PDA

View Full Version : The official Lakers Playoff Chase

grbh
01-05-2003, 03:43 AM
lakers lost tonight. Going forward I will post the score, and high scores every nigh.

Please limit this thread to scores onlyu. I will see you Sunday.

Lakers now 14 1/2 games back of the Mavs at 13 - 20.
They are now 4-6 in their last 10 and play Phoenix again on Sunday in LA.
To get to 45 wins, LA must play at 65.3 from here on.
LA has to displace 4 teams to get into 8th place !!

Chiwas
01-05-2003, 10:57 AM
<< Please limit this thread to scores only >>

http://www.dallas-mavs.com/forums/i/authorsicons/blindfold.gif

I feel like the icon, grbh, but mouthfolded (or fingersholded). i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

A faked score: 2-0 !

OutletPass
01-05-2003, 08:23 PM
How about a question ?

GRBH, why did you lift my post on another thread, word for word, and insert it here ? At least , you could acknowledge it as coming from me. I posted these EXACT words 2-3 hours before your post, in the &quot;Games Around the League&quot; thread. What's up with this ?

BrianJ
01-05-2003, 09:29 PM
GRBH that don't post here will hold up about as well as a little kid being told to close their eyes while watching a nusity scene during a PG 13 movie.
Anyways the bad guys are up by six at the half. This thread will die in about a month when it becomes abundantly clear the lakers will not make the 8th spot.

grbh
01-06-2003, 12:11 AM
Outlet, not trying to plagerize. I thought it was good information and I copied it to start this thread. I thought we could have some fun with it over the next couple of months.

Didn't think it would be a big deal. You provided good information so I used it. I though it would be a good quick simple format to post in this thread. If I did offend you by using that information, I apologize, not my intention

Brian, think twice before you try to insinuate my intentions. I wasn't trying to pull a fast one. and I believe most people on this board would agree that is not in my character.

grbh
01-06-2003, 12:21 AM
Lakers beat Suns tonight.

Lakers now 14 games back of the Mavs at 14 - 20.
They are now 5-5 in their last 10 and play Seattle at home on Tuesday.
To get to 45 wins, LA must play at 64.5 from here on.

LRB
01-06-2003, 12:32 AM
grbh: how about adding how many games behind the current 8th place team the Fakers are with the stats for each game?

grbh
01-06-2003, 07:52 AM
Lakers now 14 games back of the Mavs at 14 - 20.
To get to 45 wins, LA must play at 64.5 from here on.

Lakers are 4 Games back from the 8 seed.

Box Score (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/scores/20030105/pholal.html)

OutletPass
01-06-2003, 10:47 AM
No problem GRBH...not offended...just quizzical.

TripleDipping
01-06-2003, 11:15 AM
Call me crazy but at this point I'd really like to see the Mavs play the Lakers in the first round of the playoffs. With home-court advantage I think the Mavs can beat the Lakers in 5 games.
Does anyone really think the Lakers won't make the playoffs? C'mon... they may suck now but you'll really have to suck very bad in order not to make the playoffs. IMO one of the current 7th-8th teams in WC (Rockets and Wolves) will be bumped out of the playoffs by the Lakers. The willpower (and egos???) of Jackson, Shaq and Kobe will not let the Lakers miss the playoffs... although deep in my subconsciousness I perversely hope they will miss. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Just211
01-06-2003, 11:22 AM
I would like to see the Lakers make the playoffs, and somehow match up against Houston. A Yoa-Shaq, Francis-Kobe match-up would be a great series. But other than that, I want to see them finish 1/2 a game out of the playoffshttp://www.dallas-mavs.com/forums/i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

grbh
01-06-2003, 11:28 AM
Thanks Outlet

I still believe the Lakers will make the playoffs. I would love to see them miss though. They have to play some solid ball, but I think they have that in them.

Still should be fun to watch even if we are looking at playoff positioning for the Lakers in a couple of months.

Chiwas
01-06-2003, 02:06 PM
<< The willpower (and egos???) of Jackson, Shaq and Kobe will not let the Lakers miss the playoffs... although deep in my subconsciousness I perversely hope they will miss. >>

I'm going to arrange it: &quot;The egos of Jackson, Shaq and Kobe will not let the Lakers get the playoffs...&quot;. I feel better.

grbh
01-08-2003, 08:42 AM
Lakers now 14 games back of the Mavs at 15 - 20.
To get to 45 wins, LA must play at 63.9 from here on.
LA has to displace 2 teams to get into 8th place !!

Lakers are 3.0 Games back from the 8 seed.

In other news Kobe hit 12 3s last night an NBA record, including 9 straight.

BrianJ
01-08-2003, 08:53 AM
Grbh I just knew my post was gouing to come back to haunt me. You know that scene in Major League where they rip an article of clothing of the chic evry time they win. This just seems counter productive. Plus you appear to be fueling the Lakers moojoo and making my prediction look Waltonish

grbh
01-08-2003, 09:06 AM
It should be fun to watch where the Lakers land, and I agree with you they probably will make the playoffs (barring an injury to Shaq and Kobe).

Regardless it should be fun to watch were they land. If the Lakers get real hot, I could see some teams scrambling for position to avoid playing L.A. in the first round.

Fidel
01-08-2003, 08:18 PM
<< In other news Kobe hit 12 3s last night an NBA record, including 9 straight. >>

Ive just seen those 3s in a short game recap. It was unbelievable. All 12 were nothing but net. All 12. None of those shots touched the rim. Some where from a good distance behind the 3 point line. Wow.

Murphy3
01-08-2003, 09:34 PM
impressive, considering the guy isn't a good three point shooter

Chiwas
01-09-2003, 11:36 AM
<< I could see some teams scrambling for position to avoid playing L.A. in the first round. >>

We didn't do any good about it last season, I mean, to lose the #2 and #3 seeds in the last month wasnt smart if planned.

grbh
01-11-2003, 01:52 AM
Lakers win tonight 115-99 over the Cavs

Lakers now 14.5 games back of the Mavs at 16 - 20.
They play Seattle at home on Tuesday.
To get to 45 wins, LA must play at 63.0 from here on.
LA has to displace 2 teams to get into 8th place !!

Lakers are 3.5 Games back from the 8 seed.

MFFL
01-12-2003, 08:30 AM
In 96-97, three teams from the West made the playoffs with less than a .500 record. The Clips were the 8th seed with 36 wins. Maybe the 8th seed might have 40 wins this year.

grbh
01-13-2003, 05:45 AM
Lakers win tonight 106-81 over the Heat

Lakers now 14.5 games back of the Mavs at 17 - 20.
To get to 45 wins, LA must play at 62.2 from here on.
LA has to displace 1 team to get into 8th place

Lakers are 2.5 Games back from the 8 seed.

MFFL
01-13-2003, 09:30 AM
You might consider dropping this thread - since you started it the Lakers have won 6 0f 7 and have moved into 9th place. Weird.

grbh
01-25-2003, 04:43 PM
Lakers lose last night to the Nets.

lakers now 15 games back of the Mavs at 19 - 23.
They are now 6-4 in their last 10 and play the Suns on Wednesday in Phoenix.
To get to 45 wins, LA must play at 65% from here on.
LA has to displace 2 teams to get into 8th place
Lakes are 5 games back from the 8 seed.

I think the next 8-10 games ought to tell us if this team will get it together for the playoffs.

@ Phoenix
@ Sacramento (back to back front)
Utah (back end)
@Indiana
@ New York
Denver (back to back front end)
@ Denver (back end)
San Antonio

Pretty tough stretch of games.

BrianJ
01-25-2003, 10:35 PM
damn Denver, still think we play the blazers in the playoffs for some reason. Be ready for some fighting if they lose there next 3. Appropriately enough the mavs will not play the fakers in the playoff. But couls seal there fate with 2 late season games.

TripleDipping
01-27-2003, 10:10 AM
I know that the Lakers had torubles with their regular seasons in the past two years. I'm not sure how bad they were... anyone know how much behind the pack they were and still managed to become the 1st. or 2nd. playoff seed?

grbh
01-27-2003, 04:22 PM
The Lakers have had their problems during the regular season, although obviously nothing this pronounced.

Here is a sample of their records:

Feb 1, 2002.. 32-12. Remember the got of to a great start like 16-1 or something. Then they struggled through the middle part of the season, and I believe closed out OK.

Can't find standings for 2000-2001 season, but I believe the Lakers got in a mid season rut that year also. The pulled out of it though, and won like 10 straight, or 10 of 11 going into the playoffs. Of course that is the year they steamrolled everyone going 15-1 in the playoffs.

Dooby
02-03-2003, 09:27 AM
Lakers now have sole position of 9th Place and are 3.5 games back of Houston. Maybe we should tank the last game against Houston.

I was thinking about this. If I were the Lakers, and if there was any team I would rather face in a 5 game series as opposed to a 7 game series, it would be the Kings. But I am not sure about this. Any thoughts?

TripleDipping
02-03-2003, 10:31 AM
I think Lakers would prefer a 7-gamer against the Kings because Sacramento will be full of confidence and energy in the playoffs. The only thing that Lakers have against them is a long and close playoff matchup that will rattle the Kings' psyche like last year.

Do you think tanking a single game against Houston will make the difference for Lakers between making the playoffs or not? If both Dallas and Sacramento tank their games against Houston then maybe LA will not get the 8th seed. Would you like to accomplish a playoff dream by doing that? Someone may say, &quot;Who cares? Winning is everything.&quot; But I'd rather take the high road and see the our guys play their best games in the regular season and see where the chips land us.

TripleDipping
02-03-2003, 11:01 AM
Funny scenario: Lakers make it to the 8th seed and both Mavs and Kings engage in tank-fests by the end of season to avoid a 1st-8th seed matchup with LA.

Chiwas
02-03-2003, 11:53 AM
It is likely that Lakers get an upper seed, #7 or #6.

LRB
02-03-2003, 03:23 PM
To hell with the Fakers. We should play all our games to win regardless of who we might face in the 1st round. If we purposeful lose games to avoid the Lakers in the 1st round and go on to win the championship the we deserve to have a huge asterick placed beside our title becasue we just won't be champions in my mind. i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif

This idea will make our team afraid and scared. Talk about taking the confidence out of them. And just supose what advantage the Lakers would have if they faced us despite our best efforts at tanking games. No thank you to this stategy.

Now if Nellie wants to rest players for the playoffs and we have a big lead in the standings that is a horse of a different color. But the players we do put out there better damn sure be giving it their best to win or I will be seriously pissed off as a fan.

It's time the Mavs learned to suck it up and beat the big boys when it counts. We'll never learn this lesson if we're running scared of the big bad Laker man. So Shaq, Kobe, PJ and the rest can bring it. We play whats best for our seeding and getting our players rest, and to hell with who we will play.

TripleDipping
02-03-2003, 03:31 PM
Dooby: I've always liked your signature line. So allow me to say this to you now, &quot;At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.&quot; i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Dooby
02-12-2003, 01:22 PM
In all likelyhood, the Lakers will beat Houston on the 18th and take possession of 8th place in the West.

BrianJ
02-13-2003, 11:45 PM
can't someone kill this thread. It was really cool when it lookedlike they were going to crumble. Now its just depressing.

My prediction was pathetic to say the least. I still believe we play portland in the 1st round. They are 2 games away from a meltdown. Also from here on out the bottom teams records will improve dramatically where as the tops should just aboout stay even.

BrianJ
02-13-2003, 11:50 PM
grbh u are fueling the mojoo. &quot;Oh I think these next 7 games will be tough for the lakers&quot; what happened 7 game win streak. Knock off this voodoo shit.

grbh
02-14-2003, 08:11 AM
That's why I stopped updating. It looked to be a tough stretch for the Lakers. It appears now though that this team finally has their act together.

WayOutWest
02-14-2003, 10:19 AM
As happy as I am to see the Lakers turn things around I still don't think they can beat the Kings or even Portland at this point. Versus Portland I think the Blazers will have their yearly implosion around playoff time. A team like SA could really burry the Blazers if they face each other in a 4-5 seeding match up. Those two teams are the only threats to LA, everyone else, and I do mean everyone, will wilt like daisies.

BrianJ
02-16-2003, 09:23 PM
The Lakers down 3 at the half. W/o Shaq they could be in serious trouble. They are on a homefront and play houston on Tuesday which could be huge. If they could only keep Shaq out for the next 6 games then they would have one hell of a time getting into the playoffs because of 2 extremely long road trips. Never to proud to dump a bucket of hatorade on the lakers.

Nash13
02-16-2003, 09:32 PM
<< As happy as I am to see the Lakers turn things around I still don't think they can beat the Kings or even Portland at this point. Versus Portland I think the Blazers will have their yearly implosion around playoff time. A team like SA could really burry the Blazers if they face each other in a 4-5 seeding match up. Those two teams are the only threats to LA, everyone else, and I do mean everyone, will wilt like daisies. >>

I know what you're implying. I honestly am not trying to be funny or sarcastic, but who have the Lakers beat in the playoffs the past 3 yr besides SAC, SA, and Portland? People don't know who else the Lakers can beat if they play the same teams?

DTL
02-16-2003, 10:48 PM
Congratulations to Allan Houston (53 pts!) and the Knicks for knocking off the Kobe-led, Shaq-less Lakers in Staples tonight.

BrianJ
02-16-2003, 10:50 PM
fakers lose! fakers lose! only one game over .500

Surely I have failed many a class on morals and ethics, but where the hell is the excitement? This is more important then any mavs win.

LRB
02-16-2003, 10:57 PM
Shaq's injuries will make this an interesting race down to the wire. I would love for us to get the Lakers in the 1st round and then see Shaq go out with an injury.

DTL
02-16-2003, 11:47 PM
<< Shaq's injuries will make this an interesting race down to the wire. I would love for us to get the Lakers in the 1st round and then see Shaq go out with an injury. >>

didn't know you were such a schemer, LRB i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Dooby
02-18-2003, 08:00 AM
Well, today is the day. Lakers have tanked the last 2 games. If they don't beat Houston tonight, it gets real interesting. Houston would own the tiebreaker against the Lakers. Hard to believe, but a Laker-less playoffs is still possible.

TripleDipping
02-18-2003, 08:33 AM
I CAN'T STAND THE EXCITEMENT!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

ames7
02-18-2003, 10:32 PM
What's up w/the Rockets losing to all the bad teams? They dropped one to the Heat earlier this week. They're leading Shaq-less Lakers by 1 right now...

MFFL
02-18-2003, 11:42 PM
It's hard to watch the Laker/Rocket game. The announcers are sucking up to Kobe SOO much it is sickening. &quot;Kobe's hurt, look at him limp&quot;

ARGH!

Evilmav2
02-19-2003, 12:14 AM
What a heckuva game this is... double OT and still neck and neck...

Evilmav2
02-19-2003, 12:15 AM
Kobe just hit 48... Lets see if he is able to beat that Allen Houston score from last night...

ames7
02-19-2003, 12:30 AM
Well crap. Lakers win. Tied for 8th w/Houston. Dammit, Rockets. Didn't get the memo about how Shaq wasn't even playing.

BrianJ
02-19-2003, 12:34 AM
for anyone who watched the game that was the most dispicable act of faking injuries I have ever seen. U think with all the practice he has had he would at least be good at it by now.

The rockets really really suck if by some miracle the get to the 8th spot we will win every game by double digits. Damn it.

LRB
02-19-2003, 12:50 AM
You know if Kobe comes down with an elbow injury to his right arm I might actually believe him for once with the way he has been jacking shots up lately.

BrianJ
02-19-2003, 12:51 AM
Either that or back spasms and a torn rotator cuff from patting himself on the back so much.

Epitome22
02-19-2003, 02:21 AM
I dunno about him faking Injuries in the past but he genuinely did look pretty hurt out there. His movements were more guarded and slow on defense. On offense he couldn't get to the rack as easily as he usually does. He was pretty much restricted to being a jumpshooter tonight because of his knee, getting alot off pick and rolls so he could get open looks and shooting 20 footers rather than getting his own shot and taking it closer to the basket. With Shaq playing on one leg and kobe playing on one and a half legs the Lakers are in trouble again. The only other Laker guard who can put the ball on the floor and remotely get his own shot is Kareem Rush, and there's a big gap between Kobe Bryant and Kareem Rush. As for him Jacking up so many shots, The Lakers don't have much choice. And If He keeps making shots at the rate he is lately than why not?

TripleDipping
02-19-2003, 09:25 AM
Yesterday's game makes me dislike the Rockets more. What ingrades. Can't even beat Leakers without Shaq. Both Francis and Mobley should put more time in their game than thrash talk perhaps?

Max Power
01-12-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by: grbh
Monday January 13, 2003 5:45 AM

Lakers win tonight 106-81 over the Heat

Lakers now 14.5 games back of the Mavs at 17 - 20.
To get to 45 wins, LA must play at 62.2 from here on.
LA has to displace 1 team to get into 8th place

Lakers are 2.5 Games back from the 8 seed.

bumped to show that your record in January means nothing when the playoffs roll around.

Shaq Attack2
01-13-2004, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by: Max Power

bumped to show that your record in January means nothing when the playoffs roll around.

Yup, well said.