PDA

View Full Version : Camby injured 17 seconds after Nuggets debut

Dooby
01-18-2003, 10:41 AM
Camby makes first start of season for Nuggets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

DENVER -- Denver Nuggets forward/center Marcus Camby, sidelined all season following hip surgery, started Friday night against the Cleveland Cavaliers but was injured 17 seconds into the game.

Camby returned to the game at the start of the second quarter, grabbing a rebound and then hitting a baseline jumper.

After picking up a quick foul in the first quarter, Camby collided with a Cleveland player following a free throw and limped off the court, apparently injuring his ankle.

He hobbled to the locker room moments later.

Camby, who underwent surgery on Oct. 10 and missed the first 38 games, was activated off the injured list before the game.

Earlier Friday, Camby said he hoped to play Monday at Washington but wouldn't know for sure until after practice Sunday.

The Nuggets also activated forward Chris Anderson off the injured list. Anderson had missed the last 22 games since breaking his right thumb on Nov. 29.

The 6-foot-11 Camby was acquired by the Nuggets in a draft day trade in June involving Antonio McDyess, Mark Jackson and several draft choices.

He played in a career-low 29 games last season, suffering an injury to his right hip on Feb. 1 which sidelined him the remainder of the year. He averaged 11.1 points and 11.1 rebounds last season and has averaged 11.5 points and 8.1 rebounds over his six-year career.

"We're one of the best defensive teams in the league in terms of forcing turnovers and points allowed and rebounding, and yet we've played without two players,'' Nuggets coach Jeff Bzdelik said before the game.

"Chris Andersen and Marcus Camby are two of the best shot-blockers in the league. So, as we get those players back, that will only enhance our ability to defend and rebound.''

MavKikiNYC
01-18-2003, 10:49 AM
This sounds fishy to me. Camby wants out of Denver, and has been taking his good, sweet time about coming off IR. On the other hand :17 is a pretty typical month's work for him.

What a loser, namby-pamby-bambi-cottoncamby.

Drbio
01-18-2003, 11:51 AM
Please show me a quote where Camby has said that he wants out of Denver. That is against every quote that I have read about him. In every article that I have seen he has stated that he hopes to play for Denver. He is friends with Kiki Vandeweghe and has friends on the roster. He is consistently quoted as wanting to stay. With that said...I do not like Camby, but give us a quote or stop the incorrect speculation. I have seen it all over the place and it's just not accurate.

MavKikiNYC
01-18-2003, 12:09 PM
Doc, the few stories I've seen have emphasized that Camby is trying not to rock the boat out there, but that he does want out-- that he misses the East coast, doesn't have the personality to be the leader the young Nugs need, doesn't see a role for himself on the team, and isn't enthusiastic about going through the upcoming Denver rebuild.

I'll concede that I haven't read a quote directly attributed to Camby--but I think the stories are more than speculation.

And ... :17?

Murphy3
01-18-2003, 09:33 PM
sounds more like it's just your opinion that camby wants out..but, i can imagine just about everyone wants out..

however, NY probably isn't the place camby would want to be

MFFL
01-19-2003, 01:40 AM
LINK (http://insidedenver.com/drmn/sports_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_83_1679545,00.html)

Chamber of Camby

Marcus Camby appears to be campaigning for a position with the Denver Chamber of Commerce.

Earlier this week, The New York Times reported that the Nuggets center dislikes Denver "intensely." The paper quoted Knicks forward Latrell Sprewell, his good friend and former teammate, as saying, "I knew he wouldn't like it out there."

Not so, says Camby.

"I love Denver," said Camby, acquired from New York in June. "There's been a lot said about me not being happy here. A lot of it was taken out of context. I tried to explain to everybody that I grew up in Connecticut, I went to school at (Massachusetts). I spent my whole life on the East Coast. It's a big adjustment coming out here."

Camby, who initially questioned the trade of James Posey last month, admits some of his grumbling has had to do with the frustration about missing the first three months of the season after undergoing hip surgery. Camby said he's not pushing for a trade even though rumors have swirled that he is on the block.

"This is where I want to be," Camby said. "I want to play for Kiki (Vandeweghe, the team's general manager). He's a great guy."

A Portland radio station reported earlier this week that the Nuggets have had discussions with the Trail Blazers and the Los Angeles Lakers about Camby. Vandeweghe said he hasn't talked to those teams about Camby, but he admitted other teams, which he wouldn't name, have called about him.

Vandeweghe said the Nuggets "aren't looking" to deal Camby, but he wouldn't say with certainty that Camby will be on the team after the Feb. 20 trading deadline. As is the case with any player, Vandeweghe said the Nuggets would make a deal if it was "too good to refuse."

Of course, until he shows he has returned from his hip problems, no team would give up much for Camby, who is making $6.75 million this season, will make $7.25 million next season and has a player option for 2004-05 worth $7.75 million. Camby could return as soon as Monday at Washington.

On Wednesday, the Nuggets will play at New York, a game Camby long has been eyeing. Considering all the hoopla involved, though, Vandeweghe said the Nuggets "don't want that to be his first game."

Camby calls it "50-50" he'll play against the Wizards. If not, the earliest he will return is Jan. 24, at Boston.

"If it happens, it happens," Camby said about playing against the Knicks. "If it doesn't, it doesn't. I was pressed when I first got here. I wanted to play against my former teammates. But now I'm worried about my health more."

Regardless of whether he plays, Camby is looking forward to going back to New York.

"I miss the dirt and the snow and all that," he said.

Then Camby remembered to keep the Denver Chamber of Commerce happy. He quickly added, "I do like the clean air. Don't get me wrong."

Mavs Mann
01-19-2003, 03:12 AM
I have to agree with MavKiKi, I read an article on realgm saying he did not really want to be there. He didnt say it directly but it dont take any kind of rocket scientist to tell that he wants out of Denver. Most of the articles I have seen, has said he wants out of Denver.

MavKikiNYC
01-19-2003, 09:18 AM
It is my opinion, but it's not just MY opinion......

Camby doesn't fit in Denver

By Mark Kiszla
Denver Post Sports Columnist

Thursday, January 09, 2003 - Marcus Camby is hurt, homesick and hopeless. He is a prisoner of the Denver Nuggets, doing hard time with a diamond stud in each ear. He feels locked in solitary confinement, doing nothing to earn his $6.7 million annual salary.

How has Camby adjusted to being sentenced to the basketball hell that is Denver? "I haven't," he replied.

The Nuggets are not so good they can coddle millionaires who are ambivalent about being here.

The best thing for Camby and the Nuggets would be if they parted ways. The sooner the better.

Did we mention the NBA trade deadline is Feb. 20? "Anything is possible," Camby said.

While he professes genuine fondness for Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe and respects the work ethic of rookie coach Jeff Bzdelik, it is clear the same sales pitch this downtrodden franchise must deliver to skeptical free agents in the upcoming months has failed to make an impression on Camby.

Although the snow on the Colorado mountains is undeniably beautiful, Camby gets no Rocky Mountain high from the scenery.

"I'm an East Coast guy," Camby said. "I grew up in Connecticut, went to school in Massachusetts and played the majority of my pro career in New York. Coming out West in itself has been a big adjustment for me. My whole life is on the East Coast. I'm basically out here by myself. No family or nothing."

Being condemned to the worst team in the Western Conference is not how Camby wants to spend the rest of his career.

"It's definitely frustrating," he said Wednesday. "I'm used to being in the playoffs."

With so many young Denver players lacking the basic knowledge of what it takes to win at the pro level, Camby sometimes feels as if he has been detained in a class of remedial hoops.

"Practices here are long, shoot-arounds are extra long," said Camby, whose low-key personality seems to be a less-than-perfect fit for a Denver locker room in need of a veteran mentor.

Unable to make himself feel at home since a draft-day trade with the New York Knicks, Camby is renting in Colorado.

Since coming to Denver in a deal for Antonio McDyess, Camby has scored as many points with the Nuggets this season as Joe Barry Carroll or Joe Kopicki: zero.

Camby is not a bad guy. Although seldom physically reliable for the Knicks, his athletic versatility allowed him to show flashes of brilliance at center and power forward.

But Camby seems to be a bad fit for the Nuggets.

The 28-year-old veteran has openly questioned the dumping of James Posey, the team's second-leading scorer.

Although Camby has performed highlight-worthy dunks during practices, he insists there will be no return to the court until the lingering pain from early October hip surgery subsides.

Bzdelik has to wonder if he can depend on Camby's commitment to the success of this difficult rebuilding project.

Vandeweghe must weigh if the team would be better off with Camby or the salary-cap flexibility that trading him out of Denver might bring.

Camby better get himself back on the court as soon as possible, so he can demonstrate his value to any team intrigued by a 6-foot-11 player who can run the court and block shots when healthy.

Here are three trade scenarios involving Camby the Nuggets should explore in the next month:

* The Nuggets obviously covet center Michael Olowokandi, eligible to leave the Los Angeles Clippers at season's end. Wouldn't it make sense for Vandeweghe to obtain him now, and woo Olowokandi before the feeding frenzy of free agency begins?

* The Lakers obviously need a third scorer to make Phil Jackson's triangle offense complete. Why not Camby for Robert Horry and Samaki Walker, whose salary-cap friendly contracts could provide another $7 million for the Nuggets to spend on the open market?

* In Jamal Crawford, Chicago has a promising point guard stuck behind top draft choice Jay Williams. Let the Bulls throw in forward Eddie Robinson, and call it a deal.

Asked directly if he would consider trading Camby, Vandeweghe would say only that he firmly believes in the often-injured player's talent, but that nobody currently on the Nuggets' roster can be considered untouchable.

For his part, Camby praises Nuggets management, yet honestly admits: "The whole year and how it went down is frustrating."

The Nuggets and Camby both want to be winners. Too bad it's never going to happen together.

Drbio
01-19-2003, 05:09 PM
What the heck does Camby have to do to get it out there? He has denied that countless times. I'll take his word in this matter.

Drbio
01-19-2003, 05:10 PM
<< I have to agree with MavKiKi, I read an article on realgm saying he did not really want to be there. He didnt say it directly but it dont take any kind of rocket scientist to tell that he wants out of Denver. Most of the articles I have seen, has said he wants out of Denver. >>

Oh yeah...if that rag realgm said it then it must be true. Rediculous.

i.liek.basketball
01-19-2003, 05:41 PM
it really doesnt take a rocket scientist to knkw that camby wants out of there... really doesnt take a rocket scientist gentrleman

LRB
01-19-2003, 05:43 PM
<< What the heck does Camby have to do to get it out there? He has denied that countless times. I'll take his word in this matter. >>

He needs a noterized statement by a rocket scientist denying that he wants to leave. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

MavKikiNYC
01-19-2003, 05:45 PM
Maybe this report (below) is the source of the story.

But given the situation in Denver and Camby's track record it's tough to think of this as unbased speculation. The trade rumors are there, and Camby appears to be getting good advice that if he'll go along to get along, he won't have to spend the rest of the season there.

And sorry, Doc, but.....Camby can deny the story, but it wouldn't be the first time an athlete said one thing while doing another.

From NYTimes 01.14.03

Camby Unhappy in Denver

There were times during his four-year tenure with the Knicks that Marcus Camby appeared disgruntled. But in his seven months with the Denver Nuggets, Camby has remained disgruntled and not just because he has missed the entire season with a hip injury.

Camby dislikes Denver intensely, according to Latrell Sprewell and has implied that he does not see the need in playing this season if the Nuggets (9-27) are not trying to win.

&quot;I knew he wouldn't like it out there,&quot; Sprewell said.

Despite his questionable commitment, Camby, who was traded on draft night along with Mark Jackson and the 25th pick (Frank Williams) for Antonio McDyess and the 7th pick (Nen&ecirc; Hil&aacute;rio), is gearing up for a return Monday against the Washington Wizards. Two nights later, on Jan. 22, he plans to play against the Knicks at Madison Square Garden.

Drbio
01-19-2003, 06:02 PM
LOL LRB!

And if Spreewell is the source, can you really believe any of it? Spreewell? The guy is a tool.

MavKikiNYC
01-19-2003, 06:03 PM
Yeah....Sprewell has low credibility.

But he and Camby were very close. Why does he make this story up out of whole cloth?

LRB
01-19-2003, 06:11 PM
<< Yeah....Sprewell has low credibility.

But he and Camby were very close. Why does he make this story up out of whole cloth? >>

But he doesn't have to make it up out of &quot;whole cloth&quot;. Camby has to be in not the best of moods being injured and his team playing their way into the bottom of the Western Conference. He could very well be unhappy about those things without necessarily wanting out of Denver.

Sounds like an unconfirmed rumor. It may be true, it may not. Just because someone writes an article and quotes someone else doesn't necessarily make it true or false.

Big Boy Laroux
01-20-2003, 09:11 AM
<< it really doesnt take a rocket scientist to knkw that camby wants out of there... really doesnt take a rocket scientist gentrleman >>

i think this post just made my top 5 in unintentional comedy.