PDA

View Full Version : the lottery

Murphy3
05-21-2001, 02:34 PM
down with the freaking lottery.
it's stupid. there's no reason to decide who drafts where by the lottery

MFFL
05-21-2001, 03:30 PM
I have to respectfully disagree. The goal of the lottery was to stop teams from dumping games to have a better drafting position. Very few teams dump games now. Lots of non-playoff teams (like the Clippers this year and the Mavs last year) actually win important games at the end of the year. Any system that encourages teams to try to win gets my support.

Hales233
05-21-2001, 03:34 PM
MFFL, I see you only respectfully disagree with the members who hold a special place in your heart i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Murphy3
05-21-2001, 03:37 PM
it's also a system that can keep a bad team down.
a team can be the worst team in the nba and get screwed out of the top pick.
that isn't the way it should be.
if a team tanks games, if they have that mindset, they'll never be winners.
besides, if a coach or gm told players to tank games, don't you think that it would get out into the press, especially with free agency?

Murphy3
05-21-2001, 03:41 PM
i do see your point mffl, but i don't think that it would be a problem. i seriously don't know if a team could get away with tanking games or not without the league catching wind of it and slapping some very heavy fines on them

MFFL
05-21-2001, 03:48 PM
But the lottery went into effect BECAUSE a team was tanking games. Houston only played its starters an average of 20 minutes a game the last 10-15 games of the season to have a chance to be in the coin flip for the Dream. The players were laughing on the bench in blowout loss after blowout loss.

MFFL
05-21-2001, 03:51 PM
The NBA cannot PROVE that there are secret "wink-wink" deals in the NBA but there are. Hell, we have one on our team - Gary Trent. That's the reason that the Wolves were clobbered so hard, the NBA FINALLY caught someone and they were trying to send a message.

Murphy3
05-21-2001, 03:57 PM
that was a very long time ago.
the lottery itself is more of a joke and is under more scrutiny than teams tanking games.
alot of people believe that the lottery was fixed so jordan and the whiz could get the #1 pick

MFFL
05-21-2001, 04:23 PM
No insult, but a lot of people believe in UFO's too. There's always someone who wants to believe there are conspiracies everywhere. I believe the lottery is as fair as it could be.

Murphy3
05-21-2001, 05:01 PM
ok, if no one can prove that the lottery wasn't fixed then prove that the rockets tanked to get akeem (at the time).
like i said, the only way to be truly fair is to get rid of the lottery

MFFL
05-21-2001, 05:20 PM
I can't prove the Rockets didn't tank games. But the perception around the league was that the Rockets were guilty, so the NBA switched to a lottery. Every one of the non-playoff team had an equal shot of getting the first pick and the worst team had no protection. They could select last of the non-playoff teams. A few years into that system, the perception was that the Knicks had somehow stolen Ewing from the rest of the league (remember the bent card that was selected #1 - it was New York's). The NBA changed the lottery again, and the ping-pong ball system was used. About the same time, the perception was that the worst teams were getting robbed. The NBA gave them protection in the form of selecting no worse than 4th. The lottery has evolved into the most fair system in sports IMO. The other sports encourage losing to get a higher pick. The NBA says "try to win", because there are no guarantees.

MFFL
05-22-2001, 08:34 AM
Good article here

http://espn.go.com/columns/ratto_ray/1202211.html

Hales233
05-22-2001, 09:07 AM
Can't you two nimrods have this conversation through PM's??

Murphy3
05-22-2001, 09:26 AM
another uncalled for shot.
please stop, thank you.

if we wanted to converse through pm's, we'd be at a yahoo chat site or something, but we wanted to talk basketball, so we are here.
if that's not ok with you, you can leave, that would be fine with everyone concerned

MFFL
05-22-2001, 09:48 AM
hales - this is actually a very hot basketball topic. murph and I are on the polar ends of the argument that is currently going on in a lot of cities right now. The reason it is not as hot of a topic for Mavs fans is because we are not a lottery team anymore. Read some articles from the Chicago newspapers - they are very upset right now.

madape
05-22-2001, 10:40 AM
I like the lottery. It provides the chance that teams run by idiot owners can get screwed out of number one picks. I am all in favor of teams consistently losing year after year.

Big Boy Laroux
05-22-2001, 11:37 AM
i think the lottery is a good system. but i agree that they need to have a machine do the picking in front of the representatives from the teams.

Murphy3
05-22-2001, 12:23 PM
is there any legitimate reason to have it in private?

Big Boy Laroux
05-22-2001, 12:26 PM
i don't think so. i don't know the reasoning behind it... which makes it even more sensible to hold it in front of everyone.

Murphy3
05-22-2001, 12:39 PM
holding it in private only leads to allegations of tampering

scooterj5
05-25-2001, 08:11 PM
I heard Ewing's year was rigged.

giostar
05-27-2001, 10:56 AM
I believe that its rigged every year...

How many times has the worst team in the league actually received the top pick.

How many times has the worst team in the league fallen out of the top 3?

If you answered "too many times"... you have the correct answer!