View Full Version : Predrag Savovic and others

David
07-08-2002, 06:00 PM
ESPN.com: Draft 2002

Friday, June 28, 2002
Draft blew by these college, prep prospects

By Andy Katz
ESPN.com

The cameras weren't on Predrag Savovic. They didn't catch him trying to hide his disappointment for his adopted home in
Hawaii, his people back in Yugoslavia and his family and friends who were sitting with him in the stands at the Theatre at
Madison Square Garden.

Savovic wasn't the story, but he thought he should have been. This was supposed to be his
night, the night all his hard work paid off from playing hoops in Yugoslavia, to attending UAB,
to transferring to Hawaii and leading the Rainbow Warriors to two of the most successful
seasons in school history.

But the back-to-back NCAA berths and WAC titles didn't matter much Wednesday night,
not when he was snubbed during the NBA draft and not selected despite working out for 15
teams and being considered a lock for the second round as well as a borderline first-round
pick.

Instead, Savovic became the most notable name who wasn't drafted. And, even though he's
26, he's a European -- the latest "it" place to find players in the draft.

"I don't know what happened," Savovic said Thursday in New York while trying to make
sense of the draft and decide on his next move. "I was stunned. I was disappointed, especially
seeing all the people in front of me going. Everyone I have talked to in Yugoslavia and Hawaii
cannot believe this."

Savovic said once the draft moved past No. 20 he started to get his hopes up, assuming he would be chosen in the latter part
of the first round. When he wasn't selected by Sacramento to close the first, he just figured he would go in the second.

"But then they called the last pick and it was another name," Savovic said. "But I had a great time being here, no regrets. I
skipped my graduation and prom and skipped many things in my life. I said, 'Let's take a chance on this.' "

Savovic and his agent, Marc Cornstein, fear that he was hurt by a rumor that said he had a guaranteed contract in Europe,
more than the nearly $400,000 he could receive as a second-round pick in the draft. "That's not true at all," Savovic said.

"It's not fun expect to be drafted and hear everyone else's name called," Cornstein said. "He has been working out in New
York City the last two months and knew there was a likely chance he could go in the first round and wanted to be a part of
this. He earned that."

The consensus among NBA teams was that Savovic could have gone to Detroit, Phoenix, Denver, New Jersey, the Lakers or
the Kings near the bottom of the first round. But everyone passed on him and then the unthinkable happened for Savovic -- he
was shut out in the second round, too.

"It made no sense," said Hawaii coach Riley Wallace, who made the trip to sit with
Savovic in the stands. "The NBA teams are taking players sight unseen. But here's a
senior who was a class act, the academic all-American, well conditioned and an
excellent shooter and he doesn't get drafted."

And now Savovic has a tough decision. Cornstein said nearly half the teams in the
league called Thursday and were interested in getting him on a summer league team in
the next few weeks. But Savovic also received a standing offer once he wasn't
drafted Thursday from a European team that is guaranteed money, a deal that
Cornstein said is unrelated to the rumors prior to the draft. But this is an offer that
won't last long.

"If he goes international and has a great year next year, then he could impress NBA
teams to come over as a free agent in a few years," Cornstein said.

Or he could try his luck this summer before he's into his late 20s. "I have to make a decision in a few days," Savovic said.

The developmental league is out of the question for Savovic. He'll either make a go of it in training camp or Europe. And he's
not alone in this quandary. The same issue could face the other 10 players who have the best chance to make a roster even
though they weren't drafted.

Fordham sophomore point Smush Parker, probably the second biggest whiff on draft night, will likely have plenty of offers for
summer league teams. So, to, will junior college players Kei Madison and Lee Benson, Arkansas point Jannero Pargo, St.
Bonaventure guard J.R. Bremer, Oregon center Chris Christoffersen, Iowa's Luke Recker and Reggie Evans, Temple center
Kevin Lyde and Oklahoma forward and Portsmouth Invitational MVP Aaron McGhee.

But why were these players -- and a collection of other prominent names -- snubbed on draft night? As harsh as it sounds, the
consensus from NBA teams was the following on why these players weren't drafted:

WHY THESE PROSPECTS DIDN'T GET DRAFTED

Maurice Baker
Sr.
G
Oklahoma State
No position, not a point and too
small to be a "2."

Lubos Barton
Sr.
F
Valparaiso
Lacked a true position and had
defensive issues.

Lee Benson
Fr.
F
Brown Mackie
College (Kan.)
Age (28) and raw skills hurt his
chances.

J.R. Bremer
Sr.
G
St. Bonaventure
Not a true point guard.

Brian Brown
Sr.
G
Ohio State
Not quick enough to break a
player down or a true point.

Chris Christoffersen
Sr.
C
Oregon
Too much of a project, hands
weren't sound the upside is
questionable.

DeAngelo Collins
Sr.
F
Inglewood (Calif.)
HS
Too much baggage and not worth
the trouble.

Lenny Cooke
Sr.
G
Northern Valley
Regional HS (Old
Tappan, N.J.)
Simply not good enough yet to be
drafted.

Andy Ellis
Sr.
F
Texas Tech
Catch-and-shoot forward without a
true NBA skill.

Reggie Evans
Sr.
F
Iowa
Too undersized and not good
enough offensively.

Clarence Gilbert
Sr.
G
Missouri
Not a point guard.

Lynn Greer
Sr.
G
Temple
Not quick enough at the position
and had no ability to defend at this
level.

Anthony Grundy
Sr.
G
N.C. State
Not a true point guard.

Adam Harrington
Jr.
G
Auburn
Not playing in Chicago and limited
workouts gave him an incomplete.

Udonis Haslem
Sr.
F
Florida
Undersized to be a power player
in the league.

Kevin Lyde
Sr.
C
Temple
His injuries and the lack of
athleticism scared off teams.

Kei Madison
So.
F
Okaloosa-Walton
(Fla.) JC
One of the bigger shockers that
he went undrafted.

Aaron McGhee
Sr.
F
Oklahoma
All lefthanded and considered too
small.

Elvin Mims
Sr.
F
Southern
Mississippi
A project but could resurface as a
free agent.

Byron Mouton
Sr.
F
Maryland
No true position in the league.

Marvin O'Connor
Sr.
G
St. Joseph's
Not a point and too small to be an
NBA two-guard.

Jannero Pargo
Sr.
G
Arkansas
Has the upside and may get into a
camp as a free agent, but just got
squeezed out of the second
round.

Smush Parker
So.
G
Fordham
No one is quite sure why he
wasn't selected in the second
round.

Luke Recker
Sr.
F
Iowa
Not making a ton of shots in
Chicago hurt his stock.

Rolan Roberts
Sr.
F
Southern Illinois
No true position.

Brooks Sales
Sr.
C
Villanova
Not skilled enough and didn't do
one thing very well.

Preston Shumpert
Sr.
F
Syracuse
Too soft, too thin and not a good
defender.

Jobey Thomas
Sr.
G
Charlotte
Not a true point guard and not
consistent enough as a shooter.

George Williams
Jr.
G
Houston
Simply not good enough.

Kelly Wise
Sr.
F
Memphis
Injuries slowed his progress and
pushed him out of the draft but he
could resurface in the fall.

Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com. Katz covers the NBA draft for ESPN.com and ESPN.

ESPN.com: HELP | ADVERTISER INFO | REPORT A BUG | CONTACT US | TOOLS | SITE MAP
Copyright 2002 ESPN Internet Ventures. Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and Safety Information are applicable to this site. Employment
opportunities at ESPN.com.

Drbio
07-08-2002, 07:16 PM
I'm shocked.

MFFL
07-08-2002, 07:28 PM
<< I'm shocked. >>

My cat is too.

Murphy3
07-08-2002, 08:07 PM
my dog's breath smells like kitty