PDA

View Full Version : Lakers going down to the Nets

OutletPass
12-19-2002, 07:36 PM
46-37 at halftime...Nets running the court.
Shaq looks like "Dead Man Walking".
Lakers look pitiful. they're going to have to go crazy to win this one.

The "Lakers in the Lottery" conspiracy theory is being raised more and more on the ESPN boards...very weird.

Chiwas
12-19-2002, 08:45 PM
Well, LA lost.

Kidd ate lakers.

Chiwas
12-19-2002, 09:20 PM
-Why did you lose?

-Isolation of Kobe

(sort of)

Hope Nelson had heard. Nájera's work!

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/166efad8/bc/album+4/jack.jpg?bccMpA.AjiDxin1R

MavsFanFinley
12-19-2002, 09:45 PM
I love watching the Lakers lose. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Again, we watched another team do what the Mavs SHOULD have done. And that is that they kept running at the Lakers and didn't let up till the end.

And was it me or was Kobe a little ball hog tonight? I mean, he has gotten better about passing up his shot for someone else. But, Shaq was doing a good job, especially in the 2nd half and it seemed they wouldn't go to him enough.

Also have to give the Nets credit for playing Shaq tough, but still I thought it looked like the old Kobe tonight.

Chiwas
12-19-2002, 10:07 PM
<< I love watching the Lakers lose. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Again, we watched another team do what the Mavs SHOULD have done. And that is that they kept running at the Lakers and didn't let up till the end.

And was it me or was Kobe a little ball hog tonight? I mean, he has gotten better about passing up his shot for someone else. But, Shaq was doing a good job, especially in the 2nd half and it seemed they wouldn't go to him enough.

Also have to give the Nets credit for playing Shaq tough, but still I thought it looked like the old Kobe tonight. >>

Maybe they canīt get the playoffs. It seems that almost every team is knowing how to play lakers.

MavsFanFinley
12-19-2002, 10:35 PM
I'd be shocked if the Lakers didn't make the playoffs.

The key is whether they'll be in too big of a hole come February/March when they usually turn it on?

They have a favorable schedule in January and I think if they can just string a couple together they might just find their way back.

I hope not though.

LRB
12-19-2002, 11:02 PM
Do the lakers remind anyone else of the Cowboys when the team turned south under Barry. Overly inflated egos, age and injuries catching up, stagnate offense, toe injuries, talk of just needing to make playoffs and then turn it on. Hope Phil doesn't get snagged by airport security with a gun in his bag.

David
12-20-2002, 05:43 AM
<< Hope Phil doesn't get snagged by airport security with a gun in his bag. >>

I hope he DOES.i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif

ReggieThetaChi
12-20-2002, 07:50 AM
I am almost offended by the arrogance of the Lakers. The Lakers are not showing life behind them, nor are they getting better. Is anyone else baffled how the Lakers, who swept basically this same team (Nets) in the Finals, got blasted by them five months later? How bad is this team?

On another note, this just goes to show that it is a mental factor againts the Mavericks. The Lakers aren't nearly the force they were the past three years. They simply got in our guys' heads.

Thoughts?

MavKikiNYC
12-20-2002, 08:10 AM
Shaq is starting to look more and more selfish (or something) for not getting The Toe taken care of early in the offseason, leaving himself enough time to rehab and get into some kind of playing shape.

I think he has to shoulder a lot of the blame for their start. His absence has caused the team to start off toetally out of sync, and it's just getting worse as he tries to play his way back into shape while the team tries to play itself out of a hole. Once you let the chemistry genie out of the bottle, it's hard to get it back.

How about a little Zen-magic NOW, Phil?

TripleDipping
12-20-2002, 08:49 AM
The Lakers just had no desire to win right now... the game against New Jersey shows how lazy and unenthusiastic they are especially on the defensive end. With that said, you can bet they always get ultra pumped up when they play against Kings, Mavs or the Spurs. I wouldn't be surprise if they lose all the road games and pimp-slap Sacramento on X'mas day.
I do agree that they're in trouble right now because this is suppose to be the time they start &quot;flipping the switch&quot; but they're unable to do it. But I'm not going to cry for this team though... as a matter of fact, I'll pull a Steve Javie and say 'It's giving me absolute delight to watch you and your team die.' i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

WayOutWest
12-20-2002, 09:47 AM
<< Shaq is starting to look more and more selfish (or something) for not getting The Toe taken care of early in the offseason, leaving himself enough time to rehab and get into some kind of playing shape.

I think he has to shoulder a lot of the blame for their start. His absence has caused the team to start off toetally out of sync, and it's just getting worse as he tries to play his way back into shape while the team tries to play itself out of a hole. Once you let the chemistry genie out of the bottle, it's hard to get it back. >>

Most of the problems do rest on Shaq shoulders but the role players are not doing anything to help. I missed most of the game but the comments from the Laker announcers where that the Lakers did put in the effort the shots just weren't falling and their defense still isn't clicking. Kidd will absolutely pick apart most defenses and the Lakers halfarsed D should be easy picikings.

I can understand Shaq not wanting surgery until he tried every other option, surgery can be scary for some people. What I can't excuse is Shaq's weight. Durring the offseason I was so estatic to see Shaq had lost over 20lbs. It seemed like he was serious about the next season as Kobe was/is. Then after the surgery he comes in 25-30 lbs heavier. What was he thinking. He could diet for 2 weeks? COME ON!

Both the offense and defense is completely reliant on Shaq, when he's not performing the Lakers just don't work. The Laker perimeter defenders can be aggressive cause Shaq is back there protecting the basket and collecting the rebounds. On offense Shaq creates wide open looks for the Laker role players. While the offense is looking better the role players are not hitting wide open looks. The other thing that is killing the Lakers is a lack of rebouding from the 4 spot. If the Lakers make a move it should be at the PF spot. Problem is the Lakers have no trade bait. Shaq and Kobe aren't going anywhere and all the Laker role players are pretty old. The only players of value to other teams are D. George and K. Rush. Slava has potential but he's too much of a liability on defense. Not to mention who in their right mind is going to help the Lakers? If the Lakers are going to fix things it's gonna have to happen with the guys they have, it's time for a sack check.

<< How about a little Zen-magic NOW, Phil? >>

Tell me about it. I've always considered PJ a good coach cause of his motivational capabilities. I've never used the term &quot;genius&quot; for PJ, that term I reserve for Tex Winters, Pat Riley and Larry Brown but at the same time you can't question his ability to get the most out of his players. The BIGGEST problem with the Lakers right now is motivation and effort, that is something that PJ SHOULD be able to handle, so I'm with you on this one.....how about it PJ?

Dooby
12-20-2002, 10:10 AM
WOW, should the current malaise continue, do you see the Lakers making a move?

Personally, I don't. And I am not sure what they could add that would right the ship. I still think they are fine once they can make the playoffs. But at some point, they need to question (1) their ability to make a run as the 7th or 8th seed in the West; (2) the amount of strain they will be forced to put on Shaq to make the playoffs; and (3) whether they can make the playoffs at all.

I still think the make the playoffs, but the first 2 issues would concern me if I were a Laker fan.

WayOutWest
12-20-2002, 11:27 AM
<< WOW, should the current malaise continue, do you see the Lakers making a move? >>

I think they'll wait till the all-star break, see how things shape up. That's a double edged sword. If the Lakers pull out a few impressive wins, like Xmas day, they'll go back to their complacent ways. You could see it after the win over the Mavs, the team and fans had an attitude that they can still do it and no need to stir up the pot. That IMO is a very bad attitude. Even though I throughly enjoyed the win over the Mavs the next day I felt bad about the win, kinda like the feeling after going to to a strip bar. The win only cemented the &quot;all is ok&quot; attidude and I know that will hurt them in the long run. A couple of impressive wins here and there will not fix the obvious problems the Lakers have, same way winning the title last year kept Jerry Buss's check book closed, winning a few impressive games this year will only get the Lakers a 1st round exit.

<< Personally, I don't. And I am not sure what they could add that would right the ship. I still think they are fine once they can make the playoffs. But at some point, they need to question (1) their ability to make a run as the 7th or 8th seed in the West; (2) the amount of strain they will be forced to put on Shaq to make the playoffs; and (3) whether they can make the playoffs at all.

I still think the make the playoffs, but the first 2 issues would concern me if I were a Laker fan. >>

I really thought the Lakers would land either Popeye, Keon or Marshall after the close call last year vs. the Kings. Those guys came and went and the Lakers where stuck with Samaki again. The names being thrown around are Juwan Howard, Bo Outlaw, Aamare Stodamire(yea right!) and Harrington. Stodamire is going to be a star, Laker have nothing to offer for him. Can't fit Haward because of money. Harrington could be had but isn't much of an improvement. Bo Outlaw is probably the Lakers best bet. He's exactly what the Lakers need. I guy who carries his own luchbox to work and fights for 48 minutes. Don't know what the Lakers need to do to land him. Most likely the Lakeshow will play out this year, and probably lose, and see what's available in next year's FA market.

Making the playoffs is not a given in my book considering the way the Lakers are playing. If the Lakers make the playoffs and if Shaq gets back into shape the Lakers should be able to beat everyone except the Kings. If the Lakers meet the Mavs in the 1st round the Mavs will probably beat the Lakers but in a 7 game series the Lakers are too much for the Mavs and Spurs. Good or bad Shaq can make up for all the Laker short commings if he gets back into shape. I don't see it happening and I don't see it being enough to beat the Kings. The only thing that REALLY bothers me about the Lakers right now is their effort, as bad as everything else is I think they can play through it but the lack of effort is SHAMEFUL.

LRB
12-20-2002, 12:04 PM
Anybody know what Kobe has been smoking lately? Check out this quote of Kobe:

&quot;It was better tonight,&quot; Kobe Bryant told reporters, and two dozen faces contorted in a way that screamed, &quot;Say what?&quot;

&quot;I'll be totally honest with you -- we were better tonight,&quot; Bryant insisted. &quot;We didn't hang our heads, even when we made mistakes, even when we were down 15, 17 points. Nobody hung their heads. We kept playing. We actually started playing even harder. We didn't give up on the game.&quot;

This after the Lakers suffered their worst loss of the season. Maybe the Lakers need to get Stoudamire from Portland so that he can get Kobe some of the good stuff?

WayOutWest
12-20-2002, 12:15 PM
<< Anybody know what Kobe has been smoking lately? Check out this quote of Kobe:

&quot;It was better tonight,&quot; Kobe Bryant told reporters, and two dozen faces contorted in a way that screamed, &quot;Say what?&quot;

&quot;I'll be totally honest with you -- we were better tonight,&quot; Bryant insisted. &quot;We didn't hang our heads, even when we made mistakes, even when we were down 15, 17 points. Nobody hung their heads. We kept playing. We actually started playing even harder. We didn't give up on the game.&quot;

This after the Lakers suffered their worst loss of the season. Maybe the Lakers need to get Stoudamire from Portland so that he can get Kobe some of the good stuff? >>

You must not watch many Laker games. It's quite obvious what he was referring too. The Lakers have played without any effort all season long except for the 2nd Utah game. I was glad to see some effort from them even in a blowout. They need effort more than anything else at this point.

LRB
12-20-2002, 12:47 PM
<<

<< Anybody know what Kobe has been smoking lately? Check out this quote of Kobe:

This after the Lakers suffered their worst loss of the season. Maybe the Lakers need to get Stoudamire from Portland so that he can get Kobe some of the good stuff? >>

You must not watch many Laker games. It's quite obvious what he was referring too. The Lakers have played without any effort all season long except for the 2nd Utah game. I was glad to see some effort from them even in a blowout. They need effort more than anything else at this point. >>

WOW you're right, I haven't watched many Laker games this year. The point I was making was Kobe saying that the Lakers were better when they just had their worst loss of the season. They may have played harder, but it certainly didn't look to me like they were playing better. That is the kind of spin I hear all the time coming out of the Cowboys organization. IMO the Lakers are playing way under their talent level. Part of it is Shaq being out of shape. But I think most of it is just the Lakers underachieving. I'm sure the bad chemistry that they have going doesn't help any either.