PDA

View Full Version : Flip Saunders

David
02-01-2003, 07:03 AM
I was thinking about him, a little bit, when the Mavs played the TWolves the other night. He seems to be a pretty good coach. He seems to make the right moves, at the right time, and gets his players to play hard. His teams play conventional, straight up, NBA style basketball. No gimics. However, haven't the TWolves been eliminated in the 1st round, something like 6 years in a row?

aexchange
02-01-2003, 08:14 AM
i think the timberpups being eliminated from the playoffs has more to do with him having a lack of talent, then him not being able to coach.

if saunders were to replace nellie, i wouldnt mind it at all.

David
02-01-2003, 11:01 AM
<< i think the timberpups being eliminated from the playoffs has more to do with him having a lack of talent, then him not being able to coach.

if saunders were to replace nellie, i wouldnt mind it at all. >>

From what I can tell, he's solid. I don't think Kevin McHale would make the mistake of letting him go. I kind of wonder what some of the TWolves FANS are saying. Are they pointing to the playoff record and saying, &quot;see Saunders sucks, he can't win in the playoffs&quot; rather than looking at the actual situation he has to go through. Saunders has had to &quot;make do&quot; at PG ever since Marbury left and Marbury was a !#$%&amp; when he was in Minnesota.

MavKikiNYC
02-01-2003, 12:30 PM
As for the T-Wolves fans..

I think McHale is the one they're looking at and wondering about.

Nash13
02-01-2003, 02:21 PM
If you ask me, I would've taken Portland on their offer for Wallace and Bonzi Wells for Garnett. Instead of having two good player, they would just have one good, overpaid player.

centrlpark08
02-01-2003, 03:19 PM
Have any coaches ever gotten traded before?

LRB
02-01-2003, 03:27 PM
<< Have any coaches ever gotten traded before? >>

Well John Gruden does come to mind. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

ma-gaga
02-03-2003, 11:02 AM
No way I would EVER trade for Rasheed. Top 10 talent, top 10 headcase. And in the NBA, that's saying quite a lot.

Fidel
02-03-2003, 02:00 PM
<< I kind of wonder what some of the TWolves FANS are saying. Are they pointing to the playoff record and saying, &quot;see Saunders sucks, he can't win in the playoffs&quot; rather than looking at the actual situation he has to go through. Saunders has had to &quot;make do&quot; at PG ever since Marbury left and Marbury was a !#$%&amp; when he was in Minnesota. >>

David, nice try.
Here you go:

<< everyone that thinks flip is a good coach please stand up.
a lineup of hudson, ap, gill, trent and marc jackson on the floor together for nearly 6 minutes in the second quarter?? I wonder why we all of sudden found ourselves down 14 instead of being tied.

Flip had everyone kill themselves last night trying to the win and it ends up costing us two losses instead of one. We stunk up the building today. haven't seen that bad of a wolves performance for a while >>

<< flip has had a lot longer with the wolves to succeed than virtually any coach in any sport that I can recall.
I would not shed any tears if flip was fired. How long do you want to continue to have the wolves playing like they are?? Obviously the fans not going to TC agree that something needs to change considering they are starting to stay away. >>

This oneīs funny, they donīt like smallball either:

<< The biggest mistake is that flip has no idea how to use his players best. He has one of the best shooters in the NBA in wally and even now 4 years in the league wally still doesn't get nearly enough shots. Not to mention his love with small ball even though it fails miserably. and his love for AP to play even when AP is playing terrible. >>

<< Remember Flip IS part of the front office. He AND Kevin McHale make the decisions and both need to be held liable for the Wolves' problems. While McHale has made a couple of good moves, he has screwed things up more than not and Flip's coaching is terrible at time, ok at others. There are a lot of arguments both for and against Flip, but the numbers don't lie. Flip IS the only coach in NBA history to have taken a team five or more times to the playoffs and not win a series. That says something. He's been given the longest leash in the history of the NBA by the wuss writers and by his GM and he has taken advantage of it. If Flip were in NY, or LA for that matter, he would have been fired by now. >>

<< whoa. many other teams have been worse than us. many other teams have gone further with basically one superstar surrounded by a bunch of role players. that's what we got. kg would take this team to the playoffs with any coach. he is that good.
i will give flip this much: he knows how to motivate mediocre players, and he knows how to construct on offense where you can get a decent look at an 18 footer. he is poor at young player development, and analyzing matchups, which are the key to the nba. i think he has basically done an adequate job with the players he has to work with, but he does not seem to have the creativity to take it to the next level. give this team a riley, a van gundy, a larry brown, and we win at least one out of six first round series, i guarantee you that. >>

<< Terrell Brandon played a couple of very good season for the Wolves. Wally was an all-star last year. And KG is one of the best players on the planet. The role players may not be excellent, but they're not exactly a bunch of Trent Hassells, either. Sure, Flip does some things nice, but I think it's quite legitimate to question his ability when it comes to player rotations, player development and especially defense. The Wolves have never played good defense under Flip and until they do, they are doomed. >>

<< Can either WOTP or Moe give me three good reasons why AP should have taken those shots AND WHY Kendall Gill wasn't in the game down the stretch? >>

Well thatīs it, but there is alot more like this. Of course there are some flip supporters too, but the majority doesnīt like him. They ALL hate McHale.

David
02-03-2003, 05:41 PM
On the plus side, the TWolves have been IN the playoffs. A lot of teams can't even say that. Management, with the screwing up of the Joe Smith affair, messed Saunders over by extention, keeping draft picks from him that might have helped. Garnett's contract has kept them from adding talent, also. Terrell Brandon was counted on for heavy minutes, not to mention heavy money against the cap, so Saunders has been having to &quot;make do&quot; with lesser talent at PG. Yep, it looks like some TWolves fans suffer from unreasonable expectations, too. If they can't see how good of a coach Saunders is, that's too bad. He'll get fired and then settle into a GOOD situation and really strut his stuff.