he tossed his wife out of their house and made threats while attempting to find her. He is charged with three felonies and various misdemeanors.

The drama would be compelling if it weren't so sad and silly. Aside from what the allegations say about domestic violence and spousal abuse, the Iverson saga underlines the flaw in an assembly-line method of producing basketball players. If you think the chicken industry is shameless, look at the process that prepares basketball players for market.

I don't know what happened at Iverson's mansion. I do know that that's not where this story begins. It began in 1993, when Iverson served four months in prison for his role in a brawl in a bowling alley in Hampton, Va. Instead of starting his senior year in high school that September, Iverson began serving his prison term.

On Dec. 31, 1993, L. Douglas Wilder, the governor at the time, ordered Iverson to be placed on furlough so he could continue high school. Wilder ordered Iverson to observe a nightly curfew and not to play sports while on furlough.

You would think that this experience would have put the fear of God into a teenager; and it did, temporarily, into Iverson. But big-time basketball took the fear right out. After he sat out a year, Iverson received a basketball scholarship to Georgetown.

This is precisely what is wrong with the conveyor-belt system. As soon as he got to Georgetown, the treadmill started. Iverson was the match that ignited a moribund program. He never had or took the opportunity to go through a redemptive process. There was no time for reflection, not on that stage.

In 1995, Iverson helped Georgetown advance to the Round of 16 in the N.C.A.A. tournament for the first time in six years.

At the end of his second year at Georgetown, Iverson conceded that the time he spent away from the game allowed him to reflect. &quot;I learned a lot, just from that little bit of time,&quot; Iverson said after his final college game. &quot;I learned a lot about people and how I had to present myself.&quot;

After the 1996 N.B.A. draft, Hampton, Iverson's hometown, threw a parade for him. Why? To celebrate his status as the first player chosen.

In August 1997, after Iverson's celebrated rookie year, the police found marijuana and a .45-caliber gun in a car Iverson was riding in. He pleaded no contest to a weapons charge and performed community service, and his record was wiped out after three years' probation.

Iverson will come away from this latest episode mostly unscathed. His wife has already said she will drop the charges, and evidence is flimsy at best that a gun was ever drawn.

The Answer, as Iverson is called, will lead the Philadelphia 76ers into battle next season, and after his first set of 50-point games, 1993 will be like a hazy memory. I'm not sure Iverson will ever realize what he was facing; but for Wilder's decree, Iverson would have become a prison statistic.

The owner of the 76ers should make Iverson take a one-year sabbatical from basketball. No games, no practice. A year off for family and introspection, the sort of thing that should have happened at the prison before Wilder, with the best intentions, set him free.

What can you tell Iverson that hasn't already been said? The governor of Virginia threw him a great pass. Wilder stopped what he saw as the legal lynching of a young man with a bright future. Nearly 10 years later, Iverson is back in the shadows of the gallows.

The judge who handed down the original sentence and saw the sentence commuted has to have a measure of satisfaction from Iverson's repeated brushes with the law. What's the old saying? You give someone enough rope....