PDA

View Full Version : Amare Stoudemire is a STUD!

ocelot_ark
12-31-2002, 01:56 PM
I hadn't had a chance to watch the upcoming Suns this season so I peaked over occasionally while they were playing the Wolves last night. Yeah...Stoudemire is scary good. Freaky good. He's already got more post game than any of our players. It also looks like he really loves the game, which spells trouble.

Believe it or not, I think the Suns have a very good chance of playing spoiler. After seeing Amare last night I'd rate him as the Suns 2nd best player behind Marion, above Starbury...scary.

OutletPass
12-31-2002, 03:30 PM
Yep...and he did a number on KG. Stuffed KG on one play, ran the court and posterized KG on the other end with a monster slam. I've had him on my 2 fantasy teams all year and he's developed incredibly. I've never seen someone hurt KG as badly as he did last night.

This guy is a freak, just like Dirk is a freak.

We're going to be hearing HUGE things about Amare from here on. Just a bit of time before he becomes absolutely dominant. You won't even believe him in about two years...I'll go on record as saying that he'll be better than KG has ever been (barring injury of course).

realclipsfan
12-31-2002, 06:16 PM
you sure you watched the game op? kg is a top 5 player(hands down, ask any gm that) theres only 4 guys that maybe better than kg

OutletPass
12-31-2002, 09:03 PM
Yep RCF, I sure did...taped it on Season Pass ...I've been watching Amare all year. I stand by what I said, of course...fully realizing how good KG is.

Here's the AP report:

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Kevin Garnett got the win, but no respect from former teammate Stephon Marbury. Suns guard Stephon Marbury drives against Kevin Garnett. After the game, the two traded verbal insults through the media. Garnett had 22 points and 14 rebounds to lead the Minnesota Timberwolves over the Phoenix Suns 104-98 Monday, snapping the Suns' five-game winning streak. Minnesota won despite a second-half rally by the Suns and a career-high 38 points from Phoenix rookie Amare Stoudemire.

After the game Marbury was asked to compare the 20-year-old Stoudemire to Garnett at the same age. "It's not even close," Marbury said. "He doesn't even compare to Amare. Two different people. It's like Michael Jordan and Mario Elie." When Marbury's comments were played back for Garnett, the Wolves star said: "This is Steph being jealous. I'm still on his mind. He used the young fellow to come at me."

Marbury and Garnett were close as teammates during Marbury's first two seasons in Minnesota, but grew apart. Marbury demanded a trade from the Wolves in 1999 and has had a chilly relationship with Garnett ever since.
"He's got three kids, a wife, a family, bills, all sorts of things. But I'm still on his mind, like a girl," Garnett said.

Meanwhile, the other subject of Marbury's comments, Stoudemire, earned the Wolves' respect. "It doesn't matter how old he is," the Wolves' Kendall Gill said. "He's a true stud." The rookie shot 16-for-24 from the field, showing off his great leaping ability and toughness around the basket. "I think I can be pretty good - after I get the fundamentals down and get comfortable out there," he said. "This shows all my hard work is paying off. I'll just try to get even better."

Stoudemire scored 23 of his points in the first half, but that only served to energize the Wolves, who led 58-40 at halftime. "You don't want to let anyone come into your building -- especially a rookie -- and do the things he did," Minnesota's Joe Smith said.

And an ESPN INSIDER column:

Will Amare Stoudemire change the game?

After members of the vaunted high senior school class of 2001 Kwame Brown, Tyson Chandler, Eddy Curry, DeSagana Diop laid a big goose egg their rookie year, it didn't come as a major surprise that only one high school senior, Amare Stoudemire, was selected in this year's draft.

Two months into the season, however, Stoudemire's play may re-open the floodgates for high school players. Stoudemire dropped a career-high 38 points and 14 rebounds on the Minnesota Timberwolves Monday night. What made his performance so impressive was that at times, he was dominating Kevin Garnett, the last high school senior to make a big impact his rookie year. At one point, Stoudemire stuffed a Garnett dunk on one end and then jammed it over KG and several other Wolves players on the other end. After the game, he had players and coaches alike tripping over themselves in a rush to declare him the next great thing.

Suns chairman Jerry Colangelo called Stoudemire the best player the Suns have ever drafted. Kendall Gill said he's never seen another player like him. "I've never seen in my career someone jump that quickly and with that kind of power," Gill marveled. "He's a true stud. You need three guys to guard him because we tried two all night and that certainly didn't work."

Wolves coach Flip Saunders was able to come up with a comparison. "He plays like a man," Wolves coach Flip Saunders said of the 20-year-old Stoudemire. "I thought he was a combination of Karl Malone and Shawn Kemp. He has Kemp's explosiveness and high-wire act. He has Malone's temperament, strength and meanness, rebounding-wise."

Suns coach Frank Johnson was livid after the game that his players didn't give him the ball even more. That's right, Johnson wanted proven veterans like Stephon Marbury, Shawn Marion and Penny Hardaway giving up the rock to the high school kid. "They couldn't stop him," he said. "What we didn't do is recognize that when he's got it going like that, you've got to feed the monster."

You can say all you want about Marbury, Hardaway and Marion's stellar play this season, but the real reason that Suns are off to such a huge start is Stoudemire. He energizes the club in a way that no one has for a long time. The Suns have been searching for a low-post stud ever since Antonio McDyess bolted for Denver.

They've found him. And what a find it is.

Stoudemire slipped a bit on draft day due to questions about his background and the level of competition he played against. No one doubted his athleticism, but several teams who worked him out said his basketball skills were extremely raw. He was so strong in high school he didn't have to do anything more than dunk over skinny 6-foot-6 kids. He never really developed the array of low-post moves he needed to excel in the league. However, no one questioned his talent.

Pacers GM Donnie Walsh told me before the draft that Yao Ming and Stoudemire were the two kids in the draft who had the ability to redefine their positions. That's understandable for Yao, who at 7-foot-5, is the most skilled giant to come our way in a long time. But Stoudemire? Walsh reasoned that the combination of his athleticism, power and aggressive nature would be too much for most of the league to handle. NBA fours have evolved over the years. Three-fours like Garnett and Chris Webber now dominate the league. There hasn't been someone with such a combination of power and speed to come along since . . . Shaq. Could Stoudemire someday dominate his position the same way the big fella dominates the middle?

LRB
12-31-2002, 09:46 PM
OP: Didn't the AP get suspended earlier this season for disagreeing with one of our posters? i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Seriously, great article. I don't get to watch that many games besides the Mavs and really appreciate the insite from other members of the board. Especially the articles. Save me much time in surfing for them which is a good thing with a slow connection.

MFFL
12-31-2002, 10:16 PM
<< Suns coach Frank Johnson was livid after the game that his players didn't give him the ball even more. That's right, Johnson wanted proven veterans like Stephon Marbury, Shawn Marion and Penny Hardaway giving up the rock to the high school kid. &quot;They couldn't stop him,&quot; he said. &quot;What we didn't do is recognize that when he's got it going like that, you've got to feed the monster.&quot; >>

Sigh. A coach that forces the ball to the hot player. Maybe one day we'll get one of those in Dallas.

realclipsfan
12-31-2002, 11:27 PM
well p, obviously u did not because trent started on him, and was on him every time he was in there. you make it seem like he torched kg when that wasnt the case at all.

lrb, correct me if i'm wrong but didnt the league show how wrong the article was?????????????? come again

Nash13
12-31-2002, 11:39 PM
Amare to me has been a better rookie than the overrated YAO. And to me, the Suns are the 3rd best team in the league now after Dallas and Sac-town.

OutletPass
01-01-2003, 02:07 AM
LRB...I think that when DJ lifted the bans, he allowed the AP back in, but they'll probably get banned again. They're just so terrible...I mean they're trash...ever since they moved their office from Denver to Dallas last February, they've stunk and I've been extremely disappointed. They're just trash...and can't produce...they can't get anything right.

ROFLMAO at the Red Flag post above...presuming to know what I watched...Guess it must be my wife posting under that name...naw, she can spell and use grammar....

Later.

Evilmav2
01-01-2003, 02:32 AM
Thanks for the article's Outlet...

As far as the previously banned poontangs are concerned (and I don't mean you Mavs#1Fan) the stench of their farts and bleats are best left ignored...

LRB
01-01-2003, 04:09 AM
<< lrb, correct me if i'm wrong >>

RCF: Hmmmmm. I'll pass, I really have other things to do in 2003.

OP: The problem you have in viewing games is purely a technological one. If you purchase one of the newer HDTV capbable TV's and subscribe to any of the major cable or satellite services there is a new sports vision subscription that you can get. This is available with Season Pass, but you have to ask for it. It goes by sevral different names with the various services. Just ask for the special sports vision package that allows you to see things properly. They'll know what you are talking about. You will need to buy a special conververter box, available at any radio shack for $39.95. I have seen it slightly cheaper on the internet. Each service uses a slightly modified version, but they are basically all the same. Anyways with your new TV, subscription, and converter you will be able to watch the games and replays in Super Slow Motion and really see what happens. BTW when watching the Mavs play you will occasionally see only 4 players on the court and a #45 Mavs jersey filled with trash. Don't be alarmed, the trash in the #45 jerseyis Raef LaFrentz. Let me know how things turn out once you get your new service hooked up. Oh and happy New Year.

realclipsfan
01-01-2003, 05:55 AM
lol, just watch the game instead of reading boxscores is all i ask. dont speculate that kg guarded him, just watch the game is all you have to do.

OutletPass
01-01-2003, 06:22 PM
Hey Evil...hope you're feeling well after last night's celebrations...don't mean to feed that one...I went out on him weeks ago, but felt like a last post for the old year was warranted. Something before a ban !

LRB - I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Outside material interests me and I do a LOT of reading...and WATCHING...and I'll stand by what I said about Amare. Posters who can actually read know exactly what I said and didn't say.

With that, It's time to get back to the Mavs.

Drbio
01-01-2003, 08:02 PM
Oh great...the ultra-intelligent &quot;just watch the games&quot; retort.

Drbio
01-01-2003, 08:09 PM
And back to the original topic.....Amare is indeed a stud and will be for a long time in htis league if he can stay healthy.

OutletPass
01-01-2003, 11:46 PM
Ocelot, you really should give the Suns a watch...they're playing really well and I'm SURE Gug's foot is going to keep hurting for a LONG time.

For some SICK reason, I'm also enjoying the GS games. They don't have their *&amp;%* together at all, but Boykins, Arenas, Jamison/Richardson, Murphy, and the 13 yr old Dunleavy kid are just plain fun. You never Do know what's going to happen next.

Even sicker, Bulls and Cavs are actually fun, too. Got to give some props to young guys like Ricky D, Boozer, Fizer, and (maybe) Chandler.

Now I'm just talking FUN...not great games by any means.

But if ya' want to watch a PLAYER, yea, Amare's your Man.

The Crippler
01-02-2003, 04:17 PM
doc, just watch the game, damnit.

BrianJ
01-02-2003, 10:29 PM
Got to agree that he is a stud. Watching part of the suns game on TNT. He looks like a young shaq. Well maybe not the 7foot 9 635lb stupid ape but as close as a younger player can. Perobably a better comparison would be a young Shawn Kemp.

Drbio
01-03-2003, 10:41 AM
<< doc, just watch the game, damnit. >>

i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

MavKikiNYC
01-03-2003, 10:47 AM
He does look tough. Barkley pointed out post-game that Stoudamire's already 20-years old, suggesting that he's more physically mature than players like Kwame Brown or Jermaine O'Neal who also came straight out of high school, but were only 18.

Anybody think the Rockets should've taken Stoudamire over Yao Ming? Take a player who can basically step in right now and provide high-powered inside game versus the potential of a once-in-a-generation 7.5 player?

Just posing the question.

Drbio
01-03-2003, 10:53 AM
I think Houston made the right pick. You have to take a 7 footer with all the hype. They just don't come around that often. And now that we know how Yao has played, it further underscores the validity of the pick IMO. But Amare is amazing.

BiteMeVescey
01-03-2003, 02:00 PM
<< Got to agree that he is a stud. Watching part of the suns game on TNT. He looks like a young shaq. Well maybe not the 7foot 9 635lb stupid ape but as close as a younger player can. Perobably a better comparison would be a young Shawn Kemp. >>

As long as he doesn't develop those Shawn Kemp eating habits. Supersize those onion rings Mr. Kemp? What toppings do you want in your stuffed pizza Mr. Kemp?

OutletPass
01-03-2003, 05:47 PM
-- Naw, the Rox took the right guy. Always have to go for that kind of center if you get the chance. But Amare should have been the next pick, hands down. I'm not going to use this space to dawg, J. Williams or any of the other picks...but Yao and Amare have &quot;Special&quot; written all over them...

LRB
01-29-2003, 01:05 AM
Stoudemire's unpolished skills
Luke Cyphers
ESPN The Magazine

Amare Stoudemire isn't embarrassed. &quot;You could say I'm raw,&quot; he says.

Yeah, and so is a freshly mined 20-carat diamond. There are some rough edges in the Phoenix Suns forward's game. So what?

Phoenix phenom Amare Stoudemire is drawing double teams as a rookie.
That's the consensus of the people in the Suns' front office, which drafted him, and Orlando general manager John Gabriel, who wanted to draft him.

&quot;The thing he has that you can't replicate is energy, drive, and a reckless abandon and passion for the game,&quot; says Gabriel, who made an effort to trade up for Stoudemire last summer. &quot;Combine that with his God-given ability, and the sky's the limit.&quot;

After a half-season in the league, Stoudemire's rebounding and thunderous finishing have made him the steal of the draft and a contender in what's shaping up as an Affirmed-Alydar race for Rookie of the Year with Yao Ming.

He has shortcomings, say coaches and scouts:

He's still figuring out what to do with double teams -- how to recognize and anticipate them, how to pass out of them, when to repost in the block.

Defensively, he still gets lost at times.

He's almost entirely right-handed, and a veteran like Karl Malone knows how to strip him of his dribble.

He doesn't have a jumper yet.

Again, so what?

&quot;What he's done has been remarkable when you factor in what he has had to absorb,&quot; Suns general manager Bryan Colangelo said. &quot;He's learning things like team defense, and new rules that don't allow you to stay in the lane on defense. Until this fall, he's effectively been playing with zero rules. There will be bumps in the road, but he's done a tremendous job of adapting.&quot;

For every negative, the Suns anticipate a positive. Take the double teams. The fact that Stoudemire draws them means he's far exceeded anyone's expectations for his rookie year -- and his learning curve so far indicates he'll learn how to deal with them soon enough.

On defense, he makes up for his lapses with his effort, which combined with his long arms and athleticism, leads to blocked and altered shots. He's so quick to his right, all he needs to perfect is a dribble or two to his left to flummox most power forwards. The Magic's Gabriel doesn't think that will be a problem for him.

(Stoudemire) carries the same quickness and high-speed agility in everything he does. He accelerates through every part of the game, with or without the ball, and you can't say that about many people his size.
John Gabriel

&quot;He carries the same quickness and high-speed agility in everything he does,&quot; Gabriel said. &quot;He accelerates through every part of the game, with or without the ball, and you can't say that about many people his size.&quot;

He's already developed a nifty little jump hook inside, and every once in a while shows a one-hand runner that calls to mind George McGinnis -- or a kid with a Nerf ball. Expect a real jumper to develop eventually. Guys who practice against him say Stoudemire's release point is a bit low, a habit from being the tallest guy on the high-school court, but his form is fine.

&quot;The question you ask when you try to anticipate how a guy will improve is 'Is the base solid enough to build on?' &quot; Gabriel said. &quot;With him, it is. Just take a look at his free throws -- 67 percent. That's really good for a rookie.&quot;

About the only thing that can stop Stoudemire's development is a runaway ego or a lush life. But he's shown no signs of succumbing. Coaches and opponents universally praise his professionalism, and Stoudemire lights up when asked what he's trying to improve. &quot;I'm working on a one-dribble pull-up,&quot; he says, &quot;and the coaches are showing me how to make good crisp moves.&quot;

In other words, look out. That big rough diamond in Phoenix wants to get polished.

Luke Cyphers writes for ESPN the Magazine.

jayC
01-29-2003, 01:06 PM
Not yet. And they haven't wrapped up a playoff apearence yet. No doubt he is good but he will have a hard time cracking the top five powerforwards in this league at least until Webber retires or gets arrested.

Duncan
Webber
KG
Dirk
Brand

All five are double double guys, all except for Webber are under 30. KG is unbelievable. Dirk just needs to be the captain on this team not Findawg.

Brand not the most exciting player but he is still a solid 20pt 10 rebound guy. I still would take Yao because of his incredible size and athletic ability for a man his size. I still like Marbury he is a scoring machine what he put 40pts and 11 assists incredible.

Clip fan must be nice watching all the talent always leave Clipperdom. Maybe if he opened his wallet they would be good instead of wanting to jumpship.