PDA

View Full Version : i like it.

superheadcat
11-26-2002, 09:26 PM
from http://www.nba.com/games/20021126/LALMIA/recap.html

Lakers Wither in the Heat

MIAMI, Nov. 26 (Ticker) -- The lift the Los Angeles Lakers got from Shaquille O'Neal's return disappeared on the road.

Eddie Jones scored 18 points and Mike James added eight of his season-high 14 in the fourth quarter as the Miami Heat dominated the sluggish Lakers en route to a 97-85 victory.

O'Neal missed the first 13 games of the season following offseason toe surgery but returned Friday. Los Angeles won the first two games at the Staples Center with its superstar center but could not carry that success into the opener of a three-game road trip.

Working against thin 7-foot center Vladimir Stepania and 6-9 power forward Brian Grant, the 7-2 O'Neal was held to 15 points on 5-of-15 shooting and grabbed eight rebounds in 32 minutes.

The Lakers never led after the first quarter and could not stop the Heat's balanced attack that featured six players in double figures.

Rookie Caron Butler scored 11 of his 13 points in the first half as Miami jumped out to a 50-41 lead. The Heat were clinging to a 62-57 lead before closing the third quarter with a 10-4 run.

Miami's Travis Best, who had 16 points, made two baskets during the spurt. Los Angeles never got closer than nine points in the final period.

Kobe Bryant scored 21 points but suffered a leg injury late in the fourth quarter as the Lakers lost in Miami for the first time since November 1997

Chiwas
11-26-2002, 09:37 PM
Any hint about the Heat success after Shaq?

<< could not stop the Heat's balanced attack >>

Itīs a good general conclussion, but it might be interesting to know the details.

scooterj5
11-26-2002, 10:23 PM
I saw the game and the Lakers were fairly lackluster. Stepania played Shaq extremely well, and a strategy I noticed that we could use is trying to swipe the bounce pass in to Shaq. But even with the tight defence, Shaq still gets really simple, unstoppable scores. There's nothing we can do about those. Also, LA allowed the Heat to take many unconctested 3 point shots, many of which fell. I doubt Jackson would allow that against us though. I don't know why Phil Jackson played Kareem Rush so much at the important parts of the game, especially after a couple of awful turnovers.

I love watching the Lakers lose almost as much as watching the Mavs win, so it was an awesome game to watch.

southern_sweets
11-26-2002, 10:27 PM
I saw the game too. The Lakers just don't look that good even with Shaq IMO. They are definately beatable. They keep proving it.
Wasn't this Miami's first win at home?

Epitome22
11-26-2002, 10:29 PM
Miami has always had a reputation of playing the Lakers well. Hats off to those guys.

Chiwas
11-26-2002, 10:43 PM
<< Miami has always had a reputation of playing the Lakers well. Hats off to those guys. >>

What have you seen or known about their way to confront Lakers in building this reputation, that Mavs don't do or have, Epitome22?

Hoopsmeister
11-26-2002, 11:34 PM
<< Working against thin 7-foot center Vladimir Stepania and 6-9 power forward Brian Grant, the 7-2 O'Neal was held to 15 points on 5-of-15 shooting and grabbed eight rebounds in 32 minutes. >>

Shaq's out of shape and rusty. He had a good quote about himself that right now he's just a competent big man--which isn't good enough for him. Its going to be a while before he's the court terror he normally is.

Epitome22
11-26-2002, 11:36 PM
well for one, and No offense to the Mavs but one thing Miami has always had a reputation for is strong defense. They are also well coached by Pat Riley and he knows how to exploit team weaknesses.