PDA

View Full Version : Kings at Magic

Fidel
11-05-2002, 08:45 PM
Iīm just watching this game (I think itīs tape delayed). Pretty fun game. Orlando is up 68 - 63 at the half. Itīs the first time in years that I see Grant Hill play. He looks quite good. Finished a fastbreak with a nice dunk (but I think alot of people held their breath on that one). If Hill stays healthy the Magic look really good. T-Mac plays out of his mind right now, Mike Miller is a great scoring threat, Armstrong is solid and even Kemp contributed in the first half.

Fidel
11-05-2002, 09:01 PM
Armstrong is so intense, all hustle. Heīs a little energizer bunny.

Keon Klark. The guy has no offensive game at all. Really funny.

Nice game. The Kings scored 30 pts in the last 7.30 mins of the game, but the Magic still won 125 - 121.

Is T-Mac the best player in the nba right now, or what? He had 41 tonight on 15 of 27 shooting, while being matched up with Christie most of the time. Also had 8 rbs and 7 ast (and one huge to at the end of the game, Sac couldnīt capitalize though). He can get a shot anytime he wants, and he makes it look so easy. Heīs not even forcing it. Alot of his shots come from the flow of the game.

On another note: Jeb Bush is probably winning the election in Florida (they had updates throughout the game).

ÜberDirk
11-05-2002, 09:44 PM
actually fidel, he is amazing, but CAN'T get a shot whenever he wants. He himself admitted KG shut him down and he couldn't get ANY shots he wanted with kg on him.

that aside, I'd say he might be. Though if dirk got 27 shots......

Fidel
11-05-2002, 09:55 PM
I didnīt see him play against KG, so I canīt comment on that. But I think Christie is a pretty good defensive player too. Well he didnīt came close to containing McGrady tonight and in fact fouled out sometime in the 4th. When Shaq comes back healthy he might still be the most dominant player, but T-Mac is really really good.

And I agree, Iīd love to see Dirk get 25 or 24 shots, not every game but now and then. Right now he gets 17 shots a game which is simply not enough. I just donīt get it why the Mavs insist on giving Finley more shots (heīs nearly averaging 20 now). Maybe we need to wait a little longer to see if thatīs a trend once again. Would be awfully stupid.

FilthyFinMavs
11-05-2002, 10:06 PM
One thing I hate is WHEN a Mavs fan wants Dirk to get more shots a game then Finley. I don't think you understand that Finley is a 2 guard and Dirk is a 4 or 3. The 2 guard is gonna get the most attempts guys just like AI does in Philly. I don't think the problem is Finley if you have a problem with Dirk not getting enough shots well maybe if Nash turned his down some Dirk could get more attempts. I really could careless how many anyone got on this squad long as we continue to win and show some defense. We are not the Magic or the 6ers we have 4 guys who can score at will on this team and Mavs fans are going to have to realize it isn't easy trying to make 4 all stars happy and get everyone touches. I give the Mavs staff there props for that.

Fidel
11-05-2002, 10:43 PM
<< One thing I hate is WHEN a Mavs fan wants Dirk to get more shots a game then Finley. I don't think you understand that Finley is a 2 guard and Dirk is a 4 or 3. The 2 guard is gonna get the most attempts guys just like AI does in Philly. >>

Lets see, who got the most shots for Minnesota last year? What Garnett? But heīs a 3 or 4. So why not Wally or Billups? What about San Antonio? Well Duncan had twice as many shots as anyone else on the roster. Utah? You probably guessed it. Karl Malone had the most. So why is that, do you ask, when they are all forwards and the 2 guard is supposed to get most of the shots? Itīs simple: because Duncan, Garnett and Malone are the best players of their teams. Dirk clearly is the best player on the Mavs, then Nash and THEN Finley. And Finley is not as close as you might think.

Simple: while I like Finley, the offense should run through the best offensive player, Dirk. That means he needs touches and shots. Dirk had the best point per shot average of the Mavs last year with 1.41 (which means he was the most effective scorer), Nash was second with 1.35, Finley, well he was 11th on the Mavs with 1.16. Thatīs the reason why Dirk should get the most shots on this team, probably around 20, and Finley should take a few shots less, around 16 maybe. Iīm happy with the Mavs winning too, but to win really big theyīd need to do some adjustments IMO, one would be to utilize Dirk better. Not only is he the most efficent scorer, but heīd also draw double teams and create opportunitys for others.

MFFL
11-05-2002, 11:01 PM
So Kobe is the best player on the Lakers? He shot 20 times a game for the Lakers while Shaq only averaged a little over 18.

BTW only 5 players averaged 20 shots or more last season.

Iverson 27.8 /38.1%
O'Neal 18.3 /57.9%
Pierce 19.5 /44.2%
McGrady 20.9 /45.1%
Duncan 18.3 /50.8%
Bryant 20.0 /46.9%
Carter 21.8 /42.8%
Nowitzki 16.6 /47.7%
Malone 17.5 /45.4%
Walker 20.9 /39.4%
Payton 19.2 /46.7%
Allen 16.6 /46.2%
Mobley 18.4 /43.8%
Stackhouse 17.4 /39.7%
Abdur-Rahim 16.8 /46.1%
Stojakovic 15.9 /48.4%
Garnett 17.3 /47.0%
Finley 17.8 /46.3%

Fidel
11-05-2002, 11:21 PM
<< So Kobe is the best player on the Lakers? He shot 20 times a game for the Lakers while Shaq only averaged a little over 18. >>

Shaq played two minutes less. He took a shot every 1,97 mins. Kobe took a shot every 1.92 mins. Thatīs not a high margin. The stat is a little flawed though couse Shaq doesnīt get the ball that often at the end of games. Itīs nearly the same with Dirk and Fin. Dirk got a shot every 2.29 mins, Fin every 2.24 mins. Also pretty close. I just think that it shouldnīt be that close in this case and that Dirk should be getting more shots, not the other way around. And you canīt really compare it to LA cause Shaq and Kobe are a little closer talent wise than Dirk and Fin. Just my opinion.

Hoopsmeister
11-06-2002, 01:34 AM
<< One thing I hate is WHEN a Mavs fan wants Dirk to get more shots a game then Finley. I don't think you understand that Finley is a 2 guard and Dirk is a 4 or 3. The 2 guard is gonna get the most attempts guys just like AI does in Philly. >>

That is one of the most ignorant statements ever made on this board. Finley should get more shots because he's a 2 guard?!?! So if Finley were to reinjure his hamstring and Griffin took his place as our starting 2 should he get more shots than Dirk? After all, he's a 2 guard too. Simple logic says you want your most efficient scorer to take the most shots. And Finley is the least efficient scorer of the Big 3.

As far as Kobe and Shaq go, you have to factor in that Shaq can't make free throws. That means that down the stretch, Kobe is the better SCORER and therefore the Lakers want him taking more shots in tight situations than Shaq.

David
11-06-2002, 05:46 AM
I'm not saying who should get the most shots, but, traditionally, the guard position is the primary ballhandling position. The guards, in general, will have the ball pass through their hands, first, before the forwards and centers. Of course the Mavs are a non-traditional team.

FilthyFinMavs
11-06-2002, 07:11 PM
Now wait a minute I never said I thought Fin should get more shots I just said that he is a 2 guard and most of the times the shooting guard SHOOTS the ball more then any other position. Don't even bring up that Garnett comparison because we saw what happens when your the offense revolves around 1 guy and we sweap them. What do you mean Shaq and Kobe are more closer then Dirk and Finley? Are you insane? Shaq is dominant no one in the league can hold him. Sure Dirk is probaly the better player out of the 2 being he is 7 foot tall and plays like a small foward against power fowards. Untiil Mavs start losing to contenders I will start worrying but till then let the offense flow like it has been regardless to who gets the most shots.

Fidel
11-06-2002, 08:54 PM
You said

<< The 2 guard is gonna get the most attempts guys just like AI does in Philly. >>

<< Now wait a minute I never said I thought Fin should get more shots I just said that he is a 2 guard and most of the times the shooting guard SHOOTS the ball more then any other position. >>

I gave you some examples where the two guard doesnīt get the most attempts, simple.

<< Don't even bring up that Garnett comparison because we saw what happens when your the offense revolves around 1 guy and we sweap them. >>

Same like we always sweep the Spurs eh? And the Wolves argument isnīt bad either cause the gap between Garnett and Wally isnīt that much bigger then the gap between Dirk and Finley (I know you might think differnt about that, but itīs a fact, at least as far as stats go). Yet Garnett gets alot more shots (3) than Wally and he isnīt even the scorer that Dirk is.

<< Untiil Mavs start losing to contenders I will start worrying but till then let the offense flow like it has been regardless to who gets the most shots.
>>

Usually it a bad strategy to wait for bad things to happen before action is taken. The offense should run through Dirk, and right now, not after weīve been kicked out of round two again. There is no good argument against it. And well, I really donīt care for regular season success, never did, all that matters to me is the championship.