PDA

View Full Version : Wang the trillion dollar player

Pages : [1] 2

Usually Lurkin
11-02-2002, 09:16 AM
against the lakers:

1 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Wang gets just one minute of pt. Is anyone shocked that the clips lose i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

madape
11-02-2002, 09:31 AM
The Clips are the most overated bunch of scrubs in history. They will SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK all year long. Wang is SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSPARE!

Evilmav2
11-02-2002, 03:39 PM
http://aol.nba.com/media/act_zhizhi_wang.jpg

Wang 2002 stats: 1.0 MPG, 0.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg, 0.0 apg, 0.0 BPG, 0.0 spg...

David
11-02-2002, 04:51 PM
I'm glad the Clippers finally gave him a good, long look so he could demonstrate his wares. He just needed to accumulate "minute", to strut his stuff.

Dooby
11-04-2002, 08:48 AM
Wang gets 10 minutes and the Clips win. Strangely, his line is not unlike his typical line with the Mavs: 10 minutes; 5 points; 2 rebounds.

MavsRich
11-04-2002, 08:51 AM
You had to watch the game to see the impact he had on it. His presence in the lineup gave the Clippers a huge lift, and they was able to come back and win(with Wang on the court when they took the lead after being down by double digits).

Usually Lurkin
11-04-2002, 08:58 AM
The clips coach did have a nice quote that should be encouraging for Wang fans.

Personally, I'm just a little bit deflated because Wangs stats for the year don't look as cool anymore.

We'll see how he does with a little more time in their system.

Dooby
11-04-2002, 11:33 AM
<< You had to watch the game to see the impact he had on it. His presence in the lineup gave the Clippers a huge lift, and they was able to come back and win(with Wang on the court when they took the lead after being down by double digits). >>

I checked the game log for the hell of it. Down 10 when Wang enters; go up 2; and are down 4 when Wang leaves. If Wang was playing so well, why didn't he play at the end of the game?

MavsRich
11-04-2002, 11:36 AM
I think you have to ask Alvin Gentry that, his rotations have been questioned all season by the LA fans.

MavKikiNYC
11-04-2002, 12:08 PM
<< If Wang was playing so well, why didn't he play at the end of the game? >>

Could be the same way N&aacute;jera gives the team a lift or helps change the flow of the game, but isn't really a closer.

I've seen a lot of players take time in learning to perform at crunch time--even Dirk, for example (and no, I'm not comparing Wang to Dirk).

Wang made a nice contribution to the Clips' win the other night, nothing more, nothing less.

Give credit for what he did and sit back to wait for more.

Evilmav2
11-04-2002, 08:22 PM
LOL... Wang scores 5 points and the Wang-Lovers-Leaguers come bleating out of their hidey holes...

David
11-05-2002, 06:35 AM
I wonder how much of the anti-Wang sentiment goes something like this; &quot;If Wang was any good, the Nellies would have re-signed him.&quot;

Personally, I think with Raef out, I think the Mavs can use all the help they can get, outside shooting-wise and seven footer-wise. The Mavs are, right now, having to count on Shawn Bradley and Evan Eschmeyer. How scary is that? &quot;lol&quot;

madape
11-05-2002, 08:15 AM
<< The Mavs are, right now, having to count on Shawn Bradley and Evan Eschmeyer. How scary is that? &quot;lol&quot; >>

Not nearly as scary as having to count on Wang. LOL!! LOL!! LOL!!

Evilmav2
11-05-2002, 05:31 PM
I wonder how much of the anti-Wang sentiment goes something like this; &quot;If Wang was any good, the Nellies would have re-signed him.&quot;

How about, &quot;If Wang wasn't a despicable and ungrateful liar, the Nellies might have resigned him...&quot;

David
11-05-2002, 06:15 PM
Shawn Bradley, &quot;lol&quot;.

madape
11-05-2002, 06:38 PM
I love how Wang's fans are turning this into Wang vs. Bradley. If that's the case, we are going to be in for a VERY humorous season.

A preview of the 2002/2003 &quot;lopsided debate of the year&quot;:

per 48 minute stats

Bradley
Rebounds: 16
Blocks: 3.3
Steals: 4.3
Assists: 0.8

Wang
Rebounds: 8.7
Blocks: 0
Steals: 0
Assists: 0

hmmm... looks like Wang beats out Bradley in points. Too bad he's shooting 20% compared to Bradley's 46%. Those zero assists don't exactly translate into offensive production either. I guess Wang still hasn't figured out that there are other people on the team too.

David
11-05-2002, 10:04 PM
&quot;Per 48 minute stats&quot;. &quot;lol&quot; Few players play 48 minutes. Those stats are absolutely meaningless. Bradley fouls out WAAAY before that and Wang has played 10 MINUTES once this year.

madape
11-05-2002, 11:16 PM
Oh... OK. I extrapolated out to 48 minutes because Wang and Bradley's minutes aren't really comparable. But if you're serious, here is a comparison of per game averages.

BRADLEY
PPG 7.0
RPG 6.3
APG .3
SPG 1.67
BPG 1.33
FG% .462
FT% .750
3P% .000
MPG 19.0

WANG
PPG 2.5
RPG 1.0
APG .0
SPG .00
BPG .00
FG% .200
FT% .750
3P% .000
MPG 5.5

What was your point again?

Evilmav2
11-06-2002, 12:40 AM
Fallaciously strange arguments of &quot;David&quot; (what the heck does Wang have to do with Bradley?)... &quot;LOL&quot;

Strange Arguments of dumb Wang lovers/Bradley critics? Evil Skull agrees: LOL LOL LOL...http://skullspace.com/skullani1.gif

David
11-06-2002, 06:40 AM
No Raef. The centers left on the roster are, Bradley and Eschmeyer. The Mavs are therefore counting on (lol) Bradley and Eschmeyer. Bradley gives the Mavs blocked shots like Raef. Wang WOULD HAVE given the Mavs 3 point shooting at a BETTER percentage than Raef. Without Raef AND Wang, there is NO 3 point shooting from the center position.

Big Boy Laroux
11-06-2002, 08:40 AM
<< Without Raef AND Wang, there is NO 3 point shooting from the center position. >>

oh no! what do we do? maybe we should seek advice from the other teams in the NBA! their centers don't shoot threes! (oh, except maybe sabonis... and when wang is in the game for the clips... i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif )

David
11-06-2002, 06:34 PM
<<

<< Without Raef AND Wang, there is NO 3 point shooting from the center position. >>

oh no! what do we do? maybe we should seek advice from the other teams in the NBA! their centers don't shoot threes! (oh, except maybe sabonis... and when wang is in the game for the clips... i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif ) >>

And isn't that what makes the Mavs unique? Anyone on the floor can shoot the three. You can't leave anybody open from outside, which opens up the inside against all those other team's centers. The Mavs can't go head to head against Shaq but they CAN force him to cover, or not cover, an open 3 point shooting center, but, unfortunately, Bradley(lol) and Eschmeyer don't shoot the 3. Raef does but he's out. Wang does(2nd best % on the team last year) but he works out of LA now.

Big Boy Laroux
11-07-2002, 10:20 AM
guess what, david, the mavs can play without a 3-point shooting center. everyone else in the league does. the need for a 3-point shooting center only raises its head when we play the lakers. the only real asset to raef being able to shoot threes is to pull shaq (and shaq only) away from the lane. i don't think there's another center in the league that wouyld give us problems. and even if we lose all four times to the lakers this year, raef is still going to be back in PLENTY of time for the playoffs, so he can be shooting his threes then.

David
11-07-2002, 06:14 PM
Personally, and it's probably just me, but I say take advantage of EVERY weapon you can get. Wang was the 2nd best 3 point shooter on the team last year. Tall guys, small guys, the 2nd best shooter of threes. He's gone and nothing was acquired in return. A lost asset. Like I said before, every player on the team can shoot threes with Raef or Wang in the game. Dirk, Fin, Nash, Raef and Wang or NVE, any of those 5. Who does the other team cover? It doesn't matter, someone will be open. That's gone. Now the Mavs are JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE NBA. If that's what you like in a team, you're rooting for one just like the rest. Why did you pick the Mavs out of the herd, they are all the same.

Evilmav2
11-07-2002, 09:02 PM
Now the Mavs are JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE NBA. If that's what you like in a team, you're rooting for one just like the rest. Why did you pick the Mavs out of the herd, they are all the same.

Is every other team in the league capable of winning 60 games this season? Is every other team in the league able to seriously contend for a championship? Losing Wang does nothing but open up a few minutes for Walt Williams, Najera, and Griffin. Your bitter glorification of the developing but flawed second stringer Wang makes about as much sense as your equating the Mavs with a &quot;herd&quot; of other teams. Why don't you stick to watching your newly beloved clippers if you are so disapointed in a Wang-less Mavs club?

Also, if you want to know why we don't have Wang anymore, it's because he lied to the Mavericks management, he lied to the Chinese Basketball Association, and he lied to his country about his intentions. We would have never given him up for nothing this Summer, without his dishonorable conduct forcing us to do so...

David
11-08-2002, 06:40 AM
One of my favorite memories from the playoffs last season was Wang shooting a 3 by the sidelines and Garnett jumping and trying to block his shots. Oops, Wang made a ball fake, and Garnett almost broke his neck coming down. I don't think the TWolves wanted their 7 footer that far from the basket, but he was. That helped weaken the Minnesota defense. That won't happen this year. It's a long season. Time will tell about the Mav's record. The Mavs are already down to ONE center.

madape
11-08-2002, 07:52 AM
My favorite memory was Wang getting abused by Divac for six straight layups before getting benched.

Big Boy Laroux
11-08-2002, 09:41 AM
i don't think the wolves care where the hell garnett is. he can be anywhere on the court. he guarded mcgrady a couple games ago, all over the floor.

and i remember that play, david. everyone was surprised wang didn't shoot. even wang.

and david, i don't know about you, but i didn't &quot;pick the mavs&quot; this season. i've followed them when they weren't &quot;like the rest,&quot; they were WORSE than the rest.

who was it that said at the beginning of the season, after wang left, &quot;we'll just get those 2 minutes from someone else.&quot; i think it was fin. wang was not worth the time (after violating his agreement) or money. and the way he's looked with the clips so far, looks like the mavs were right. now, if he starts tearing it up, more power to him, but we don't need him like you desparately claim. he's no big loss. go join your boy RCF wherever he is, david. i guarantee you, that would also be no big loss.

madape
11-08-2002, 12:16 PM
Wang's got two rebounds so far with about 5% of the season already gone. Assuming he won't get a DNP-CD EVERY night, that puts him on a pace to get about forty total this year. Which leaves us with about one hundred thousand pounds of bullshit for each rebound.

Evilmav2
11-08-2002, 04:21 PM
&quot;Wang would have been our third center. That's a part of it. But it's quite clear he broke his word to us, and that really meant a lot to us.&quot;
Don Nelson

&quot;It would be good to have him, but we're not going to miss him. We'll find the two or three points from somewhere else.&quot;
Mark Cuban

David
11-08-2002, 05:40 PM
Right now, the Mavs are ONE Bradley injury away from Dirk being the full time, 48 minute center. Backing Dirk up will be who(?), Walt Williams? The Mavs are short of big guys, in case no one noticed, but I do give Don, Donnie and Mark credit for doing the politically correct thing to do. Political correctness should serve Mark's business interests in China nicely in the future. I hope Mark makes lots of nice money from the Commies.

David
11-08-2002, 05:57 PM
<< i don't think the wolves care where the hell garnett is. he can be anywhere on the court. he guarded mcgrady a couple games ago, all over the floor. >>

If Garnett was on the Mavs, would you want him in rebounding position or out guarding people at the 3 point line?

<< and i remember that play, david. everyone was surprised wang didn't shoot. even wang. >>

Wang wasn't surprised. He did the smart thing, he ball faked.

<< and david, i don't know about you, but i didn't &quot;pick the mavs&quot; this season. i've followed them when they weren't &quot;like the rest,&quot; they were WORSE than the rest. >>

I've followed them since the first year. I remember when the Mavs couldn't run their offense because the other teams pressed the PGs so much that they didn't have time to get a good shot off. They found Brad Davis playing in Alaska and suddenly they had a good enough ballhandler that the pressure on the ball didn't affect the offense.

<< who was it that said at the beginning of the season, after wang left, &quot;we'll just get those 2 minutes from someone else.&quot; i think it was fin. wang was not worth the time (after violating his agreement) or money. and the way he's looked with the clips so far, looks like the mavs were right. now, if he starts tearing it up, more power to him, but we don't need him like you desparately claim. >>

For $2M per year the Mavs could have signed a better player than Eschmeyer that was ALREADY THEIR PROPERTY. Wang is not playing with the Clippers right now and the Clippers aren't winning either. I don't know exactly what the deal it in LA.

<< he's no big loss. >>

Unless Bradley goes down and Dirk has to play center full time.

<< go join your boy RCF wherever he is, david. >>

What makes you think RCF is gone?

<< i guarantee you, that would also be no big loss. >>

Thank you for your kind remark. You don't like people that express opinions other than those agreeing with your own, do you?

Big Boy Laroux
11-08-2002, 06:09 PM
i have no problems with people disagreeing with me. it's just ridiculous statements like

&quot;Now the Mavs are JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE NBA. If that's what you like in a team, you're rooting for one just like the rest. Why did you pick the Mavs out of the herd, they are all the same?&quot;

that I have a problem with. why did you &quot;pick the mavs&quot; this season?

ok, so the garnett play. everyone knows wang shoots the three. that's all he did when he was here. so garnett thought he was going to shoot. if he were on the mavs, i would rather have garnett challenge the open shot than just camp out under the goal waiting for a rebound. and i was saying that even wang was surprised that he ball-faked, as it was probably the first time he had ever done so.

lots of &quot;ifs&quot; david. you act like losing Wang is the curse of the bambino... jeez. oh no, guys! the curse of wang will keep us from ever winning a title!

like someone (i think madape) has said before. china is an untapped resource of hoops. wang was certainly not worth screwing up the mavs' relationship with china, communist country or not. he's simply not that talented.

and you're welcome for the kind remark.

MavsManiac
11-08-2002, 11:49 PM
<< Right now, the Mavs are ONE Bradley injury away from Dirk being the full time, 48 minute center. Backing Dirk up will be who(?), Walt Williams? The Mavs are short of big guys, in case no one noticed, but I do give Don, Donnie and Mark credit for doing the politically correct thing to do. Political correctness should serve Mark's business interests in China nicely in the future. I hope Mark makes lots of nice money from the Commies. >>

I don't get this... Mavs should have kept Wang simply to back up the back up of the back up center this season? Mavs lose two centers to injury, and suddenly they look like buffoons for not keeping Wang? I don't agree at all with that...

They have Raef to start, Bradley to relieve, Esch to pick up fouls &amp; Dirk in emergencies... how many teams keep 5 centers?

MavKikiNYC
11-09-2002, 12:40 AM
As things stand now, Mavs would've been better off depth-wise if they'd held onto Wang and actually begun to reap some benefit on their 2-year investment.

How many teams keep 5 centers? Can't think of any right off, but I'd guess that about 29 teams would like to platoon 5 such players, 3 of whom can play multiple positions.

But 5 players to cover 4 positions--C, PF, backup C, backup PF--isn't nearly as absurd as keeping 5 centers, and certainly not as tenuous as the position they find themselves in now.

At least the schedule seems to be working in their favor.

madape
11-09-2002, 02:24 AM
A man in the late stages of syphylis can get a DNP-Coaches decison. Wang is about as worthless as a soiled diaper thown on the bottom of a truck stop gas station. The pathetic fool was funny while he lasted, but clown time is over. Put the traitor out of his misery. He's a riduculous joke. And no one is laughing.

Fidel
11-09-2002, 05:59 AM
All of those Wang supporters who say he canīt produce because he gets the DNP-CD, thatīs a bad argument. Itīs allways the other way around. He gets the DNP because he canīt produce.

Usually Lurkin
11-09-2002, 08:19 AM
<< All of those Wang supporters who say he canīt produce because he gets the DNP-CD, thatīs a bad argument. Itīs allways the other way around. He gets the DNP because he canīt produce. >>

yeah, and I walk backwards because the world spins in reverse.

MavKikiNYC
11-09-2002, 11:38 AM
<< All of those Wang supporters who say he canīt produce because he gets the DNP-CD, thatīs a bad argument. Itīs allways the other way around. He gets the DNP because he canīt produce. >>

Do you think Wang would've gotten any minutes in the 4th quarter last night when the Mavs had a 30-point lead, Bradley needed a breather, Esch and LaF were injured, and the team started looking ahead toward Detroit? Just sounded like an odd situation for them to be up 30 points and concerned about having enough bodies.

David
11-09-2002, 11:56 AM
<<

<< Right now, the Mavs are ONE Bradley injury away from Dirk being the full time, 48 minute center. Backing Dirk up will be who(?), Walt Williams? The Mavs are short of big guys, in case no one noticed, but I do give Don, Donnie and Mark credit for doing the politically correct thing to do. Political correctness should serve Mark's business interests in China nicely in the future. I hope Mark makes lots of nice money from the Commies. >>

I don't get this... Mavs should have kept Wang simply to back up the back up of the back up center this season? Mavs lose two centers to injury, and suddenly they look like buffoons for not keeping Wang? I don't agree at all with that...

They have Raef to start, Bradley to relieve, Esch to pick up fouls &amp; Dirk in emergencies... how many teams keep 5 centers? >>

Eschmeyer and Bradley are centers ONLY.
Raef is a PF/C.
Dirk is a PF/SF/C.
Wang is a PF/C/SF depending on the matchups.

RIGHT NOW, there is no Raef. Esch is out and seems to be one of those perenially injured types. The Mavs have ONE true center, (lol) Shawn Bradley and ONE backup who is a starter at PF. Anyone else on the current roster is 6'8&quot; and not named Wallace. The Mavs are SHORT at the center position. They could use another player who can play center, not a 6'8&quot; player who is too short to play PF, playing C.

Evilmav2
11-09-2002, 01:20 PM
*that wasn't necessary.*

Evilmav2
11-09-2002, 02:12 PM
That's $4.5 million of poop...

Fidel
11-09-2002, 11:56 PM
<< Do you think Wang would've gotten any minutes in the 4th quarter last night when the Mavs had a 30-point lead, >>

Probably so, thatīs the typical Wang situation, garbage time. Thatīs where he got his numbers with the Mavs and that will be his fate with the Clips too. Itīs not even that I donīt like him, itīs just that heīs a spare, whoīs totally overrated by some members of this board here. There is a reason why China did so bad at the worldchamps. They are a bunch of overhyped (especially Yao) scrubs who canīt play. If anything the Mavs could use Wang as a spare, but a spare simply isnīt worth the trouble it would have caused to keep him.

Fidel
11-10-2002, 12:04 AM
And the reason why these chinese guys are in the NBA right now is an economical one mostly. I have no doubt that china will produce some nice NBA players in the future, but this generation simply isnīt ready to play. They lack too many essentials (maybe Yao can be solid sometime, but it seems like itīs way too early for him too). If not for the $$$ they wouldnīt be around IMO.

madape
11-10-2002, 09:42 AM
Wang is in the league for the same reason that Randy Moss and Master P made NBA preseason rosters. People will pay money to watch freak shows. The funniest thing about this whole thing is that the NBA marketing machine has actually convinced some &quot;basketball fans&quot; that these chinese fools can actually play!

David
11-10-2002, 10:04 AM
I think that anyone that says Yao and Wang can't play at an NBA level is fooling themselves(Rudy T. knows talent). Yao is 7'5&quot;. NBA GMs will draft 7'5&quot; any day of the week, even if they are from Bumfuct, Egypt. Throw in the fact that Yao has coordination and the ability to learn and you WILL have a player. Yao is not ready to compete this year but next year he should be more prepared. Yao didn't grow up playing in the American or Euro systems and had no one to challenge and push him in China. Five years from now, Yao will be a top player in the NBA, depending on whether or not he gets to train in the US. Not being able to, may slow him down, as it has Wang.

aexchange
11-10-2002, 10:26 AM
<< And the reason why these chinese guys are in the NBA right now is an economical one mostly. I have no doubt that china will produce some nice NBA players in the future, but this generation simply isnīt ready to play. They lack too many essentials (maybe Yao can be solid sometime, but it seems like itīs way too early for him too). If not for the $$$ they wouldnīt be around IMO. >>

they've played 5 or 6 games.
let's give the guys some time, alright?

if we jumped on the bandwagon and judged dirk and detlef by their first seasons in the league, they wouldn't even be employed. its far too quick to make any kind of evaluation on yao and wang, especially yao because he hasnt even had much of a training camp.

Dooby
11-11-2002, 11:12 AM
Official stats for Wang through six games: 11 Minutes with 4 DNP-CDs.

Usually Lurkin
11-11-2002, 11:22 AM
Official stats for Wang through six games: 11 Minutes with 4 DNP-CDs.

It's a shame, isn't it, that after all he's been through to stay in America and play ball, he's still being oppressed for his political views.

Dooby
11-11-2002, 11:40 AM
<< It's a shame, isn't it, that after all he's been through to stay in America and play ball, he's still being oppressed for his political views. >>

WTF?

Usually Lurkin
11-11-2002, 01:32 PM
<< WTF? >>

heh, heh. gotcha.

Cipherous
11-11-2002, 08:21 PM
Wang will always be wang, Wang did nothing for the MAVs and probably never will. WE already have the scorers and need more boards and help on the defensive end. There's no doubt that Wang would've rode the bench again this season even with Lafrentz out, maybe more PT time but definitely not starting. As for Yao Ming, he's even worse than Wang, althought I want Ming to be good...I don't see that happening for a few or even several years from now. When you're 7'5&quot; and rather lay up then dunk, you're soft. When you get boxed out by a point guard, thats just weak. All in all, Ming has been very disappointing. I don't see the chinese producing &quot;good&quot; NBA players until the coaches over there realize that strength training and conditioning plays an integral part in success in basketball.

Dooby
11-13-2002, 09:01 AM
Once more, with feeling: DNP-CD.

Evilmav2
11-13-2002, 05:50 PM
Wang... $4.5 million of DNP-CD...

aexchange
11-13-2002, 06:03 PM
wang cost them $6M over 3 years. $2M a year isnt bad at all and i hardly see how that equates to $4.5M.

MavKikiNYC
11-15-2002, 12:22 AM
Wang Zhizhi 11 2-3 0-0 0-0 2 0 1 4

Alright. He got off the bench, didn't look completely lost on defense, and even hit a nice shot off the dribble.

Chris Wilcox 8 0-0 0-0 0-0 1 0 0 0

This highly-regarded lottery pick however was one-rebound away from being an $80 billion player.

Clips look way out of synch.

Evilmav2
11-15-2002, 12:35 AM
OK, I was wrong... Wang is $6 million worth of poop...

Seriously though, the Clips were probably keeping Wang out of the lineup because he didn't take part in their training camp. And it does make some sense for the Clips to bring him up to speed on their offensive system before throwing him to the Western conference wolves playing the 3 and 4 spots. That said, when he becomes a regular part of their rotation, I will be amazed if he plays any differently than he did in Dallas. He will shoot three pointers, occasionally make a surprisingly impressive steal or pass, and be an absolutely horrible defensive liability. I watched him play tonight and he looked exactly like the same old Wang we got to see in Dallas last year. And that Wang is never going to be anything but an offensively one-dimensional, molasses footed sideshow...

Also, if any of y'all think that I have an unreasonable dislike of Wang, it has more to do with the fact that he &quot;broke his word&quot; to the Mavericks' organization (Nelson's words) than with any great dislike of his sub-par basketball game. It was actually amusing last year, watching him slow-foot it up and down the court hitting the occasional three pointer. It is also amusing watching him amass one DNP-CD after another, after another, after another with the Clippers. I would have wished that same kind of misfortune on Kurt Thomas a few years back...

David
11-15-2002, 06:44 AM
I watched a little of the Clipper's/Magic game and got a chance to view Wang up close. Wang looks like he's on autopilot, like he's in low gear. If he had stayed a Mav, they needed to put him into that same workout program that Bradley was on, just to improve his stamina. I thought Wang did OK, it's just that if he is going to take his game to the next level, he needs to step it up and realize he &quot;ain't&quot; in China anymore and he needs to play with intensity.

11-15-2002, 10:31 AM
Wang's was not good at last game. He looked rusty, slow and uninterested. If he is playing like this, he should forget about not getting playtimes.

A wang's fan

Dooby
11-18-2002, 09:34 AM
Friday's results: 9 minutes; 8 points; 2 rebounds.

Sunday's results: DNP-CD.

Usually Lurkin
11-18-2002, 10:58 AM
<< Sunday's results: DNP-CD. >>

and again the clips lose

Dooby
11-18-2002, 11:36 AM
If you are implying that not playing Wang is the reason the Clippers lose, you are drunk.

Usually Lurkin
11-18-2002, 01:15 PM
All I'm implying is that Wang-DNPs and Clips losses are happening together a lot this year.

MavKikiNYC
11-18-2002, 01:50 PM
By extension, is the implication that Alvin Gentry has no more idea of how to develop Wang's talent than Don Nelson did? And vice versa?

OutletPass
11-18-2002, 03:01 PM
Wang's Talent

---Hmmmm. Still not exactly sure what we're talking about here. Kiki, I know that you felt that we should have kept him. I was definitely a Wang fan, if for no other reason than to see his weird smile after hitting a chalupa giving 3 pointer. But even now, I'm not sure of what he is and what he isn't. (Excepting his 3 point shooting, of course.

I had hoped that he would be given the development that he needed here, but it never worked out for various reasons. It's VERY early in the season and he's late in assimilating into the Clips, but what I've seen on season pass, isn't much different from what we saw here.

So I'm still left wondering what his real talent, or real potential is.
Very confusing...the answer still to come.

Yao is a bit of a different story. He's going to featured in terms of PT so we'll see what he is or isn't. I'm looking forward to seeing where he is next year or the year after. He could be a upside surprise to all who've judged him after a few games, as has been pointed out earlier in this thread. Dirk wasn't the Diggler his rookie year.

Just my take on it.

Lvubun1
11-19-2002, 02:59 AM
<< http://aol.nba.com/media/act_zhizhi_wang.jpg

Wang 2002 stats: 1.0 MPG, 0.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg, 0.0 apg, 0.0 BPG, 0.0 spg... >>

He seems to be in a slump......

Dooby
11-20-2002, 09:14 AM
Forgot to put up Monday's results.

D

N

P

-

C

D

Evilmav2
11-20-2002, 02:23 PM
Wang's Talent?

Wang has certainly shown a talent for sitting on the bench this year...

Evilmav2
11-21-2002, 01:06 AM
Speaking of Wangs' talent, it looks like it had a breakout night tonight in a losing effort against the Kings...

6 pts, on 2-6 shooting, 0 rebounds, 0 assists, 0 steals, 2 turnovers, and 1 PF

MavKikiNYC
11-22-2002, 07:48 PM
If only the Mavs had gotten that level of production out of their starting center last night.

Fidel
11-24-2002, 07:49 PM
Wangs line against the Rockets tonight:
11 mins, 0 pts, 0-3 fg, 0 rbs, 0 blk, 2 pf, 2 to, 1 ast, 1 stl.

MavKikiNYC
11-24-2002, 08:53 PM
Bradley--M: 12 FG: 1-5 3FG: 0-0 FT: 2-3 OR: 2 DR: 1 Tot.R: 3 A: 0 PF: 4 S: 0 TO: 2 BS: 3 Pts: 4

Wang--__M: 11 FG: 0-3 3FG: 0-1 FT: 0-0 OR: 0 DR: 0 Tot.R: 0 A: 1 PF: 2 S: 1 TO: 2 BS: 0 Pts: 0

Not that different.

MavKikiNYC
11-24-2002, 09:41 PM
Come to think of it, Kand's line was pretty mediocre too.

MICHAEL OLOWOKANDI C 29 3-6 0-0 4-6 1 3 4 2 4 0 2 0 10

And Ming came back to earth:

YAO MING C 28 1-4 0-0 2-3 0 7 7 0 4 0 3 2 4

Cipherous
11-24-2002, 10:06 PM
Kandi and Ming were guarding each other. Come on, Kandi is arguably the 2nd best center and Ming is no slouch either. Thats why the rest of their teams stepped up.

Fidel
11-24-2002, 11:22 PM
<< Bradley--M: 12 FG: 1-5 3FG: 0-0 FT: 2-3 OR: 2 DR: 1 Tot.R: 3 A: 0 PF: 4 S: 0 TO: 2 BS: 3 Pts: 4

Wang--__M: 11 FG: 0-3 3FG: 0-1 FT: 0-0 OR: 0 DR: 0 Tot.R: 0 A: 1 PF: 2 S: 1 TO: 2 BS: 0 Pts: 0 >>

Yeah not much of a difference Kikki but how about:

14 pts, 5-6 fg, 4-4 ft, 13 rbs, 1 ast, 1 pf, 0 stl, 0 pto, 4 blk. all in 30 mins of play.

or:

10 pts, 4-4 fg, 2-4 ft, 18 rb (7 orb), 0 ast, 5 pf, 1 stl, 3 to, 3blk. all in 38 mins of play.

If Wang manages to put up numbers anywhere near those even once this year, it would be a huge accomplishment.

And donīt give me that weak argument that he doesnīt get pt. He doesnīt get any pt because he canīt produce, not the other way around. Just look at his efficiency rating. Itīs negative allmost allways. For his last game the rating is -3.0, and -0.27 per minute. Would you play such a guy if you were coach?

Drbio
11-25-2002, 12:29 AM
Some of you have a wierd Wang fetish....

Usually Lurkin
11-25-2002, 02:07 PM
just wait till he has a chance to show what he can really do.

MavKikiNYC
11-25-2002, 02:57 PM
<< 14 pts, 5-6 fg, 4-4 ft, 13 rbs, 1 ast, 1 pf, 0 stl, 0 pto, 4 blk. all in 30 mins of play.

or:

10 pts, 4-4 fg, 2-4 ft, 18 rb (7 orb), 0 ast, 5 pf, 1 stl, 3 to, 3blk. all in 38 mins of play.

If Wang manages to put up numbers anywhere near those even once this year, it would be a huge accomplishment. >>

Whose are those numbers, and what are they doing here, Mr. Barkley?

So if the Wangster busts out for 19 sometime this year, will you be willing to kiss somebody's something-or-other? Dooby, I believe, is down for a car wash, if Wang hits 23 twice. Do I hear a higher offer?

<< And donīt give me that weak argument that he doesnīt get pt. He doesnīt get any pt because he canīt produce, not the other way around. >>

Is that the way it works for Mantis too? Or just Wang? If SB gets 4 fouls in 13 minutes and can't contribute for the rest of the game, how different is that, ultimately, from a DNP? The weakest arguments are those 48-minute-projected, coefficient-of-drag adjusted, reverse-double-somersault-spin, voodoo-economics concocted ones that say that SB is still contributing, nay DOMINATING for the fraction of a game that he lurches onto the court. I am developing TMJ syndrome from clinching my teeth when I see postings telling about how SB is still affecting the game positively for the Mavs, even though he didn't score a point, or grab more than a couple of rebounds, or play more than a grand total of 13 tea-totlin' minutes.

Holding my breath in hopes that SB hasn't begun his irreversible downward trajectory for the season. OTOH, my posts per day numbers should increase if he continues to give so much material to write about.

Usually Lurkin
11-25-2002, 03:05 PM
MavKiki-
why are you rambling on about Bradley's per48min stats?

This is a thread about how great Wang is. If you want to compare on-court production of the two players, that might make sense.

-However: those stats would only serve to make Wang look bad and Bradley look good. So please, if you want to let us know about the absolute dominance of Shawn Bradley in the per48min stats, start another thread.

madape
11-25-2002, 05:45 PM
Wang has never had more than 6 rebounds in a game in his entire career.

Shawn Bradley has already eclipsed that mark seven times this year.

Wang has never had more than two blocks in a game in his entire career.

Shawn Bradley has already eclipsed that mark six times this year.

Wang is shooting 31.8% from the field this year.

Bradley is shooting 57.7%

Wang is averaging a turnover every 7.7 minutes.

Bradley is averaging a turnover every 19.8 minutes.

Bradley has already grabbed 100 boards.

Wang has grabbed a whopping SIX.

Wang has more turnovers (7) than he has rebounds (6).

Bradley has more blocks (35) than missed field goals (30).

MavKikiNYC
11-25-2002, 07:43 PM
<< MavKiki-
why are you rambling on about Bradley's per48min stats? >>

You say 'rambling on', I say 'ridiculing'. Poh-tay-toh, poh-tah-toh.

<< This is a thread about how great Wang is. If you want to compare on-court production of the two players, that might make sense. >>

Correct you are that this thread is dedicated to 'honoring' Wang's efforts. I'm just saying that when Mantis plays to those same standards in a given game, that he should receive similar 'recognition'. Nothing more, nothing less.

<< However: those stats would only serve to make Wang look bad and Bradley look good. So please, if you want to let us know about the absolute dominance of Shawn Bradley in the per48min stats, start another thread. >>

You have a point. And if Mantis emits a third consecutive stinker of a game, it will be time for some people to put down the pom-poms and re-examine his efforts (or increasingly frequent lack thereof) to date.

madape
11-26-2002, 12:58 PM
Wang is dominating in at least one stat this year, the heralded &quot;Did not play - Coaches Decision&quot; stat:

Currently, Wang has more DNP-CDs (8) than he has:

Games Played
Rebounds
Assists
Steals
Blocks
Field Goals Made
Free-Throws Made

madape
11-26-2002, 01:05 PM
Here we see a Wang in it's natural habitat

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/gardenerscorner/john/images/bench.jpghttp://www.netlib.org/parkbench/bench.jpghttp://www.janpearson.com/images/bench.jpg
http://www.zencenter.org/bookstore/color/bench.JPGhttp://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:XVI504MHU9EC:espn.go.com/media/pg2/2001http://www.zencenter.org/bookstore/color/bench.JPG http://www.netlib.org/parkbench/bench.jpghttp://www.janpearson.com/images/bench.jpghttp://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/gardenerscorner/john/images/bench.jpg

Dooby
11-26-2002, 01:49 PM
Legitimate LOL.

Fidel
11-26-2002, 02:18 PM
LOL madape.

And Kikki, you were the one who compared Wang to Bradley.
And the Bradley stats I posted were obviously single game achievements not 48 minute stats. Funny how you didnīt comment on the efficiency thing. This is a stat that clearly shows: even if given minutes Wang canīt produce. His production is negative, doesnīt matter if he plays 5 or 15 minutes. Wang is averaging 1,17 efficiency points per game. Bradley averages 16,46. Wang plays 9 minutes per game, Bradley plays 29 mins per game. You can do the math.

<< Correct you are that this thread is dedicated to 'honoring' Wang's efforts. I'm just saying that when Mantis plays to those same standards in a given game, that he should receive similar 'recognition'. Nothing more, nothing less.
>>

Well no, because unlike Wang no one said Bradley might be the second coming of Dirk. And we kept hearing about how it was a huge mistake to let Wang go and how we could use him. And thatīs the whole point. The Bradley supporters came out AFTER he did produce, the Wang lovers keep talking what he woulda coulda shoulda do. But unlike Bradley he has done NOTHING so far. Big difference.

Evilmav2
11-26-2002, 02:32 PM
Hahahaha... Quality post Ape...

madape
11-27-2002, 08:55 AM
Wang played tonight!!!

4 minutes. 0 poitnts. 0 rebounds. 1 missed field goal.

He's now got his rebound average down to 0.6 a game. When adjusted for DNP-CDs, that number falls to 0.4 a game.

He's on pace to get a whopping 33 boards this year! Wow!

MavKikiNYC
11-27-2002, 09:16 AM
<< Wang played tonight!!!

4 minutes. 0 poitnts. 0 rebounds. 1 missed field goal.

He's now got his rebound average down to 0.6 a game. When adjusted for DNP-CDs, that number falls to 0.4 a game.

He's on pace to get a whopping 33 boards this year! Wow! >>

But he altered a lot of Utah's shots, stretched the defense with his outside shooting, and thoroughly dominated play in the 4 minutes that he was on the court. So many things just don't show up in the box score. His adjusted efficiency rating was phenomenal.

Wang's line was pretty similar to that of highly-touted rookie Chris Wilcox, and the well-regarded Quentin Richardson.

Sincere props to Matt Harpring who had a very nice 30-point game, raising his season average to 16.5. Mavs could've had him for a song.

Dooby
11-27-2002, 09:25 AM
<< But he altered a lot of Utah's shots, stretched the defense with his outside shooting, and thoroughly dominated play in the 4 minutes that he was on the court. So many things just don't show up in the box score. His adjusted efficiency rating was phenomenal. >>

LOL.

Dooby
11-27-2002, 09:25 AM
The dreaded double-post. But what the hell, I'll edit and post something.

4 minutes. 0 points. 0 rebounds. 1 missed field goal.

Wang's per 48 minute stats from last night: 0 points on 0-12 shooting; 0 rebounds; 0 assists; 0 blocks; 12 fouls.

Usually Lurkin
11-27-2002, 11:26 PM
lol dooby

. . . but really, if he had 20 min a night for a few games to get comfortable, I'm sure he'd be hitting at about 50% shooting, and grabbing some rebounds, too.

OutletPass
11-29-2002, 12:35 PM
MavsKiki...so this is where you've been.

Listen, I have got to agree with you about Matt Harpring and give you props on that one. Wish we had him...oh well, the Nellies aren't perfect. You do have a very valid point about the summer decision making.

Later.

Evilmav2
11-29-2002, 05:05 PM
It looks like another typical WangWang night on national television... DNP-CD during the heroic OT Clips win Thanksgiving night...

http://www.sportspagedallas.com/092702/wang.jpg

Up to this point of the season the Clippers are 2-7 when Wang plays more than 1 minute a game. During the two wins in that stretch Wang averaged the following impressive statline...

21 minutes, 1-8 total FG shooting, 0-4 3pt shooting, 5 pts, 2 rbs, 0 assists, 0 blocks, and 3 turnovers...

MFFL
11-29-2002, 10:23 PM
<< It looks like another typical WangWang night on national television... DNP-CD during the heroic OT Clips win Thanksgiving night. >>

I watched that game. It was so weird to see the Clips needing a 3 pointer to tie - not once but TWICE - and Wang was not on the court.

madape
12-01-2002, 10:41 PM
Another week of abscence and futility from our favorite traitor. He is now the offcial Clipper bench spare, perhaps the most dubious honor in professional sports. But unlike past Clip bench spares like Keith Closs and Stojko Vranovik, Wang shows absolutely no sign of ever becoming an NBA contributor. On the rare occasion that he even gets on the court, he flat out stinks. It's unbeleiveable... the widely heralded &quot;future all star&quot; is playing his way onto the IR of one of the worst teams in the NBA. What's next for Wang? Can the Clips afford to keep a player so incapable of conributing on their active roster? Wouldn't it be better for them to dump him now before he starts threatining rataliation for the Clips not complying to his demands for more playing time. How would the Clipper's asian fans react to a Wang Zhi Zhi walkout? If I were the Clips, I'd cut my losses now and avoid the another Wang betrayal. We all know he's planning one as we speak.

MFFL
12-01-2002, 11:37 PM
I wonder how much of his problem might be the language barrier. He did not noticeably improve his English while he was with the Mavs and Cuban hired a basketball coach to communicate with Wang. I can't imagine Sterling forking out the bucks to hire someone just to talk to Wang.

Evilmav2
12-02-2002, 12:31 AM
Wang's minutes may have disapeared because the People's Republic of China is no longer forcing his team to play him...

Dooby
12-02-2002, 10:58 AM
Wang does not show up in last night's boxscore (DNP or otherwise). I wonder what the deal is. Maybe he is on the IR list.

Usually Lurkin
12-02-2002, 01:03 PM
Wang has not been on the Yahoo box all year. Did you try NBA.com? earlier it was a tragic DNP.

Dooby
12-02-2002, 03:28 PM
I look at the ESPN site exclusively; he has shown up all year 'till last night.

Usually Lurkin
12-02-2002, 04:20 PM
just another case of Wang (once again) being hassled by the man.

Usually Lurkin
12-05-2002, 08:41 AM
Wang's per 48 minute stats against Miami last night:
24 rebounds
24 points
0 turnovers
0 fouls

Dooby
12-05-2002, 09:35 AM
Yeah, stats look that way when you play a whopping 4 minutes and get 2 points and 2 boards.

MavKikiNYC
12-05-2002, 10:34 AM
<< Wang's per 48 minute stats against Miami last night:
24 rebounds
24 points
0 turnovers
0 fouls >>

In a word: &quot;Dominant.&quot;

Evilmav2
12-06-2002, 04:18 PM
In a loss to the Jazz one game before Wang's big night in Miami, his per 48 minute stats were not quite as impressive...

http://www.beijing-olympic.org.cn/eolympic/ydy/mdmm/image/mdmm_wzz.jpg
0 pts.
0 rbs.
0 asst.
0 stl.
0 blk.
12 fouls

MavKikiNYC
12-06-2002, 05:07 PM
Like Bradley, his dominance has been intermittent.

Chiwas
12-06-2002, 05:11 PM
He is improving.

Usually Lurkin
12-06-2002, 05:51 PM
well, mavs fans are still calling for a 'banger' or an 'enforcer' down low.
And as evilmav2 pointed out, the great one is more than willing to play intimidator when needed.

Evilmav2
12-06-2002, 07:15 PM
http://www.igpc.net/featured/jumper2..gif
Intimidation...

http://www.igpc.net/featured/jumper.gif
Innovation...

http://www.igpc.net/featured/zhizhi.gif
The Man... The Myth... The Flying Great Wall Rocket... Wang Chung

Chiwas
12-06-2002, 07:34 PM
The Myth...

madape
12-08-2002, 09:30 AM
Based on minutes logged in recent games, here is what the Clippers player rotation at the center spot is rounding out to be:

http://espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/3244.jpg 1) Michael Olowakandi
http://media.nba.com/media/playerfile/melvin_ely.jpg2) Melvin Ely
http://espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/0853.jpg3) Sean Rooks
http://espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/3014.jpg4) Cherokee Parks
http://media.nba.com/media/playerfile/chris_wilcox.jpg5) Chris Wilcox
http://www.scatlover.com/images/Thumb_poo8.jpg6) Wang Zhi Zhi

Now that Ely is starting, it's obvious the Clippers see him as the eventual replacement for Kandi if he leaves. They must be incredibly disappointed in Wang. With Olowakandi out, he's still racking up DNPs. Even Cherokee Parks and Chris Wilcox are getting more minutes than him now-a-days. In fact, Wang is getting less minutes than anyone on the entire Clipper roster. The only reason he's been able to avoid IR duty, is because the Clips have been WHACKED with injuries. But can the Clips even afford to keep wasting a valuble roster spot on the totally inept Wang? I have a feeling that the Clippers don't want to carry six centers on their roster for the entire year. Wang will be in the unemployment line soon. The only question is whether there is another team foolish enough to claim him off waivers.

Evilmav2
12-09-2002, 12:14 AM
[i]Clips hardly have time for ex-Mav Wang

12/08/2002

On Tuesday, the Mavericks get their first chance to see former player Wang Zhizhi in his new Clippers uniform.

They better look fast. Wang might not be on the court very long – if at all.

In the Clippers' first 19 games this season, the 7-1 Wang has made just eight appearances, none as a starter. Three times, Wang played four minutes or less.

He's averaging less playing time this season in Los Angeles than he did last season in Dallas – even though the Clippers are a struggling team plagued by injuries.

Having signed the Chinese native to a three-year, $6 million contract in the off-season after the Mavericks declined to match the offer sheet, the Clippers don't seem to be getting much Wang for their bucks.

But head coach Alvin Gentry said Wang's infrequent appearance in the rotation is a simple matter of arithmetic. Center Michael Olowokandi and forward Elton Brand average nearly 40 minutes a night. That leaves just 16 minutes a game to be divided between the other big players, including two other former Mavericks, Sean Rooks and Cherokee Parks.

&quot;It's not so much that we don't want to use him,&quot; Gentry said of Wang, who could not be reached for comment. &quot;It's just finding the time to use him.&quot;

Even so, Gentry's response to Olowokandi's recent knee injury – one that landed him on the injured list this week – indicates the team is not ready to hand over substantial minutes to Wang.

Instead of moving Wang into the starting center spot Wednesday against Miami, Gentry turned to 6-10 rookie Melvin Ely, who missed the first month with a foot injury. Rooks then received the bulk of the minutes at center, with Wang getting just four minutes.

As the Clippers are finding out, the problem with Wang is that he's in love with his perimeter game. He fancies himself as the next Dirk Nowitzki, a 7-footer who can shoot daggers from the 3-point arc.

But while Wang does have a decent outside touch, he's not nearly as lethal or consistent as Nowitzki. And unlike the Mavericks star, Wang contributes little on the inside. The Clippers want him to get stronger, to rebound better and to develop some low-post moves.

In other words, they want to see more of the traditional things that a 7-footer usually provides.

&quot;One of the things that has gotten him in trouble is playing too much on the perimeter,&quot; Gentry said. &quot;He's got to learn how to play with his back to the basket.&quot;

Mavericks fans might be inclined to smirk at Wang's slide this season. After all, he left the team in a sticky situation this summer when he disappeared instead of honoring his agreement to play for his national team.

The Mavericks – who invested so much time and effort to make Wang the NBA's first Chinese player – and the Chinese Basketball Association have since taken a good-riddance approach.

Maybe, though, Wang is in a perfect situation for him. A low-pressure environment. A chance to develop at his own pace. And the potential for lots of playing time in the near future. After all, Olowokandi, Brand and Rooks are among eight Clippers who could leave as either restricted or unrestricted free agents after this season.

&quot;We like him,&quot; Gentry said. &quot;We just didn't sign him for this year. We got him for the future.&quot;

Right now, his future looks better than his present.

Nash13
12-09-2002, 12:32 AM
I say boo his 1 min per game behind right out of the arena on Tuesday.

Why did he leave the Mavs, who have low amount of big men, to go to the Clippers to compete for playin time against veterans and promising ROOKIES?

David
12-09-2002, 06:31 AM
Clips hardly have time for ex-Mav Wang

12/08/2002

...But while Wang does have a decent outside touch, he's not nearly as lethal or consistent as Nowitzki. And unlike the Mavericks star, Wang contributes little on the inside. The Clippers want him to get stronger, to rebound better and to develop some low-post moves....

In other words, they want to see more of the traditional things that a 7-footer usually provides....

&quot;One of the things that has gotten him in trouble is playing too much on the perimeter,&quot; Gentry said. &quot;He's got to learn how to play with his back to the basket.&quot;...

...Maybe, though, Wang is in a perfect situation for him. A low-pressure environment. A chance to develop at his own pace. And the potential for lots of playing time in the near future. After all, Olowokandi, Brand and Rooks are among eight Clippers who could leave as either restricted or unrestricted free agents after this season....

&quot;We like him,&quot; Gentry said. &quot;We just didn't sign him for this year. We got him for the future.&quot; Right now, his future looks better than his present.

madape
12-09-2002, 07:49 AM
The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades.

Frank_Wang
12-09-2002, 11:53 PM
madape
You no class for posting that pic about Wang Zhizhi.

Bill King
12-10-2002, 06:08 AM
At least, Wang can be the SF(or PF) when Dirk is not playing.
Maybe he can't be a good center, but he can make 3-point shots. In shooting 3-points, he is not worse than Dirk!

Dooby
12-10-2002, 08:48 AM
last night v. Hornets-DNP-CD. i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif

Chiwas
12-10-2002, 12:01 PM
<< last night v. Hornets-DNP-CD >>

He improved totally.

Usually Lurkin
12-10-2002, 12:02 PM
Predictions for Wang against mavs:

Wang finally allowed to unleash the fire that has built up within him for so long:
20 min, 25 points, 13 rebounds, 4 blocks
5 fouls earned for repeatedly knocking Bradley and Nowitski to the floor
2 techs for punching Nelson and Cuban in the face.
Or a DNP-cd.

MavKikiNYC
12-10-2002, 08:04 PM
Anybody think Wang will try to dunk over SB?

Evilmav2
12-10-2002, 08:14 PM
Has Wang ever tried to dunk over anyone but 6-3 Chinese Basketball Association centers?

If he has, I've never seen it...

Oh well, maybe there is hope for WangWang after all. Today in the DMN, he referred to his education as a Clipper... Wang:&quot;I've learned a lot from the Clippers so far, especially in my low-post game. I do wish that the team had a better record though...&quot;

Well, I'm sure that the Clips' record will be much better once they lose Brand and Olowakandi in free agency, and then maybe, Wang will get his great chance to show just how much he has been learning this year...

Once he shakes off his streak of DNP-CD's, he should have just what it takes to take his part in helping to uphold the Clips' shining history of basketball excellence...

madape
12-10-2002, 09:02 PM
I don't know EvilMav, even Kandi leaves, Wang would still have four other centers ahead of him in the depth charts.

As for dunking over Bradley, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one actually has to get off the bench in order to make a dunk attemt. Has Wang actually completed a successful dunk? He's had only 13 FG attempts all year that weren't three pointers. I'm not sure that a man with a negative vertical leap can even dunk to begin with. Nonetheless, I don't think Wang has the balls to take it up against Bradley. But then again, he'd have to get into the game to prove it, and we all know he won't.

BTW - I just realized that in the past six months, Wang's coaches have chosen to pass Wang over in favor of six current and former Mav centers: Bradley, Raef, Esch, Dirk, Rooks, and Cherokee. If we count Kandi, Ely, and Wilcox, that makes nine players in six months who coaches would rather play at center that Wang. I think that's a record.

MavKikiNYC
12-10-2002, 11:07 PM
Double.

MavKikiNYC
12-10-2002, 11:07 PM
Wang Zhizhi 19 3-7 1-1 2-3 0 3 3 1 3 0 0 1 9
Raef LaFrentz 21 4-8 1-3 0-0 1 2 3 1 3 1 0 4 9

Plus, for a while, Wang's 48-minute projections had him going at a 48 point per game pace.

He was dominant tonight for the Clips.

Frank_Wang
12-10-2002, 11:20 PM
Why does most Dallas Mavs fans think Wang is not worth the contract the Clips gave him?

Just see

Dallas Mavericks
Player 2002-2003
Evan Eschmeyer $3,103,000

Yeah,I konw Evan's rebounds skill is better than Wang.But beside it,he is nothing.

Chiwas
12-11-2002, 12:10 AM
A dollar is too much if you don't play.

Evilmav2
12-11-2002, 12:14 AM
Why does most Dallas Mavs fans think Wang is not worth the contract the Clips gave him?

&quot;It would be good to have him, but we're not going to miss him. We'll find the two or three points from somewhere else.&quot;
Mark Cuban

OutletPass
12-11-2002, 12:30 AM
Frank...Why didn't Wang want to remain here ? I think that's the real question.

Frank_Wang
12-11-2002, 01:19 AM
<< Frank...Why didn't Wang want to remain here ? I think that's the real question. >>

I don't konw.
But I don't think the reason is salary.
I like the past times he was a Mavs player.

i.liek.basketball
12-11-2002, 03:16 AM
negative vertical
http://www.nba.com/media/mavericks/Finley2goesinforshot121002.jpg

Usually Lurkin
12-11-2002, 08:32 AM
Frank,

I liked wang as a mav, too. I'd like Wang as a clip if he got playing time.
I don't like what happened over the summer, and think that was Wang's fault.

Big Boy Laroux
12-11-2002, 08:58 AM
i don't think picture is a good indication of wang's vertical leap. after all, he's not jumping, he's pushing himself up off of brand...

Usually Lurkin
12-11-2002, 09:45 AM
<< i don't think picture is a good indication of wang's vertical leap. after all, he's not jumping, he's pushing himself up off of brand... >>

Wang is incredibly strong.

i.liek.basketball
12-11-2002, 11:25 AM
Either that, or saying &quot; hang on elt, I got this one..&quot;

Evilmav2
12-11-2002, 06:39 PM
Why did we &quot;lose&quot; Wang?

&quot;It is every athlete's honor and responsibility to represent his country in international games, but Wang made the wrong decision when he was needed. Since Wang has lost his professional and patriotic sprit, CBA decided to deprive him of the membership of national basketball team&quot;
Peoples Daily of Beijing

&quot;Wang would have been our third center. That's a part of it. But it's quite clear he broke his word to us, and that really meant a lot to us.&quot;
Don Nelson

http://www.iespana.es/zerfnba/archivo/wangzhizhi/galeria_wangzhizhi_01/thumbs/wangzhizhi003_t.jpg
Wang: Before Lies and Dishonor...

MavKikiNYC
12-11-2002, 07:00 PM
Believe what they tell you to....makes a great Commmunist.

MavKikiNYC
12-11-2002, 07:00 PM
Believe what they tell you to....makes a great Commmunist.

Evilmav2
12-11-2002, 07:32 PM
I'll choose to believe what Mark Cuban and Don Nelson have to say about Wang's duplicity. Does that make me a communist?

http://www.poster.net/che-guevara/che-guevara-soviet-union-flag-posterflag-4001883.jpg
New Banner of Cuban and Nelson?

MavKikiNYC
12-11-2002, 08:16 PM
A GULLIBLE Communist.

David
12-11-2002, 08:40 PM
Wang didn't look as good for the Clippers as he did last year for the Mavs. I think I see why Nelson was JUST using him as a spot up shooter. Wang needs a lot of work and playing time. He wasn't going to get it for the Mavs because the Mavs are title contenders with no time to develop players that far off of being combat ready. I can see why the Clippers are reluctant to play him much. I still like his potential, though.

MavKikiNYC
12-11-2002, 08:53 PM
Wrong, David.

He was dominant. DOMINANT. D-O-M-I-N-A-N-T.

In the Bradleyian sense.

Evilmav2
12-11-2002, 09:22 PM
Shawn Bradley
http://media.nba.com/media/playerfile/shawn_bradley.jpg
Two Time NBA Shot-Blocking Champion
All-Time Leading Mavericks' Shot Blocker
Ranks #6 in the NBA in Blocks Per Game(2.62)
Ranks #4 in the NBA in Blocks(55.0)
Ranks #11 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(10.1)
Ranks #15 in the NBA in Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(14.4)
Ranks #3 in the NBA in Blocks Per 48 Minutes(4.88)
Ranks #11 in the NBA in Efficiency Ranking Per 48 Minutes(30.17)
8.7 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 2.97 bpg in limited minutes
Mavericks' Record: 18-2

WangWang
http://media.nba.com/media/playerfile/zhizhi_wang.jpg
3.8 ppg, 1.2 rpg, .78 TO pg
Wang has produced more turnovers (33) than blocks and steals combined (32)
12 DNP-CD's
Clippers' Record: 9-12

madape
12-12-2002, 12:54 AM
Kiki - The thing about Wang is that, unlike Bradley, his per 48 minute stats SUCK. Don't you think it's time you put down the pipe and join the rest of the world in realizing that Wang was all hype. David is man enough to admit he may have been wrong about Wang.. are you?

David
12-12-2002, 06:42 AM
<< Kiki - The thing about Wang is that, unlike Bradley, his per 48 minute stats SUCK. Don't you think it's time you put down the pipe and join the rest of the world in realizing that Wang was all hype. David is man enough to admit he may have been wrong about Wang.. are you? >>

I don't know about &quot;wrong about Wang&quot; but he certainly didn't look that good the other night. He is still &quot;potential&quot; and not &quot;actuality&quot;.

I don't see Bradley setting the world on fire either after 10 years in the league. Bradley still makes the same mistakes he always has and can't hang with the big boys such as Robinson/Duncan as evidenced by last night. With Dirk out, Shawn had a chance to shine but didn't. Still only the occasional flashes that make you say, &quot;damn, why doesn't he do that ALL the time&quot;, like that follow up slam he made at one point.

MavKikiNYC
12-12-2002, 08:57 AM
I think the key to effectively using 48-minute-projected stats is to project them at the right time in the game. And the other night after having played 6 minutes, The Wang Beast had 6 points, which, as you will note, projects to 48ppg--dominant.

I used to wonder how fans could ignore obvious deficiencies in Mavs players (okay, a couple in particular) and just proclaim them 'dominant', but then I realized that viewing the game was less complicated and more enjoyable that way, so a player like Wang became dominant for me.

Thanks to all those Mavs fans (okay, a couple in particular) who showed the way.

Chiwas
12-12-2002, 11:12 AM
<< He is still &quot;potential&quot; and not &quot;actuality&quot;. >>

In my humble (i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif) oppinion, Wang hasnīt the potential dreamed by some of us in his contract's process, including Cuban and Nelson. I see him very slow and soft and these characteristics are hard to improve. Course he has some presence on the court in some moments of the game, but not enough to be considered a good player; and hardly he will improve enough to be an NBA starter. I lessen my favorable oppinion about him when I saw Yao playing; there is potential here.

Hope Wang demostrates the contrary because there are many people who like him and expect a lot from him, mainly in the LA zone.

OutletPass
12-12-2002, 06:16 PM
What's the statute of limitations on &quot;potential&quot; anyway ?

MavKikiNYC
12-12-2002, 10:42 PM
How old is Mantis again....?

Evilmav2
12-12-2002, 11:35 PM
&quot;A decade ago, Chinese viewers were lucky to see just one NBA game per week, usually from a month-old tape the NBA mailed to Beijing. Now, the average Chinese viewer can watch four games weekly, and many can catch a fifth game on Hong Kong-based satellite channel Star Sports -- or nearly as many games as are now shown nationally each week in the United States.

Ren said more than 30 of the 84 Houston Rockets games will be broadcast in China, as well as several games with the San Antonio Spurs, the team that signed Chinese player Bateer Menk. But he said the Los Angeles Clippers have been banned from the air, because team member Wang Zhizhi -- who became the first Chinese player to join the NBA last season -- refused to return home for the Asian Games last summer.&quot; The Washington Post

The Dishonor of Wang is already reaping rich dividends for the hapless Clippers...

Chiwas
12-12-2002, 11:42 PM
<< What's the statute of limitations on &quot;potential&quot; anyway ? >>

I think &quot;potential&quot; is what is left in your body and in your mind that can be used in the future, that will permit you to make your activities and to have tour thoughts in a higher degree compared with the degree developed or showed 'til the present moment.

&quot;Higher degree&quot; would mean &quot;better&quot; (improve) in the frame of reference generally accepted in the environment where the activities and thoughts are achieved or created.

Some Mavs that I think made use of some of their potential to improve from the last season to this season:
-Dirk
-Griffin
-N&aacute;jera
-Bradley (maybe here we have a case when somebody returned to a level previously reached, then there wasnīt a &quot;making use of potential&quot;, but a &quot;returning&quot;. The old timers could tell it.

A main characteristic of &quot;potential&quot; is that it is consumed when itīs used, or vanishes when isnīt used with the time going.

MavKikiNYC
12-13-2002, 07:40 PM
<< &quot;A decade ago, Chinese viewers were lucky to see just one NBA game per week, usually from a month-old tape the NBA mailed to Beijing. Now, the average Chinese viewer can watch four games weekly, and many can catch a fifth game on Hong Kong-based satellite channel Star Sports -- or nearly as many games as are now shown nationally each week in the United States.

Ren said more than 30 of the 84 Houston Rockets games will be broadcast in China, as well as several games with the San Antonio Spurs, the team that signed Chinese player Bateer Menk. But he said the Los Angeles Clippers have been banned from the air, because team member Wang Zhizhi -- who became the first Chinese player to join the NBA last season -- refused to return home for the Asian Games last summer.&quot; The Washington Post

The Dishonor of Wang is already reaping rich dividends for the hapless Clippers... >>

Sounds like extortion to me. Which makes the Mavs complicit.

Usually Lurkin
12-14-2002, 08:37 AM
<< Sounds like extortion to me. Which makes the Mavs complicit. >>

uh. no. Mavs refused to participate.

MavKikiNYC
12-14-2002, 09:49 AM
They participated by refusing to sign Wang.

Usually Lurkin
12-14-2002, 10:39 AM
so?
Are all the other teams who did not sign Wang complicit?
Are all the McDonalds', Burgerkingss, and Taco Bells' that did not hire him complicit?

put another way:
if a contractor kicks me in the balls, and I don't renew his contract, how can I in anyway be associated when his contracting firm kicks his next client in the balls?

MavKikiNYC
12-14-2002, 11:04 AM
<< so?
Are all the other teams who did not sign Wang complicit? >>

Yes, if they did not pursue him for fear of retribution. (http://www.dallas-mavs.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=3&amp;threadid=6472)

<< Are all the McDonalds', Burgerkingss, and Taco Bells' that did not hire him complicit? >>

Not complicit, but cowardly if they were considering signing him to an endorsement deal and then pulled out for fear of offending the Communist government of China.

<< put another way:
if a contractor kicks me in the balls, and I don't renew his contract, how can I in anyway be associated when his contracting firm kicks his next client in the balls? >>

Not sure I follow your analogy, but it would depend on why he kicked you in the balls.

Wang's refusal to go back to China was not a kick in the balls to the Mavericks...that's just so much smoke. That's the sad-sack, wounded-honor ruse that Nellie and Cuban are dealing to keep from looking so mercenary.

Put another way...suppose you're a software contractor for Microsoft. You design a revolutionary product that works best on Macs and will give Apple a significant increse in market share, but has the potential to be developed for other PCs and greatly enhance their functionality.

MS tries to buy your product for far less than its value, so that they can maintain competitive advantage over Apple. You decline the MS offer and go to work for Apple. MS threatens any comptuer manufacturer with retribution if they use or promote your product in any way.

Where does a computer manufacturer stand ethically if they allow themselves to be cowed by Microsoft and refuse to use your product for fear of pissing off MS? Are manufacturers who refuse to use your product complicit in helping MS exercise monopoly power? Cowardly?

Usually Lurkin
12-14-2002, 11:27 AM
<< Yes, if they did not pursue him for fear of retribution. (http://www.dallas-mavs.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=3&amp;threadid=6472) >>

no evidence that this was their motivation.

<< Where does a computer manufacturer stand ethically if they allow themselves to be cowed by Microsoft and refuse to use your product for fear of pissing off MS? >>

to be more accurate, the developer signed a contract with me (Palm) and microsoft stating that after developing his skills while on loan to my company, he would return to microsoft to finish out his contract there. After breaking the contract he signed with me, he goes to work for apple instead of returning to MS. Why would microsoft then have any responsibility whatsoever to promote products developed by that programmer for apple? And how is Palm complicit in Microsoft's lack of promotion of Apple?

MavKikiNYC
12-14-2002, 11:32 AM
<<

<< Yes, if they did not pursue him for fear of retribution. (http://www.dallas-mavs.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=3&amp;threadid=6472) >>

no evidence that this was their motivation. >>

Evidence?

<< [i]Ren said more than 30 of the 84 Houston Rockets games will be broadcast in China, as well as several games with the San Antonio Spurs, the team that signed Chinese player Bateer Menk. [b]But he said the Los Angeles Clippers have been banned from the air, because team member Wang Zhizhi -- who became the first Chinese player to join the NBA last season -- refused to return home for the Asian Games last summer.&quot; The Washington Post/

<< [i]

MavKikiNYC
12-14-2002, 11:37 AM
<< Why would microsoft then have any responsibility whatsoever to promote products developed by that programmer for apple? And how is Palm complicit in Microsoft's lack of promotion of Apple? >>

MS wouldn't have any responsibility to promote the product. Nor would they have the right to threaten manufacturers with retribution for using the software.

Suppose further, that MS wanted about 75% of the any profit derived from your innovation, just as a condition for allowing you the time to develop it, plus they reserved the right to get you to come back to MS and field tech support questions anytime they said so. If you, Palm, knew the extremely unfair and onerous nature of the contract that MS imposed on the developer in order for him to be able to develop his product; and you, Palm, acquiesced to the contract for your own company's benefit, then passively assited in the retributive supra-contractual anti-competitive actions of MS, ....

then I'd put you about where Cuban and Nellie are.

Usually Lurkin
12-14-2002, 11:39 AM
I'm sorry if this linear time concept is that far beyond you,

but that happened after Wang went to the Clips.
The mavs decision was mad before wang went to the clips.

should the mavs have dialed up Miss Cleo?

David
12-14-2002, 11:42 AM
When Wang signed with the Mavs, the Mavs, Wang and the Chinese government signed an agreement that Wang would come back to China when the season was over. Wang fulfilled his agreements up until he didn't return after last season. The Mavs had a signed agreement that they chose to live up to. Wang chose not to live up to his part of the agreement. Wang is now suffering the consequences. He didn't have to return the China. The Mavs didn't have to re-sign him. The Chinese don't have to show him on TV. Each party is free to do what they want.

MavKikiNYC
12-14-2002, 11:48 AM
<< I'm sorry if this linear time concept is that far beyond you,

but that happened after Wang went to the Clips.
The mavs decision was mad before wang went to the clips.

should the mavs have dialed up Miss Cleo? >>

Man, banning the Clips occured AFTER he went there, but the THREAT of retribution existed all along. The Chinese would've banned broadcast of games involving whatever team signed Wang, including the Mavericks probably. And the Chinese were counting on this leverage in order to keep Wang under their thumb.

Each party is free to do what they want.

That's kinda cavalier. Wang isn't precisely free to do what he wants-- without consequences.

Wang stood up to a bully who was demanding his lunch money and is now paying the consequences.

The Mavericks held the bully's coat while he kicked Wang,
and 27 other teams stood by silently and allowed the bully to kick Wang around. All free to do what they want.

That's one way of looking at it.

Chiwas
12-14-2002, 01:05 PM
<< When Wang signed with the Mavs, the Mavs, Wang and the Chinese government signed an agreement that Wang would come back to China when the season was over. Wang fulfilled his agreements up until he didn't return after last season. The Mavs had a signed agreement that they chose to live up to. Wang chose not to live up to his part of the agreement. Wang is now suffering the consequences. He didn't have to return the China. The Mavs didn't have to re-sign him. The Chinese don't have to show him on TV. Each party is free to do what they want. >>

I think the main problem was that there werenīt legal papers about the special agreement. Above all, the part related with the Wang's responsabilities with the Chinese authorities; I don't think that the NBA or the USA's laws allow this kind of obligations.

David
12-14-2002, 07:23 PM
Wang is a Chinese citizen. He is bound by Chinese laws. When he is over here, he must abide by the laws over here. He signed an agreement. He didn't live up to it. The Mavs chose to live up to their agreement. If Wang didn't want to do what he agreed to do, he shouldn't have signed.

Chiwas
12-14-2002, 07:40 PM
Then he is a defecter from China,de facto.

Maybe he canīt return or visit his country anymore.

Dooby
12-16-2002, 10:34 AM
<< Wang is a Chinese citizen. He is bound by Chinese laws. When he is over here, he must abide by the laws over here. He signed an agreement. He didn't live up to it. The Mavs chose to live up to their agreement. If Wang didn't want to do what he agreed to do, he shouldn't have signed. >>

David, I can't begin to tell you how little sense this makes or how wrong it is.

David
12-16-2002, 10:25 PM
<<

<< Wang is a Chinese citizen. He is bound by Chinese laws. When he is over here, he must abide by the laws over here. He signed an agreement. He didn't live up to it. The Mavs chose to live up to their agreement. If Wang didn't want to do what he agreed to do, he shouldn't have signed. >>

David, I can't begin to tell you how little sense this makes or how wrong it is. >>

1. Wang is a Chinese citizen. Chinese citizens are bound by Chinese laws. This makes sense.

2. Wang is over here, presumably under some kind of work visa. He either obeys the law or they deport him. That makes sense.

3. Wang signed an agreement to play in the US. Three parties signed the agreement. The Chinese, the Mavs and Wang. Among other things, the agreement said Wang would return to China after the season and that the Mavs would see that he did.

4. After the last year, Wang was supposed to return to China per the agreement. Wang did not. Had the Mavs re-signed Wang, it would have given the appearance that the Mavs didn't care if Wang lived up to his agreements and the Mavs therefore don't live up to THEIR agreements.

5. The system of government in China is another issue. The Mavs are not responsible for trying to change their system over in China or for helping Wang circumvent that system or his agreements over here.

6. Wang didn't have to sign the agreement to return to China. If he didn't like it, he shouldn't have signed. Wang got over to the US and started feeling the freedom and decided to do something else. He apparently can get away with it, he's still here. The Chinese are apparently doing what they can to make it hard on him. It's better than their sending a hit squad out after him.

Usually Lurkin
12-21-2002, 11:47 AM
who cares about the politics?

Wang kicks butt against the suns:

17 minutes
16 points
5 reb
1 block

just give him more playing time!!!

MavKikiNYC
12-21-2002, 01:18 PM
LOL...

I'm tellin' ya ...the big Wang is a point-a-minute kind-o'-player.
You KNOW Dooby et al were sweating this one.

Looks like he might've been a garbage-time star. I checked mid-game--the Clips were already way behind and he had a half dozen points already.

But yeah. I think he can put some numbers up at least given the minutes.

The Clips are one disappointing bunch this year overall. When they got Miller, I thought they were going to be tough. But so far, nothing but a big pffffft...

Super Slow Mo
12-21-2002, 05:28 PM
kiki, with 3 starters out, and 1 of the starters for 1 of the hurt starters out, what ya expect?

Evilmav2
12-21-2002, 07:28 PM
Ha... I knew the Wang Lovers club would get excited the first time he did anything productive this season. This game has been a long time coming. Congratulations Wang! You just took your first step toward actually earning your salary this year!

MavKikiNYC
12-22-2002, 10:23 AM
WZZ is on a run, showing himself to be a difference-maker by contributing 5 huge points in a 3 point win. He had 2 points after only 3 minutes of play, which as we all know, projects to a 32ppg performance on a 48-minute basis. He hit 100% of his 3-point shots, leading the Clipper team to a sizzling 60% (6-10) from 3-point range.

He also showed himself to be a Hungry Giant Awakening into an Emasculating Defensive Presence by collecting his 5TH blocked shot of the season, and helped limit the Nuggets 3-point shooting to 2-10.

Wang Zhizhi--M: 14 FGs: 2-5 3s: 1-1 FTs: 0-0 Reb: 0 Ast:0 PF: 0 St:0 TO: 0 BS: 1 PTS: 5

He totally outplayed Predrag Savovic, but I'm not at all shocked.

Wang--keep it up.

Evilmav2
12-22-2002, 01:44 PM
Wang's presence is usually defensively emasculated by whatever PF is fortunate enough to have the easy assignment of guarding the traitorous flying rocket...

realclipsfan
12-22-2002, 02:27 PM
I watched the game last night, Wang is a solid player.

Chiwas
12-22-2002, 02:49 PM
<< Wang is a solid player. >>

Wang's 2002-2003 statistics:

14 0 9.4 .415 .450 .667 .30 1.00 1.30 .1 .07 .36 .64 .80 4.5

<< Raef is a joke >>

LaFrentz 2002-2003 statistics:

13 10 22.1 .495 .500 .813 1.30 2.00 3.30 .5 .46 1.23 .54 3.90 8.8

I can't understand why Wang is a solid player while LaFrentz is a joke, comparing their statistics and knowing that LaFrentz has been injured, had a surgery and is in rehabilitation, all during the season, meanwhile Wang has been totally healthy in the same time.

Some bias?

realclipsfan
12-22-2002, 05:50 PM
Wang may have been healthy but he missed the entire training camp, did Raef? Wang also makes 2m per, what about Raef? Wang doesn't get a whole lot of PT either, does he? Wang doesn't know much english, what about Raef? This is Wangs 3rd year in the USA, what about Raef? When Wangs on the court, he atleast tries and we all know about him staying over in the good ol' U.S.of A. to work on his game. Do you expect the same productivity out of Popeye and Najera? Of course not, why? Raefs averaging less than 4rpg I believe, come on you guys cannot be happy with that, I know I am not.

LRB
12-22-2002, 06:24 PM
Hmmmm. There never was a question of whether the Mavs would keep Wang or Raef. Guess we could not have signed Raef and signed Wang. But that was never even a consideration. Maybe the reason it wasn't because even though Raef is not producing near what we hoped for, he is still head and shoulders better than Wang.

<< Raefs averaging less than 4rpg I believe, come on you guys cannot be happy with that, I know I am not. >>

Yes, I would like Raef to average more than 1 rebound every 6.7 minutes of play. But he is hurt, and the hope is when he returns to health he will at least average a rebound every 4.0 minutes of play. Wang on the other hand is averaging a rebound every 7.2 minutes of play. I would say that sucks. Figure Wang is A) healthy, B) not playing against the quality of rebounders that Raef is (happens when your minutes primarily come in garbage time, C) is playing on an underachieving lottery bound team that teams don't get up to play like they do the Mavs.

Not to mention that Wang in the words of Nellie &quot;doesn't have a clue defensively&quot;.

Then there is the chemistry and integrity factor. Wang wasn't good for the Mavs chemistry wise. He was too selvish. I believe that would have shown up big time this year. And if he is so solid why is he having such a hard time getting off the bench despite injuries?

Raef maynot be having a decent year so far, but I would much rather have him on my team even in his dimished capacity when facing the kings then Wang.

LRB
12-22-2002, 06:37 PM
<< WZZ is on a run, showing himself to be a difference-maker by contributing 5 huge points in a 3 point win. He had 2 points after only 3 minutes of play, which as we all know, projects to a 32ppg performance on a 48-minute basis. He hit 100% of his 3-point shots, leading the Clipper team to a sizzling 60% (6-10) from 3-point range.

He also showed himself to be a Hungry Giant Awakening into an Emasculating Defensive Presence by collecting his 5TH blocked shot of the season, and helped limit the Nuggets 3-point shooting to 2-10.

Wang Zhizhi--M: 14 FGs: 2-5 3s: 1-1 FTs: 0-0 Reb: 0 Ast:0 PF: 0 St:0 TO: 0 BS: 1 PTS: 5

He totally outplayed Predrag Savovic, but I'm not at all shocked.

Wang--keep it up. >>

Points per minute statistic is meaningless, as are all statistics unless a large enough base of data is obtained. Given enough 2 minute opportunities, I could drap my fat butt out on the court and hit 1 shot. So what? Nobody in their right mind is going to offer me even a 10 day contract and nobody in their right mind is going to believe Wang is ready to consistently score at that pace when given substantial and quality minutes. So what happens when one of the big 3 hits a shot in the 1st 5 seconds? Lets see that works out to 1152 points per 48 minutes. Obiviously anybody with a rudimentry grasp of statistics and the NBA game can see what a ludicrious argument it is to use 48 minute statistics for 2 minutes of playing time. I can only guess that you were doing this in an attempt at humor. If so, good one. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

realclipsfan
12-22-2002, 09:45 PM
So if and when he continues to play like this, then what?

MavKikiNYC
12-22-2002, 10:33 PM
He'll be an All-Star soon.

Evilmav2
12-22-2002, 11:11 PM
Hmmmm. There never was a question of whether the Mavs would keep Wang or Raef. Guess we could not have signed Raef and signed Wang. But that was never even a consideration. Maybe the reason it wasn't because even though Raef is not producing near what we hoped for, he is still head and shoulders better than Wang.

Wang was a restricted free agent, meaning that we were free to match the Clippers offer and resign him if we so chose. His absence on the Mavs' roster is the result of Wang's lying to Mavericks' management...

Although in retrospect, our failure to resign Wang probably makes sense from a talent point of view anyway. I think Wang's replacement, Walt Williams, has done a heckuva lot more to help us win games than Wang might have this year...

LRB
12-23-2002, 02:18 AM
<< Hmmmm. There never was a question of whether the Mavs would keep Wang or Raef. Guess we could not have signed Raef and signed Wang. But that was never even a consideration. Maybe the reason it wasn't because even though Raef is not producing near what we hoped for, he is still head and shoulders better than Wang.

Wang was a restricted free agent, meaning that we were free to match the Clippers offer and resign him if we so chose. His absence on the Mavs' roster is the result of Wang's lying to Mavericks' management...

Although in retrospect, our failure to resign Wang probably makes sense from a talent point of view anyway. I think Wang's replacement, Walt Williams, has done a heckuva lot more to help us win games than Wang might have this year... >>

Good point. Thanks for bringing Walt up. I had meant to and forgot. I remember hearing the anouncers repeating a conversation with Nellie stating that Walt was the Mavs #3 rebounder in per minute rebounds, the key stat that the Mavs use internally. The 2 hand behind the back dunks in traffic are a nice bonus too.

Evilmav2
12-23-2002, 04:57 PM
With Walt's tough play we won games in Seattle and Cleveland that might well have been lost without him. His gamesmanship and fiery play make a refreshing contrast to the breezy, sauntering, sometimes uninterested playing style of Wang last year...

The loss of Wang was addition by subtraction. We no longer carry the dead weight of a three point shooting softy who refuses to rebound- a player we were forced to give guaranteed minutes because of the demands of his communist government- and what happened? Quite simply we improved. The winners of the Wang sweepstakes in LA cannot claim so much...

LRB
12-23-2002, 05:21 PM
Evil: From seeing the Mavs play against teams with Walt on them, I'd way rather have him on our team just so we won't have to play against him. Can't say the same for Wang.

MavKikiNYC
12-23-2002, 06:08 PM
<< I think Wang's replacement, Walt Williams... >>

Actually, Williams was a replacement for Newmann; Jones was signed to replace Wang; and Bell for Buckner.

<< We no longer carry the dead weight of a three point shooting softy who refuses to rebound- >>

What about LaF? Popeye, though long a favorite of mine, would also be pretty accurately described as deadweight this year. As would Esch.

<< a player we were forced to give guaranteed minutes because of the demands of his communist government >>

Are you alleging that the Mavericks acted at the behest of a Communist regime? Do you believe they also declined to re-sign Wang because of similarly imposed pressure? Who would've thought the Donald Sterling would've had the balls to stand up to the Commmunists when Cuban wouldn't?

<< Quite simply we improved. >>

Until the Mavericks advance into the Conference Finals, that assessment is precipitous.

<< The winners of the Wang sweepstakes in LA cannot claim so much... >>

To attribute to Wang the Clipper's demise is....not surprising, considering the source.

Wang's quiet rise to dominance continues unabated, despite the churlish slings and arrows of fair-weather Mavericks fans who only cheer as long as a player is with the Mavericks, but show true colors when a player moves on to bigger, better things. Real Mavericks fans wouldn't jeer alumni.

OutletPass
12-24-2002, 01:28 AM
The thread that never dies

...think it will still be going in 2006. Any bets on that happening ? Who's giving odds ?

LRB
12-24-2002, 01:40 AM
I'd give slightly better odds to the thread still going in 2006 than Wang still going in the NBA in 2006.

realclipsfan
12-24-2002, 02:53 AM
kiki, that was a damn good post

realclipsfan
12-24-2002, 02:54 AM
kiki, that was a damn good post

madape
12-24-2002, 10:25 AM
<< The thread that never dies

...think it will still be going in 2006. Any bets on that happening ? Who's giving odds ? >>

My prediction for 2006: After China and America become allies following the quelling of the insurgence in North Korea, we will cooperate with China in extraditing all Chinese political figures taking exile in America. The INS will swoop down on Wang's Los Angeles restaurant &quot;Dodger's egg foo yung&quot; and arrest him while he schmoozes with adoring customers. After two quiet years with Wang being out of the league, Wang supporters will resurface in a protest march on Washington. One sign, carried by 12 year old Japanese kid will read &quot;Free Wang, the next Dirk Nowitzki&quot;.

President George Bush, in his second term as US president, issues this announcement: &quot;With the help of China, we have located and arrested all threats to the Chinese, American global alliance... including the failed basketball star Wang Zhi Zhi. The world is now a safer place.&quot;

When interviewed about Wang, Don Nelson, who's Maverick team has won three straigt NBA Championships, simply chuckes.

Donald Sterling, who's Clippers were banned by Chinese television and who had been in the lottery ten consecutive years, decides to sell the team to a group of Chinese businessmen, relocating the team to Beijing. The &quot;Beijing Dragons&quot; will be made up entirely of Chinese basketball players. In 2007, they will set the record for most losses in an NBA season. In 2008, the team will be sold back to an investement group in Dallas... which will make Dallas the third city in
America to support NBA two eams.

Evilmav2
12-24-2002, 06:33 PM
Wang's quiet rise to dominance continues unabated, despite the churlish slings and arrows of fair-weather Mavericks fans who only cheer as long as a player is with the Mavericks, but show true colors when a player moves on to bigger, better things. Real Mavericks fans wouldn't jeer alumni.

Wang is a liar and a traitor. His lies to the Mavericks and his nation are well documented. That puts him in a different category from former Mavs like the Lucious Harris' and George McClouds of the world. I will not criticize former Mavs for no reason, but I have no qualms about throwing churlish slings and arrows at derelict and mercenary traitors...

David
12-24-2002, 07:09 PM
<< Wang's quiet rise to dominance continues unabated, despite the churlish slings and arrows of fair-weather Mavericks fans who only cheer as long as a player is with the Mavericks, but show true colors when a player moves on to bigger, better things. Real Mavericks fans wouldn't jeer alumni.

Wang is a liar and a traitor. His lies to the Mavericks and his nation are well documented. That puts him in a different category from former Mavs like the Lucious Harris' and George McClouds of the world. I will not criticize former Mavs for no reason, but I have no qualms about throwing churlish slings and arrows at derelict and mercenary traitors... >>

That's a little harsh. I think Wang was trying to become the best basketball player he could be by staying over here for the summer but his leaders didn't agree. Over in China, he had little freedom. After getting over here and seeing the difference, it was like going from no sex to sex and being asked to go back. It was like, &quot;right. I'll go back, KICKING AND SCREAMING.&quot; I don't blame Wang for his actions but, like most actions, there are consequences.

realclipsfan
12-25-2002, 06:01 AM
That, I agree with!

Evilmav2
01-03-2003, 01:54 PM
Well, WangWang had another chance to show the Mavs just what kind of a player they let go this Summer. Another Mavs-Clippers game facilitates another look at the poor abilities of Wang...

MavKikiNYC
01-03-2003, 05:37 PM
Reviewing the box score, WZZ's 6 pts/3 rebs in 9 minutes projects to 32 pts, 16 rebs on a 48-minute basis.

Compare that to:

LaF's 12/16 and

Mantis's 13/5*

and WZZ's performance can only be termed 'dominant**' . Clearly, the Mavericks' post uncertainties would be significantly mitigated had they retained the potentially impressive services of The Big Producer.

(*The box score indicates that Mantis fouled out after 25 minutes, so the 48-minute projection has to be adjusted to his actual production.)

(**On a 48-minute-projection basis.)

LRB
01-03-2003, 05:59 PM
<< Reviewing the box score, WZZ's 6 pts/3 rebs in 9 minutes projects to 32 pts, 16 rebs on a 48-minute basis.

Compare that to:

LaF's 12/16 and

Mantis's 13/5*

and WZZ's performance can only be termed 'dominant**' . Clearly, the Mavericks' post uncertainties would be significantly mitigated had they retained the potentially impressive services of The Big Producer.

(*The box score indicates that Mantis fouled out after 25 minutes, so the 48-minute projection has to be adjusted to his actual production.)

(**On a 48-minute-projection basis.) >>

You can clearly see how Wang's &quot;dominant&quot; play has turned the clippers into a playoff bound powerhouse in fantasy 48-minute leagues. To bad his lazy ass is so out of condition that he can't even spell defense in chinese well enough to get more than 9 minutes of playing time in a game where his team's front line was being shut down by the opposition. Maybe some day he'll decide to develop a work ethic and get in shape and develop a full game where he can get on the court more that 1 out of every 5 minutes.

MavKikiNYC
01-03-2003, 06:37 PM
Wang is single-handedly keeping the Clippers within sight of a playoff berth. His solid play in relief of Olowakandi can't be underestimated. In fact, he may be replacing Kandi in the starting lineup soon.

Quiet dominance.

Evilmav2
01-04-2003, 02:15 AM
Whoops, I was going to say something about Wang's big night in Dallas but I farted instead. Maybe I'll remember what I was going to say a little later...

LRB
01-04-2003, 04:59 AM
<< Whoops, I was going to say something about Wang's big night in Dallas but I farted instead. Maybe I'll remember what I was going to say a little later... >>

Evil was it a quiet dominant fart?

MavKikiNYC
01-04-2003, 08:31 AM
<< Whoops, I was going to say something about Wang's big night in Dallas but I farted instead. Maybe I'll remember what I was going to say a little later... >>

That raises a very interesting evolutionary question.

Dooby
01-06-2003, 11:23 AM
<< That's a little harsh. I think Wang was trying to become the best basketball player he could be by staying over here for the summer but his leaders didn't agree. Over in China, he had little freedom. After getting over here and seeing the difference, it was like going from no sex to sex and being asked to go back. It was like, &quot;right. I'll go back, KICKING AND SCREAMING.&quot; I don't blame Wang for his actions but, like most actions, there are consequences. >>

When the book is written on Wang (figuratively, of course), it will show that Wang did not want to go back to China because he knew China would not let him return without agreeing to the same terms as Yao. Wang, rightfully so, did not want to give 50% of his salary to uncle Mao (or Peng or whatever cadre is running things now).

As far as I am concerned, it had everything to do with money, and very little to do with freedom or improving himself as a basketball player.

Usually Lurkin
01-09-2003, 08:22 AM
once again, Wang's line reveals an absolute mastery of the zero. he did have one missed field goal and a turnover in his 4 minutes against the Grizz.

W ZHI-ZHI 4 0-1 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0

MavKikiNYC
01-09-2003, 08:34 AM
Your attempts to ridicule Wang will all be for naught. ;-)

His effect on the game cannot be captured in a mere box score.

LRB
01-09-2003, 12:17 PM
<< once again, Wang's line reveals an absolute mastery of the zero. he did have one missed field goal and a turnover in his 4 minutes against the Grizz.

W ZHI-ZHI 4 0-1 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 >>

So what does that make his 48 minutes stats for turnovers? 12 per game. Gee just a little more than as the Mavs as a team. Maybe the loss of Wang is why we are on pace to break the all time record for fewest turnovers by a team in a season. The good news is we get to play against Wang and his team 2 more times. With his turnovers, we can receive a hefty bonus for letting him go. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Usually Lurkin
01-09-2003, 02:45 PM
I think it's more important to focus on his incredible efficiency.
Remember, he only missed one field goal for the entire 48 minutes of the game, he also committed only one turnover during the course of the game, and committed no fouls.

LRB
01-09-2003, 02:58 PM
<< I think it's more important to focus on his incredible efficiency.
Remember, he only missed one field goal for the entire 48 minutes of the game, he also committed only one turnover during the course of the game, and committed no fouls. >>

No his 48 minute stats would be 0-12 with 12 missed field goals. He would have had 12 turnovers not 1. Yes he wouldn't have any fouls, which isn't hard to believe when a player doesn't participate on defense. If that's efficient, Bill Clinton is a virgin.

MavKikiNYC
01-09-2003, 03:07 PM
When you consider that wang plays alongside one of the best offensive rebounders in the league in Elton Brand, it becomes clearer that those 12 misses are more akin to 'assists' than 'missed FGs', and are all just part of his ever-burgeoning abilities as a playmaker.

Quiet dominance.

Usually Lurkin
01-09-2003, 04:44 PM
I think in some cases, it's better to stick with the absolute 48 minute totals, giving Wang a total of 1 missed shot for the total 48 minutes of gametime.

Other times, it's better to go with the relative per48minute stat. So 12 assists for Wang in a projected 48 minutes of playing time (per Mavskiki's brilliant argument)

Wangs adjusted stat line (so far):
48 minutes (42 imaginary)
0 points
0-1 FG
12 assists
0 fouls
1 to

<< If that's efficient, Bill Clinton is a virgin. >>

that, of course, depends on what the definition of is is.

LRB
01-09-2003, 04:48 PM
Usually Lurkin: That's a good one. The human black hole getting 12 assists in a game. I don't know if I've see Wang pass the ball 12 times in a game. Unless you're counting assists to the other team.i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

LRB
01-12-2003, 04:28 PM
Where's Wang? The Mavs could really use him now. To play for the other team that is.i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

MFFL
01-12-2003, 05:53 PM
Aw rats - Wang got another &quot;DNP - COACH'S DECISION&quot;. The coach there must be terrible.

MavKikiNYC
01-12-2003, 05:54 PM
He is, and he's about to get canned.

Chiwas
01-12-2003, 06:00 PM
Do Chinese eat dog meat?

LRB
01-12-2003, 06:01 PM
Well, Wang didn't get to contribute to the Mavs cause this game. But he did log another game with no fouls and no turnovers and no defensive lapses. And another DNP. Woo Hoo what a dominant player.

Gentry didn't even put him in when they needed 3's. Rooks got the call instead. Guess Gentry really wants to keep his job.

Usually Lurkin
01-13-2003, 07:50 AM
<< He is, and he's about to get canned. >>

Let's just pray the Lakers aren't able to pick him up in time to pay us in the 1st round of the playoffs.

MFFL
01-13-2003, 10:31 AM
I think the posted meant Gentry.

Usually Lurkin
01-13-2003, 11:23 AM
well, if a new coach decides to implement Wang the way he's supposed to be played, then we've still got serious worries coming out of LA.

Chiwas
01-13-2003, 11:31 AM
A serious question:

Why canīt Wang play? Not with Mavs, neither with Clippers. Why? Whatīs wrong with him?

I donīt think Cuban nor Donnie were deceived when they looked eagerly for his contract. He had to be the best in China in those days.

MavKikiNYC
01-13-2003, 11:44 AM
Wang needs some minutes. Lots of minutes. I still believe that he has talent.

He would have done better signing with a team that didn't have any playoff pretentions, so thay he could've gotten oncourt, realtime, real-game experience, without the additional pressure of always having to worry about record and standings.

Instead he went to a Clipper team in turmoil, with a coach who needed a playoff berth to keep his job. I have some doubts too about the extent to which Gentry was actually onboard with Wang's signing.

Gentry is toast now. Kandi will be gone next year. Perhaps Wang will have served his NBA probation, and will be able to take advantage of an opportunity to develop.

Sadly, sadly, he might've gotten such an opportunity with the Mavs this year, if he'd been able to stay. But given the information he had at the time, he made the best choice available to him.

Usually Lurkin
01-21-2003, 07:38 AM
In honor of Wang's 162nd minute of pt this year, I'd like everyone to take notice of the kind of assists per 48 minutes stats that this phenom is capable of putting up.

Against the Lakers:
W ZHI-ZHI 1 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0

Usually Lurkin
01-23-2003, 07:11 AM
but again, with decent minutes, Wang puts up decent numbers.
Last night against the Jazz:

26 min
12 pts
7 rbs
2 blks
1 stl

Murphy3
01-23-2003, 10:58 AM
that might be the best game of his career.
and guess what, it's just one game

Usually Lurkin
01-23-2003, 02:01 PM
actually, in the three games in which Wang has gotten more than 15 minutes on the floor,
he's gotten

min rbs blks pts
17... 3... 1... 16...
19... 7... 1... 9...
26... 9... 2... 12...

which really isn't that bad

Dooby
01-23-2003, 02:57 PM
As easily explained by Wang earning those minutes because of his play in a given game as anything else. You can't draw a direct correlation between Wang's minutes and his production.

Usually Lurkin
01-23-2003, 03:12 PM
<< You can't draw a direct correlation between Wang's minutes and his production. >>

well, technically of course, Dooby, we both just did. Can't draw a causal conclusion, though.

Point wasn't that the more minutes he gets the better he is. I was just informing Murph that the game against the jazz isn't necessarily Wang's best this year, and it's at least one of 3 where he's played as well.

MFFL
02-14-2003, 10:16 PM
Wang went on IR today. What a sad decision to choose to sign with the Clips.

LRB
02-15-2003, 10:17 AM
Wang might have had a good future here if he would have committed to it. Instead of getting a few minutes a game for the team with the best record in the league, he can't get on the court for one of the wost teams in the league.

MavKikiNYC
02-15-2003, 06:03 PM
I don't think Wang would've seen the court this year either with the way Nellie is playing big men.

Bayliss
02-15-2003, 11:04 PM
Wang did not need to see the court here, unless Nellie used him as the &quot;human victory cigar.&quot;

Wang makes NVE look like an All-World defender. And to top it off, he cannot create his own shot, he cannot pass that well, and cannot take it inside.

So tell me what use do we have for a 7footer that can't rebound, can't play defense, can't play inside, and is soft? We already have one of those players: Raef. We don't need two.

MavKikiNYC
02-16-2003, 09:49 AM
<< So tell me what use do we have for a 7footer that can't rebound, can't play defense, can't play inside, and is soft? We already have one of those players: Raef. We don't need two. >>

Not to belabor the point or be unduly provocative, but we may actually already have TWO players such as you describe.

madape
02-16-2003, 11:14 AM
I don't know. Dirk isn't THAT bad of a rebounder.

DTL
02-27-2003, 03:20 PM
time for an update. link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=lacdooling&amp;prov=st&amp;type=lgns)

wang was activated from IL. kenyon dooling went to the IL. clippers must be desperate for some muscle and rebounding in the front court. heard that brand's got some minor bruise injury.

madape
02-27-2003, 03:58 PM
Don't call it a comeback!

Usually Lurkin
03-20-2003, 09:01 AM
to be fair, Ames posted the great news first, but I wanted to put it in this thread, too.

Against the Nuggets last night, Wang shows what he can do with a few minutes:
High score for his team (21) tied for second in rbs (6) in a huge win over the Nuggets with bragging rights at stake for not being the worst team in the west.

PLAYER POS MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OFF REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
W ZHI-ZHI 25 9-12 2-2 1-1 2 6 1 0 0 3 3 21

oops. misspelled 'Ames' i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Frank_Wang
03-21-2003, 02:26 AM
It is obvious that Wang Zhizhi deserve the salary L.A clippers gave him.
Now I will expect Wang Zhizhi break the old record:7 rebounds and 2 blocks...

Lvubun1
03-21-2003, 09:08 PM
MVP MVP MVP

Usually Lurkin
03-25-2003, 07:30 AM
finally given a bit of time to play over the last three games, Wang has averaged
26 minutes, 14 points, and 6 rebounds.

scooterj5
03-26-2003, 04:17 AM
&quot;This is the thread that never ends..&quot;

Evilmav2
06-26-2003, 02:24 PM
Ahhhh... I miss the days of the good Wang-chung fights... Outlet was asking for some Wang, so I thought I might dig up some Wang comedy from the archives. This article was published in Time-Asia back in the halcyon days of Wang's triumphant season in Dallas...

Asian Heroes: Wang Zhi-Zhi

Dreaming Big, Standing Tall
http://a740.g.akamai.net/f/740/606/1d/image.pathfinder.com/time/asia/features/heroes/images/wang.jpg
China's No. 1 hoopster WANG ZHIZHI is living large in the NBA—and staying true to his roots

By HANNAH BEECH &lt;mailto:mail@web.timeasia.com&gt;

At 2.16 m, Wang Zhizhi is used to people looking up to him. But that doesn't mean he likes it. China's first export to the hallowed NBA is, after all, a rather shy man. Yes, millions of Chinese fans follow Big Zhi's every move with the play-off-bound Dallas Mavericks, where his on-court prowess burnishes China's dreams of distinguishing itself on the international sporting stage. He was even named China's most popular athlete in a nationwide poll earlier this year. But the 24-year-old center is a tad uncomfortable with all the adulation. When he returns to China this summer to play for the national team, he doesn't want any of his teammates asking him about his NBA exploits. "We're all playing for the same team," he says. "There's no reason that one of us should stick out any more than the others."

Recruited to the People's Liberation Army's basketball team as a young teenager, Wang has always been the obedient soldier. Even though he quickly grew into one of China's marquee players, Wang earned less money than a middling basketballer in Europe. He lived in a tiny dorm room, adhered to a rigid curfew and ate what his elders told him to: rice, rice and more rice. Most importantly, he quietly watched as his dream to play in America was deferred soon after the 1999 NBA draft when the Army team felt the Americans didn't kowtow low enough for them to release their prized player. Even after he finally headed West last year, the indignations didn't stop. As late as this March, Wang knew that his Chinese team, struggling in its own Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) play-offs, could recall its AWOL soldier at any time—masking the return as a "matter of national security." "He is a grown man and one of China's greatest stars," says one basketball insider who has followed Wang's progress for years. "But he still has no control over his own destiny."

It is precisely that lack of control and Wang's quiet ability to rise above it that endears the star athlete to his legions of fans. After all, millions of Chinese also have little choice over many life decisions, and they admire Wang's ability to overcome adversity through stoic resolve. After Wang was negged from NBA play in his first attempt three years ago, he was so depressed that he lost his customary position as the CBA's MVP. But by the end of the season, he had rebounded and helped his team capture a sixth-consecutive league title by scoring 40 points in the 2001 final. That impressive performance helped convince the Mavs that Wang was truly worth a fight. Writes a Beijing native named Zhao Xian on a Wang website: "Young people in China don't have many heroes, but Big Zhi is someone we can identify with and believe in. He works hard and is a real-life role model."

Finally, after years of soldierly restraint, Lieut. Wang of the People's Liberation Army is even finding a little time to let loose. Sure, the NBA has regulations, too, but they're the kind of protean rules that bend to the oversized egos of players like Dennis Rodman or Allen Iverson. So Wang has been living it up in Dallas—in his own way, of course. He eats what he wants: sometimes three T-bones at one sitting ("not a single grain of rice," he announces, fork in hand). He goes where he wants when visiting the U.S. capital: the White House, the Pentagon—and of course Chinatown (hold the Smithsonian museums, he says, which would feel too much like a school field trip). He lives in his own apartment and happily tells visitors stepping past piles of laundry that, yeah, his place is a little messy ("there's no one here to tell me not to throw a shirt where I want.") Says an Asian basketball executive who recently visited him in Dallas: "For the first time, I've seen Wang truly happy. He's transformed from a basketball soldier to a real person."

The pressure will be on Wang again when he returns to China to play for the national team in the summer. Despite high hopes, the country's squad has not lived up to its hype. Chinese basketball officials are hoping that Wang, with his NBA-honed skills, will help buoy the team. Yet the same sports cadres also want to modulate Wang's popularity back home. Although they badly need to learn from Chinese players' NBA experience—another Chinese hailing from Inner Mongolia, Menk Batere, now plays with the Denver Nuggets—sports bureaucrats back home are also concerned that too much good press will cause fans to abandon their home league for the jazzier NBA. Plus, they worry that, if given the chance, all of China's top talent will flee for the NBA, leaving their league with the dregs of basketball. Case in point: Wang's team lost its customary supremacy over the CBA after he left for the States. Meanwhile, Batere's team, the Beijing Ducks, has seen its attendance figures plummet since the center's departure in March.

Perhaps it's no surprise, then, that Chinese sportswriters have been told to tone down their pro-Wang coverage, lest the CBA lose out. When Wang wrapped up a late March game with an eminently respectable career-high of 18 points, the Chinese press grumbled that he hadn't played many minutes at all and that his defensive skills were lacking. And Wang, true to his unassuming nature, says: "There is so much about my game that I must improve, so it's hard to talk about the few places where I've done O.K." But the fans, of course, aren't fooled by either the Chinese media's blackballing or Wang's own modesty. After all, this is the man who was honored with "Wang Zhizhi Day" in San Francisco. He's had a signature T-bone named after him at a popular Dallas steak house. He's even been depicted on a postage stamp in the tiny African nation of Liberia. "Sometimes people stick out, even though they don't want to," says the big man himself. Especially when they're 2.16 m tall.

OutletPass
06-26-2003, 02:50 PM
Thanks for bringing back "The Good Old Days"....

Props. Props. and more Props.

Mandyahl
06-26-2003, 05:48 PM
this is highly amusing. i am sad i missed it.

Evilmav2
10-15-2003, 05:51 AM
This picture from last night's game deserves a home on the Wang thread...

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20031015/capt.las10110150417.mavericks_clippers_las101.jpg
Wang Attack!

Usually Lurkin
10-15-2003, 06:27 AM
Wang was practically omnipresent in the stifling Clippers defense. Here, his great gaping maw sucks the strength from a Nowitski layup

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20031015/capt.las10210150421.mavericks_clippers_las102.jpg

MavKikiNYC
10-15-2003, 08:20 AM
Wang was having a flashback from his Dallas Mavs days, playing defense just like Nellie taught him, out pressuring the perimeter from the Defensive Point Center position.

Usually Lurkin
10-15-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Defensive Point Center

It's worth a post just to say i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Big Don should really think about MavKikiNYC as a replacement if and when retirement ever becomes a remote possibility.

Usually Lurkin
04-16-2004, 12:41 PM
With the excitement of the playoffs, and the Heat performing so well, everyone is wondering about Wang Zhi Zhi (come on, admit it.)

He's his old, incredible self - shooting an amazing 60% FG% for the month leading into the playoffs.
On the down-side, he had a per48 rebounding average of 0.

Date ........Opp ....Score GS Min .. M A Pct ..M A Pct M A Pct Off Def Tot Ast TO Stl Blk PF Pts
Apr 14 ....NJN W 96-84 ......0 6 .. 2 3 66.7 ...0 0 0.0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 4
Apr 12 @ BOS W 84-77 .....0 0 .. 0 0 0.0 .....0 0 0.0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Mar 29 ....CHI W 105-96 ...0 0 .. 0 0 0.0 ..... 0 0 0.0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Mar 28 @ IND L 80-87 .......0 0 .. 0 0 0.0 .....0 0 0.0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Mar 26 ....DAL W 119-118 .0 0 .. 0 0 0.0 .....0 0 0.0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Mar 24 @ ORL W 105-90 ...0 0 .. 0 0 0.0 .....0 0 0.0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Mar 21 @ WAS W 101-81 ..0 4 .. 0 1 0.0 .....0 1 0.0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0
Mar 20 ....PHI W 101-69 ....0 2 .. 1 1 100.0 . 0 0 0.0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 2
Mar 16 ....NOR W 96-83 .....0 0 .. 0 0 0.0 .....0 0 0.0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Mar 14 ....NJN W 104-95.... 0 0 .. 0 0 0.0 .....0 0 0.0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

bernardos70
04-16-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by: Usually Lurkin
He's his old, incredible self - shooting an amazing 60% FG% for the month leading into the playoffs.
On the down-side, he had a per48 rebounding average of 0.

i/expressions/moon.gifC'mon, you know those per48 minute numbers mean nothing, they're highly inflated, give me his real stats, not this per 48 minute crap! i/expressions/moon.gif

MavKikiNYC
04-17-2004, 08:26 AM
Wang just sayin' "C.T.C, baby. C.T.C"

madape
04-02-2006, 10:28 PM
haha... the mention of Wang in the free agent thread made me remember this all time Dallas-Mavs.com classic.

Evilmav2
04-03-2006, 01:24 AM
I wonder if the Mavs called Wang-Wang sometime over the last few weeks. Perhaps the pride of that old 3-point shooting specialist kept him from returning to his original NBA port of call...