PDA

View Full Version : Lowe quits on Memphis

LonestarROB
11-12-2002, 01:26 PM
Tuesday, November 12

Report: Lowe resigns as coach of 0-8 Grizzlies

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Grizzlies head coach Sidney Lowe resigned Tuesday morning as a result of the team's 0-8 start, the Memphis Commercial Appeal has reported.

"There are several reasons," Lowe told the newspaper via telephone. "I just felt it was best for the franchise and for me that I move on. It was just too much."

Jerry West, the Grizzlies' president of basketball operations, accepted the decision after the team tied a franchise record for consecutive losses to start a season.

The Grizzlies also started 0-8 last season.

According to the Commercial Appeal, Lowe's successor is supposed to be named at a news conference later in the day.

"It was tough," Lowe told the newspaper. "I like Jerry a lot. He's someone I'll keep in touch with. I don't have any ill feelings and I hope they don't have any towards me."

Poor performances in back-to-back losses to Denver and Golden State likely facilitated Lowe's departure. The Grizzlies fell behind by 25 points to the Warriors before losing 108-101 Monday night in Memphis.

Lowe was in his third season as Grizzlies coach. He led the team to a franchise-record 23 wins in each of his first two seasons.

ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/1112/1459770.html)

MavKikiNYC
11-12-2002, 01:59 PM
Dunleavy in.

Blonde Bomber
11-12-2002, 04:06 PM
Looks like West politely told him to move on

MavsFanFinley
11-12-2002, 04:09 PM
Hubie Brown returns to the bench

Grizzlies coach Lowe resigns
AP Photo

More Photos

By WOODY BAIRD, Associated Press Writer
November 12, 2002

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- Sidney Lowe resigned as coach of the Memphis Grizzlies on Tuesday and was replaced by former NBA coach of the year Hubie Brown.

The 69-year-old Brown takes over the only winless team in the league.

Lowe's resignation came the day after the Grizzlies lost their eighth game, playing at home against the Golden State Warriors.

``I wish the team well,'' Lowe said in a statement. ``The Grizzlies have some good, young talent here, and they are going to be good in the future.''

Lowe was in his third season with the Grizzlies, who have never had a winning since the team began playing in 1995. The team moved to Memphis last year from Vancouver.

The Grizzlies had their best records under Lowe, 23-59 in the two previous seasons. Lowe was formerly an assistant coach with the Cleveland Cavaliers and head coach with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

During the off-season, Memphis hired Jerry West, one of the most respected executives in the NBA, as president of basketball operations.

West called Brown ``one of the premier basketball minds in the business.''

``I feel fortunate that we are able to find such an individual in such a short period of time and that he agreed to step in and accept this job,'' West said.

Brown was coach of the Kentucky Colonels from 1974-76, and won the ABA title in 1975. He coached Atlanta from 1976-81, and was the NBA's coach of the year in 1978, and directed the New York Knicks from 1982-87.

West's move to Memphis had Grizzlies fans fired up, and his additions, including first-round draft choice Drew Gooden and Wesley Person, a shooting guard from Cleveland, increased the optimism.

But the Grizzlies were criticized for uninspired play early into the season, particularly on defense.

Lowe was still experimenting with different lineups when he left the team.

Before the Warriors' game, Lowe said he was still expecting the Grizzlies' play to improve.

Prior to the team's Nov. 4 overtime loss to San Antonio, West said he had no intentions of replacing Lowe. The team also started last season 0-8.

When he took over, West praised Lowe for the team's hustle last season, even though it ended up with a losing record.

Lowe's resignation came after poor back-to-back performances in losses to Denver and Golden State.

The Grizzlies scored 73 points against Denver, their worst scoring output since March 3, when they scored 71 against Seattle. Memphis trailed by 25 points in the second half against the Warriors, who won by 108-101.

MavKikiNYC
11-12-2002, 04:57 PM
Hubie Brown?

Blonde Bomber
11-12-2002, 05:03 PM
boy that sure is a short term plan.

He's been retired for years now

I thought he just retired from being retiredi/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

MavKikiNYC
11-12-2002, 06:06 PM
Wonder if this means JVG in a year or so when he's no longer contractually obligated to NYKs...?

Rhylan
11-12-2002, 06:22 PM
Weird, indeed.

Fidel
11-12-2002, 07:25 PM
LOL Hubie Brown ???
I always have to laugh when I see this guy. Hes got such a weird haircut.