PDA

View Full Version : Videogames

LonestarROB
03-02-2001, 10:26 PM
Well since we lost this thread in the transfer, I thought I'd start another one.

Anybody played/bought any good videogames lately? What videogames are you looking forward to?

I pretty much put NBA Live away. It got too boring. Probably trade it in soon. The newest games I gotten are. ATV: OffRoad Fury(PS2). That games pretty sweet. It's a blast to play with more then 1 player. Brother bought Star Wars:Starfighter the other day. That game kicks a$$ too but it's way to short. Only took about a day to beat.

Can't wait for Gran Turismo 3, NBA Street, and Triple Play.

Hales233
03-02-2001, 10:31 PM
i only like sports games, but i've been out of the loop the last couple years...i only got the first playstation, so i guess i'm a loser!i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif

LonestarROB
03-02-2001, 10:36 PM
Your not a loser. There TONS of people don't have Playstation 2's. There still VERY hard to find.

But yeah, I pretty much play every kind of game(except RPG's) but sports games are where it's at for me too.

Hales233
03-02-2001, 10:42 PM
are they still that hard to get?? i had no idea...

LonestarROB
03-02-2001, 10:50 PM
Yep, I have yet to see one anywhere. I look everytime I go to a store(which is about twice a week) that sales electronics and I have yet to see one.

Hales233
03-02-2001, 10:52 PM
wow...that's crazy huh??

LonestarROB
03-02-2001, 10:58 PM
Good thing DJ and I had ours reserved at launch i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif WOOHOO.

djb
03-02-2001, 11:41 PM
Actually I never reserved mine! I just happened to see the bundle for sale at Walmart.com one day. It was sold out in less then 20mins, but I was able to get my order in (this was about a week after the PS2 was released).

scooterj5
03-03-2001, 03:08 AM
Best bball game was Hoops on Nes hahaha

djb
03-03-2001, 09:52 AM
No way! Remember Arch Rivals on NES? heheh that dude with the mo-hawk was a badass i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

LonestarROB
03-03-2001, 01:51 PM
Nah, Double Dribble was the best basketball game on the NES.

djb
03-03-2001, 02:12 PM
Well I never had the luxury of owning an NES i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif I had an Atari way back when I was a tyke, but my next system didn't come until much later.

1. Game Boy (1989)
2. TurboGrafx 16 (1990)
4. Sega GameGear (1991)
5. TurboExpress (portable TurboGrafx, 1991)
3. Super Famicom (Japanese version of SNES..I got it in 1992 I think, 6mos. before it was released in America)
6. Sony Playstation (1998)
7. Sony PS2 (2000)

I haven't really been into vid games since the SNES days. NBA Live 98 took a huge chunk out of my life my freshman year in college though i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif My roommates and I always had fierce games! There have also been periods when PC games like Doom II (the MOTHER of all games!), Quake, WarCraft, Age of Empires 1 and 2, and Diablo have made a hermit out of me. But now I'm pretty much staying away from them. I swear if I install AOE 2 again, I'll never get anything done! That games OWNS!

LonestarROB
03-03-2001, 02:30 PM
I'm not really into PC games. Just can't sit infront of a computer monitor very long. I'd rather be chillin on the sofa playin console games. Which I LOVE.

The Atari was my first too.

Atari 2600
NES
SNES
N64
PSOne
PS2

Never could get into Sega for some reason.

Big Boy Laroux
03-05-2001, 08:34 AM
Double dribble! with the black-and-white slo-mo dunks...

that makes me think of blades of steel, too. what a great game.

djb
03-05-2001, 08:38 AM
Anyone remember Jordan vs Bird?! I'm talking about the original old-school b&w game on the PC and NES.

LonestarROB
03-05-2001, 08:45 AM
lol, I remember those black and white slow motion dunks. Those were cool.

I remember Jordan-vs-Bird too. Infact, I think I had it at one point. Don't remember for what though.

FineCubanCigar
03-05-2001, 06:16 PM
TONY HAWK 2 is the bomb shit

scooterj5
03-06-2001, 03:14 AM
Have any of you in the US played Super INternational Cricket on SNES??? AWESOME game. Tony Hawk on Playstation is up there too (1st version probably better but 2 is fun as well)

Big Boy Laroux
03-06-2001, 08:08 AM
Jordan Vs. Bird! I had that. You could either play 1-on-1 (jordan vs. bird), take part in a slam dunk contest (jordan), or take part in a three point contest (bird). that game was awesome, and actually tougher than it looked. In the dunk contest, you had to get the dunk just right in order to make it.

LonestarROB
03-06-2001, 10:00 AM
Nope, never played cricket. In fact I've never seen the videogame. And I agree with you, Tony Hawk 1 was better IMO.

giostar
03-06-2001, 10:38 AM
I had no idea there was even a cricket game out there. i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif

djb
03-06-2001, 11:22 AM
Cricket..is that like Frogger?

heheh j/k i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

djb
03-06-2001, 04:43 PM
Rob~

I hear that "The Bouncer" was released in stores today. I know some of the early reviews haven't been too good, but damn that game looks sweet! I haven't touched my PS2 in a while, but am definitely planning on getting it next week after I finish this site i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

LonestarROB
03-06-2001, 06:12 PM
Yeah, todays actually the ship date so it should be in stores tomorrow but I'm not going to get it until I have a chance to rent it first. I was high on 'The Bouncer' but have seen way too many bad reviews. Hopefully it's not as bad as everyone says. Let me know your thoughts if ya get it i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif .

I'm just dying for some baseball games right now. Just one more week to go.

djb
03-07-2001, 06:36 AM
Here's a review of The Bouncer:
IGN review (http://ps2.ign.com/reviews/13592.html)

I also want a copy of NBA HOOPZ now that it's out. Ahh the memories! NBA Jam kicked ass on SNES i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

LonestarROB
03-07-2001, 07:48 AM
hehe

yep, saw that review yesterday. I'm still going to rent before I buy though i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif .

btw, I think you should hold off on buying NBA Hoopz. First because it sucks but also because NBA Street comes out soon. That game looks SWEET. It's in the same mold as NBA Jam too. But you actually(from what I've read) have to play defense to win. You should check out the preview and some movies of it. Like I said, It look SWEET.

NBA Street (http://ps2.ign.com/previews/15993.html)

Also, it's made by the same people that brought us the fantastic SSX.

djb
03-07-2001, 08:11 AM
Wow that games does look good! The fact that it's EA Sports Big's follow-up to SSX is enough to change my mind about NBA Hoopz!

Then again, if NBA Hoopz has the option to let your player be on fire, then I'll probably pick it up as well i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif I remember playing NBA Jam's single player mode and throwing down 160pts (almost all 3-pointers) in those 3min quarters!

LonestarROB
03-07-2001, 09:22 AM
It's cool. You play in turnaments and to win the turnament you have to beat a real life Legendary street team. Everytime you win you take one player off the other team and put him on yours. It's got Rucker park and the Cage in it too. Awesome!

djb
03-08-2001, 11:57 AM
What do you think about the Game Boy Advance? I know I'm not much into gaming anymore (no time, no money, no time), but I love getting my hands on the newest toys (*cough* PS2 *cough*) i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif It would also be nice to play some more old-school games like the Super Mario game coming out (as opposed to the overdone 3D crap they're pumping out these days).

LonestarROB
03-08-2001, 01:31 PM
Never been a fan of the hand helds. Don't know why.

dallaslaker
03-08-2001, 08:50 PM
I really liked NBA2k for the Sega, actually even better than NBA Live for the PS2. That's about the only console games that I play. Anyone play games on the computer? I'm a diehard Starcrafter. It's old, but it's better than any other online game out there.

LonestarROB
03-09-2001, 08:29 AM
Nope, not here. Never heard of Starcraft. I'm purely a console gamer.

djb
03-09-2001, 09:23 AM
I was a big Warcraft II fanatic in highschool. I played that and Doom II on DWANGO all the time (a dial-up game network where you can play against up to 3 other people; this was before Internet gaming became so popular). Anyway, I never tried StarCraft, but last year I couldn't stop playing Age of Empires 2! That game is like the WarCraft/StarCraft games, but a hundred times better i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

dallaslaker
03-11-2001, 02:04 AM
AOE2 is better in terms of graphics, but for pure playability, starcraft is the hands down winner. The game is like 3 years old (positively ancient!), but it's still one of the top games. Can't wait for Warcraft III which should be awesome also.

LonestarROB
03-11-2001, 05:52 PM
Anybody ever played All-Star Baseball on the N64? It comes out this week for the PS2 and I'm contemplating whether to try it or stick with Triple Play.

djb
03-11-2001, 05:59 PM
The last baseball game I've ever played was 'Baseball' on the Game Boy! It was one of the Game Boy's original launch titles i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

LonestarROB
03-11-2001, 07:49 PM
Damn, I take it you don't like baseball videogames. Baseball, though boring as hell to watch, has always been one of my favorite videogames to play. I get the new edition every year. Always been a fan of Triple Play but everyones raving about All-Star Baseball(PS2) this year.

djb
03-11-2001, 09:46 PM
I really haven't tried any baseball games so maybe I'll rent one sometime. I still need rent or buy The Bouncer, Dynasty Warriors, and the new NBA games (ESPN, and HOOPZ) though i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

LonestarROB
03-12-2001, 09:06 AM
Have you seen that Bouncer commercial? Looks pretty cool. Played DW2 and though it was ok, it got too repetitive real quick. Beat up a group of people, go to the next place, beat up some more people, next place....etc. I also want to try the NBA game from ESPN but with NBA Street just around the corner, I'm not interested in buying it.

2 more days until Triple Play i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif .

LonestarROB
03-14-2001, 02:02 PM
Got Triple Play today. Early impressions are good. But I need more play time to know whether or not it is awesome. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif .

djb
03-15-2001, 07:20 PM
Have you seen the reviews for Onimusha Warlords? Man that game sounds AWESOME! Deinitely gotta add that to my wanted list! Now should I have to decide which to get first..cuz I still want The Bouncer.

djb
03-15-2001, 07:24 PM
After reading a couple more reviews, the verdict is in: Onimusha Warlords ROCKS! Once I finish up this site, I'm heading over to Best Buy!

LonestarROB
03-15-2001, 10:09 PM
Yeah, it got really good reviews from everyone. It didn't really catch my attention though. Guess I'll rent it and give it a try.

LonestarROB
03-15-2001, 10:13 PM
Ring of Red and Shadow of Destiny also got good reviews by most everybody. I'm not interested in those games either but it looks like the High quality PS2 games are starting to roll out more often.

Evilmav2
03-15-2001, 11:54 PM
The progression of my favorite games: Barbarian-Centurion-Starcontrol-Leisure Suit Larry (1&2)-Civilization-Dune2-Starcontrol2 (one of the greatest unappreciated games ever)-Warcraft-SimCity-Caesar-Command&Conquer-Warcraft2-Civilization2 (maybe the greatest game that I have ever seen)-Syndicate-Caesar2-C&C Red Alert-Starcraft-Dune2000... And many others that do not make the final cut, or that I have played, but never devoted hours to... Believe it or not, I really don't spend much time playing games on the computer- I just was an avid follower of the newest games (non-first person shoot-em-up) that came out since I was a kid...

Evilmav2
03-15-2001, 11:56 PM
The development of Warcraft 3 sounds a little problematic, but it could end up being a classic...we'll just have to see...

djb
03-16-2001, 12:09 AM
Did you ever play those old Sierra games (besides Leisure Suit Larry)? Man I used to LOVE those games! That is, before they started making them animated or 3D or whatever. Quest for Glory I (updated version) and III, Robin Hood: Conquest of the Longbow, King's Quest V and VI, Space Quest I (updated version), V, VI, Rise of the Dragon..those games OWNED i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif $8 hint books baby!!

Linde
03-16-2001, 01:43 AM
my favorite games are
c&c red alert / ra 2
age of empires 2
fifa 2000
siedler 3/4 ( settler ? )
sudden strike
anstoss 3 ( soccer manager )
star trek games
monkey island 1/2/3/4
formel 1 games

Big Boy Laroux
03-16-2001, 07:43 AM
King's Quest and Space Quest were awesome! I had a few of the king's quest games for my APPLE IIC. yup, i had an APPLE IIC.

Evilmav2
03-16-2001, 01:23 PM
I was all about Space Quest... I have fond memories of the Legend of Monkey Island to... Also, I almost forgot about Age of Empires2- that game was a classic...

djb
03-16-2001, 01:24 PM
That game IS a classic i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif It's still pretty popular I think, though I haven't played it in months (if I install it, then I'll never get anything done).

Evilmav2
03-16-2001, 04:15 PM
Civilization II still stands as my measuring stick for all strategy/development games... I played that game into the ground...

LonestarROB
03-16-2001, 09:52 PM
Damn, it just keeps getting better and better. Check out these 6 brand spankin new movies of NBA Street.

NBA Street Movies (http://ps2.ign.com/previews/15993.html)

One word, SWEET

djb
03-16-2001, 10:11 PM
Wow that does look pretty slick! The animation looks awesome, but the characters look really artificial.

LonestarROB
03-17-2001, 08:51 AM
hmm.....I think they look really good. Alot better then those found in NBA Live.

All the stuff going on in the background looks cool too.

djb
03-22-2001, 09:07 PM
For all PlayStation 2 owners (that would be you, Rob), go here (http://www.redfaction.com/get_demo.cfm) for a FREE PS2 demo of Red Faction! For game info and screenshots, head over to www.redfaction.com (http://www.redfaction.com/).

LonestarROB
03-22-2001, 10:04 PM
mmmmmm...nah, I'm not really interested in Red Faction. It does look awesome though.

I'm planing to go on a Game rental bonanza next week. Bouncer, All-Star Baseball, Ring of Red, Ominishu(?) and a few other I can't remember off the top of my head. I need to buy a new game. Hopefully I'll find something worth buying.

LonestarROB
03-23-2001, 10:38 AM
I also get Playstation demo's from OPM and PSU, so i'll probably get one from them sometime.

djb
03-23-2001, 10:39 AM
Are those mags or something? Man I haven't picked up a vid game mag since the days of SNES i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

LonestarROB
03-23-2001, 10:59 AM
OPM: Official Playstation Magizine. Comes with a demo disk. playable and non-playable(usally not that good though). The mag is really good though.

PSU: Playstation Underground Magazine. 2 demo disks(no magazine). 1st disk is full of codes, previews of upcoming games, behind the scenes stuff, etc..etc.. 2nd disk is entirely playable and non-playable demo's.

djb
03-23-2001, 01:51 PM
Let me know how you like Onimusha Warlords. That's really the only game I want to buy right now, considering how bad the reviews for The Bouncer have been i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif Hmm well that and Dynasty Warriors 2, which I STILL really want but haven't gotten!

LonestarROB
03-23-2001, 03:52 PM
Have you ever played DW2? Did you send in the demo disk form that came with the PS2? DW2 is on there. I didn't really like it. It was kinda fun a first but got really boring fast.

I'll let you know what I think about Onimusha Warlords if/when I get it. Bouncer too.

djb
03-23-2001, 03:54 PM
I played the first one a few years back and really like those types of games (Final Fight, Double Dragon..ahh the memories!).

LonestarROB
03-28-2001, 05:56 PM
Can't find Onimishu(?) but was able to get Bouncer today and...well... I suggest you rent it and make your own opinion.

To me it's way too boring. It's like DW2 in a way that you fight some people then go to the next area and fight more people and on and on. That's all you do. In Bouncer though you don't even get to walk around really. You fight like 3-4 people then the split second the fights over it goes to a cut screen(movie, what ever you wanna call it). The cut screen lasts a few minutes(2-3 times longer then the fight's usually), then it drop's you in another area and you fight 3-4 more people(fight's only last about 30 seconds). That's all you do over and over again. And the fighting it self is slow and boring IMO.

On a good note, the Graphics are fantastic.

Also got Top Gear Dare Devil, and Theme Park Rollor Coaster. Top Gear is pure crap. Simple as that. Theme Park...well...I'm actually enjoying it. It's alittle something different for a change. You build Theme Parks and have to keep your customers happy to keep your Park running.

My blockbuster suck. They had nothing i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif .

LonestarROB
03-30-2001, 01:36 PM
Found Onimishue(spl?) and it's pretty good. It's basically Resident Evil except win a sword instead of guns(you may get a gun deeper into the game, I don't know). Graphics are superb. Controlls take a little getting used to but there not bad.

If you like the Resident Evil style games, I'd recomend it.

djb
04-02-2001, 10:53 AM
If you're into fighting games, DOA2: Hardcore is on sale for $29.99 over at Frys!

LonestarROB
04-02-2001, 10:59 AM
Yea, that was one of the first PS2 games I played and I hated it. It was really slow IMO. The graphic's where awesome though. But I'm not much into fighters anyways.

djb
04-02-2001, 05:59 PM
Check this out if you haven't already:

http://ps2.ign.com/news/33019.html

djb
04-02-2001, 06:02 PM
i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

turbo.mav
04-08-2001, 05:29 PM
****dallaslaker**** whats your b.net name i wanna play with you sometime, im also a diehard SC player

LonestarROB
04-09-2001, 01:53 PM
Slow going's on in the videogame world lately IMO. Anybody buy or rent any games that are worth checking out? I'm starving for something new.

LonestarROB
04-12-2001, 04:50 PM
It's coming!

"This morning, Activision officially announced Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, for six platforms! Not only do we get another THPS for the PlayStation, Game Boy Color and PC, we also get the all important Xbox, PlayStation 2 and Game Boy Advance versions.

"Players go high flying through some of the hottest skating locales in the world including Skater's Island in Middleton, Rhode Island, Rio, Los Angeles, Canada, Tokyo and Paris. Fluid animations let gamers pull off hundreds of combo moves and tricks including nollies, manuals and lip tricks using the franchise's signature solid control scheme."

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 is jam packed with new skateboarding pros, such as Bam Margera of MTV Jackass fame, and features returning favorites Steve Caballero, Rune Glifberg, Eric Koston, Bucky Lasek, Rodney Mullen, Chad Muska, Andrew Reynolds, Geoff Rowley, Elissa Steamer and Jamie Thomas. Additionally, fans can create their own skateboarding idols and personalize their skaters with glasses, hair, armbands and tattoos. The game's expanded multi-player modes increase re-playability for the ultimate in skateboarding fun."

Gaming-age.com (http://cgi.gaming-age.com/gaming/front/index.pl)

WOOHOO!! Can't wait i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif .