PDA

View Full Version : Poll: NBA Finals 2001: Lakers and Sixers

djb
06-03-2001, 09:16 PM
Who's going to win it all? Vote in the poll i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Mavinator
06-03-2001, 10:04 PM
Maybe this poll should be, "Will the Sixers manage to take a game?"

djb
06-06-2001, 03:13 PM
Sixers are gonna punk the Lakers tonight..mark my words!

Flying Tiger
06-06-2001, 04:42 PM
DJ...I no longer value your sports opinions. You've got to be joking!

djb
06-06-2001, 04:43 PM
Blame Cleo if I'm wrong.

Flying Tiger
06-06-2001, 05:05 PM
I just want to point out that Madape picked the Pacers over the 76er in the fantasy pick and roll.

Mavinator
06-06-2001, 05:32 PM
Don't get me started on that Pacers/Sixers series... the Pacers would have won it if Isiah Thomas could stick to a consistent rotation and coaching scheme.

Fidel
06-06-2001, 09:34 PM
So far it looks pretty good for the Sixers. Up by Six at the half. Got to give them credit so far (Iverson 30 pts). But the Lakers and especially Kobe are pretty much out of sync. Nowhere near the Spurs series. Also I think they go inside to Shaq too often. I think it will be an interesting second half.

Fidel
06-06-2001, 09:35 PM
No matter who wins today: the Lakers will win it all. Maximum 6 games.

LonestarROB
06-06-2001, 11:23 PM
You nailed it DJ. Philly wins game 1. 107-101

Mavinator
06-06-2001, 11:30 PM
dj, I owe you a coke. Go Sixers! Wooooo! Sixers forever! Iverson MVP! I'm even temporarily a Mutumbo fan, just for this series. Sixers 2001!

Isn't it strange how the lakers mounted a big comeback when they started going inside to Shaq every single possession? You'd think Dominant Offensive Force kobe would be offended....

Fidel
06-06-2001, 11:32 PM
I hate Phillie, but I got to give them credit for todays game (especially Iverson). Had Mutombo not sat out the third quarter, the game would not even have been close.
The Lakers really didnīt look good today, and Kobe really wasnīt there at all. Now game 2 will be real interesting, if Phillie steals that one too they have a shot at the title.

Fidel
06-06-2001, 11:34 PM
Mavinator,
that was because Mutombo wasnīt around in the third.

djb
06-06-2001, 11:35 PM
I really thought the Sixers were going to piss the game away late in the fourth, especially when they fumbled the last possession. I missed the o/t but can't wait for the ESPN highlights!

Even if they steal Game 2, I'm still sure the Lakers will pull it off though i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif I hope I'm wrong.

Fidel
06-06-2001, 11:35 PM
I predict Kobe to have a big game 2.

djb
06-06-2001, 11:36 PM
Anyone else think Luu was damn impressive tonight?!

Fidel
06-06-2001, 11:38 PM
Dj the Lakers were up by 5 in OT with 2 min to play I think.
But Bell, and two times Iverson came up big for the Sixers.
There was also a key possesion when the Lakers had the ball 5 up with 2 min. to go and Horry was called for an offensive foul. They didnīt show any replays of that.

Fidel
06-06-2001, 11:39 PM
He was incredible, especially defending the passing lane.

Fidel
06-06-2001, 11:39 PM
Lue, I mean.

djb
06-06-2001, 11:40 PM
Wow thx for the info Fidel! Bell has really surprised me the last couple weeks.

Mavinator
06-06-2001, 11:41 PM
Lue's one asset is his quickness, and it was showing tonight. It was also showing more because Iverson's teammates weren't stepping up offensively tonight as much as they usually do... where was Aaron McKie??

I always know Horry's going to commit a key turnover or foul in the clutch time. You can set your watch to it. If you're playing the lakers, and you're down late in the game, be confident- Robert Horry is going to get you some points...

Fidel
06-06-2001, 11:43 PM
The Sixers really surprised me tonight, although I expected the Lakers to be rusty. But I think tonight Brown outcoached Jackson. I also wonder what it was with Kobe. Was he overconfident? (We all know that he likes his game...)

djb
06-06-2001, 11:43 PM
I was only able to catch part of the second half. How was Kobe tonight?

Mavinator
06-06-2001, 11:46 PM
The Sixers just played consistently good defense on kobe and made him take jumpshots... after a five-turnover first half, they seemed to be in his head, and he missed some of those crazy turnarounds that he normally makes. It was all downhill from there...

Fidel
06-06-2001, 11:47 PM
Awful.
He had alot of Toīs and shot 5-20. He also was guarding Iverson for most of the first half were Iverson had 30 pts. Kobe also had a key TO with 30 sec. to go in regulation.

Fidel
06-06-2001, 11:53 PM
But I also think the refs didnīt give Kobe any respect at all. Like Mavinator said, the Sixers made him take jumpers but when he penetrated he was fould a couple times, and didnīt get any calls at all. He had one technical FT. Thatīs it. Kind of fits into the NBC pregame show where they had a clash of "the imovable force" against the "answer". Also when they were showing highlights of the Spurs-Lakers series they didnīt have a single basket of Kobe. And he was just huge in that series.

djb
06-06-2001, 11:55 PM
NBC and the NBA probably want the Sixers to win a couple..NBC has been losing mucho bucks because of the Laker sweeps, and the Playoffs in general. That's why they're resorting to those halftime concerts or whatever. The NBA conspiracy theory lives on i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Fidel
06-07-2001, 12:05 AM
Other than Shaq the Lakers had 5 FTA today. So yeah I smell the conspiracy i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif
I donīt know if thereīs something to it but the Sixers definitely deserved to win tonight. They were the better team.

Fidel
06-07-2001, 12:08 AM
Another thing: it should be clear that Iīm hugely in favor of the Lakers. But nevertheless I kind of like the fact the Sixers won tonight. Perhaps now we`ll have a real series in the Finals (I still doubt it though).

TheKid
06-07-2001, 09:13 AM
I want Philly to win the series, but even watching lastnight, it won't happen. Kobe was off, but don't expect him to be off like that AGAIN in the series. (Did I tell you all I hate Kobe?) Also, the game is different if Shaq shoots a better percentage from the free throw line. Although you can't beef too much with him because he played GREAT lastnight other than the free throw line!

Hales233
06-08-2001, 04:55 PM
ummm I'm glad I'm not Flying Tiger right now i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Mavinator
06-08-2001, 07:10 PM
http://www.nba.com/playoffs2001/images/gallery/mutombo_d_block_gm1.jpg
MUTUMBO SMASH! MUTUMBO IS STRONGEST ONE THERE IS!

djb
06-08-2001, 10:58 PM
Anyone else think the Sixers should've put Shaq on the line late in the fourth? I know Brown is against Hack-a-Shaq, but c'mon..this was a chance to go up 2-0!

Fidel
06-08-2001, 11:13 PM
What was that Bullshit with Iverson?
Before the game he was talkin shit about Lue, in the game he kept whining and complaining, and that show he was putting up at the end of the game, well that was just rediculus. The game was actually called Sixers way. Shaq had his fitht foul pretty early, the Sixers had 16 FTA in the 4th to 2 FTA for the Lakers (if you take away the intentional ones given up by the Sixers at the end). Those FTīs kept the Sixers in the game in the 4th, even if they only made half of them. Iverson just had a bad game, and instead of just takin it that way he starts to talk shit with Kobe and acts like the Sixers was cheated.
That was no good sport of Iverson, and I hope the refs wonīt be intimidated by that in Phillie. They already call the gameīs in favor of the Sixers.

Fidel
06-08-2001, 11:17 PM
And I really donīt understand why everyone thinks Iverson is so honest and pure. Actually Iverson was a much bigger whiner than Kobe today.
Go down Sixers! Three more, letīs go Lakers!

MFFL
06-08-2001, 11:23 PM
Well that sucked. It looks like the damn Lakers are going to win the title again.

Fidel
06-08-2001, 11:26 PM
OK I know you all hate the Lakers.
But didnīt you think Iversons reaction after the game was just rediculous?

djb
06-08-2001, 11:30 PM
After the game, yes I agree with your assessment. This is no excuse, but up until the fourth quarter, he was constantly getting hammered and not getting any calls.

Fidel
06-08-2001, 11:30 PM
Besides that: I donīt think the series will be over soon. The Sixers have hart, I give them that. I think they will find a way to win a game, maybe even two in Phillie.

djb
06-08-2001, 11:31 PM
I hate the Lakers as much as anyone here, but the Sixers really sealed their fate tonight by missing those free throws. Shaq just played a monster game so you can't help but give the guy his props.

djb
06-08-2001, 11:33 PM
The Sixers are definitely capable of stretching this series but a lot depends on how serious the injuries to guys like McKie, Mutombo, and Snow are. Did anyone else get a good laugh at the little NBC SixERs segment that was aired?!

Fidel
06-08-2001, 11:36 PM
Shaq was just unbelievable.
With Iverson getting no calls, it may have been the case. But actually Kobe got fouled a couple of times in game 1 and didnīt get one single call (just look at the picture Mavinator posted, there was no call on that play). And what does he do after the game? No complaints, just giving the Sixers credit for playing tough D. Thatīs good sport. I really donīt understand why you all hate Kobe and love Iverson.

Fidel
06-08-2001, 11:42 PM
I give them a lot of credit for playing through all of this. Actually I just donīt like Iverson. But the Sixers as a team have my respect. They have spirit and play team. Only Iverson distracts from that IMO (not the fighting spirit of course but the team spirit).
Nevertheless Iīm still all Lakers, just giving the Sixers credit for being tough and stepping up. The Lakers need to match that (will be difficult cause they havenīt got a lot of guys with a fighter mentallity) or it could be a real close series.

Mavinator
06-09-2001, 04:18 PM
You guys aren't being fair to my boy Iverson. They showed replays of about four instances where Fisher/Lue touch fouled him on the perimeter with no call. Remember when Fisher actually caressed Iverson's face? That's a foul, and Iverson couldn't get a call to save his life. Granted, he shot his team in the foot by not making any free throws... And it was definitely kobe who started the trash-talking in the fourth quarter, not Iverson...

And fidel, I've seen many replays of the incident in the photo, and I'm of the opinion that it was a clean block...

Fidel
06-09-2001, 11:02 PM
Mavinator, isnīt Mutombo pushig Kobe right on the picture you posted? He also had contact with his arms later in that play.
And I remember another one from game 2. Kobe goes for the breakaway dunk, and I think it was McKie, just slightely touched his feet. That was a shabby foul, and Kobe lost the balance at full speed. He could have easily been injured. There was no call on that play.
Iverson, yeah he gets fouled. But heīs so small and light that fouls always seem to have a huge impact on him (especially when heīs airborne, Iīm not talking about the touch or holding fouls here, be honest, how often are these actually called in the NBA. It would hurt the flow of the game tremendously). He looses his balance pretty quick and comes down hard and ugly. Now if the Lakers would hack him like Shaq is hacked in every game, Iverson wouldnīt be hurting, he would be dead.

Fidel
06-10-2001, 08:38 PM
Wow, Iverson actually is becoming a flopper. The Sixers look more and more like the Jazz. Plus they are questioning every call. Very annoying.

Fidel
06-10-2001, 08:43 PM
Kobe is getting no calls at all, and the refs are calling a whole lot of BS in the 3rd quarter.

Fidel
06-10-2001, 09:44 PM
Great win for the Lakers. Seldomly Iīve seen a game being called as onesided as this one in the second half. It was all Sixers, but that wasnīt enough, they still lost. That must be a real confidence breaker for them.

Flying Tiger
06-11-2001, 12:12 AM
I just reread my comments to dj when he first started this post...I must say that I am feeling like quite a jackass right now.

76er still don't have a chance(but I'm not known for my accurate preditions)!

Fidel
06-13-2001, 05:40 AM
Here (http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2001/2001/0609/1211857.html) is something about the TV ratings for the finals. If you consider the billions of dollars involved, I think the so called conspiracy theory regarding the eastern conference finals just makes sense.
Or does anyone think a Bucks-Lakers series would have been getting the same ratings?

Big Boy Laroux
06-13-2001, 08:37 AM
i think the ratings are decently high because the games are actually competitive. after philly won the first game, i'm sure people thought that this series may just be worth watching.

Mavinator
06-13-2001, 10:57 PM
ugh

game 4 = horrible

Fidel
06-14-2001, 12:55 AM
game4 = great i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Fidel
06-14-2001, 12:57 AM
Get used to it. Phil is on his way for another 6 rings.

Fidel
06-14-2001, 01:06 AM
If Dallas manages to get Antonio Davis and perhaps another banger (and if Dirk can yet take another step and become a true superstar), they might have a (small) chance to beat LA next season. I donīt see any other team that even has a chance to beat LA in the near future. Perhaps a healthy Sixers team, but the way they depend on Iverson, I doubt it , cause AI is just not good enough. Orlando could also come close, if they get Webber or Davis, and Hill returns 100%. The Bucks, I donīt know. They beat LA twice this year, but I think the Lakers would have humiliated them in the Finals.

TheKid
06-14-2001, 10:09 AM
Lastnight was another example of why Kobe is NOT the best player on that team! Shaq has MANHANDLED the 76ers, all by his lonesome! (Well with some help from Horry in game three)

Now I'm not saying Kobe isn't a great player, but I've watched these games from tip off to the last second and I'm CERTAIN that you take Shaq off that court Sixers would be up 3-1 right now. I would give ONE game to the Lakers! Take Kobe off that court, the Lakers would still be up 3-1 right now!

I hate the Lakers, mostly because the more and more I watch Jackson, I despise this man! So the Lakers are freakin CHAMPS again!!! BASTARDS!!! I hope Philly could atleast pull out one more but I seriously doubt it.

Mavinator
06-14-2001, 01:58 PM
Those are some excellent observations, TheKid...

The lakers are not as infallible as they're being made out to be- they're not anywhere near infallible. The Spurs just don't match up well with the lakers, and they're mentally weak, and that's why they were crushed so badly. Think about an Orlando team with Hill, McGrady, and Webber. Or a fully healthy Miami team with a full year to build some chemistry.

Most importantly, think about today's Mavs, with another year of experience. Throw in Dale Davis and a shooter off the bench. Think about the possibilities if Dirk steps his game up another level, as he has done every year since he's been in the league. That Mavericks team of next year is a better team than the TrailBlazers that were a fourth quarter lead away from knocking last year's lakers out of the playoffs. Why couldn't we do the same? Are the lakers going to get better? Judging from numerous offseasons only notable for horrendous mismanagement since Jerry West left, I'd wager not...

TheKid
06-14-2001, 02:04 PM
This is why I don't think the West is as dominating as it appears. For one, Shaq is fierce, so whatever team he plays on is going to be difficult to stop. The Spurs because of their twin towers, but in my opinion everyone else is beatable. There is NO reason I should not believe that if the Mavs get a Banger next year we can't be in the thick of things.

Even though the Lakers will win, it puts a smile on my face that people will now STOP the Kobe Jordan comparisons. As far as I'm concerned the only comparison is they're both 6'6!

Murphy3
06-14-2001, 02:59 PM
of course they'd be in the thick of it..the very well might possibly be in the thick of it anyways.

i think the west is dominant because of the number of very solid teams as opposed to the east.
the mavs could have played philly and could have given them a run for their money.

Fidel
06-14-2001, 09:56 PM
Mavinator, did you try to ignore me there? I mean, you picked the exact same teams like me who could be able to beat the Lakers. But you seemed to simply ignore that fact, and just speak to theKid.
I donīt want to start anything here, I was just wonderibg.

Mavinator
06-15-2001, 01:58 PM
"Dallas... might have a (small) chance to beat LA next season. I donīt see any other team that even has a chance to beat LA in the near future."

You didn't sound like you really thought anyone could beat the lakers...

MFFL
06-15-2001, 02:10 PM
Dallas would have to get a lot better to challenge the Lakers. They are so good right now.

MFFL
06-15-2001, 02:10 PM
Dallas would have to get a lot better to challenge the Lakers. They are so good right now.

TheKid
06-15-2001, 02:25 PM
It's simple to beat the Lakers, knock Shaq out the game if that's possible! Problem solved! Get one of your players on the end of the bench to agitate him and get Shaq to snap. In all honesty, it's a dirty way to go about things but that's all you can do with Shaq is get him out of the game. If I'm Philly right now, I would put McCullough in and just get him to start with Shaq so Shaq can take a swing at him. Now granted McCullough might not wake up for three weeks, but that would be taking one for the team! I'm serious about that too.

djb
06-15-2001, 02:27 PM
Or hire that fat guy who clubbed Nancy Kerrigan a few years back.

MFFL
06-15-2001, 02:47 PM
What was that basketball movie with Gabe Kapler in it? "Fast Break" maybe? The bench players were told to do that - get into the game and drop the n-bomb on the other team's best player. Guaranteed to cause a fight and get an ejection.

TheKid
06-15-2001, 03:33 PM
Well I would stay away from the N word, but call Shaq a pussy or something like that, throw an unnecessary elbow or two, he'd snap for sure. Then Shaq would get thrown out for two games, that would secure a game seven! Remember he's snapped before on Montross and Big Country so he likes picking on people his own size, so McCullough would be the best option. He would be kicked out for two games also, but who cares.

Mavinator
06-15-2001, 11:29 PM
ugh

the goddamned lakers dont even care

Hales233
06-18-2001, 07:21 PM
I'll admit that the Lakers are a very good team, but the only reason that they dominate as much as they do is because Shaq is allowed to swing his elbows like a maniac and plant himself in the lane for as long as he wants. Then the big loser has the nerve to say he never gets any calls. Plus, the NBA is such a superstar league, Buford comes in and gets 3 fouls just because he's Buford. its' sad, the NBA should be ashamed of itself for giving away the title for the 2nd straight season.