PDA

View Full Version : It's frustrating being a Knicks fan...

TheKid
07-24-2002, 08:36 AM
I don't know WHY Layden would want to go this route instead of Clark. This is why this team is in TROUBLE with him as the GM.

__________________________________________________ ______________________
Knicks: Have eye Doleac, not Clark

Wednesday, July 24, 2002

BY DAVE D'ALESSANDRO
Star-Ledger Staff

The Knicks still need a center. Keon Clark is the best player taller than 6-9 remaining in the free-agent market, other than Michael Olowokandi, who is sure to re-sign with the Clippers. The Knicks have no interest in Keon Clark.

Somebody explain all that to Jim Mourer.

"All I'm going to say is that the Knicks haven't shown much interest all along," said the agent, whose client was freed by Toronto Monday to become an unrestricted free agent, enabling Clark to sign with any team. "And I don't think they want him. ... Well, there's not much interest. They did call (Monday), but there's nothing to report.

"I just don't know how else to say it: The Knicks have other priorities, other than Keon."

It is an odd stance for Knicks president Scott Layden to take, considering that the 6-11 Clark had a breakout season for the Raptors in 2001-02, when he averaged more than 11 points and seven rebounds per game. It is especially odd that they can have a starting-caliber center for the price of the $4.5 million midlevel exception.

Indeed, Layden seems more interested in Cleveland refugee Michael Doleac, who has better shooting range but is not nearly the defender-rebounder that Clark has proven to be. Layden met with Doleac Sunday in Utah, and while there is a mutual interest, there is also competition.

"They have interest, we have interest, and we're still talking," said Doleac's agent, Glen Schwartzman. "It could be good fit both ways but hasn't gone beyond that. We'll have met with all seven teams that have an interest by (today), but it hasn't gotten to the point of offers yet."

It is unlikely that any of the seven teams bidding for Doleac will surrender its entire exception, however. Only two players have received the entire $4.5 million bankroll (Larry Hughes in Washington, Chauncey Billups in Detroit), and the first deal was for only three seasons. Schwartzman obviously wants to get a longer commitment for Doleac, but he is also realistic -- and patient.

"We're not in a rush. It's an unprecedented, slow market, with lower cap numbers and the luxury tax, so we want to make sure he's in a good situation," Schwartzman said. "(Getting the full exception) is a goal we'd like to reach, but the trend has been for most teams to split it in some way -- like Orlando did last year with Horace Grant and Patrick Ewing."

Drbio
07-24-2002, 08:46 AM
I expect Layden to give Doleac 7 years at the max. i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif

I sympathize.

MavKikiNYC
07-24-2002, 09:48 AM
I saw some allusion the other day on a NYKs board to possible "off-court activities" being an issue for Keon--both in terms of Toronto's willingness to let him go, and in terms of other teams' less-than-headlong rush to sign him. I have no idea at all whether there's any substance (no pun intended) to it.

To be perfectly honest, I haven't seen Clark play all that much, but I've not really been able to work up all that much enthusiasm for him. He'd be an interesting possibility, but IMO doesn't really look like the final piece for the Mavericks, let alone for the Knicks. He'd be an upgrade for the NYKs, true, but not a difference-maker.

Hoopsmeister
07-24-2002, 10:06 AM
<< To be perfectly honest, I haven't seen Clark play all that much, but I've not really been able to work up all that much enthusiasm for him. He'd be an interesting possibility, but IMO doesn't really look like the final piece for the Mavericks, let alone for the Knicks. He'd be an upgrade for the NYKs, true, but not a difference-maker. >>

I agree in general. But Clark is light years better than Doleac which seems to be the choice the Knicks are looking at. If they were worried about payroll it would be one thing (Doleac won't command a contract like Clark) but if its purely a talent and skills decision, Clark should be the Knicks choice hands-down.

MavKikiNYC
07-24-2002, 10:16 AM
I get the sense that the NYKs are looking at Doleac PLUS a possibly significant upgrade to another position; OR Clark. Depending on what the other prospect is, it becomes a tougher call.

TheKid
07-24-2002, 02:19 PM
Hoops, I assume it HAS to be a payroll thing because if they are looking at it from a talent standpoint then Layden is an idiot. I also don't think Clark is the answer to the piece of any puzzle BUT he's a better choice than Doleac and if it's for ANY reason other than payroll then Layden should be fired.

Hoopsmeister
07-24-2002, 02:32 PM
<< Hoops, I assume it HAS to be a payroll thing because if they are looking at it from a talent standpoint then Layden is an idiot. I also don't think Clark is the answer to the piece of any puzzle BUT he's a better choice than Doleac and if it's for ANY reason other than payroll then Layden should be fired. >>

Layden should be fired anyway. Even if he is not messing this one up too.