PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Pacers are the best team in the NBA

HoosierDaddyNow
11-29-2002, 12:29 AM
pacers forum (http://www.indystar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=f026c817d374343bb3a9571e9d7ca19 d&forumid=11)

Chiwas
11-29-2002, 12:49 AM
Did you lose with Detroit?i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

And also with New Jersey?i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

mmmmm.....yes, Indiana is the best, sounds logical....i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

OutletPass
11-29-2002, 02:58 AM
I thought the Pacers played great tonight and you get props from me. You've definitely got a lot of talent. I'd love to see O'Neal on the Mavs. BUT......

12-2 is not 14-1.

Have fun with the West.

nowitzki_prophecy
11-29-2002, 04:40 AM
yeah,the pacers played it calm and tough on the boards,but forger the record for a sec(altough 14-1 doesnt quite compare to 12-2 but thats not the point),though they played really good,i dont think theres is a shroud of a doubt that dallas,without the pressure of the streak and not on a a back to back game would have slammed that game with adlist 15 points advantage.

digit
11-29-2002, 05:22 AM
Just compare those articles and its sources...if you don`t put things into the right perspective and don`t consider the circumstances how things went you will definitely come to the wrong conclusion...

Dec., 17th....

indystar (http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/6/004501-9196-036.html)
pacers 110, dallas 98

Mavs no longer perfect

Pacers deny Dallas chance to tie best start in history

By Mark Montieth

mark.montieth@indystar.com

November 29, 2002

The Indiana Pacers had something they wanted to get off their collective chest. And they did so emphatically.

Their 110-98 victory over Dallas on Thursday in their first appearance of the season on national television got the point across that they're capable of defeating anyone in the NBA.

Including the perfect teams.

The Mavericks were on the verge of becoming the third team in NBA history to start a season 15-0. But the Pacers knocked them out with balance, effort and patience while improving their record to 12-2, second-best in the NBA.

"There are only so many statement games throughout the year, and this was one of them," Reggie Miller said.

"Everybody contributed."

The Pacers' box score was littered with season-best efforts. Jermaine O'Neal led with a season-high 28 points, two more than he had in Tuesday's win at Washington, and grabbed 18 rebounds. Ron Artest added 20, including the first 10 of the game for the Pacers. He also grabbed a career-high 11 rebounds and passed out six assists.

"I was going to take advantage of everything they gave me," Artest said of his dramatic start. "I didn't want to hold back. I wanted to do everything I'm capable of doing."

Jamaal Tinsley added 13 points and a season-high 15 assists against just three turnovers while directing the Pacers' offense against Dallas' switching defenses. Al Harrington had 21 off the bench, one short of his season high and Reggie Miller added 10 points.

The Mavericks, the NBA's highest-scoring team entering the game (103.8) shot just 38 percent from the field. Steve Nash darted through the Pacers defense for 29 points, but Dirk Nowitzki, their leading scorer, had just 17 on 4-of-20 shooting.

It was clearly the Pacers' best effort of the season. Just four of their previous 11 wins had come against teams with winning records, and none of those teams are better than 9-7. Although the Mavericks had played the previous night in Detroit, this one ranks as the highlight.

To a man, however, the Pacers said it will count for nothing if they lose to Washington tonight.

"If we go out and fart around, it's going to erase everything we did tonight," Brad Miller said.

The Pacers never trailed by more than two points, and that deficit came late in the second quarter. They led by a double-figure margin most of the game, and turned back every Dallas threat with big plays.

The Mavericks got within eight midway through the third period with a 7-0 run, but Reggie Miller answered with a 3-pointer. The Pacers went on to close the period with a 5-0 run, ending it with a flourish when Harrington penetrated Dallas' defense and fired a lob pass to O'Neal for a dunk.

The Mavericks got within eight with 2:03 left, but O'Neal answered with a 10-foot jumper off of Tinsley's assist.

Tinsley assisted on three consecutive baskets in the final period.

"Jamaal was great tonight, the way he handled the game," Thomas said. "He had his hands full defensively (against Nash), but yet he came back down and hit big shots when he needed them and kept the ball moving."

This was truly a tag-team effort for the Pacers. Artest scored the game's first 10 points. Harrington had 15 in the second quarter, when he solved the Mavericks' zone by getting into the foul lane. And O'Neal scored 13 in the final period, capping off a second consecutive standout game.

He had motivation -- the letter his 3-year-old daughter left for him on the dresser at home before she went to Portland for the Thanksgiving holiday.

"I wanted to win the game, not only for my team and the city but for my family," O'Neal said. "You can barely understand what she's saying because she's only 3. I'll try to get her to write more letters."

And the Pacers will try to make more statements.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call Mark Montieth at 1-317-444-6406.

indystar writer for DMN (http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/basketball/mavs/stories/112902dnspomavsidebar.2a1d7.html)
Pacers make it happen
Mavericks finally lose, but credit Indiana for setting tone, they say

11/29/2002

By SEKOU SMITH / Special Contributor to The Dallas Morning News

INDIANAPOLIS – Anyone looking for long faces after the Mavericks lost their first game of the season went to the wrong place if they ended up in their locker room at Conseco Fieldhouse.

Sure, the Mavericks were disappointed after losing a crowd-pleasing 110-98 loss to the Indiana Pacers on Thursday.

But it is, after all, just one loss.

"It was never about the record," Dirk Nowitzki said after struggling with a 4-for-20 shooting performance. "We're disappointed because we lost the game. It was a great run, and 14-0 was huge. But a winning streak like this doesn't mean anything in November if you don't do it in the playoffs."

Still, 14 straight to start a season doesn't happen every day.

"I've been a part of winning maybe 10 or 12 games in a row throughout my basketball career," Adrian Griffin said, "but I've never been a part of anything like this. To win 14 in a row here is a whole different level; we're talking about the best of the best."

Even when the Mavericks were down by 10 points late, Griffin said he expected someone to jump-start one of those furious offensive explosions the Mavericks have become famous for.

"I was waiting for a 3-pointer to get us going," Griffin said. "I figured that would do it. But it didn't happen, and give Indiana credit, they caught us on one of those nights. They came out attacking us early and set the tone for the entire game."

It was certainly one of those nights for the Mavericks, who shot just 37.7 percent (34-for-90) from the floor while Indiana pounded the ball inside, making 54 percent of its shots and outscoring the Mavericks, 54-38, in the paint.

The Mavericks lost the rebounding battle (54-36) and had to endure a night when Nowitzki and Michael Finley went a combined 11-for-40 from the field.

"[The Pacers] really stretched us in the zone and were able to get a lot of buckets inside," Mavericks guard Steve Nash said. "They got some fast-break buckets in the first half and gave themselves a cushion that we couldn't come back from on a night like tonight.

"We were trying to get it going, but we just couldn't get enough stops together to get it under eight points."

The shooting struggles led to some uncharacteristic complaining by the Mavericks to the officials. It was clear early that the Pacers, led by rugged forward Ron Artest, had every intention of playing a much more physical game than the weary Mavericks.

"To tell you the truth, everybody was exhausted in the fourth quarter," Maverick Eduardo Najera said. "When you're not making shots, you get frustrated and start complaining. It's the first time we've done that this year. But this is also the first time this year we really haven't shot the ball well, and we took it out on the refs.

"Now, we just have to forget about this and start another streak."

Sekou Smith is a sports writer for the Indianapolis Star.

DMN (http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/basketball/mavs/stories/112902dnspoblackistone.69169.html)
Mavs maintain look of a winner
11/29/2002

INDIANAPOLIS – All along, as the Mavericks stacked win after win after win to start this season, disbelievers remained.

They pointed out that most other teams that started so fast and so hot never amounted to much in the end, save the Houston Rockets of the mid-1990s. And they, of course, went on to win it all in a season that Michael Jordan decided not to play.

So this franchise-record-breaking, season-opening run that finally ended for the Mavericks on Thanksgiving was really much ado about very little, the skeptics argued. All the Mavericks would have accomplished with a victory over the Pacers was mere trivia: tying the best start in the NBA, 15 wins in a row.

Wrong.

Had the Mavericks been, say, the Lakers, winners of the last three NBA titles, that analysis would wash. But the Mavericks aren't the Lakers. They aren't the Sacramento Kings, either, who nearly dethroned the Lakers last spring after winning more games during the regular season than any other club. And they aren't the San Antonio Spurs, who still have their brightest stars from their championship season.

Those teams have little or nothing to prove. They've achieved things that no other teams have during this season or that one. They're proven.

Despite all they accomplished a season ago – birthing two more All-Stars, winning 57 games, sweeping Minnesota out of the playoffs' first round – the Mavericks still had plenty to prove. After all, the Kings shoved them aside in the second round as if they were curtains on a stage.

That was the impression they left on the league when last season ended.

This was the one they left on the league after the first 15 games of this season, which would include their first setback in '02-03, a 110-98 loss to the Pacers: The Mavericks are absolutely, unequivocally, for real.

"It was a big win," said the Pacers' Ron Artest, who scored 20 points and snatched 11 rebounds. "They are the best team in the NBA, but now they have one loss and that loss is to us."

Imagine that: another team hanging a score sheet from beating the Mavericks on its wall. That's the way the Mavericks still think of a win over the Lakers. And over the Kings. And over the Spurs.

That's what the 14 wins in a row mean. The Mavericks are contenders this season. They've taken their game that one rung higher.

"It sends a message that we're a better team," said the Mavericks' 14-year veteran, Avery Johnson. "The first thing Isiah [Thomas] said to me after the game was: 'You guys are good enough to start another streak.' "

That's the value of a 14-game winning streak to start the season. Everyone takes note.

"Everybody wanted to knock us out," Michael Finley noted, which is a feeling generally reserved for those with the crown.

"You heard Indiana talking about it," Johnson pointed out.

In other words, this team has garnered a new type of respect. Kind of like the respect Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki earned last season by being chosen for the first time as All-Stars.

The only question now is how the Mavericks handle their new reputation. It is one thing to be viewed as they were, sort of a novelty act, running up and down the court firing shots from all over.

It is quite another to be looked at as the real deal.

"We're better defensively," Johnson said. "Our big three has matured. People respect where we are right now."

Better still, the Mavericks looked and sounded – even after losing – to be handling their new standing quite well. The mood in their locker room didn't seem any different after the first setback than it did after any of the 14 triumphs. There was even some chuckling going on.

"We just lost one game," Nowitzki said. "It was never about the record."

It was about proving something. The Mavericks did ... to everyone else as well as themselves. The latter truth may be the most important.

OutletPass
11-29-2002, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the interesting post, Digit.

I had a lot of different thoughts after reading those articles, but the strongest one was:

What IF the Wizards manage to pop the Pacers ? I'd be LMAO.

FYI - I happened to notice that there are 5 teams in the East within 3 games of the Pacers. In the West, only Sac is within 3 of the Mavs. But, it's only november and the top teams have a rough schedule in December. It'll be fun to watch.

DIRK BRASIL
11-29-2002, 08:35 AM
MAVS IS THE BEST!
14-1 AGAINST 12-2.
NEXT GAMES:
BULLS W
TORONTO W
END DECEMBER - 16-1!!!

HoosierDaddyNow
11-29-2002, 09:13 AM
Look... I can be serious about this for a minute.

I'll agree with you all that Dallas has a quality team. I don't think that they are the perfect team without any flaws or weaknesses.... but a damn fine team none-the-less.

Who wouldn't like Dirk and Steve? They are the kind of bball players the basketball junkies like me from Indiana love to watch. They shoot lights out normally and they just play the game the right way. I'll admit it... I like em both. And Finley is without a doubt another quality baller.

The Mavs ARE loaded with sharpshooters and guns for sure but they are still soft in the middle. Getting smoked on the boards they way they did against the Pacers hurt them MORE than the poor shooting night they had, but I can see it both ways. If Dirk had been hitting any perimeter shots then ONeal wouldn't have been able to camp out just waiting to snatch another rebound.

This Mavs team is something special and they do have the best record in the league but they now have a loss and it's to the team with the 2nd best record in the league. It's a telling fact whether you want to admit it or not.

FineCubanCigar
11-29-2002, 09:40 AM
hoosierdaddy, you hit the nail on the head: "soft in the middle", "getting smoked on the boards" ... these phrases are all too familiar when it comes to my Mavricks. That said we have been able to outshoot 14 teams and have lost only 1 time, but most of our losses this year will be for these two reasons you pointed out . . . tell me, what is your UNBIASED view of shawn bradley as a "defensive stopper" or "frontline enforcer" in this league? i ask because lots of people around here think he is both of those things and more. just be honest.

seelenjaeger
11-29-2002, 09:53 AM
hey, now that we have an "objective" guy here who repeats the useless phrases of last year, let me ask you something straight (did i miss a thing or did we just lose a road game to a plain better opponent - which is nothing we can deny nor have to deny, but aswell nothing to make all-year conclusions out of it? especially since we lost due to poor performances by dirk and fin (or good performances from their opponents) and not because of this "we´re soft in the middle"-stuff ...) ... would you bash an own guy the way FineCubanCigar is contantly doing it with bradley?

FineCubanCigar
11-29-2002, 10:05 AM
i'd hope so, if he sucked and never lived up to the hype. THE GREAT WHITE HYPE, thats shawn bradley.

TheKid
11-29-2002, 10:11 AM
To all Indiana Fans.. CALM DOWN.. The Pacers shot AMAZING lastnight over 50% for the game and the Mavs shot TERRIBLE less than 38%. The Mavs STILL didn't get blown out...

The Mavs played their WORST game of the season and the Pacers played there best and they couldn't destroy the Mavs, calm down already.. They'll meet again.

OutletPass
11-29-2002, 10:14 AM
This Mavs team is something special and they do have the best record in the league but they now have a loss and it's to the team with the 2nd best record in the league. It's a telling fact whether you want to admit it or not.

Well thank you Mr. Hoosier for posting without disrespecting people on this board. Sorry you don't understand Spanish or any other 2nd language...your loss, I guess. the gist of my other reply to you is that the Mavs have fans on this board from all over the world and you need not disrespect them if English is their second language.

I would like to ask about this "telling fact" of yours. What in the name of ^&(^&$ is so "Telling". Or are you just another troll ?

The way I see it: We shot very poorly and the Pacers played very well. That's about it. I am on record all over this board as having predicted that Indiana would be the toughest game for us in the streak. You've got some super guys. I hope that you can resign them...but that's your problem.

Edit: Thank you, Mod. You posted as I was typing my reply to our new friend.

HoosierDaddyNow
11-29-2002, 10:14 AM
I've watched Shawn since his days at BYU... I don't really think much of him honestly.

Being 7'6 or whatever doesn't help you all that much when your passive nature lets guys walk you down constantly. I don't think most other NBA big men give him much respect and when he tries to make a statement it usually ends up being a foul.

I doubt that there are many teams that spend time trying to pry Shawn Bradley loose from the Mavs roster. His best assett is his heigth but he doesn't really use it to his full advantage most nights.

FineCubanCigar
11-29-2002, 10:21 AM
his words, not mine, from an unbiased perspective. what does he care if shawn is good or not?

Base Line Guy
11-29-2002, 10:43 AM
You take it how you can get it FCC. 1st we get and apology thread, then you try and work an opinion of Indy fan who obviously can only look at things through his yellow colored pacer shades.

His opinion means absolutely NOTHING to me. Anyone who will sit there and try and tell me that his team is better than a team with the 2nd longest winning streak to start the season in the history of the NBA is on crack.

Live in that Eastern fantasy world, b/c the last time I checked, Miller was 38 and Isiah was still the coach. You guys will go NO WHERE with Thomas as a leader.

BLG

OutletPass
11-29-2002, 10:45 AM
FCC - I thought that you opened a new thread apologizing for your repititious posts on this subject. Why continue the BS ?

Who's the real you ? The man who apologized or the guy who continues and continues to the point of nausea ?

You tell me. I think you have MPD.

At least you have a new Pet Hoosier to keep you warm at night.

Base Line Guy
11-29-2002, 10:49 AM
Thnx for also seeing that OP.

BLG

HoosierDaddyNow
11-29-2002, 11:33 AM
That good ol Hoosier whippin really stung didn't it Mavs fan.

Whats this crap about "have fun in the EC" and "you can't hang with the WC teams"?

uhm.... the Pacers are 4-0 vs the WC teams right now... including a win over your MAVS.

LOL... 14-1 is WAAAAAY better than 12-2. you guys crack me up. You're gonna get your rematch, in your house... and the Pacers will still win.

FilthyFinMavs
11-29-2002, 12:51 PM
Can someone explain why Mavs got beat by only 12 points when they are shooting over 50% and we shoot 38%? That shows me that this Mavs team on a decent nite could beat the Pacers let alone when the Big 3 are all playing well. Nonetheless, Pacers won the game which means squat to me and hate to sound like a apologist for the Mavs but if the Pacers fans are excited about beating the Mavs on a back to back game then they are in for something special when we play fresh.

dude1394
11-29-2002, 01:07 PM
<< hoosierdaddy, you hit the nail on the head: &quot;soft in the middle&quot;, &quot;getting smoked on the boards&quot; ... these phrases are all too familiar when it comes to my Mavricks. That said we have been able to outshoot 14 teams and have lost only 1 time, but most of our losses this year will be for these two reasons you pointed out . . . tell me, what is your UNBIASED view of shawn bradley as a &quot;defensive stopper&quot; or &quot;frontline enforcer&quot; in this league? i ask because lots of people around here think he is both of those things and more. just be honest. >>

FineCubanCigar: A few words..

1. the mavericks were outrebounding their opponents before catching it in the indy game. So if you are saying that they are going to get &quot;smoked on the boards&quot; 1 out of 15 times, then so be it, I'll take it. Quit knee-jerking.
2. The &quot;great white hype&quot; crap tells me more about you than the rest of your comments.

nowitzki_prophecy
11-29-2002, 01:18 PM
the mavericks get smocked on the boards?!WTF,because they had one game out of focus against Indy?the mavericks are very strong on the boards,even more so if you compare them to what they did last year.
look,people dont read too much into this,like i said,there is no doubt that if it wasnt a back to backer and we didnt had the pressure of the streak,despite their home advantage,it would've ended up adlist 13 for us,and i think we would have taking the robunds as well,finley really outdid himself in that section,he improved from 5 RPG last year to 7 and a little this year,dirk improved to almost 12,btw i think by the end of the year he will have adlist 12 RPG,and we have a new and improved shawn whos taking 8 and some RPG.
WERE NOT SOFT ON THE BOARDS!!!!!

Base Line Guy
11-29-2002, 01:39 PM
IndyIdiot, Why weren't you talking shit before the game? Are you just another EC spare fan that talks AFTER his team wins? Kind of childish don't you think? We'll see you guys drop out in the 2nd round of the plyoffs with your LESS THAN AVERAGE COACH.

Enjoy it will you can.

BLG

Chiwas
11-29-2002, 02:03 PM
<< Why weren't you talking shit before the game? >>

Exactly.

ScottM
11-29-2002, 02:54 PM
I'm a Pacer fan and I sometimes read other teams forums and I am not here to act classless and talk shit. But what I do have to say is (sorry if you think this is classless) you guys make a lot of excusses. When the Pacers lose no matter how bad they shot or played theirselves most Pacer fans on the Pacer forums acknowledge that the other team played them well and the other team defeated them whether they where a direct result of the bad shooting or not. Maybe the excusses are here because it was the Mavs first loss. Maybe the more if your team had lost more there would not be as many excusses.

For those of you using the Van Exel/Lafrentz excuss as to why you lost, many of us Pacer fans could use the same excuss in the Pacers losing two games without Reggie Miller (saying that we would be undefeated with him in all games) but we don't and I'm not, we could of lost those games anyway, thats why they are played.

HoosierDaddyNow
11-29-2002, 03:09 PM
<< I'm a Pacer fan and I sometimes read other teams forums and I am not here to act classless and talk shit. But what I do have to say is (sorry if you think this is classless) you guys make a lot of excusses. When the Pacers lose no matter how bad they shot or played theirselves most Pacer fans on the Pacer forums acknowledge that the other team played them well and the other team defeated them whether they where a direct result of the bad shooting or not. Maybe the excusses are here because it was the Mavs first loss. Maybe the more if your team had lost more there would not be as many excusses.

For those of you using the Van Exel/Lafrentz excuss as to why you lost, many of us Pacer fans could use the same excuss in the Pacers losing two games without Reggie Miller (saying that we would be undefeated with him in all games) but we don't and I'm not, we could of lost those games anyway, thats why they are played. >>

1.) I didn't even know this forum existed until somebody at the Pacers forum told me about it, I wouldn't have been here talkin shit even if I had known about it because basically I like the Mavs. They would probably be my favorite team if it wasn't for being a lifelong Pacer fan. What gets me is all the talk on here about celebrating the &quot;record&quot; before you even had a record. Kinda like &quot;after we beat Indiana and Chicago we'll have a big party&quot; instead of &quot;IF we beat Indiana and Chicago&quot;... You all were over looking and underestimating the Pacers and being a die hard Pacer fan it kinda ticks me off.

2.) Most of what I've been reading on here is a bunch of boohooing and excuses as to why the better team LOST. Get real.

FilthyFinMavs
11-29-2002, 03:14 PM
I believe you need to recheck the forum and read it well this time because no one said because Lafrentz and Nick werne't here that is hwy we lost. We are wewll aware we can beat Pacers without them. I have heard some say Lafrentz would have really been need last nite but that is as far as I have heard it. I too find it funny that before this game no Pacers step in here and now they talk shit? You gets no credibility here by coming here after a Pacers win over Mavs and talk shit. We gave you guys props even people predicted Mavs could lose this game. Just stop the assumptions. As a fan of a NBA team you are going to have to expect excuses that is just the nature of the game. IF Mavs win last nite you can't honestly say that no Pacer fan would have no excuses. We beat Detroit you guys lose to Detroit. So what does that say for your club?

Base Line Guy
11-29-2002, 03:17 PM
You're right Scotty, you are classless. Your 1st post on this board and you tell us we make a lot of excuses? What excuses are we making, I'd LOVE to hear this! I'll re-issue my statement I made to your boyfriend.....&quot;Why weren't you talking shit before the game?&quot;

Take your boring spare convo back to your board. The Mavs are 14-1 &amp; leading the league. That means the enter NBA. I assume the Pacers are a part of that very same NBA!

Base Line Guy

David
11-29-2002, 03:20 PM
Here is a quote from Kevin Blackistone's column in the DMN:

&quot;It was a big win,&quot; said the Pacers' Ron Artest, who scored 20 points and snatched 11 rebounds. &quot;They are the best team in the NBA, but now they have one loss and that loss is to us.&quot;

It seems that, at least, one of the Pacers thinks the Mavs are the better team.

HoosierDaddyNow
11-29-2002, 03:22 PM
<< You're right Scotty, you are classless. Your 1st post on this board and you tell us we make a lot of excuses? What excuses are we making, I'd LOVE to hear this! I'll re-issue my statement I made to your boyfriend.....&quot;Why weren't you talking shit before the game?&quot;

Take your boring spare convo back to your board. The Mavs are 14-1 &amp; leading the league. That means the enter NBA. I assume the Pacers are a part of that very same NBA!

Base Line Guy >>

Damn, I can't wait to see the Mavs/Pacers part 2.

FilthyFinMavs
11-29-2002, 03:22 PM
Ahhh yall done messed up now yall done got BLG mad. Gone ahead and get em BLG I have lost patience lol.

Base Line Guy
11-29-2002, 03:23 PM
Good post david. A team beats the NBA's best and there fans knee jerk all the way to our board to talk shit. It will all play itself out. Isiah will be there coach for the entire year and that WILL be the death of them.

BLG

digit
11-29-2002, 03:26 PM
As far as I am concerned Pacers` fans came to our board and started talking bull...just check the headline of this thread...I read people giving props to Indiana for executing their game plan very well, BUT I`m convinced, that no one on this board thinks, that the Pacers are the better team in general...

end of story, enough of Pacers talk...

OutletPass
11-29-2002, 03:37 PM
HoosierLadyCow:

OP:

I would like to ask about this &quot;telling fact&quot; of yours. What in the name of ^&amp;(^&amp;$ is so &quot;Telling&quot;. Or are you just another troll ?

The way I see it: We shot very poorly and the Pacers played very well. That's about it. I am on record all over this board as having predicted that Indiana would be the toughest game for us in the streak. You've got some super guys. I hope that you can resign them...but that's your problem.

Can't you read or even attempt to answer the question, troll. [i]

<u>I'm with Digit, enough Pacers talk. Let's end this thread.</u>

Chiwas
11-29-2002, 04:08 PM
There are only four elite team in the NBA: Lakers, Kings, Mavericks and Spurs. For coincidence or not , all of them are from the West.

The average western teams are in the same level that the best eastern teams. Indiana's funs (and most eastern funs) have an ilussion, to be part of the elite top four.

Just because they won one game over Dallas, they think that they can be there. Mavericks played their worst game in the season, meanwhile Indiana made one of its best and playing at home, and the difference was only 12 points.

Next game Mavericks is going to brake Indiana in pieces since the first half. The difference is going to be more than 20 points with our bench playing the fourth quarter.

They, Indiana or whichever eastern team would be swiped in the first round by any western at playoffs if West and East could play the rounds before the final.

In fact, the real NBA's final should be with western teams.

Blonde Bomber
11-29-2002, 04:09 PM
DAMN...we get our first loss of the season, on the road, and after a back to back and we get TROLLS in here talking sh*t. This beats all...

It's really funny that Indiana should have beaten us by more than 20 with the shooting percentage that we threw out there.

What it all comes down to is if 2 of the Big 3 have horrible nights (in the case of lastnight with Dirk and Fin) then we are asking for a loss.
That's it..

If only 1 of the Big 3 are off, then most likely we win easily.
And I don't want to tell you what happens when all 3 are on there game....well let's just say it isn't pretty.

I think the big reason we lost, other than Dirk and Fin having off nights, was Harrington. That dude was playing way above what he produces on average. If the Mav's play like they normally do, they win that game in Indiana. And we wouldn't have these dumba** trolls on this board.

It's funny how they come out of the woodwork when they win, and they just crawl back in when they lose...

I guess this is what it feels to be the hunted..i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Evilmav2
11-29-2002, 04:32 PM
Classy move trying to enroll Pacers fans in you anti-Bradley jihad FineCuban...

I would hope anyone who watched last night's game would have noticed the obvious- that the only time we had any success stopping the Harrington/Miller/O'Neal/Artest show in the paint was when Bradley was on the floor. Ticky tack fouls continued to hamper Bradley last night, but his on the court production and defensive impact was exemplary when the refs didn't send him to the bench...

Regardless of whatever deficiencies you believe you saw in Bradley's game, I say it is unfair to single out Bradley when he shot 5-6 for 10 points while pulling down 8 boards, blocking 3 shots, and intimidating numerous shots in foul-limited minutes last night. Bradley isn't Dirk-he doesn't win games on his own, but his defense and rebounding have sure helped his teammates win enough of them this year...

But I guess that kind of efficient production isn't enough to satisfy you. I am sure there are lots of other big men out there who would bring a much bigger impact to the Mavs than Bradley. Much as I would love to have such a player, that is somewhat unlikely since Shaq, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, etc..., are not exactly available right now. And crap-ass-crewers like Othella Harrington, Jerome Williams, Keon Clark, Kelvin Cato would not bring the impact of a Bradley...

HoosierDaddyNow
11-29-2002, 07:24 PM
uh huh... Shawns 10/8/3 really helped em out last night. What a game by the big fella.

HoosierDaddyNow
11-29-2002, 07:34 PM
<< [i]HoosierLadyCow:

OP:

I would like to ask about this &quot;telling fact&quot; of yours. What in the name of ^&amp;(^&amp;$ is so &quot;Telling&quot;. Or are you just another troll ?

Can't you read or even attempt to answer the question, troll.

<u>I'm with Digit, enough Pacers talk. Let's end this thread.</u> >>

The Mavs choked. Dirk choked. When the pressure was on they couldn't pull it out a win. Some things never change do they Mavs fan. Just about the best team money can buy and you still can't get over the hump and it really pisses ya off to know its true.

Donnie Walsh says he can resign them all so I'm taking his word for it.

Why does everybody keep saying how Isiah sucks as a coach? Give me your reasons.

Evilmav2
11-29-2002, 07:42 PM
That reply was addressed to the FineCuban ones' criticism of Bradley rather than as some kind of excuse for last night. It is just plain silly for any Mavs fans' to bring up Bradley as some kind of catch-all excuse for being outplayed in the paint against the Pacers. It's comparable to a Pacers' fan ragging on Jonathan Bender for shooting a hypothetical 5-6 from the field in a Pacers loss (Bender shoots too much! He should play in the paint and rebound!)... It's just off-point and superfluous...

classicsman
11-29-2002, 11:36 PM
Actually, I thought Bradley looked pretty good against us last night, at leasr offensively. He was the only one other than Nash who showed he could take it to the hoop. He has a nice hook shot, a weapon I think is underutilized in the game these days. He's better than a lot of people have made him out to be.

Base Line Guy
11-29-2002, 11:38 PM
I finally agree with you CM. He's a pretty decent center when he wants to be.

BLG

HoosierDaddyNow
11-30-2002, 12:27 AM
Bradley did hit a nice little hook shot against the Pacers. I forgot about that.

He definitely changes shots when hes in the lane. If the guy would just get some nutz he could be a potent weapon on both ends of the floor. IMHO his timd nature limits his productivity.

ScottM
11-30-2002, 01:23 AM
Sorry you thought my post was classless. You seemed to be a little touchy. All I was saying was that I see no one giving the Pacers their props. All I am seeing is your posters posting threads on how Dallas beat themselves by shooting bad and such. I can understand you being overly upset because it was your teams first loss and those are hard to swollow when your team is streaking.

And to chiwas sorry but the Spurs are not as elite as you seem to think.

Epitome22
11-30-2002, 02:22 AM
As a fellow Mav Fan and poster on these boards I have to agree that some of the regs on this Mav board are being a little out of line here. The original posts by Hoosierwhatever were pretty tasteless but other than that I think the Pacer fans that visited this board explained themselves rather well. Maverick fans need to settle down, no more excuses about why they lost, no excuses about LaFrentz and Van Exel (even if there weren't any) no classless dogging of the Pacers franchise or their head coach. Lets hope The Mavs and The Pacers continue their seasonal success and try to maintain a semi peaceful relationship with the Pacers board so that the next Pacers vs Mavs game is that much more special for the respective fans as well as the off shot at potential finals match between the two? could happen.

Evilmav2
11-30-2002, 07:46 AM
Epitome22? Today you are sounding more like Apologist22...

Notwithstanding your apparently delicate sensibilies concerning &quot;out of line&quot; Mavs' fans, all of the contributers to this thread--BaseLine, Outlet, Digit, Chiwas, Blonde Bomber, etc...-- are all completely justified in defending the honor of the Mavs against the hollow boasting of these puffed up Pacer fans.

They came in here throwing clumps of shit, so they should't cry when some gets thrown back at them...

Chiwas
11-30-2002, 10:26 AM
<< And to chiwas sorry but the Spurs are not as elite as you seem to think. >>

You let Dallas in, at least.

Base Line Guy
11-30-2002, 10:35 AM
E22, I have yet to hear a Mavs fan come up with excuses as to why we lost. Every great streak comes to an end sooner or later. I am pssionate about my team but can debate in a civil manner, but when these trolls come over here and start talking shit AFTER they beat us, I will not hold back. Scotty may not be on the same annoying level as Hoosier or CM, so I apologize in advance for lumpin him in with the rest of the Eastern Pretender Posters.

BLG

Chiwas
11-30-2002, 10:38 AM
I would vote to have this thread deleted.

Edit: It would have to be moved to the &quot;Around the NBA&quot;, at least.

FilthyFinMavs
11-30-2002, 11:12 AM
<< E22, I have yet to hear a Mavs fan come up with excuses as to why we lost. Every great streak comes to an end sooner or later. I am pssionate about my team but can debate in a civil manner, but when these trolls come over here and start talking shit AFTER they beat us, I will not hold back. Scotty may not be on the same annoying level as Hoosier or CM, so I apologize in advance for lumpin him in with the rest of the Eastern Pretender Posters.

BLG >>

I was afraid I was blind because I didn't see any Mavs fans making excuses for Mavs. Matter of fact every single poster has giving them their props but you can't escape the fact that Mavs shot 38% from the field and Pacers shot over 50% and they win by 12. It's more explanations then I see excuses.

David
11-30-2002, 12:33 PM
From a story by the associated press:

``In order to win this game, you're going to have to use everything you have from a strategy standpoint, because they're the best team in the NBA right now,'' Pacers coach Isiah Thomas said before the game.

OutletPass
11-30-2002, 02:09 PM
e22 - I gave immediate props and made no excuses whatsoever, but I'm not going to let these clowns insult our Fans from other countries. Nor am I going to sit here while they sling their crap. By their own admission, they are Pacer fans.

What was their point ? That we lost. Well, yes we did and I think everyone on the board acknowledged that. Just look at the list Evil provided.

If you have a problem with all of this, go read my initial posts to them. There are no &quot;Best teams&quot; in the NBA at this point of the season...only &quot;best records.&quot; It's quantified and not subjective.

You can point fingers if you want, but if you're going to point at me, you better be able to back it up.

BY the way what did you think of FCC posting an apology, then start ranting again in 8 minutes. Personally, he's has no credibility or respect anymore on any subject. Defend him if you like, I won't.

HoosierDaddyNow
11-30-2002, 03:12 PM
There was no back handed attempt to slur any races on my part.

I had no idea that the poster that I kinda made fun of was (I'm assuming) of Hispanic origins. I thought I was making fun of a good ol boy Texan that couldn't spell and had little understanding of English grammer. My bad.

IMHO it's good to have some tension and trash talking between the two teams with the best records in the league. It's all in good fun right.

Yall intentionally float out that KKK crap... I've never in my life met anyone that I know of thats a member of any hate group and I've lived in southern Indiana all my life. Isn't that supposed to be the home of the klan? I wouldn't know as it doesn't really matter to me one bit.

I've already stated that if it weren't for the Pacers being my hometown team, I'd probably be a Mavs fan as I like the way they play and I like the players. Dirk, Steve and Mike are the bomb, no denying that, but wouldn't you guys love to have a Jermain ONeal or a Brad Miller on your front line?

btw.... this piece out of the Indystar this morning was pretty cool..

Reggie Strikes Again

By Conrad Brunner

Indianapolis, Nov. 29 - The elbows were cocked, the shot fully loaded. After making another 3-pointer in another one of his stunning explosions, Reggie Miller glared at the Washington bench as if to taunt Michael Jordan into the game.

Base Line Guy
11-30-2002, 08:02 PM
Kinda made fun of? You're so incredibly blind that you can't even admit you were wrong....KINDA? The poster is from and lives in Mexico. Maybe you should pull your head out of Reggie's ass before you speak. Tension is great IMO, but at least know your basketball and do it correctly. Talking shit AFTER a win is mighty big of you. If you want to gain some respect, come on here and post subjectively, we can debate it and we'll go from there. You and your Indy bed buddies obviously don't have much experience with a winning team is the best excuse I can come up with for all of you.

BLG

Super Slow Mo
12-01-2002, 03:12 AM
I agree totally with Epitome22

HoosierDaddyNow
12-01-2002, 04:27 AM
<< If you want to gain some respect, come on here and post subjectively, we can debate it and we'll go from there. You and your Indy bed buddies obviously don't have much experience with a winning team is the best excuse I can come up with for all of you.

BLG >>

lol... man you are the living end...

can somebody tell this moron what the word &quot;subjective&quot; means.

I know I know.... he means &quot;objectively&quot; but it's just funny how hes trying so hard to dis me and he doesn't even really know what the hell hes saying.

Objective - expressing or dealing with facts or conditions as perceived without distortion by personal feelings, prejudices, or interpretations

thats your English lesson for today boy..... come on back with one now and I'll keep knockin em outta the park. you are too easy. Damn... and I thought Knicks fans were stupid...LOL.... you got them all beat.

David
12-01-2002, 07:25 AM
Opinions abound. Jalen Rose after the game last night:

&quot;But we will get better because this is our first time playing with the new lineup, and we did it against the best team in the league right now,'' Rose said.

Chiwas
12-01-2002, 09:54 AM
Thomas and Rose said that Dallas is the best team in the NBA?????

Maybe they were seeing the statistics.

Maybe they were seeing the standings.

Maybe they were watching Mavs games.

But they do not know basketball game. We can´t take in account their comments.

The statistics are nothing.

The standings...the standings...mmmmmmm....the standings don´t reflect the reality!!

You have to be an Indiana fan to understand why everybody is wrong.

Base Line Guy
12-01-2002, 10:55 AM
yes, objectively. Thnx for pointing that out. My sports brain is getting soft with all this family time.

For the record, I am no troll smasher, I leave that for MadApe.

BLG

FineCubanCigar
12-01-2002, 05:20 PM
Indiana is the best in the east, not the NBA.

ScottM
12-01-2002, 09:15 PM
Sorry that I'm knocking this thread back to the top, but the Mavs are not the best team in the league and neither are the Pacers. It is to early in the season to say a top-tier team is better than another top- tier team. These teams have not played enough games to see what their main weaknesses are against other good teams. This main thread is way to early we should wait at least another month or month and a half before making any statement that a team is the best in the league.
All we know is that these two teams will most likely be in the running.

FilthyFinMavs
12-01-2002, 10:51 PM
Well we are saying who is the best team as of right now. For all we know Lakers could be the best team come March but it is who is the best squad right now. Isiah and Jalen Rose believe we are the best squad in the NBA. We have the best record in the NBA and can't think of any teams player better then Mavs at the moment.

dude1394
12-03-2002, 12:10 AM
Well.... where is the hoosier troll tonight?

pepperfletch
12-03-2002, 01:13 AM
You can talk all the trash you want Mr. Indiana, but the Mavs are the current class of the league. If Fin and Dirk had shot anywhere near normal we would have won pure and simple. It was NOT Defense who stopped us, it was off nights. We shall see on the 17th in the re-match.

OutletPass
12-03-2002, 01:17 AM
SSSSSSSHHHHHH Guys....we don't want those (&ampi/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif^#%#&amp; trolls back here any earlier than the 17th do we. I applaud everyone who kept silent in order to get rid of them (and you know who you are). Let's not FEED the trolls, ok.

dude1394
12-03-2002, 07:59 AM
<< SSSSSSSHHHHHH Guys....we don't want those (&ampi/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif^#%#&amp; trolls back here any earlier than the 17th do we. I applaud everyone who kept silent in order to get rid of them (and you know who you are). Let's not FEED the trolls, ok. >>

Point taken...

HoosierDaddyNow
12-03-2002, 08:13 AM
many thanks to those of you that have kept the slogan &quot;Indiana Pacers are the best team in the NBA&quot; right at the top of the Mavs forum.

sure they lost last night.... lets see now... how were you guys putting it... it was the 2nd game of a back to back, the Pacers starting PG was out with an injury, we shot the ball very poorly... LOL!

Fact is that the Jazz played a hell of a game and they beat the Pacers fair and square. Unfortunately most of the posters on here don't have the class to say the same about the Mavs loss to the Pacers, in your eyes the better team LOST that night and it really just makes me laugh at you all.

but again... thanks for making my thread so popular around here.

Epitome22
12-03-2002, 04:27 PM
I agree with Hoosier

Evilmav2
12-03-2002, 05:00 PM
http://www.dallas-mavs.com/forums/i/authorsicons/default.gifhttp://www.wildlifewebsite.com/ape-pictures/mandrill-baboon---male-rump-77.jpghttp://www.dallas-mavs.com/forums/i/authorsicons/default.gif
This thread is getting stinky again...

Super Slow Mo
12-03-2002, 05:21 PM
I agree with Epitome who agrees with Hoosier.

Drbio
12-03-2002, 05:29 PM
I agree with EvilMav....stinky is as stinky does.

Base Line Guy
12-03-2002, 06:04 PM
I agree with the good Doc who agrees with EV2.

BLG

seelenjaeger
12-03-2002, 06:08 PM
Indeed.

dude1394
12-03-2002, 07:07 PM
Please, please forgive me fellow posters for bringing back up this dunghill of a thread. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

turbo.mav
12-03-2002, 09:40 PM
hoosier, do you think the pacers are better than the mavs?

Evilmav2
12-03-2002, 09:47 PM
I bet Utah doesn't...

Evilmav2
12-03-2002, 09:47 PM
Or the Nets... Or especially the Pistons...

turbo.mav
12-03-2002, 09:54 PM
lol evilmav

HoosierDaddyNow
12-03-2002, 10:14 PM
<< hoosier, do you think the pacers are better than the mavs? >>

in all honesty....NO I do not think the Pacers are better than the Mavs.

I think the Pacers are a very young team that has tons of potential and is only going to get better with more experience.I think they are a team that will be way more dangerous in the playoffs than they are during the regular season.

The Pacers have all kinds of holes right now. Only one legit PG and hes been out the last two games and the other &quot;pg&quot; E Strickland is on the IL leaving Ron Mercer to run the point. Hell, he aint no pg, hes not doing the job running the show. Reggie Miller has a bum ankle and is going to have sugery on it this summer, he's 37 and playing in pain every night. The Pacers have a hell of a time stoping the dribble pen, Stockton killed em last night with it but the Pacers have ALWAYS had trouble with that... a legacy of weak backcourt defense.

But the Pacers do play a thuggish smashmouth style of ball and they will feast on the finesse teams like the Mavs. The teams that have beat them are NJ. Det and Utah... three teams that matched the Pacers aggression in the paint and it paid off in wins.

All smack and trash talking aside... IMHO the Pacers will beat the Mavs again on the 17th. The points in the paint and rebounding stats weren't a fluke in the first game. Whos gonna stop ONeal, B Miller and Al Harrington from doing it again? Honestly ... I'd like to know.

aexchange
12-03-2002, 11:07 PM
try lafrentz. or eschmeyer. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif or any of the big bodies we didnt have for the last game. excuses aside, although the mavs may not be able to guard any of your bigs, the pacers have absolutely no one who can guard the pg's on the mavs. i consider it a wash. van exel and nash are both deadly on the drive and from the perimeter. and the mavs sorely missed van exel's toughness in the last game.

you guys do need a pg though. how about van exel for j. o'neal? seems pretty reasonable to this objective mavs fan. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Chiwas
12-03-2002, 11:59 PM
<< you guys do need a pg though. how about van exel for j. o'neal? seems pretty reasonable to this objective mavs fan. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif >>

i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

OutletPass
12-04-2002, 12:30 AM
Funny...this thread is NOW #1 in an inferior classification. Bound to happen. The title is going to look pretty funny come April...

Thanks Mods.

HoosierDaddyNow
12-04-2002, 09:51 AM
yah, it's the official trash talking thread of Pacer vs Mavs fan.

What the hell would the Mavericks want Jermain ONeal for when they already have that bad ass Shawn Bradley. hahahaha

you can keep Nick the Flick... the guys been hot since his return but he'll eventually prove that he's 100% mediocre.

Chiwas
12-04-2002, 10:13 AM
<< The title is going to look pretty funny come April... >>

It is now, after the Utah awaking.

senorfrog
12-04-2002, 01:23 PM
<< yah, it's the official trash talking thread of Pacer vs Mavs fan.

What the hell would the Mavericks want Jermain ONeal for when they already have that bad ass Shawn Bradley. hahahaha

you can keep Nick the Flick... the guys been hot since his return but he'll eventually prove that he's 100% mediocre. >>

Had I not heard about this thread in another forum, I would have never known that this weasel was contaminating our board. As a rule of thumb I give no credence to anything with the words &quot;Indiana&quot; and &quot;best, smart&quot;, or their synonyms, in my reading. Luberfan...upon reviewing the history of your posts, I have concluded that you have some serious trolling experience. When I think of Loserfan, two things come to my mind...

Before the booking
http://209.71.42.240/DailyPhotos/0402indianafans.jpg

After the booking
http://membres.lycos.fr/anthonyetcedrine/trolls.jpg

That being said, I will feed the troll no more. I advise the rest of the board to do the same.
God bless the Mavs. The BEST team in the NBA...hands down.

senorfrog
12-04-2002, 01:38 PM
I almost forgot. Troll, if you insist on wasting our bandwith with your bandwagon posts, at least make a donation to pay for it.

Base Line Guy
12-04-2002, 01:55 PM
SenorFrog is moving up my list of favorite posters FAST!

Great post!

BLG

Chiwas
12-04-2002, 02:37 PM
se&ntilde;orfrog has a special talent to deal with remoras.

MFFL
12-04-2002, 11:58 PM
And senorfrog has the drunk frog back in his signature. Cool!

DTL
12-05-2002, 12:44 AM
well, Pacers might be one of the luckiest teams in the league so far. That was one heck of a prayer trey by Ron Artest and it tied the game against Sonics.

Didn't he make one of those earlier, too?

senorfrog
12-05-2002, 10:19 AM
<< And senorfrog has the drunk frog back in his signature. Cool! >>

I am putty in the hands of forum opinion.

OutletPass
12-09-2002, 05:46 PM
Thread title looks pretty ridiculous now...just one little trip to the west is all it takes.

MavKikiNYC
12-09-2002, 08:45 PM
Pacers Coach Thomas Ticketed by Police
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 11:38 p.m. ET

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Indiana Pacers coach Isiah Thomas was ticketed for failing to obey an officer early Sunday after police pulled over his vehicle.

Thomas was pulled over about 3:30 a.m., shortly after he returned from a Pacers game in Denver. A sergeant from the Marion County Sheriff's Department saw him driving in a lane that had been closed following a traffic accident on Interstate 465 on the west side of Indianapolis.

When the officer asked to see Thomas' driver's license, Thomas refused and was removed from his car and briefly handcuffed, said Joseph McAtee, the department's deputy chief.

Officers had intended to arrest Thomas for failing to identify himself but decided to issue only a traffic ticket after finding a wallet with identification in Thomas' vehicle, McAtee said.

Thomas said he was worried about the wreck.

``It was a tense situation,'' Thomas said in a statement issued by the team Sunday night. ``The police were worried one of their fellow officers was hurt. And I was thinking it could be one of my players.''

Responded McAtee: ``If he would have told them when he was stopped, it would have made a big difference. No officers said he indicated that to them at all.''

McAtee said the two officers who initially confronted Thomas do not follow basketball and did not know who Thomas was, even after learning his name. Only when someone from the Pacers arrived did they realize Thomas was the team's coach.

While officers were searching for Thomas' wallet, they found a large amount of cash. McAtee said the money, the time of night and Thomas' behavior prompted officers to call for a drug-sniffing dog. The dog found no hint of drugs.

When officers attempted to give Thomas the ticket, he refused to take it. Officers placed the ticket and the wallet inside his car, McAtee said.

Thomas refused to leave the scene, saying he did not have his identification. He was still at the scene when sheriff's officials left, McAtee said.

Super Slow Mo
12-09-2002, 10:55 PM
What a shame, a black guy driving a nice car with lots of moneys and they think drugs are involved. Damn shame if you ask me, I am not surprised because it happens akk the time, everywhere.

OutletPass
12-10-2002, 01:59 AM
Driving in a lane that had been closed... Thomas refused when the officer asked to see Thomas' driver's license... When officers attempted to give Thomas the ticket, he refused to take it.

-- Isiah Thomas, Model Citizen; Pride of Indiana.

Spitting up a hairball ?? Akk !

Chiwas
12-10-2002, 11:52 AM
<< -- Isiah Thomas, Model Citizen; Pride of Indiana. >>

LOL, OP. Indiana is sinked enough in the W-L battle against Dallas and Thomas as his captain is working like an anchor with a not enough lenght chain.

TripleDipping
12-11-2002, 01:46 PM
Paging Mr. HoosierDaddy... bet you don't feel so cool now don't you? When the Pacers won you talk thrash, now that the Pacers' loosing you hide your cowardy tail... some fan you are. Please do your self-esteem a favor by not appearing around here anymore.