PDA

View Full Version : Warriors

MavsFanFinley
10-31-2002, 12:12 AM
I like this team. No, they won't make the playoffs this year. They do have some young talent though and it'll be nice to see how it comes along.

I'm watching them beat the San Antonio Spurs right now. They have an 11 point lead with about 8 minutes to go. They just look sharp.

DTL
10-31-2002, 01:39 AM
And what's with the Spurs? But I guess they always start the season a little slow? Or are they just always a little slow?

Anyways, looks like Robinson wants to go out with a big bang. Hope his back holds up through the season.

MavsFanFinley
10-31-2002, 10:16 PM
The Spurs just looked beatable to me last night. I still have to hold back until I see the Mavs play them better and not allow Duncan to destroy us left and right though.

I don't know how many games Adonal Foyle can have like he did against Duncan. Played some nice 'D' and had this one handed break away dunk that I was like where the hell did that come from?

I just like the young talent in Gilbert Arenas (pg), Jason Richardson (sg), Mike Dunleavy (sf, behind Jamison) and Troy Murphy (pf).

I'll be interested in seeing how Jiri Welsch comes along behind Richardson at sg. The also had a nice pickup in Oscar Torres off of waivers from Houston.

If they could get a legit center, I think this team can make a nice turnaround.

I can't wait to go see them in Oakland against the Mavs on December 7th.

veruca salt
10-31-2002, 11:55 PM
I'm with you MFF.
I'm really hoping we get some GS games here on TV (which is unlikely, as we've
had 1 in the last 4 years)
They're an exciting young team.

MavsRich
11-01-2002, 12:44 AM
I think Dunleavy played 19 seconds last night, I dont remember him playing much.

MavsFanFinley
11-01-2002, 10:44 AM
I think the Warriors have a couple games on ESPN and/or TNT this season. Starting tonight, in fact, they're on ESPN (maybe it's ESPN2) when they play against the Sonics.

madape
11-01-2002, 11:02 AM
Golden state has the priveledge of having some of my favorite non-mav players on their roster.

Adonal Foyle - This dude is a shot-blcoking MONSTER. At one time, he owned the NCAA record for career blocked shots, and he could very well still own it. Every time he gets off the bench , he punishes his opponents with vicious swats. Why the stupid Warriors continue to play crap-ass Erik Dampier is beyond me. Foyle could be the only guy in the NBA that can challenge Bradley for the blocked shot title if both are given their proper allottment of court time. Of course, Foyle doesn't have the offensive game, or frightening defensive presense that Bradley has.

Mike Dunleavy - The prototype for the next generation of NBA player. He's tall. He's athletic. He's smart. He can drain threes on you like you were a little girl. For any other team, Dunleavy would be a favorite for the rookie of the year. But the Warriors are so loaded with frontcourt talent that it will be hard for him to get on the floor. Mark my word, in a couple of years this guy will be one of the best in the game.

Blonde Bomber
11-01-2002, 01:54 PM
They still won't make the playoffs. I'm more impressed with Memphis.

FINtastic
11-03-2002, 09:44 PM
I like the fact that Antawn has been tearing it up the past 3 games. He had a breakout season two years ago, and I started thinking he was about to become a star. But then he took a step backward last year. Hopefully, he can reach his form of two years ago. But besides Antawn, they have some good talent like Arenas (who looks like he might have been one of the biggest steals of the draft) and Richardson (who went on a tear after the all-star break last year).

madape
11-05-2002, 01:38 PM
I have now seen the Warriors twice. They look very impressive to me and have quickly become my second favorite team to watch. In contrast to the Clippers, the Warrors seem to be building a team the way it should be built. Not only do their young players have size and athleticism, they can actually shoot the ball. Richardson and Jamison are threats to score from anywhere on the court, inside or out. With Dunleavy they have a nearly seven foot tall shooting guard that can drain threes and drive to the hole. The talent is scary. They can stretch you out by dropping bombs from the outside, then punish you on the inside with slashing drives and ferocious dunks.

Defensively they should be pretty good, too. They've got developing role players all over the place. Foyle is one of the best shotblockers in the NBA. You saw what he did to the Mavericks last night. Fortson is one of the league's best rebounders. Dampier can do both pretty well. Troy Murphy is just another guy they could bring off the bench who can potentially put up 20/10 type numbers.

I'm not sure Arenas is the answer at point guard, but the Warriors are probably going to get to take their pick of point guards in the draft this year. Think about a guy like Kirk Heinrich running the show who defenses have to guard on the perimeter, but who can also distribute the ball to all these scorers. And unlike the Clippers, the Warriors will probably keep all their young talent and let them grow together. Yikes!

Anyway, as you can tell I'm pretty high on the Warriors.