PDA

View Full Version : Why do fans hate Kobe?

USAPA
01-20-2003, 01:53 PM
The guy has lots of class, great winning attitude, and a heck of a baller. Why do "haters" hate?

LRB
01-20-2003, 01:56 PM
2 words: Ball hog.

TripleDipping
01-20-2003, 01:59 PM
<< The guy has lots of class, great winning attitude, and a heck of a baller. Why do &quot;haters&quot; hate? >>

He does have those qualities... with a pinch of arrogance and I think that's why people dislike him.

USAPA
01-20-2003, 02:00 PM
<< 2 words: Ball hog. >>

He leads the Lakers in assists, about 7 a game. He can't be much of a ballhog. But to a certain extent, I do agree. He can actually average 10 assists a game if he just dishes more. Of course, he probably averages that if the &quot;scrubs&quot; make more baskets off his passes. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

USAPA
01-20-2003, 02:02 PM
<< He does have those qualities... with a pinch of arrogance and I think that's why people dislike him. >>

I know what you mean. But most players have that on them. Have you seen Bibby? Or Webber? IMO, the Mavs don't have that kind of arrogance. Well, maybe just Cuban. But I like Cuban. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

NYMavFan
01-20-2003, 11:10 PM
my opinion is that it's because he's so young... too much, too soon, some feel he hasn't paid his dues and doesn't deserve what he has yet. also, the youthful arrogance doesn't help.

remember, a lot of ppl didn't like mike when he was young. he didn't become america's beloved god child until later. who knows, maybe the same will happen for kobe. but i doubt it.

FilthyFinMavs
01-20-2003, 11:18 PM
Could be because he is a dominant player. Though we all love MJ now people couldn't stand MJ. I for one couldn't wait till he retire but now I wish he was vintage MJ. The league needs vintage MJ back. I don't like Kobe because I feel he is cocky and arrogant. Don't know the guy so I could be wrong about this but he just comes off cocky and arrogant to me.

Rhylan
01-21-2003, 12:10 AM
<< The guy has lots of class, great winning attitude, and a heck of a baller. Why do &quot;haters&quot; hate? >>

It's all about his off-the-court demeanor. And I like cocky athletes. Michael Irvin, Deion, that was who they were, and I thought it was awesome. Kobe's arrogance, on the other hand, just seems so calculated. More like an act than a uncontrollable exuberance and appreciation for himself. He tries to act semi-street in a proper-grammar, LL Cool J lip-licking sort of half-ass way. It just falls flat with me.

Murphy3
01-21-2003, 12:22 AM
probably because he constantly fakes injuries to make himself look better

OutletPass
01-21-2003, 01:09 AM
Being overhyped from day one doesn't help either. Heaven help poor LeBron James. Build 'em up, knock 'em down. The way of the world.

NYMavFan
01-21-2003, 09:41 AM
<< Being overhyped from day one doesn't help either. Heaven help poor LeBron James. Build 'em up, knock 'em down. The way of the world. >>

Poor guy. Who'd want to be in his position right now? ;-)

Murphy3
01-21-2003, 10:07 AM
there's not nearly the backlash for other superstars as there is to kobe..
it has more to do with kobe himself..the way he acts
if he wouldn't act like he breaks a leg every game just to make himself look better when he gets his toe taped up and comes back in the game.. people might like him better

Dooby
01-21-2003, 11:39 AM
His bizaare sense of entitlement.

Here is a high-school kid, who said yes to the NBA, and said he wouldn't play for anybody but the Lakers. That if anybody else drafted him, he would go to Europe.

Here is a guy that believes he is the best player on the planet. In truth, he isn't the best player on his own team.

Here is a player that from time to time forgets what the game is about and tries to put on a show. Sets a record for 3's in a game by shooting more 3's in a game than he had the entire season.

USAPA
01-21-2003, 11:40 AM
<<

<< Being overhyped from day one doesn't help either. Heaven help poor LeBron James. Build 'em up, knock 'em down. The way of the world. >>

Poor guy. Who'd want to be in his position right now? ;-) >>

Actually, a lot of us would die to be in the position James is in. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

USAPA
01-21-2003, 12:20 PM
<< there's not nearly the backlash for other superstars as there is to kobe..
it has more to do with kobe himself..the way he acts
if he wouldn't act like he breaks a leg every game just to make himself look better when he gets his toe taped up and comes back in the game.. people might like him better >>

You really should stop believing the hype. If you really think that Kobe is naive in believing that faking an injury helps him, you're sadly mistaken. As if having a Kobe Bryant jersey on is not target enough, what would stop teams from attacking a seemingly injured Bryant? i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif

Chiwas
01-21-2003, 12:33 PM
Arrogant, selfish and conceited. The causes? Too young , too rich, too famous, and too many rings.

He is one of the best scores but he isn't a good player. A good player is a team-player and humble.

NYMavFan
01-21-2003, 02:34 PM
<< it has more to do with kobe himself..the way he acts
if he wouldn't act like he breaks a leg every game just to make himself look better when he gets his toe taped up and comes back in the game.. people might like him better
>>

His injury-faking may or may not be true. But it's not the reason why so many dislike him. This is your own personal perception of him... most fans aren't aware of this so-called Kobe-trait or they simply don't agree with you.

LakerMania
01-21-2003, 03:06 PM
<< Arrogant, selfish and conceited. The causes? Too young , too rich, too famous, and too many rings.

He is one of the best scores but he isn't a good player. A good player is a team-player and humble. >>

With the highest amount of assists of any non-pg in the NBA, I would hardly say that he's not a team player. And if a lack of humility does not make you a good player, then you are saying Michael Jordan is not a good player. How long did you say you have been watching the NBA?

<< It's all about his off-the-court demeanor. And I like cocky athletes. Michael Irvin, Deion, that was who they were, and I thought it was awesome. Kobe's arrogance, on the other hand, just seems so calculated. More like an act than a uncontrollable exuberance and appreciation for himself. He tries to act semi-street in a proper-grammar, LL Cool J lip-licking sort of half-ass way. It just falls flat with me. >>

Silly Kobe can't make the transition from the NBA to regular society with his arrogance. If he could just have the off-the-court problems of a Deion or a Michael Irvin.....HEY!.....then he would be &quot;awesome&quot;. I guess us poor Laker fans will just have to be bored with our upstanding citizen. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

USAPA
01-21-2003, 03:15 PM
<<

<< Arrogant, selfish and conceited. The causes? Too young , too rich, too famous, and too many rings.

He is one of the best scores but he isn't a good player. A good player is a team-player and humble. >>

With the highest amount of assists of any non-pg in the NBA, I would hardly say that he's not a team player. And if a lack of humility does not make you a good player, then you are saying Michael Jordan is not a good player. How long did you say you have been watching the NBA? >>

My sentiments exactly! Took the words out of my mouth! i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Murphy3
01-21-2003, 06:52 PM
actually, i know several people that do not like kobe because he's always faking injuries... it's definitely a reason..a significant reason

Usually Lurkin
01-21-2003, 07:11 PM
<< Arrogant, selfish and conceited. The causes? Too young , too rich, too famous, and too many rings. >>

hey man, don't hate him because he's beautiful

(another cliche. It's like &quot;sour grapes&quot; i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif)

NYMavFan
01-21-2003, 09:47 PM
i'm sure you do murph... since you probably repeat it every 11 seconds to everyone you know. i'm sure you know ppl who think nve should be traded and even some ppl who even want nellie out.

everyone on this board is well aware of your opinions. you campaign your ideas quite tenaciously and repetitively.

my point is that some ppl (outside of dallas-mavs.com) disagree with you. and in the case of kobe, you're wrong. go start a real poll if you will (not the lame-ass one you have on this board) and i'd be willing to bet that kobe's &quot;injury-faking&quot; is not the main reason why ppl hate him.

MFFL
01-21-2003, 10:42 PM
Did ya'll hear Cuban's rip of Kobe? FoxSports was interviewing Cuban about possible trades this year. Cuban basically says &quot;We aren't interested in making any trades this year but we will make a deal if the Lakers offer Shaq for me. If the Lakers offer Kobe for me, I'll want some money kicked into the deal.&quot;

Murphy3
01-21-2003, 11:33 PM
nymavfan, if you have a problem with me, you could always leave. no one is keeping you here.
i apologize if you are unable to discuss something without trying to take a shot at someone..but that is more of your issue, not mine

Drbio
01-21-2003, 11:51 PM
it's the showbe mentality and Dooby nailed it with the sick sense of entitlement

Epitome22
01-21-2003, 11:54 PM
I've never seen a talented ball player so universally disliked but I really admire his play at times.

LRB
01-22-2003, 05:24 PM
2 more words: Prima Donna.

BrianJ
01-22-2003, 05:48 PM
u MIGHT HAVE A SMALL POINT ABOUT CAMPAIGNING nymavs. But U are wrong the fake injuries cocky attitude, those are all reasons I hate him. I don't even like looking at him, his facial expressions remind me of shewebb after a questionable call.

BrianJ
01-22-2003, 05:50 PM
arrogance is not associated with classiness. Maybe u mean confidence, unless times have changed.