LRB
01-20-2003, 12:54 AM
1. MJ
2. Vince Carter
3. Dr. J
4. Dominque Wilkens

Mavs Mann
01-20-2003, 03:12 AM
Noones show was better than Vince Carter at the all star game in Oakland a few years back. It has to be 1 of the best shows I have seen put on in person.

nowitzki_prophecy
01-20-2003, 06:40 AM
1. Dr J
2. vince carter
3. MJ
after this its all guessin.

i'd give MJ the player with the best moves ever or the best finishing,best lay-uper is for sure.
but in dunking,no one could match the Doctor.

FilthyFinMavs
01-20-2003, 09:20 AM
Has anyone actually seen the historical dunk from the free throw line by MJ? Have you guys actually sat there and looked at it? This guy is literally flying in the air. Amazing.

1. MJ
2. Dr. J
3. Wilkins
4. Spud Spud gets no love? THis guy was doing dunks that some people a foot taller then him coudln't do.
5. Larry Nance, Dominque Wilkins, Shawn Kemp I could go on forever who this spot should go to.

MavKikiNYC
01-20-2003, 10:07 AM
1. Dr J (best combo dunker/player..he dunked when it counted)
2. Dominique (best dunker)
3. MJ (best player)
4. Kemp (how the mighty have fallen....and expanded)
5. Darryl Dawkins (ultimate power dunker)

Honorable Mention:
Spud (impressive but just a novelty)
Vince (impressive but just a novelty)
Drexler
Kobe

Drbio
01-20-2003, 10:46 AM
Your lists are all good, but I want to throw in Tom Chambers. Although it was only one dunk that I can think of, Chambers threw down the most impressive dunk that I have ever seen in my entire life at any level. While with the Sonics, Chambers took off at the free throw line and performed a two handed monster jam. He was so high in the air that his arms were extended straight out. It looked like he jumped off a trampouline. There were two guys under him. It was amazing. Best dunk ever.

Trinity
01-20-2003, 06:17 PM
Top dunkers
D. Wilkins
S. Webb
M.J.
T. Stansbury
V. Carter
The Tom Chambers dunk was crazy, I had forgot about it until it was mentioned, he flat out looked like he jumped off a trampoline. Does anyone remember the Footlocker Slamfest at halftimes, when the track guys would dunk, Mike Powell jumped from beyond the ft line and dunked flipped almost killing himself, but practically ended up on his feet, that was the most unreal dunk of all time. You guys should have seen the old Wisconsin vs. Purdue games. Purdue had Glen Robinson, Herb Dove, and Justine Jennings and Wisconsin had Finley. Their was an OT game in Wisconsin, Robinson and Finley went nuts, they just took turns making killer dunks. That Purdue team was the best dunking college team I ever saw. Sad to see how lazy Big Dog is as a pro

MavKikiNYC
01-20-2003, 06:37 PM
Trinity,

No DrJ on your list? VC is JV compared to Doc.

senorfrog
01-20-2003, 06:45 PM
Does anyone remember this dunk?

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Loge/5514/86webb.jpg

senorfrog
01-20-2003, 07:02 PM
Here are my top four:

http://www.puresportsart.com/warehouse/jordanmvp-1.jpg

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/2000/all_star/news/2000/02/12/slamdunk_contest_/t1_carter_ap_01.jpg

http://www.puresportsart.com/warehouse/wilkins88-1.jpg

http://home.globalcrossing.net/~variable/clyde1.jpg

senorfrog
01-20-2003, 07:04 PM
Is it just me, or does Gatorade get a plug in almost every dunk pic I see?

Rhylan
01-20-2003, 07:17 PM
Ohhhh, Spud's dunk was soooooo niiiiice.

So was MJ, 'Nique, all those dudes, man. AWW. And what do we have this year to look forward to?

I heard Ricky Davis wanted to participate in the Dunk Contest but the L wouldn't let him because he wasn't young enough. That's stupidity.

FilthyFinMavs
01-20-2003, 07:33 PM
Yea I heard you have to be under 3 years pro. I hope they change this rule because no one even impresses me who they have.

Amare Stoutmire (He dunks hard and all but I don't expect anything impressive unless he pulls some of his High School dunks out the bag. Anyone else see him in the High School dunk comp.?)
JRich( Probaly the best dunker out of all these guys and looking foward to seeing him)

Mason( Nice dunker not better than J Rich but looking foward to see his explosive dunks)

Don't remember the rest anyone else heard this information and willing to post the rest of the guys?

Guys I'd put in.

Ricky Davis (Got dunk of the year so far. Too bad it was on a Mav.
Jrich
Desmond Mason
Franchise
Kobe
T-Mac
Carter
Corey Magette (Didn't get to do that suprise dunk he was suppose to show us)

Trinity
01-20-2003, 07:41 PM
Yep, no DR. J at the top of my list. Alot of guys can jump from the free throw line and dunk, some better than he did. He may be the grandaddy of dunk, but in my opinion there have been alot better dunkers since he played. Of course I think that has more to do with how the nature of the NBA has changed and not that it was that he was'nt as athletic or talented as some of the guys I would put ahead of him. I'm not gonna rank someone just because of their name, how many people remember Terrance Stansbury, probably not many. But The Statue of Liberty 360 he did in 1987 is one of my fav dunks. Maybe some of us are basing our opinions on certain dunks more than how someone played their NBA carreer. I could probably name ten guys that IMO can or could dunk better than Dr. J.
Better than Dr. J. list
M.J.
Wilkins
Spud
Stansbury
Vince
Kobe
Dee Brown
Drexler
Kemp pre-fat boy days
Rider
That was harder than I thought and I'm sure nobody will agree, but just my opionion.

LRB
01-20-2003, 07:51 PM
For those of you who don't think Dr. J can compete with today's dunkers, let me realate my favorite Dr. J Dunk. I'm a little too young to have seen Dr. J at his peak in the ABA, but I remember one allstar game. 7'2" Artis Gilmore, one of the league leaders in blocked shots was back at the goal. The ball was hit where it was rolling down the lane like a bowling ball towards the other goal. Dr J swoops in from the top of the key, bends down and picks the ball up with one hand without breaking stride, Jumps up and cocks the ball back behind his hip and delivers a thunderous dunk over Gilore all in one smooth motion. And to top it off, he just jogs back down court like it was the most average of plays. Thing was for him, it just might have been.

Trinity
01-20-2003, 08:03 PM
Freddie Jones, who is a bench warmer/rookie, and former Oregon star will win the dunk contest this year. I bet Mason does not compete this yr. The Pacers will get him in the contest, because of lack of interest from more established dunkers and he'll win. It will be like Red Aurbauch getting Dee Brown in the contest because a Celtic had never won it. Well, he'll finish top three easily, just wait and see. Jones is my pick, but you ever notice how alot of yrs. the best dunkers pretty much choke and someone like Jerome Kersey finishes higher than they should just because they make all their dunks.

MavsFanFinley
01-20-2003, 09:21 PM
I have no one new to add, but my favorites are:

Wilkins
Dr. J
Jason Richardson
Ricky Davis (wish he wasn't so cocky though)

There's more and they've been listed, but those are 2 of my past favorites and 2 of todays favorites.

If Finley would still be dunking like he did his rookie year in Phoenix, he'd be on the list too.

Road Rage
01-20-2003, 10:20 PM
Personally, I can't say that I've ever seen a dunk more impressive than VC jumping over that 7' guy and dunking in the 2000 Olympics.

FilthyFinMavs
01-20-2003, 10:31 PM
<< Personally, I can't say that I've ever seen a dunk more impressive than VC jumping over that 7' guy and dunking in the 2000 Olympics. >>

Straight sick. I don't think we will ever see something that amazing again. Wonder why you never see this attempted in a dunk competition?

basketball101
01-20-2003, 11:08 PM
mugsy bogues

basketball101
01-20-2003, 11:10 PM
in no particular order....

Vince
MJ
Dr. J
JRich

so many others i am having a hard time thinking right now

OutletPass
01-21-2003, 01:17 AM
I'll confine my list to the true acrobatic, high wire acts:

MJ
Dr.J
'Nique
Vince

and, for those of you who want to look it up,

Connie Hawkins.

Edit: MFFL...Connie did dunk plenty...just too bad that he didn't get to show his stuff when he was younger. I saw him in person quite a few times and he was just amazing...a lot like Dr. J came to be.

MFFL
01-21-2003, 09:10 AM
I don't remember the Hawk dunking too often. My memories of him are these HUGE hands (when he palmed the ball fingers were several inches past the center line) and these incredible passes.

reeds
01-21-2003, 10:26 PM
I really cannot beleive anyone can have a top five without Wilkens!! And im serious too. The man in his prime was the best dunker of all time. Opinion? Maybe- but there is no way he is out of the top 4- NO FREAKIN WAY.

1-Wilkens
2-Jordan
3-Vince
4-Dr. J

JHMO

Bayliss
01-21-2003, 11:37 PM
The Tom Chambers &quot;knees in Mark Jackson's chest&quot; dunk should prove to anyone that some white men can jump. Just unbelievable.

Darryle Dawkins definitely had the power game.

MJ had the grace.

Dr. J had the fluidity. (As much as MJ seemed floating, the Dr. did that + he had the &quot;looks&quot; to go with it.)

Larry Nance had power and finesse.

Kenny Walker was versatile. Only thing in the NBA he is known for.

Dominique: straight power.... not as graceful as MJ. MJ would dunk on two people but wouldn't fling them to the ground doing it. Dominique would literally put you on your back with some of his rebound jams.

MavKikiNYC
01-22-2003, 06:25 PM
Nobody has Larry McNeil or Darnell Hillman?

No David Thopmson?