PDA

View Full Version : Wang got the big DNP-Coach's decision

Dooby
10-31-2002, 08:33 AM
Just mentioning it, considering the potential all-star didn't play in his debut game.

Dooby
10-31-2002, 08:59 AM
Apparently, the Mods believe this belongs in the NBA forum. I disagree, because it reflects upon the Maverick's front office decisions.

MFFL
10-31-2002, 09:12 AM
<< Just mentioning it, considering the potential all-star didn't play in his debut game. >>

I noticied that too. Pretty funny actually. But it doesn't affect his points per game, etc average so his stats won't be affected. The Wang lovers will be pleased.

aexchange
10-31-2002, 09:25 AM
wang is a clipper. your post had nothing to do with the mavs.

Dooby
10-31-2002, 10:02 AM
The mavs made an affirmative decision not to match an offer sheet of a restricted free-agent on their roster. The fact that said player did not play in his regular season debut reflects upon the wisdom of that decision. Therefore, I consider such discussion relavent to the Mavs.

Chiwas
10-31-2002, 10:07 AM
LOL aexchange, yeah!

Good point....

(we forget Wang now has to be in &quot;Around the NBA&quot; Category)

i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Doobie: I think aexchange posted it in a funny way....but he is right anyway, though you're right too because many times we have talked about former Mavs here.

i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Dooby
10-31-2002, 10:24 AM
Well,we can't both be right. Therefore, given my track record, we can assume that aexchange is wrong.

Chiwas
10-31-2002, 10:37 AM
Something in the middle is better than thinking that someone is right and the other is wrong.

This way both are right.

i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Blonde Bomber
10-31-2002, 11:21 AM
How is discussions about Wang not Mav related. We have been discussing Wang's delima in here all summer, so why stop just because he wears a different uniform?

Anyway, I was a little suprised he didn't see any action. Kinda of funny when I've been reading from Clipper posters that he will make a big difference to there team this year. He looks to be nothing more than a bench warmer for those players who actually PLAY...

Epitome22
10-31-2002, 11:45 AM
2 bucks says he averages less minutes per game this season for the Clips than he did for The Mavs last season.

Dooby
10-31-2002, 11:47 AM
<< 2 bucks says he averages less minutes per game this season for the Clips than he did for The Mavs last season. >>

While the bet means nothing to me, that really is an interesting question.

Usually Lurkin
10-31-2002, 12:15 PM
right. we should post all clippers talk here, because a former mav is on their team, and if he helps them, then mavs made a bad decision. We should post all wizards talk here, because if they do bad, it's because popeye's not on their team, and the mavs management made a good decision. We should post all juwan howard talk, all kiki vandeweigh talk here. We should post all western conference talk here because that affects the mavs. We should post the color of my underwear here when that's blue and green, too. We should post talk of all the draft picks the mavs didn't take here in this section, too. Because of course, how well they do goes directly to mavs decision making ability.

i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

dude1394
10-31-2002, 12:26 PM
<< Apparently, the Mods believe this belongs in the NBA forum. I disagree, because it reflects upon the Maverick's front office decisions. >>

I agree, it's mavs related. I don't even wander over to the generic nba spare room.

Blonde Bomber
10-31-2002, 12:47 PM
<< right. we should post all clippers talk here, because a former mav is on their team, and if he helps them, then mavs made a bad decision. We should post all wizards talk here, because if they do bad, it's because popeye's not on their team, and the mavs management made a good decision. We should post all juwan howard talk, all kiki vandeweigh talk here. We should post all western conference talk here because that affects the mavs. We should post the color of my underwear here when that's blue and green, too. We should post talk of all the draft picks the mavs didn't take here in this section, too. Because of course, how well they do goes directly to mavs decision making ability.

i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif >>

someone has too much time on there handsi/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

kg_veteran
10-31-2002, 01:06 PM
I love it. All the Wang lovers can re-attach themselves to reality a bit.

aexchange
10-31-2002, 01:58 PM
<< The mavs made an affirmative decision not to match an offer sheet of a restricted free-agent on their roster. The fact that said player did not play in his regular season debut reflects upon the wisdom of that decision. Therefore, I consider such discussion relavent to the Mavs. >>

well then you should have said that initially. considering this...

<< Just mentioning it, considering the potential all-star didn't play in his debut game. >>

had absolutely positively nothing to do with anything mavs related.

if you consider wang news mavs related, we might as well talk about jim jackson, jason kidd, mashburn, greg dreilling, or darren morningstarr in this section.

but its not. for the last time i am moving this BACK to the around the nba.

kg_veteran
10-31-2002, 04:08 PM
I guess I haven't been around often enough lately. What's the big deal?

Dooby
10-31-2002, 04:20 PM
<< I guess I haven't been around often enough lately. What's the big deal? >>

AE's drunk with power. He's pissed I put this in the Gen. Mavs discussion.

I honestly thought it belonged in the Gen. Mavs Discussion because Wang is a newly departed Mav. I think discussing Booth, Wang and Buck's performance this year is relavent to the Mavs today. I am not saying that discussing Mashburn is, I am only saying that it makes sense to discuss these players as they relate to the current Mav Brain Trust.

AE thinks I did it to rip Wang and his fanbase. Which, of course, is the real reason, but that is beside the point.

aexchange
10-31-2002, 04:33 PM
<<

<< I guess I haven't been around often enough lately. What's the big deal? >>

AE's drunk with power. He's pissed I put this in the Gen. Mavs discussion.

I honestly thought it belonged in the Gen. Mavs Discussion because Wang is a newly departed Mav. I think discussing Booth, Wang and Buck's performance this year is relavent to the Mavs today. I am not saying that discussing Mashburn is, I am only saying that it makes sense to discuss these players as they relate to the current Mav Brain Trust.

AE thinks I did it to rip Wang and his fanbase. Which, of course, is the real reason, but that is beside the point. >>

i am not drunk with power. i am just trying to be a decent mod.

look, i dont care if you rip wang. i dont care if you think he's going to be the biggest bust of the year. but the fact of the matter is, that wang is a LA Clipper. not a mav. your original post had nothing to do with how it affected the mavs. even if you had said, we made the right decision not to resign him, i would have left it in the mavs section. but you didn't.

as a friendly mod reminder...

General Mavs Discussion
This is the place to discuss anything and everything about the Dallas Mavericks. From game recaps to trade rumors to the latest on why Peter Vecsey's an ass, this is the place to talk Mavs! Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC, and post only Mavs-related questions and comments here.

Around the NBA
Here you can discuss what's going on elsewhere in the NBA. Who's going to the Finals next year? Will the Clippers ever get a new logo? Why does Shaq always have that blank look on his face? Uhm you get the idea..

Dooby
10-31-2002, 04:43 PM
<< i am not drunk with power. i am just trying to be a decent mod. >>

Perhaps if you drank more, you'd be a better mod.i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

I'm sure Doc would agree.

David
10-31-2002, 05:46 PM
Wang's new team played ONE game and Wang didn't play. Wow, that't terrible. I guess that means Wang is no good. Of course, as usual, Wang didn't get to training camp. Something about not having a contract or a team to play for or somesuch. Maybe the Clippers want Wang to learn the team plays and defenses before they trust him out on the floor during a regular season game. Nah, it's just that he can't play. That MUST be it.

Dooby
10-31-2002, 05:57 PM
Walt Williams played 17 minutes and shot 50% from the floor. He was in camp just as much as Wang.

Drbio
10-31-2002, 07:49 PM
<<

<< i am not drunk with power. i am just trying to be a decent mod. >>

Perhaps if you drank more, you'd be a better mod.i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

I'm sure Doc would agree. >>

Or maybe if he smoked some Doobies.....i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

MavsRich
10-31-2002, 09:11 PM
Walt Williams understands english and has been in the league for umpteen years too Dooby, you cannot begin to compare the 2.

Drbio
10-31-2002, 09:43 PM
<< you cannot begin to compare the 2. >>

I think he just did.

Chiwas
11-01-2002, 04:06 AM
<< Nah, it's just that he can't play. That MUST be it. >>

I always have thought that Wang is immature (don't know if it's the word, I want to mean he hasn't developed or matured, to grow up); and hasn't demostrated vocation.

Some disorder originated from his government system in his country, I suppose. Remember how former URSS and Democratic(?) Germany, recruited their athletes?

Wang is a good player and tall enough to be in the NBA, but I think he isn't motivated.

David
11-01-2002, 05:31 AM
<< Walt Williams understands english and has been in the league for umpteen years too Dooby, you cannot begin to compare the 2. >>

If I remember correctly, Walt Williams went to high school in the US and to 4 years of college at Maryland in addition to about 10 years in the NBA. He could have gotten off the bus and been put into the starting lineup. He understands the game.

Wang has generic basketball fundamentals. That is why I see upside to Wang, if he learns the game and gets experience. Wang has the unteachable 7'1&quot; size and a natural shooting stroke all the way out to the 3 point line. He is raw material.

MavsRich
11-01-2002, 05:40 AM
Completely agree with you there David.

Drbio, how about cooling it with the smart a$$ comments?

Dooby
11-01-2002, 07:49 AM
<< Wang has generic basketball fundamentals. That is why I see upside to Wang, if he learns the game and gets experience. Wang has the unteachable 7'1&quot; size and a natural shooting stroke all the way out to the 3 point line. He is raw material. >>

Yup. And the Cowboys will be able to teach Quincy Carter to throw a spiral. It could happen. Personally, I don't think a 20+ year old player is able to learn new fundamentals. Improving as a pro is about refining the skills you already have; not acquiring new ones.

MavKikiNYC
11-01-2002, 08:10 AM
Dooby,

Best analogy that can be made to a QB's spiral is a shooter's natural stroke--and Wang has that.
Wang lacked NBA-level training and NBA-level experience, i.e. refining his skills. He's in a better position to do that now.

Give him a few weeks.

DTL
11-01-2002, 08:55 AM
<< Improving as a pro is about refining the skills you already have; not acquiring new ones. >>

Off-topic, but see &quot;Nowitzki, Dirk&quot;

not that I believe for an instant Wang has the same upside as Dirk.

Dooby
11-01-2002, 08:57 AM
I've already said I will give him the season to prove me wrong. But in order for Wang to do it, he has to get off the bench. Otherwise, he proves me right.

Dooby
11-01-2002, 09:00 AM
<<

<< Improving as a pro is about refining the skills you already have; not acquiring new ones. >>

Off-topic, but see &quot;Nowitzki, Dirk&quot;

not that I believe for an instant Wang has the same upside as Dirk. >>

I knew this was coming. The obvious response is Wang is no Dirk. Also, Dirk was both farther ahead than Wang when he got here and Dirk was younger when he got here.

Usually Lurkin
11-01-2002, 09:29 AM
<< I knew this was coming. The obvious response is Wang is no Dirk. Also, Dirk was both farther ahead than Wang when he got here and Dirk was younger when he got here. >>

sounds like you already had this response planned, dooby. If so, why did you say no 20+ guy can add new fundamentals? It seems a stronger claim that you wanted to make.

Haven't there been a few 7 footers who've added some range to there shot once their knees gave out?

I appreciate your Wang updates.

Drbio
11-01-2002, 10:34 AM
MavsRich- get over yourself...lighten up....smell the roses...grow up....

Wang is a good player and tall enough to be in the NBA, but I think he isn't motivated.
I disagree. Wang showed everyone that he is motivated by working his ass off in the offseason. He has put on muscle mass, tried to work hard on his game and played in the summer league. that doesn't translate to a lack of motivation IMO. remember, he did all this with the pressure of his country and fear for his family on his mind. I'd say he was highly motivated. The results should come...slowly maybe, but they will come.

Chiwas
11-01-2002, 12:17 PM
I don't really know how much he worked in summer, I can´t. I didn't see him.

I meant that since he has a great opportunity to go overseas and win too much money (400 thousand bucks in his first year, though chinese authorities take the half) in one of the best countries in the world, is an exceptional privilege; more than 1 billion chinese dont' have and won't have this opportunity; Wang has a freedom life which isn't allowed to the chinese people. I hope Ming demostrates and appreciates this fact playing pretty well since the first season.

But coming back to basketball, I always have thought that Wang has a big potential to play in the NBA. However, I haven´t see any development. And as long as he is hired with a NBA team we (I) should have patience. I know that the owners patience is lower than ours; if he works fine in time, we´ll see Wang for many years; if he doesn't, he will be warming the bench or being fired.

Blonde Bomber
11-01-2002, 12:49 PM
WOW, so much debate and discussion over a scrub basketball player.

When do we get to start talking about Eschmeyer finally getting some playing time around here?

MavKikiNYC
11-01-2002, 05:11 PM
Perhaps you're right---Esch is a scrub worthy of debate.

Chiwas
11-01-2002, 05:38 PM
Becareful, Blonde, if you want to talk about Eschmeyer you have to open a Thread in &quot;General Mavs Discussion&quot; category.

You have been warned on time.

Besides, you both have posted two prohibited messages already.

i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif

(I think me too, with this one) i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif

ÜberDirk
11-01-2002, 06:37 PM
Dooby, be careful, I don't want you to get banned. It seems (no offense) like aexchange is just &quot;chomping at the bit&quot; to ban someone. And aexcahnge, you were being a wee bit power drunk in our debate about Scott in the &quot;best pure shooters thread&quot;.