PDA

View Full Version : Dunleavy will not coach Warriors

MavsFanFinley
07-18-2002, 10:24 AM
Report: Dunleavy says father-son conflict 'risky'

ESPN.com news services

Now that his son has been drafted by and will play for Golden State, Mike Dunleavy Sr. has no intention of coaching the Warriors, the San Francisco Chronicle reported in its Thursday editions.

After having informal discussions with Golden State general manager Garry St. Jean last week in Long Beach, Calif., Dunleavy Sr. told the Warriors on Tuesday that he will not pursue their head coaching position because he has "too much to risk" by coaching Mike Dunleavy Jr.

"There was a mutual agreement that at this time, this is in the best interests of Michael (Jr.), their family and the team," St. Jean told the Chronicle.

Mike Dunleavy Jr., who starred at Duke before leaving after his junior season, was the third pick in the 2002 draft.

"Absolutely, I would want it," Dunleavy Sr. told the the newspaper, "(but) I felt like it would be too awkward a situation. There are too many obstacles. He needs to grow on his own at this point."

Dunleavy, who has coached the Los Angeles Lakers, Milwaukee Bucks and Portland Trail Blazers, has a 398-390 career record in 10 seasons.

In withdrawing his name from consideration, Dunleavy Sr. ended any lingering speculation about his interest in replacing interim coach Brian Winters, one of his college roommates at South Carolina.

"I couldn't get myself to really feel like it would be something that would be comfortable," Dunleavy told the Chronicle on Wednesday. "Maybe later in Michael's career it will be a different situation."

The Warriors' coaching search has centered on three candidates: Winters, New Jersey Nets assistant Eddie Jordan and Atlanta Hawks assistant Eric Musselman. Winters is scheduled to meet with team officials Thursday, according to the Chronicle.

MavKikiNYC
07-18-2002, 10:44 AM
Sanity rules.