PDA

View Full Version : Garnett 2 Guard

jayC
01-19-2003, 05:42 PM
Wolves notes: Pippen thinks Garnett should play guard
Steve Aschburner
Star Tribune

Published Jan. 19, 2003 WNOT0119

PORTLAND, ORE. -- Magic Johnson and Charles Barkley had ideas for how Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett ought to play, criticizing him in the playoff elimination against Dallas. Now another of the NBA's designated Top 50 players, Portland's Scottie Pippen, has suggestions for Garnett's game.

"I don't mean to be negative about him, because his numbers are great," Pippen told the Portland Tribune. "But what exactly is he doing for them? They aren't winning enough games, that's the point. His numbers ain't measuring to wins. He has to find a way to make his team win. When you are getting big numbers like he is and still losing, I call it padding your stats."

Pippen's idea? Have Garnett play shooting guard. "He has the ability," the former Bulls star said. "Kevin could allow his team to get bigger if he plays [shooting guard], and his defensive presence would be immense out there. It would allow them to play four 'bigs' at a time.

"I know he's trying to do what's best for his team right now, but he could ask for a little more responsibility -- maybe take on the challenge of guarding a guy like Kobe [Bryant] to be more effective overall."

Three points Pippen might not have considered: First, Garnett has, at times, defended Bryant. Second, as versatile as Garnett is, he sometimes lacks lateral quickness to keep up with slashing wing players. Third, this all really would be up to coach Flip Saunders, not Garnett.

Brandon: I'm tough

Terrell Brandon did an interview with his hometown paper, the Oregonian, and said a couple of things that Wolves fans might find interesting:

On his slow-going comeback from knee surgery in February 2002: "I still plan on playing this season. I'm not ready to retire. . . . I know I'll be back. I've got some basketball left in me."

On questions about his perceived reluctance to play in pain: "I don't know why it comes up. I'm the perfect example of being tough. I don't know what tough is measured by. Is it measured by talking about injuries and playing with them? Or is it not saying anything and playing with them anyway?"

MFFL
01-19-2003, 05:52 PM
I don't think Garnett is a good enough shooter to play 2 guard. He doesn't have a lot of range.

LRB
01-19-2003, 05:55 PM
Though it would be interesting seeing either NVE or Nash take Garnett when we go smallball. i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif

Mavs Mann
01-19-2003, 06:13 PM
Garnett definitely has enough range on his J this year to play the 2.

Rhylan
01-19-2003, 06:23 PM
Garnett should play the 3... with Dirk at the 4 and one of our other tall white guys at the 5, on the DALLAS MAVS, baby.

But that'll never happen i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

jayC
01-20-2003, 03:16 PM
What are we in the jungle quoting other people like dooby. Funny, I just thought it was funny, after all got it off of Real GM rumor mill.