PDA

View Full Version : George remains a Laker

MavsFanFinley
07-17-2002, 04:16 PM
George remains a Laker

By Chad Ford
ESPN.com

After traveling to Washington, Chicago, Minnesota, New Jersey and Utah, Devean George finally decided to stay in Los Angeles, agreeing to a four-year, $21 million deal with the world champion Lakers on Wednesday.

George's agent, Mark Bartelstein, confirmed the agreement Wednesday afternoon. George got the full mid-level exception from the Lakers -- $21 million was the most they could pay the 6-foot-8 forward. The contract includes an option for George after Year 3.

"He probably took a few years less than he could've gotten elsewhere," Bartelstein said. "But this is where he wanted to be. The Lakers were his first choice."

George could've signed with the Minnesota Timberwolves or Utah Jazz for six years, according to Bartelstein.

George has spent the better part of the last two weeks trying to find a situation that would allow him to spread his wings a bit. Both the T-Wolves and the Jazz were willing to offer similar contracts to George, but in the end, sources say George felt that the situation in L.A. suited him the best.

The 1999 first-round pick enjoyed his best season during the 2001-02 campaign, averaging 7.1 points and 3.7 rebounds in 21.5 minutes a game for the Lakers. George's stock really rose in the playoffs, particularly in the NBA Finals.

Against the New Jersey Nets, George gave L.A. a spark off the bench, averaging 5.0 points and 3.6 rebounds and coming up with 11 points, six boards and two blocks in 20 helpful minutes in the title-clinching Game 4 win.

aexchange
07-17-2002, 04:24 PM
George is seriously SERIOUSLY overrated.

he should have taken the longer years and money and smiled. buckner is infinately better than george is.

Murphy3
07-17-2002, 06:22 PM
AE, exactly

LakerMania
07-17-2002, 07:58 PM
George is seriously SERIOUSLY overrated.

he should have taken the longer years and money and smiled. buckner is infinately better than george is

Buckner is not infinitly better than George, in fact the stats slightly favor George even though they have almost exactly the same amount of minutes and George is 4" taller,more athletic, and younger.

Having said that, I don't think George is worth the full MLE either. George definitely has potential but that word has killed as many teams as it has helped. I really hope that the Lakers have a sign-n-trade involving a big PF or a quick point guard in mind. But if George does stay and he is a bust, at least it's for only 4 years & 21 mil, and I can think of several teams that have paid players a LOT more cash than they are worth.

I hope Mitch makes me eat my words....we will see.

aexchange
07-17-2002, 08:42 PM
george isnt worth much more than 2-3 mill a year.

every person who is drafted by jerry west seems to have the midas effect. all nba evaluators think the guy is gold. george hasnt shown anything other than being able to brick some shots and dunk every now and then when kobe is on the bench.

G GS MPG FGM-A FG% 3PM-A 3P% FTM-A FT% OFF DEF TOT APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
Buckner
44 16 20.1 104-198 .525 5-16 .313 40-58 .690 1.50 2.40 3.90 1.1 .70 .43 .61 2.80 5.8

George
82 1 21.5 215-523 .411 66-178 .371 85-126 .675 1.00 2.70 3.70 1.4 .87 .51 .80 2.30 7.

he isnt worth 4.7 million a year. saying george is more athletic is debateable. buckner is a guy who was able to guard duncan, and routinely gets stuck on post players because of his strength and defensive presence. then again, the mavs dont have any good post defenders anyways.

but the bottom line is i dont see why there is such commotion over george. on the mavs, he wouldn't be any better than the 10th man, just slightly ahead of bradley and esch.

Murphy3
07-17-2002, 08:46 PM
it's much the same with the new york yankees...
because they are winning..their prospects are often overvalued in trades...
that's one way the yankees are able to stay on top..trading supposed "top prospects" for solid veterans.

well..the lakers are winning so many assume that the players that put up decent numbers on the best team in the nba team will put up better numbers on a lesser team...