PDA

View Full Version : Wang Zhi Zhi update

dallmav
03-04-2001, 04:13 AM
Chinese officials who represent 7-1 center Wang Zhi Zhi are prepared to release him from his contract and pave the way for him to join the Mavericks, possibly by the end of this month, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported Saturday. Xin Lancheng, the director of the Chinese Basketball Management Center, told sportsAsia.com and China's South Sports newspaper that Wang will be allowed to leave his Baji Rockets team and play for the Mavericks later this month provided the Mavs make the playoffs. Assistant coach Donnie Nelson, who does the bulk of negotiations when it comes to international players, said he talked to two of Wang's Chinese representatives on Friday and was inspired by those discussions. "We're really encouraged by the talks and we think that there's a very good probability that he could join us at the end of this year," said Nelson, who also is the Mavericks' director of player personnel. "He's very talented, and we're very high on him."

erub
03-04-2001, 01:26 PM
Isn't it too late for him to be on the playoff roster?!?

LonestarROB
03-04-2001, 01:36 PM
Yes, but if we are expacting him to do something in the playoffs. We are in trouble. That's why I say stay there. I'd rather him stay in China and play basketball and improve on his game then come to Dallas now and ride the bench. Come over during the summer when he'll actually get to play with the guys in summer leagues.

djb
03-04-2001, 01:38 PM
Well if he comes to Dallas, he'll at least have the benefit of working with the coaching staff and participating in team practices. That should be enough to prepare him for summer league play.

LonestarROB
03-04-2001, 01:41 PM
That's true. We definetly have enough coaches to go around i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif .

MavsFanFinley
03-04-2001, 10:27 PM
The deadline for adding a player to the playoff roster (free agents or unsigned draftees) is the day following the end of the season. He can be signed anytime before then and play in the playoffs.

The deadline that just passed (March 1) was for waiving a player to be eligible for the playoffs.

This comes from the LMF. I thought it interesting that Wang will be able to play in the playoffs. I just emailed Mark to see if he could clear up things about Wang that no one seems to agree on. Age? Weight? Height? Position? I always thought he was a center and would be so for us, but there are a lot of reports flying around that Nelson is saying he is more of a small forward. If this is true. And Nelsons latest comments about Dirk (that he could be one of the best centers in the west) he could be our starting center with Booth as the backup. Could this be a sign that we might trade Bradley in the off season? I also asked Mark about Wang's stay, is he going to have to keep going back to China for his duties or what? I know Im jumping ahead about some of this. Wang might not even be any good and we cut him, who knows? I just don't like Dirk as our center. Oh well, maybe Cuban will clear up a thing or two.

giostar
03-05-2001, 09:15 AM
Hey MavsFanFinley... where did you find that out. I always assumed that the deadline for adding spots was the same for both. If thats true it would make alot of sense why there is all this hype about him playing for the Mavs, and why he wont come here unless the Mavs make the playoffs.

FineCubanCigar
03-05-2001, 09:36 AM
NO, NO .... IF Wang even comes over before the playoffs he will never see the floor or even be part of the roster, they want to get him acclimated BEFORE he has to start working out for next season. Wnag is so far away from being a good NBA player it is not even funny, and he probobly will not even contribute significantly to this team until 2003. This fact to scares the Mavs because the Chinese government is only releasing him on a temp. basis. He was only a second round pick, besides his teammate in the olympics is the real deal, not Wang. Great raw talent, just developing it will take a long while. You people actually believe Don I don't play or trust rookies Nelson would consider giving this guy a playoff roster spot? HAHAHAHAHAHa

FineCubanCigar
03-05-2001, 09:37 AM
Wang won't be able to play a 5 spot at the NBA level anyway.

Murphy3
12-27-2006, 06:30 PM
Anyone have any Zhi Zhi updates?

FINtastic
12-27-2006, 07:03 PM
He's still pretty tall.

shaw-xx
12-27-2006, 07:05 PM
He's playing for his old team Bayi Shuanglu Rockets in the CBA (Chinese Basketball Association). He played for China in the WC in Japan this summer.

snoop
12-27-2006, 07:18 PM
Anyway, down to the game. To my complete un-surprise, Wang ZhiZhi and Yi Jianlian battled it out with each filling the stats sheet (if there were fantasy leagues for the CBA, their owners would be celebrating). Yi had 26 points and 15 rebounds, and Wang had 20 points, 11 rebounds, and 5 assists. From the stats and from the final score, you can see that Yi had the better of Wang. This confirmed by almost-sure conviction that Yi was better than Wang. Why is this important? Well, it's not really, but it proves that Yi is better than an NBA scrub, which is what Wang is. Minimum, Yi be playing on the active roster during his NBA career, unlike Wang who was on the injured reserve the majority of his playing days.

chinahoops.com 10-10-06

MavsX
12-27-2006, 08:57 PM
hmmm

birdsanctuary
12-27-2006, 09:39 PM
The worst decision ever, Wang Zhi Zhi going to the Clippers in free agency... Absolutely stupid, but wasn't he on Miami's roster last year? Guess he's got more rings than we...

DubOverdose
12-27-2006, 09:57 PM
The worst decision ever, Wang Zhi Zhi going to the Clippers in free agency... Absolutely stupid, but wasn't he on Miami's roster last year? Guess he's got more rings than we...
Two years back, then they got Alonzo.

MeganLuvsMavs
12-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Dag, I almost forgot about this dude!

Evilmav2
12-27-2006, 11:03 PM
Did any of y'all read the ESPN the Magazine article about Wang about two issues back? Evidently, when Wang finally returned to China he was forced to undergo 'reeducation' as part of the cost of coming home, and the Chinese government may never again allow Wang to leave the country unless he's supervised and traveling with the national team (although I would have to imagine that those said terms will probably lighten if he behaves)...

dude1394
12-27-2006, 11:05 PM
Did any of y'all read the ESPN the Magazine article about Wang about two issues back? Evidently, when Wang finally returned to China he was forced to undergo 'reeducation' as part of the cost of coming home, and the Chinese government may never again allow Wang to leave the country unless he's supervised and traveling with the national team (although I would have to imagine that those said terms will probably lighten if he behaves)...

Ah wonderful communism.

fluid.forty.one
12-27-2006, 11:09 PM
Ah wonderful communism.

It kind of feels like David Stern's NBA.

shaw-xx
12-27-2006, 11:16 PM
.................................................. .............

bernardos70
12-27-2006, 11:21 PM
Exactly how much in percentage of his salary would he have to give up to the Chinese Government?

Drbio
12-28-2006, 11:28 AM
It was some crazy high number shaw....like 70% or something.

Flacolaco
12-28-2006, 11:36 AM
He's still pretty tall.

I saw on sportscenter, that he's also still chinese