PDA

View Full Version : Olowokandi ties career high with 20 rebounds

David
11-03-2002, 10:37 PM
Olowokandi ties career high with 20 rebounds

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The Clippers escaped the ranks of winless NBA teams.

Michael Olowokandi had 19 points and tied a career-high with 20 rebounds to lead Los Angeles over the Detroit Pistons 74-72 Sunday.

"Finally something went right,'' said Elton Brand, who had 17 points and 13 rebounds. "Something to smile about.''

The Clippers began rallying in the third quarter, when Brand and Corey Maggette were off the floor. Rookie Marko Jaric and 7-foot-1 Chinese center Wang Zhizhi contributed in their places.

Wang got his first extended playing time of the season, scoring five points in 10 minutes of the second half. Jaric had three points and four rebounds in 24 minutes.

"Wang came in and gave us a huge lift,'' Clippers coach Alvin Gentry said. "You can see that he can change the game. I thought he made a couple of real nice plays.''

Richard Hamilton led Detroit with 25 points. Clifford Robinson added 13 points, but missed a 3-pointer at the buzzer that would have won the game. Ben Wallace had 16 rebounds.

Detroit won all eight of its preseason games and its first two of the regular season.

"It hurts,'' guard Jon Barry said. "Preseason doesn't mean a lot, but it was still nice.''

Detroit didn't give up the lead until three-tenths of a second remained in the third quarter, when Keyon Dooling hit a 3-pointer to send Los Angeles into the fourth ahead 58-55.

But the Pistons quickly tied it on a 3-pointer by Barry to start the quarter.

Neither team led by more than four points in the final period.

After Corliss Williamson gave Detroit a 70-66 lead, the Clippers outscored the Pistons 8-2 to close out the game.

"It feels good to be a part of this win,'' Olowokandi said. "As a team we played well and the second unit came in and played well. Wang played some huge minutes.''

Brand fell onto the scorer's table, got up, ran down the court and scored to tie the game at 70 with 3:57 remaining.

Olowokandi hit one of two free throws, then Maggette scored off a turnover by Robinson for a 73-72 lead. Brand made one of two free throws for a 74-72 lead.

"If we continue to turn the ball over, it's not going to help us,'' Robinson said. "We got to make passes before we get in jams. We moved the ball. We just didn't make good decisions when it came to taking shots.''

Andre Miller, who had 10 points and nine assists, missed two free throws with 59 seconds left, but the Pistons couldn't take advantage. Barry missed and Williamson had his shot blocked in the final minute.

"We had it under control,'' Detroit coach Rick Carlisle said. "We became undisciplined and took too many shots.''

The Clippers erased that deficit with a 20-3 run in the third. Olowokandi had eight points, Wang hit a 6-foot turnaround jumper that tied it and Dooling's 3-pointer created Los Angeles' first lead.

ÜberDirk
11-03-2002, 11:06 PM
yea, 1-5 in fg's. im done

Fidel
11-04-2002, 02:21 AM
<< &quot;Wang came in and gave us a huge lift,'' Clippers coach Alvin Gentry said. &quot;You can see that he can change the game. I thought he made a couple of real nice plays.'' >>

This is just blowing smoke, if you´d seen the game you would know that David. Wang was confused most of the time on offense. He had two nice plays in his 10 or so minutes, a basket after posting up and going to the line after penetrating. He didn´t do anything good on the defensive end. Wang was pulled from the game after Detroid had worked something like a four point lead in the 4th. Maybe he´ll come around for them (I doubt it), but in this game he did nothing.

MavsRich
11-04-2002, 06:20 AM
You didn't watch the game obviously, Fidel. I agree with that quote, when Wang was in the game is when the Clippers made their run from being down by double digits.

David
11-04-2002, 06:23 AM
Alvin Gentry sees Wang everyday in practice. He apparently like's what Wang brings to the table. Maybe that's why Gentry is being optimistic. Do you expect Gentry to come out and say, &quot;Wang sucks, I don't know why we signed him, some people in Dallas dislike him, we need to cut him.&quot;?

Chiwas
11-04-2002, 07:33 AM
Any maverick can make a couple of nice plays in one minute and five points in two minutes, if we have to say something nice about him.

Fidel
11-04-2002, 04:44 PM
<< You didn't watch the game obviously, Fidel. I agree with that quote, when Wang was in the game is when the Clippers made their run from being down by double digits. >>

Yeah and when he left the game the Clips were down again by 4. Wang was abused on D a couple times, he had 2 or 3 nice plays on offense (but also stood in the way at least two times). All in all nothing special. You can see that by simply looking at the boxscore. How is someone who shoots 1-5 with 2 rbs no assists and one to providing a huge lift (given that he can´t really contribute on D)?

OutletPass
11-04-2002, 07:58 PM
I saw it and didn't see anything new...he was around the basket a bit more...that's all. He was a favorite of mine and I hope that he does well. Maybe he'll realize his potential with PT and summer work.

He's very hard to dislike. And I'm sure that no matter how he plays, gentry isn't going to say he sucks and disown him.

Good stuff David.

FilthyFinMavs
11-05-2002, 06:28 PM
I just don't see how Wang can get pass guys like Odom, Kandi, Miller, Qrich, Jaric, Maggette, and Brand. Clippers have a nice core of guys and in 3 years or less they are gonna be scary though it all comes down to this off season. Though I don't see Wang apart of that Scary team.