PDA

View Full Version : Vin Baker headed to Boston

LonestarROB
07-19-2002, 10:23 AM
Link (http://msn.espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/0719/1407509.html)

MavsFanFinley
07-19-2002, 10:47 AM
Sounds like Seattle is getting the better end of that deal...or am I missing something?

Hoopsmeister
07-19-2002, 11:11 AM
The deal doesn't seem to make a lot of sense so far. From Seattle's point of view its good in that they finally clear Baker out. But they end up with a minutes problem at center (Booth, James and now Potapenko). And why do they want Anderson? They have Payton and Anderson seems a strange choice for a backup (though admittedly no stranger than NVE). On Boston's side, they already have Walker and whatever criticism can be leveled at him, Baker is not going to take his minutes--and neither of them can really play center or small forward.

Murphy3
07-19-2002, 11:32 AM
<< On Boston's side, they already have Walker and whatever criticism can be leveled at him, Baker is not going to take his minutes--and neither of them can really play center or small forward. >>

or PF defensively, for that matter

TheKid
07-19-2002, 11:46 AM
Well maybe in the east he can. Remember last time he was in the East, he was an ALL-STAR. There aren't any good big men in the east anymore..

Hoopsmeister
07-19-2002, 12:13 PM
I just can't see him as a center Kid. I could easily see an Eastern team that didn't have a good pf (just about anybody but Toronto, Boston, or New York) going for Baker for the reason you give--the conference has almost no good big men so even a player like Baker could make a big difference. But Boston does have Walker and I can't see either of them at center, even in the Eastern Conference.

Murphy3
07-19-2002, 12:25 PM
if your goal is to compete in the east..that's fine.. but their ultimate goal would have to be to compete for a title..and this does nothing to push the celts in that direction

TheKid
07-19-2002, 12:57 PM
I agree with both of you to a certain extent. The problem with alot of the teams from the east is, they just feel if they have team good enough to compete in the east, all they have to do is get to the playoffs and ANYTHING can happen in the East.. They feel they can get to the finals and anything could happen once they get there. (However the last three Eastern conference teams found out that it doesn't work that way.)

I don't think Baker is the answer either but I guess they feel for the Eastern conference he is.

Dirk77
07-19-2002, 01:08 PM
this trade makes NO sense. So is Baker going to start at c or come off the bench?

And who is Boston's new pg?

madape
07-19-2002, 01:32 PM
Baker is certainly an improvement of Potopenko, and I think the Celts are just as sick of Anderson as the Sonics are of Baker. The Celtics were very close to competing in the NBA finals last year. If they had any kind of inside presense at all they might have made it.

Big Boy Laroux
07-19-2002, 02:15 PM
exactly, they had no inside presence to keep the nets honest. they just played tough D on pierce, and walker was content to launch ill-advised threes...

mpb319
07-19-2002, 02:29 PM
I heard that Joe Forte would go to Seattle and that either Earl Watson or Shammond Williams would come to Boston to play PG....they also have Omar Cook plus Tony Delk has played some PG...Walker is the assist guy anyway.