PDA

View Full Version : Kidd Withdraws, Davis Replaces

MavsFanFinley
08-05-2002, 10:30 AM
Kidd withdraws, Baron Davis named to USA World Championship Team
August 5, 2002

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (Ticker) -- USA Basketball announced on Monday that All-Star point guard Jason Kidd has withdrawn from the 2002 World Championship Team and selected Baron Davis as his replacement.

Kidd, who led the New Jersey Nets to the NBA Finals last season, was injured recently during some preseason conditioning and decided to pull out with training scheduled to begin on August 16 in San Francisco.

"I'm very disappointed that I am not going to be able to participate for USA Basketball and the United States in the World Championship later this summer," Kidd said. "I was excited and extremely honored to have been selected to the USA team and I was looking forward to playing here in the United States with another outstanding group of players. I had a great experience in the 2000 Olympics and I would have liked to play again."

Davis' selection was made by the USA Basketball Men's Senior National Team Committee.

"It's unfortunate that Jason Kidd won't be a part of the 2002 USA Basketball World Championship Team," said National Team Committee chairman Stu Jackson. "He has been a great player for USA Basketball over the years and will be sorely missed. We are very fortunate to have a quality replacement in Baron Davis who has international basketball experience as a part of the 2001 Goodwill Games team that played in Brisbane, Australia last year."

Regarded as one of the NBA's top young point guards, the 23-year-old Davis recently re-signed a multi-year contract with the New Orleans Hornets.

"This is a great honor, but it's unfortunate what happened to Jason Kidd," Davis said. "I'll do my part to make everyone happy. I'm happy to be a part of USA Basketball, to be playing with the guys on the team and I'm looking forward to winning the gold medal.

"It's an honor and a privilege to wear that USA flag on your chest and to be part of this team that is representing the United States. I appreciate having the opportunity and I'm going to go out and represent my country to the best of my abilities."

Davis will share point guard duties with Andre Miller, who was recently traded from the Cleveland Cavaliers to the Los Angeles Clippers.

Davis averaged career highs of 18.1 points, 8.5 assists and 3.1 steals in 2001-02, his third NBA season. He raised his scoring average to 22.6 points in the playoffs as the Hornets advanced to the Eastern Conference semifinals for the second straight year.

The World Championships will be held in Indiana from August 29-September 8.

The first seven players of the USA World Championship squad -- Kidd, Reggie Miller and Jermaine O'Neal of the Indiana Pacers, Ray Allen of the Milwaukee Bucks, Michael Finley of the Dallas Mavericks, Shawn Marion of the Phoenix Suns and Antonio Davis of the Toronto Raptors -- were named last November.

Andre Miller, Paul Pierce of the Boston Celtics and Raef LaFrentz of Dallas were added to the USA team, and Duke guard Jay Williams, the second overall pick in the 2002 draft by the Chicago Bulls, was announced as an alternate in March.

Two months ago, forwards Elton Brand of the Clippers and Ben Wallace of the Detroit Pistons were selected to the final two spots.