PDA

View Full Version : "Jazz" moving back to New Orleans?

southern_sweets
10-10-2002, 03:22 PM
I heard this on Pardon the Interuption today. Apparently the Utah Jazz are thinking of selling the Jazz name to New Orleans and taking a new name. They mentioned that Utah might want to be the Pioneers.

This makes sense to me. The "Jazz" name doesn't belong in Utah. Is it just me or is anyone else bothered by teams moving and keeping names that make no sense in the places they move to? I don't know the rules, but it should be "if you move you have to pick a new name."

Personally I think the Pioneers isn't that great, but I'm no fan of the Utah Jazz. I think maybe they could come up with something even more meaningful for Utah...like the Utah Sobriety or how about the Sharps. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

‹berDirk
10-10-2002, 03:49 PM
what about... the "Utah Mormons" or the "Utah Bigomies"
i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Also, when charlotte gets a new team, if this thing happens, the new charlotte team can take back the name Hornets.

Dooby
10-10-2002, 03:52 PM
<< what about... the &quot;Utah Mormons&quot; or the &quot;Utah Bigomies&quot;. >>

The correct term is &quot;biggomists&quot;.

There aren't a lot of Lakes in California, either. maybe the lakers should swap names with the T'wolves.

madape
10-10-2002, 03:53 PM
Five suggestions:

Utah Snowflakes
Utah Crackers
Utah Lilly Whites
Utah Zealots
Utah Latter Day Demons

southern_sweets
10-10-2002, 04:01 PM
You are the man, Madape!

How about this new rule (I'm now making the rules for names in the NBA): All new teams will be named by a local vote on five suggestions by Madape. I think what would be the solution. Then we wouldn't have teams like the &quot;Utah Jazz&quot; in the first place!

And, new name for the Lakers: The Drive-Bys

My vote, if I lived in Utah (let's hope not) would be the Later Day Demons.

madape
10-10-2002, 04:18 PM
&lt;edit&gt;

I have lots of great things to say about Los Angeles - but I think it is in the best interest of the board for me to edit myself here. Making fun of Salt Lake City is OK. Making fun of L.A. is OK too. But targeting both back to back in the same thread can lead to more misunderstanding and name-calling than I care to be a part of. So for all you P.C. babies out there, call this a pre-emptive edit.

southern_sweets
10-10-2002, 04:20 PM
Darn Madape...rules are ruining our fun!

Now I have to edit mine too.

What's the world coming too when a guy like Madape can't speak his mind?!!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

madape
10-10-2002, 04:29 PM
Thanks for blowing my cover!

Drbio
10-10-2002, 05:17 PM
All this madape censorship is bullcrap. I demand that the President do something.

Base Line Guy
10-10-2002, 05:28 PM
don't hold back now MadApe, you have quite a cult following on here.

BLG

southern_sweets
10-10-2002, 05:32 PM
It was awesome!!
Madape was on a roll!

Can we get a catagory where we don't have to be politically correct? For those of us who can dish it out and take it! i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

senorfrog
10-10-2002, 06:02 PM
Sorry guys. My family is Mormon (I'm quite inactive) and it is not a cult, full of zealots or worship the devil. I hold high respect for their lifestyle.

senorfrog
10-10-2002, 06:08 PM
On top of that, Mormons don't practice polygamy anymore (haven't for over 100 years) and more than half of the religion is concentrated outside of the U.S.. It's too bad you guys think that way.

Base Line Guy
10-10-2002, 07:11 PM
you were right MA, someone got pissed. I was saying MadApe has a cult following, nothing more. Settle down now.

BLG

senorfrog
10-10-2002, 07:17 PM
I am settled down. I just take exception to someone calling my family &quot;demons&quot;, that's all.

‹berDirk
10-10-2002, 07:24 PM
&quot;On top of that, Mormons don't practice polygamy anymore (haven't for over 100 years) and more than half of the religion is concentrated outside of the U.S.. It's too bad you guys think that way.&quot;

Actually sir, you are quite, quite wrong! Obviously most mormons don't practice polygamy anymore, but some still do. In fact, there was an article about a Morman in Utah a few months back and it was talking about his various wives and how he and his sm. congregation still practice polygamy.

senorfrog
10-10-2002, 07:30 PM
If you knew anything about the mormon religion, you would recant that. People who practice polygamy are excommunicated from the mormon church. It is a well known fact. Look it up.

‹berDirk
10-10-2002, 07:34 PM
Did I say it wasn't? No sir, I did not. I simply said SOME Mormons still practice it, i didn't say they weren't frowned opoun. And I KNOW most don't practice it, but a few still do.

senorfrog
10-10-2002, 07:41 PM
No Mormons still practice it, because if they did, they would be excommunicated. Therefore, they are not Mormons. They are part of a small fringe group outside of the mainstream. I could go on and on about this because of my extensive research at Rutgers on Mormons, but I digress.

‹berDirk
10-10-2002, 07:43 PM
well, they were called Mormons, but whatever.

senorfrog
10-10-2002, 07:43 PM
In using that rationale, would it be fair to say that all Catholics are child molesters? Hey, a few do it, so why not paint the entire culture. I think we'd agree that the argument does not have a valid point.

‹berDirk
10-10-2002, 07:49 PM
Yes, as I said 10 TIMES, hell, let me copy and paste it..&quot;And I KNOW most don't practice it, but a few still do.&quot;

There you go. Im done, of course most mormons don't practice it.

a lot of catholics however, have been child molestars.

senorfrog
10-10-2002, 07:58 PM
You're in way over your head. I'd have to disagree with your Catholic comment as well.

‹berDirk
10-10-2002, 08:04 PM
not most, but a lot. That is simply a fact, a fact there has been a good number of reported cases at least.

veruca salt
10-10-2002, 08:24 PM
i don't think you're quite getting your head around the concept here UD.
You can call yourself whatever you want, I could say I'm a Hindu, but if i don't practice the religion, I'm not a Hindu.
Tom Green (the bigomist, not the comedian) can call himself a Mormon all he wants, but the simple fact is he is going against the doctrine. Bigomy isn't condoned by the Mormon church.

MavKikiNYC
10-10-2002, 08:38 PM
&lt;ahem&gt;

If the Jazz do sell the rights to the name, they should wait until after Stockton and Malone retire...it just wouldn't look right to see them wearing a uniform with another mascot on it.

New name for the Utah team should coincide with a rebuilding effort.

senorfrog
10-10-2002, 08:55 PM
Ya...but the Utah &quot;Shi*&quot; doesn't quite have a good ring to it for a rebuilding era.

‹berDirk
10-10-2002, 09:00 PM
veruca, ur wrong.

veruca salt
10-10-2002, 09:03 PM
wanna give me a round about reason why i'm wrong??

‹berDirk
10-10-2002, 09:11 PM
not really. but the jist is, they had been mormons there whole life and they believed they were practicing the mormon religion. By your logic, Bin Laden isn't really Islamic.

veruca salt
10-10-2002, 09:15 PM
Yes, that is exactly my logic. Like i said, just because you say you're a certain religion, doesn't mean you are. Whatever god you happen to say you worship doesn't just say &quot;we'll he's been calling himself a Morman all along, even though he doesn't really live like a Morman, that'll do...welcome to heaven&quot;
There is a doctrine that one follows, merely identifying yourself with one religion is not quite enough.

senorfrog
10-10-2002, 09:18 PM
<< not really. but the jist is, they had been mormons there whole life and they believed they were practicing the mormon religion. By your logic, Bin Laden isn't really Islamic. >>

Here's an idea, Uber. Let's just drop it before I really do get pissed. Thanks.

‹berDirk
10-10-2002, 09:27 PM
Here's a idea Mr. Frog, how bout you don't tell me what to do.

Veruca, ok, I understand where your coming from entirely, I do. I simply disagree with your logic, but I see what your saying.

So Im done with this convo.

southern_sweets
10-10-2002, 09:43 PM
You all please drop this now!!

I did not start this thread for a religion debate or to hurt anyone.

I am sorry if any of my jokes or anyone elses offended any one here. I consider you all my friends and want you to be happy and accepted.

Senor Frog is 100% correct, polygamy (sp?) is not condoned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and hasn't been for a very, very, very long time. He is correct that other religions have equally unacceptable practices in their pasts as well as by specific individuals that do not apply to most practioners today.

Let me share an experience with you. When I was a senior in college, with honors grades, an officer in the accounting fraternity and a very hardworking young women ready to enter the workforce, I had an interview experience I will never forget. A gentleman from a large public accounting firm asked me in the beginning of an interview where I grew up (just general getting to know you stuff) I said although I have lived several places, I spent the majority of my childhood in New Orleans. After a very dirty look and shaking his head he said, &quot;I can't imagine anyone raising a child in a place like that.&quot; Wonderful! Perhaps I could tell my Mother and Daddy he said that. I will never forget the way that made me feel... How someone else's ideas about a place they had never lived or maybe even been would affect the way I was viewed as a professional and as a person.

Please, let's stop arguing and judging each other and have fun. I did not intend to start a fight here. I am glad you spoke up, Senor Frog. Please do not ever hesitate to do so.

Peace!

senorfrog
10-10-2002, 09:45 PM
<< Here's a idea Mr. Frog, how bout you don't tell me what to do.
>>

Your debating skills are lacking, Uber. It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and prove everyone right.

‹berDirk
10-10-2002, 09:46 PM
Actually, I have been to Utah, I have several Mormon friends, who say im right, so im done, finis.

‹berDirk
10-10-2002, 09:47 PM
&quot;Your debating skills are lacking, Uber. It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and prove everyone right.&quot;

I don't want to fuel your idiocy farther, im done.

‹berDirk
10-10-2002, 09:55 PM
One final commemnt. You need to realize, this is simply a message board, people are going to make fun of things, just take it w/ a grain of salt, you can't get so offended. No one is trying to make fun of the Mormon religion.

‹berDirk
10-10-2002, 10:14 PM
Mr. Frog, Veruca, were still cool, right? i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Rhylan
10-10-2002, 10:28 PM
how about editing a single post rather than posting 4 thousand times on top of yourself?

Base Line Guy
10-11-2002, 08:49 AM
I really liked Tom Green in Road Trip.

BLG

MavsManiac
10-11-2002, 01:52 PM
keeping with the theme of straying from the topic on this thread, I'll just toss in that I liked Tom Green in Road Trip, too i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif Hated the show with him.. umm.. ?pleasuring? large mammals &amp; wearing a deer carcass, tho... just plain sick!

Base Line Guy
10-11-2002, 02:25 PM
Freddy Got Fingered? Yes, I couldn't make it through that one.

BLG

MavsManiac
10-11-2002, 03:06 PM
yes! musta blocked the name from memory, it was so bad! i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif

southern_sweets
10-11-2002, 05:03 PM
http://www.tomgreen.com/about/pictures/donnyandmariefeb2000/image19.jpg

OutletPass
10-20-2002, 02:44 AM
senorfrog is quite right..in fact, my ex's great-great-great grandfather was the subject of the last Polygamy case in the U.S. Supreme Court...it's the U.S. v. Reynolds if you're weird enough to want to look it up. The State of Utah had to outlaw polygamy as a precondition to joining the good old us of a. And church doctrine says the same.

My ex is a mormon and my wife's ex is a mormon...wouldn't call them Demons...well yes I would. No offense frog...but those two are just plain psychiatric.

As for me, I'm just an ole' recovering catholic.