PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with the NBA salary system

Hoopsmeister
07-09-2002, 11:47 AM
From today's ESPN Insider (http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/archive?sport=NBA)

Insider polled six league executives about the contract demands of four prominent free agents this year and another six prominent members of the draft class of 1999. Who should get the max?

1. Michael Olowokandi -- Consensus: the max
We'll pause while Elgin Baylor revives Donald Sterling. While every source Insider talked to agreed that Olowokandi is still a project, they felt that given the dearth of big, athletic true centers in the league, Olowokandi was worth every penny. Given that the average salary for a starting center already starts at $7.5 million, Olowkandi's contract demands (a max deal would start him at about $10 million this season) aren't that ridiculous.

"Of all the guys on the Clippers, he's the player we all covet," one league executive told Insider. "He's still raw, but you see him improving every season. You're always a little concerned when you see a guy make a huge jump in his play during a contract year, but Michael's combination of power, athleticism and size doesn't come along very often. If he played on a team that featured him more in the offense, I think he'd be an All-Star."

Another GM put it more bluntly. "If the Clippers screw this up and he becomes an unrestricted free agent, barring some sort of injury or atrocious season, he'll get max offers from several teams."

1. Elton Brand -- Consensus: 6 years, $70 million
It shouldn't come as any surprise that after averaging a double-double for his career, there are still people out there who doubt Elton Brand. While it's difficult to argue with his numbers, and it's becoming tougher to knock his record after what he did in Los Angeles this year, teams are still leery of giving an undersized four the max.

"Is he a dominant player at his position?" one team executive queried. "Yes and no. Anyone who can average a double double is dominant. There just aren't many players who can do it. Brand's consistency and character also both work in his favor. But does he have the ability to take over a game. I've watched him play a lot and I haven't seen it. I don't think he's irreplaceable."

Olowakandi is worth more than Brand? The mind boggles.

TheKid
07-09-2002, 11:55 AM
I've never understood this sort of mentality. I said that when Shawn Bradley was taken number two in the draft. I remember saying there is more talent out there. People always salivate when they see tall players. However I'm sorry I just can't go with that philosophy. If ANYTHING, these GM's should remember a guy by the name of Sam Bowie.... That should JOG some memory...

Murphy3
07-09-2002, 12:04 PM
<< But does he have the ability to take over a game. I've watched him play a lot and I haven't seen it >>

i completely agree with this comment on brand..(something similar can be said about KG)
however,i don't really think either are worthy of the max..i also think brand is more valuable

MavKikiNYC
07-09-2002, 12:05 PM
Paradox isn't it---as long as Kandi fails to produce consistently, execs will keep seeing him in terms of what they hope his potential is, and will pay him accordingly.

Brand demonstrates the ability to perform consitently at star-level, and gets taken for granted.

Do these execs not notice the trend?

Rhylan
07-09-2002, 12:22 PM
As long as GMs and owners are willing to overpay for potential rather than pay market value for production, then salaries are going to continue to escalate at a pace that those same owners and GMs don't like.

Dooby
07-09-2002, 02:00 PM
If there is more to this article, I would love to read it.

TheKid
07-09-2002, 02:05 PM
however,i don't really think either are worthy of the max..i also think brand is more valuable

This is what I was referring to about a week ago in a thread. I was saying how I thought the ONLY person who should be considered for the Max would be Brand and even then I would have to strongly consider that. I'm not so sure I would jump at giving Brand the max either BUT this I do know or atleast I see, he's FAR more valuable in my opinion than Khandi.

aexchange
07-09-2002, 02:12 PM
i might get bashed for this.

but i think brand is a bit more deserving of a max contract than say finley is. then again, there arent that many max players at the 2 spot other than mcgrady and bryant imho.

you can make a strong case for ray allen and finley to be close to max players, but i dont know if you can say that fin dawg is a definate max out player.

TheKid
07-09-2002, 02:17 PM
I won't bash you for stating your opinion, I'll just kindly tell you, you're RETARDED!!!!i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

No seriously though, I do disagree with your assessment though. I think Finley is deserving of the max for a NUMBER of reasons, not solely from a talent standpoint. However alot of the attributes that Finley bring to the table that I'm referring to Brand brings those same things. Things such as leadership, great PR person for the organization, consumate professional, hard worker on and off the court, well liked in the organization. However Finley brings a few more attributes to the playing floor that Brand does if you ask me. However that's just my opinion.

Murphy3
07-09-2002, 02:30 PM
i would have to agree with you aexchange..partially because of age..even though fin does bring some other things to the table

however, to be honest... if someone wanted to give either fin or brand the max, i don't have too much of an issue with it

aexchange
07-09-2002, 02:35 PM
don't get me wrong, i love finley.

he's a total team player in an age where everybody is selfish.

but hypothetically, if i had to pick between giving a max out contract to brand or to finley, i would lean towards giving it to brand for a number of reasons.

the biggest being age.

MavKikiNYC
07-09-2002, 03:13 PM
When is a player eligible to receive a max contract?

Bayliss
07-09-2002, 03:14 PM
For some reason Brand reminds me of Michael Cage.

Brand is worth keeping to the Clips more than Kandi is, however Kandi is more of a commodity to other teams than Brand is.

**shrugs shoulders** Go figure.

Bayliss
07-09-2002, 03:15 PM
<< When is a player eligible to receive a max contract? >>

After the player has watched Jerry McGuire.

Hoopsmeister
07-09-2002, 09:05 PM
<< however,i don't really think either are worthy of the max..i also think brand is more valuable

This is what I was referring to about a week ago in a thread. I was saying how I thought the ONLY person who should be considered for the Max would be Brand and even then I would have to strongly consider that. I'm not so sure I would jump at giving Brand the max either BUT this I do know or atleast I see, he's FAR more valuable in my opinion than Khandi. >>

I agree--I don't consider Brand a max player. But I consider him FAR closer to being a max player than Kandi will EVER be.

MFFL
07-09-2002, 10:32 PM
<< I won't bash you for stating your opinion, I'll just kindly tell you, you're RETARDED!!!!

No seriously though, I do disagree with your assessment though. I think Finley is deserving of the max for a NUMBER of reasons, not solely from a talent standpoint. However alot of the attributes that Finley bring to the table that I'm referring to Brand brings those same things. Things such as leadership, great PR person for the organization, consumate professional, hard worker on and off the court, well liked in the organization. However Finley brings a few more attributes to the playing floor that Brand does if you ask me. However that's just my opinion. >>

I agree that Finley deserves the max. But if Cuban wasn't the owner and Finley didn't come up for renewal LAST year, Finley wouldn't have gotten the max. Last year was weird - teams were offering the max because they didn't yet understand the salary cap.

Usually Lurkin
07-10-2002, 02:00 PM
(I haven't been following closely, but) I was under the impression that Finley was awarded max payment as reward for what he has been to the team in the past, and as incentive for what he will be in the future. Which means he gets max in part because of his age, not in spite of.

As for kandi and brand, the reasoning seems to be: Since you need a superstar, go ahead and gamble on that guy that might be a superstar (no matter how slim the chances), rather than on that guy that will be just a star (no matter how definite his chances). not necessarily a philosophy I agree with.

Drbio
07-10-2002, 04:23 PM
Finley deserved the Max. His play combined with his attitude make him a great fit in Big D.