grbh
10-18-2002, 05:36 PM
Who will it be?

Nash13
10-18-2002, 07:01 PM
Nene Hilario.

ÜberDirk
10-18-2002, 07:03 PM
Im almost 100% sure it'll be Gooden or Caron. My darkhourse is Okur.

#1MavsFan
10-18-2002, 07:27 PM
I think it's juan dixon or butler. Juan will be a great nba player (one of the best ever) Mark my Word

ÜberDirk
10-18-2002, 07:40 PM
Juan, uhhh ok.

Fidel
10-18-2002, 09:09 PM
Ginobili. If Pop gives him enough pt. I think he will. Ginobili has really impressed me. I think the Spurs will have a shot at the title (not likely, but they are my dark horse).

FINtastic
10-19-2002, 01:37 AM
#1, I loved watching Juan Dixon in college, but I just don't see him being anything more than a 6th man.

But anyways my pick for ROY is Caron Butler (what a stud). JWill probably is my second choice.

#1MavsFan
10-19-2002, 01:46 AM
I thought Juan should have been a top 3 pick. The only reason he wasnt is because they said he is too small to play in the nba. But thats also what they did said in college and look at what he did. The guy is a natural leader, has great heart, plays good D and has alot of talent. I think if washington can convert him to a pg, they got the steal of the draft. I think he'll get roy or butler. Why wasnt butler picked higher?

FINtastic
10-19-2002, 02:05 AM
#1, as I have said, I am a really big fan of Dixon's and if he succeeds, more power to him. But success in college doens't always equal success in the pros. Look at Joseph Forte from the year before. I'd say he was the second best player in college basketball in the 2000-2001 season. However, so far he has sat in street clothes for pretty much his whole rookie season. This year Forte might actually see some PT, but I think it will mainly be as a backup. Quite simply, I think Juan Dixon is a too short to play the 2 and doesn't possess extraordinary athleticism to make up for this lack of height. I also think that his handle isn't quite good enough to control the 1. I think that if he can learn to play the point, then his future looks a lot brighter, but as of now, I think he has the dreadful label of being a "tweener."

As for Caron Butler, I think he was this draft's Paul Pierce. I think that a lot of teams simply fell in love with certain players and Caron got left out. I thought Caron should have been top 4 or 5, but he slid down to 10. But I think Caron has the tools to succeed in the NBA. He seems to be a great slasher, and last year he displayed a much improved 3 pt shot.

ÜberDirk
10-19-2002, 10:57 AM
actually mavsfan, it was a HUGE shock that Juan went as high as he did, everyone thought he wasn't going till around the 30th pick. No one thought he should of been top 10. This is the nba, he won't be that great.

ocelot_ark
10-19-2002, 01:08 PM
I see no way Drew Gooden DOESN'T win this award. He's been putting up Duncan-esqu type numbers in the preseason.

ÜberDirk
10-19-2002, 01:25 PM
there's something we both agree on Ocelot i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Royalty_Inc
10-19-2002, 03:53 PM
Drew Gooden should be close to a 20 - 10 player. I think he will get the minutes and the ROY.

Butler could also get it because I don't see many players on his team beating him out of a spot.

As for a darkhorse surprise special I go with Gordon Giricek of the Memphis Griz provided he can get the minutes behind Battier. I think he will, however, win the starting SG over Dickerson. (This according to the position ranks at Real GM which lists Battier as the starting SF with Gasol and Gooden at the PF...although the line up could really be Williams, Battier, Gasol, Gooden, and Wright with Giri as the 6th man.)

The Royal One
i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif

LakerMania
10-19-2002, 04:10 PM
I am suprised no one has mentioned DaJuan Wagner. Assuming he recovers well from that bladder infection, I think he will be the ROY. He's in the perfect position to put up big #s.

LakerMania
10-19-2002, 04:14 PM
<< I think it's juan dixon or butler. Juan will be a great nba player (one of the best ever) Mark my Word >>

What are you seeing that the rest of the world isn't?

Evilmav2
10-19-2002, 05:03 PM
http://www.tbf.org.tr/tbfweb/tbfweb.nsf/50b358611b8ce95fc2256b870053ba97/bdfeff76d7cfbdbfc2256bf70054bad4/BS_Blob/0.7C?OpenElement&amp;FieldElemFormat=gif
Rookie of the Year Marco Jaric

http://www.nba.com/media/clippers/graphic_ask_elgin2.jpgElgin says, &quot;I Guarantee it!&quot;

ÜberDirk
10-19-2002, 05:57 PM
I love Gordon Giricek, ROY, I doubt it. But this Croatian can ball. He can drill the 3 nicely. I expect him to start at sg, and get minutes at sf and a few at pg.

#1MavsFan
10-19-2002, 06:07 PM
<< actually mavsfan, it was a HUGE shock that Juan went as high as he did, everyone thought he wasn't going till around the 30th pick. No one thought he should of been top 10. This is the nba, he won't be that great. >>

Yeah I know they were expecting him to be a late first round pick. But if I was a gm I would have drafted him in the top 3picks. In three years we'll be saying that washington got the biggest steal in the 2002 draft and yao ming was the biggest bust ever! Dixon will average 25points. 5assits, 2.5steals,and 3rebounds over his career. Mark my word!

Evilmav2
10-19-2002, 06:25 PM
I am suprised no one has mentioned DaJuan Wagner. Assuming he recovers well from that bladder infection, I think he will be the ROY. He's in the perfect position to put up big #s.

Maybe...
Wagner scouting report: Great midrange shooter, only adequate from 20-feet and beyond. Strong, tricky, can maneuver in a crowd and get his shot off. Will pass under duress when he penetrates, but has no point-guard skills whatsoever. Cannot defend anybody. Has no idea of team play. Nice kid, though. Will force Cavs to employ a two-guard front.

LakerMania
10-19-2002, 07:27 PM
<< I am suprised no one has mentioned DaJuan Wagner. Assuming he recovers well from that bladder infection, I think he will be the ROY. He's in the perfect position to put up big #s.

Maybe...
Wagner scouting report: Great midrange shooter, only adequate from 20-feet and beyond. Strong, tricky, can maneuver in a crowd and get his shot off. Will pass under duress when he penetrates, but has no point-guard skills whatsoever. Cannot defend anybody. Has no idea of team play. Nice kid, though. Will force Cavs to employ a two-guard front. >>

You could say the same thing about AI, and that's what this kid is a slightly taller, stronger version of.

FilthyFinMavs
10-19-2002, 08:47 PM
Butler, Jay, and Gooden. None of these guys got anything on Gooden though I think Juan could b ea good player in this league but I dont put money on it. I give ROY to Jay though I think however far Bulls go is gonna be because of Jay he is already taking a leadership role by takin MJ's locker who no one has took since MJ.

Nash13
10-20-2002, 11:34 AM
Nene Hilario

Drbio
10-20-2002, 11:47 AM
tough call....I'll go with Drew Gooden.

Fidel
10-20-2002, 06:26 PM
just saw there´s a poll.
grbh, do yourself a favor and include Ginobili as an option at least.
I´m really surprised no one of you mentiones him. He was probably the best guard at the worlds and you all know who the guards for the US were. No I´m not saying he´ll be better then Pierce right away, but he has tremendous potential. You all got to see how ready Gasol was last year, and Ginobili has the same kind of expirience and is probably even more talented. Maybe he´ll have trouble to adjust or doesn´t get enough pt, but I think that´s highly unlikely. We shall see pretty soon.

Cipherous
10-20-2002, 07:44 PM
I say Yao Ming. This guy has some great passing skills and at 7'6&quot;, its almost impossible to block this guy's shot. He has excellent range within the arc and is known to take out like Wang. His offensive game is like a NBA small forward but the height of a center. Also, unlike his former chinese teammate, Ming has a good inside game. He can shoot hooks over anybody in the league and has a quick fade away. The problem with him is his conditioning and lack of weight training. Which all can be easily ratified with some good trainers. Also, the Rockets lack a quality center, which gives Ming alot of PT to play with. I say give him 2 months to get used to the NBA type game and he'll give you some numbers to be impressed about. This year has to be one of the most talented classes I've seen yet: Bulter, Dunleavy, JWill, Ginibolli, Dixon, Ming, Wagner and the list goes on.

PS, the wizards picked Dixon to fill up the arena, University of Maryland is very close to DC and the MCI center and I reckon they expect alot of students to come see Juan. Juan is under rated but I doubt he'll see PT with Larry Hughes, Stackhouse at the 2 and Tyrone Lue and Chris Withney at point, but then again if Juan can be coveted to a point, he'll most likely see more touches and become a shoot first type of guard (Lue or Witney aren't anything special).

Heres my picks
1) Yao Ming - Read above.
2) JWill, hard to choose between him and Ming but he'll do great things for chicago
3) Bulter -Great athelicism and his body is NBA ready.
4) Wagner -Great athelicism but right mentality?
5) Ginibolli, this guy just tore the US team apart with his offense

#1MavsFan
10-20-2002, 07:59 PM
<< I say Yao Ming >>

I think Yao is going to be the biggest bust ever. He wont do anything against the centers in the nba.

Cipherous
10-20-2002, 08:48 PM
<< I think Yao is going to be the biggest bust ever. He wont do anything against the centers in the nba. >>

Ok, and you're basing your assumptions on what?

FINtastic
10-20-2002, 09:15 PM
Let me say that I would be shocked if Pedrag Savovic does not win Rookie of the Year. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

#1MavsFan
10-20-2002, 09:37 PM
<<

<< I think Yao is going to be the biggest bust ever. He wont do anything against the centers in the nba. >>

Ok, and you're basing your assumptions on what? >>

The fact that he is underweight to play center and that he's going to have a tough time adjusting to the NBA.

grbh
10-21-2002, 08:12 AM
Ginobilli is added, meant to put him on there initially but I forgot.

He will be a nice player this year, but ROY I doubt.

Gooden appears to me to be teh most NBA ready.

Royalty_Inc
10-21-2002, 12:24 PM
BTW...does your poll read Roy Williams (you meant Jay right) or do the Cowboys get to jump in on this poll?

One thing I hate is when people say stuff like &quot;Caron Butler will be good because I see him as a Paul Pierce player&quot; or &quot;Dujan Wagner seems to me to be AI like&quot; and so forth because most people have never seen these guys play many games and you are just going with what all the so called media experts are saying. We have all heard it because we all watch TNT, ESPN etc...come on...lets come up with our own ideas not not try to pass on other people's stuff as our own.

The Royal One
i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

grbh
10-21-2002, 01:22 PM
oops, Fixed it, I kept Roy Williams, cause he has a chance at ROY also just not in the NBA

madape
10-21-2002, 01:25 PM
For the record, I voted Dunleavy

ÜberDirk
10-21-2002, 01:53 PM
Gooden is basically a lock. Fidel, I love Manu, but he has zero chance at roy. He simply won't put up those kinds of stats. He won't get a ton of pt. I do think 11-3-3 is reasonable for him.

Nash13
10-21-2002, 02:16 PM
Nene Hilario or Ronald Murray

ÜberDirk
10-21-2002, 02:31 PM
nash13, try no.

LakerMania
10-21-2002, 03:02 PM
<< BTW...does your poll read Roy Williams (you meant Jay right) or do the Cowboys get to jump in on this poll?

One thing I hate is when people say stuff like &quot;Caron Butler will be good because I see him as a Paul Pierce player&quot; or &quot;Dujan Wagner seems to me to be AI like&quot; and so forth because most people have never seen these guys play many games and you are just going with what all the so called media experts are saying. We have all heard it because we all watch TNT, ESPN etc...come on...lets come up with our own ideas not not try to pass on other people's stuff as our own.

The Royal One
i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif >>

I have seen Wagner play, and he does play a similar game to AI. Very aggressive if not a little out of control. His game and even his mentatlity is very AI-like. I am not sure who was the first &quot;expert&quot; that compared Wagner to AI, but it does not take a freakin mastermind to make the connection.

Royalty_Inc
10-21-2002, 11:47 PM
The first expert, as I recall, was AI himself who drew attention to Dajuan when he said his boy was a baller when he was asked about him. He said &quot;he plays like me.&quot; The next experts have been evey other sports talk show host, beat writer and commentator. Look on the Web at DaJuan's profile and you'll probably see that too. Kinda like Harold Miner and his being referenced to Jordan all the time. Do we have a Baby AI in the making?

I've seen him, too, at Memphis. Aggressive and out of control is exactly what I thought of. Also, he doesn't have the shooting touch that AI does. E Strick played like AI too I thought (aggressive, out of control, and ability to somehow score with questionable shots). I really liked him plus he could play D and distribute a bit.

The Royal One

<<

I have seen Wagner play, and he does play a similar game to AI. Very aggressive if not a little out of control. His game and even his mentatlity is very AI-like. I am not sure who was the first &quot;expert&quot; that compared Wagner to AI, but it does not take a freakin mastermind to make the connection. >>

FINtastic
10-22-2002, 01:52 AM
Actually Royalty, I have for some time really been on the Caron bandwagon. Ever since I saw him in the Global games, where he dominated. The kid is athletic, and can shoot the 3 really well. He looks ready to play in the NBA and he will play for a team where he should get a lot of minutes. I thought he was awesome in college and I think he will be really good in the pros as well. I really brought up the Paul Pierce comparison to say why he slid so far in the draft. If you noticed both got picked at the 10th pick, when both should have been picked higher. However, they do both have that nasty slashing ability in their game. I really don't know what I did that was so wrong in post. Should I describe every game I ever saw Caron play in? Should I desribe the definition of his muscles? Honestly, I don't see any harm in my first post.

FINtastic
10-22-2002, 01:56 AM
And since you were talking earlier about Dejuan and AI, I think the only way you make the comparison between the two is by saying they are both short, scoring two guards who don't pass often. However, DeJuan's game is more of a muscle you up and draw the foul, while Allen Iverson is quicker and will try to blow past you. They are similar but not really the same.

Royalty_Inc
10-22-2002, 01:17 PM
Sorry bud...I wasn't really picking on you but on these types of comparisons in general. I tend to think that when you see a player you quanitify him on his talents, abilities and potential. Unfortunately the best way for some folks to do that is to compare them to existing or previous players. I understand that will happen.

You have to admit that a lot of these comparisons come from the media. Then you get on discussion boards and people are quoting them word for word and scenario for scenario such as the TNT Draft analysts on draft night saying how Butler was Pierce-like and had slipped in the draft to the same position and yada yada (not saying you are doing that.)

I like Butler...but I don't think he's as ready as Pierce was from the gate.

As far as Wagner and Iverson...I think your analysis of them is right on. I tend to think that a guy like Darrell Armstrong (who no one compares with Iverson) has a game more similar to AI's then Wagner. The only difference now is that Armstrong has lost steps and energy due to his age but has gained better Point skills.

TRO
Keep posting...I'll try not to get the paddle out.
i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

<< Actually Royalty, I have for some time really been on the Caron bandwagon. Ever since I saw him in the Global games, where he dominated. The kid is athletic, and can shoot the 3 really well. He looks ready to play in the NBA and he will play for a team where he should get a lot of minutes. I thought he was awesome in college and I think he will be really good in the pros as well. I really brought up the Paul Pierce comparison to say why he slid so far in the draft. If you noticed both got picked at the 10th pick, when both should have been picked higher. However, they do both have that nasty slashing ability in their game. I really don't know what I did that was so wrong in post. Should I describe every game I ever saw Caron play in? Should I desribe the definition of his muscles? Honestly, I don't see any harm in my first post. >>

Nash13
10-22-2002, 02:27 PM
ya'll may not know about Nene Hilario and Ronald Murray now, but i guarantee you will by the end of the season.

grbh
10-22-2002, 03:08 PM
As far as Murray, I don't know a lot about him, except he was a stud in D2 ball. I will ask you this though, who was the last second round player to seriously compete for the Rookie of the Year Award.

Nene might turn out to be a great player, but I think he is far to raw to compete for the ROY.

ÜberDirk
10-22-2002, 04:41 PM
Nash, I know exactly who Murray and Nene are. Knew about em both 2 years ago. Murray won't do shit. Nene will be very good soon, but this year, mabye 10/5, but no roy.

FINtastic
10-22-2002, 05:23 PM
From the reports I have heard on Nene, he is raw as sushi right now. He sounds like a HS player in my opinion. He won't really be ready to play in the NBA environment right now, but when he is, look out. I haven't ever seen the kid play, but from what I have heard on the kid, I really like. Kind of a player that I wished the Mavs would have been able to draft (unfortunately we were about 50 slots too low).

Oh, and sorry I kind of exploded on Royalty Inc. I was having kind of a bad day with this whole Quincy getting benched deal and the Cowboys giving up on their whole season. I just felt I was being singled out again, and words were being shoved in my mouth again. No harm done.

Frank_Wang
10-24-2002, 12:51 AM
Drew Gooden will win.

Royalty_Inc
10-31-2002, 12:24 PM
As you recall my darkhorse special is Gordon Giricek. Looks like he made quite the impression in his debut.

Everyone in the fantasy leagues is snatching him up left and right.

The Royal One

<< Drew Gooden should be close to a 20 - 10 player. I think he will get the minutes and the ROY.

Butler could also get it because I don't see many players on his team beating him out of a spot.

As for a darkhorse surprise special I go with Gordon Giricek of the Memphis Griz provided he can get the minutes behind Battier. I think he will, however, win the starting SG over Dickerson. (This according to the position ranks at Real GM which lists Battier as the starting SF with Gasol and Gooden at the PF...although the line up could really be Williams, Battier, Gasol, Gooden, and Wright with Giri as the 6th man.)

The Royal One
i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif >>

Royalty_Inc
10-31-2002, 12:26 PM
Oh yeah...and Giricek was drafted by..........THE MAVERICKS!!!!

And to believe that I used to hate the draft picks they used to make.

TRO