PDA

View Full Version : The Yao Show

Fidel
12-03-2002, 10:26 PM
Well, itīs official now, Yao can play.
He had 27 points on 10 - 18 fg, 18 rb (6 orb), 3 ast, 3 blk and only 2 toīs against the Spurs tonight. He dominated Duncan, Robinson and Willis both on offense and defense. He was a big part in holding Ducan and Robinson to 10 - 29 shooting. Besides blocking 3 shots he altered several others. In short, he was amazing, and almost singlehandedly beat the Spurs tonight. He scored on an array of different moves: in your face spot up jumpers over Duncan, nice turnaround hookshots on both sides, a putback dunk, a dunk over Duncan, driving to the basket, spin around post moves, turn around jumpers, he really had it all. I was very impressed, and Iīm a little bit worried too, since he plays for the Rockets. If this guy stays healthy and can get a little stronger (though he really did bang with the San Antonio big guys tonight), watch out league!

On another note: Steve Francis is soooo overrated. Heīs an ok shooting guard but he canīt play point at all. He canīt set up his teammates, is not a real good passer, is totally out of control at times and gets stuck in traffic way too often. He had 7 toīs and 6 ast tonight. Heīs a good one on one offensive weapon but canīt play a lick of team ball. Rudy T finally got that in the 4th and put Norris at the point and Francis at sg, with much success.

aexchange
12-03-2002, 10:29 PM
im extremely pleased for my fellow countryman. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

yao will be a stud, and i for one cant be any happier. lets hope he has a monster career and the mavs win every game they play against him. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Fidel
12-03-2002, 10:36 PM
Yeah Eaxchange, I was one of the Yao doubters here,
but Yao really convinced me tonight. He is fun to watch, because heīs a skilled player and seems to be a team guy too. Heīll probably continue to be inconsistent this year, but that should become less and less of a problem. What he did tonight was so amazing, and he did it against one of the best frontcourts in the NBA.

Chiwas
12-03-2002, 10:56 PM
Yao is going to have a monster career, indeed. He is right now improving a lot, reaching high playing levels and IS VERY YOUNG!

OutletPass
12-03-2002, 11:34 PM
It's been just a matter of PT since he did his thing on top of the Mavs. I have been totally confused as to why Rudy T. has been playing this game of revolving ancient forwards which has kept Yao out of the O. Anyone who missed his "coming out" against the Mavs was a little blind IMHO. Going to love watching him play...against everyone else.

DTL
12-04-2002, 01:52 PM
Nice read on Yao Ming, by Ric Bucher: link (http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/bucher_ric/1470637.html)

Highlight:

<< For someone 7-foot-5 under such intense media scrutiny, Yao has proved to be a master of deception. Barkley made the mistake of thinking that because Yao doesn't try to score every time he touches the ball, as you might expect from a No. 1 pick, that he can't. Yao simply -- and refreshingly -- believes the game isn't meant to be played that way. After proving Charles wrong about his scoring and any comparison to Bradley in quick order, Yao has returned to the same judicious shot selection he had before. If anyone has reason to demand more shots, it would be the league leader in field-goal percentage (66.7) and points scored per shot (1.71). Whether it's unawareness of the U.S. preoccupation with statistics as a player's measure or how he was taught the game in Shanghai, the next time Yao forces a shot or holds the ball too long will be the first time. His scoring average is an efficient 9.3 points per game. >>

Chiwas
12-04-2002, 02:08 PM
<< Whether it's unawareness of the U.S. preoccupation with statistics as a player's measure >>

This reminds me Nowitzki.

grbh
12-04-2002, 03:13 PM
I have to admit, I didn't think Yao would amount to a dominant player. A little to early to say he will but he is definately trending in that direction. When you consider he missed training camp, he is a rookie, is probably going through a bit of culture shock, and isn't fluent in English he has far exceeded my expectations of him this early in the season. Over the last 10 Yao stats are:

Rebounds: 7.5
Blocks: 2.1
FG%: 68%

MFFL
12-04-2002, 04:51 PM
I might have to eat some crow on this one as well. I never thought Yao would be anything other than a mediocre player. He has a lot more game than I thought he had.

DTL
12-04-2002, 04:56 PM
The biggest question regarding Yao Ming's development might be how Steve &quot;Franchise&quot; is going to accomodate himself to the rising reign of the Ming Dynasty.

Evilmav2
12-04-2002, 09:19 PM
I thought Yao would take a few years to slowly become a Rik Smits. That is, he would be a good, big, lumbering, space eater who rebounds well and gets his offense from his good jump-shot. Yao has really proved my early, uninformed judgement to be in error. He is much more athletic than I ever would have thought possible...

Cipherous
12-05-2002, 03:15 AM
at first, I really thought Yao Ming was gonna be a bust. After he got shafted at the season opener by scoring zero points and grabbing 2 rebounds. His rebounding looked awful, he was getting boxed out by point guards and they were pushing him out like he was nothing. He looked weak, like he was not made for the NBA game. I thought the guy was gonna take some time getting used to the game. I guess he surprised us all when he broke out during the Laker's game. Would you guys be surprised if he DESERVELY made the all star team? Also, top contender for rookie of the year? If Ming keeps playing like he does, hes a shoe in for the rookie of the year and maybe even an all star. Who knows? i love this kid, he was definitely an underdog. On top of that, he's got a great attitude and has a great character, humility just like all the big men favorites such as Nowitzki, Duncan and Robinson.

Dooby
12-05-2002, 08:37 AM
Has anybody heard a damn thing about Jay Williams in Chicago? Yao is the only rookie you hear about this year.

OutletPass
12-05-2002, 09:01 AM
I have been very confused by Rudy T's use of his ancient forwards in the rockets O. It seems even crazier when you consider the stats :

They're from games in which Yao has played 30 minutes or more; here's his averages in those games

25 points, 14 boards, 3 blocks, 2 assists .660 FG%, 82 % FT