PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know..

djb
06-12-2001, 01:07 PM
what's going on over at LMF? They're having some kind of "dispersal draft" i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif It looks interesting but I didn't want to look like an idiot and try to jump in, especially since it's been going on the last couple days.

LonestarROB
06-12-2001, 01:09 PM
lol, yeah, I don't know what the hells going on either. Looks like there having some kinda full draft with player currently playing in the NBA or something. I'm lost too i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

djb
06-12-2001, 01:10 PM
Yea that's what I figured, but I'm just curious as to how it got started, how they determined where each member stood in the draft, and what's the point of it all (in the end)?

LonestarROB
06-12-2001, 01:16 PM
Hell if I know i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif .

LonestarROB
06-12-2001, 01:25 PM
That's ALL that's going on there. No Mavs talk or anything. Just some draft game thingy that's really confusing.

djb
06-12-2001, 01:27 PM
Well at least there's something of interest (to them) going on there. Half the talk here is now just silly nonsense.

djb
06-12-2001, 01:27 PM
Maybe we should do something similar here. I'd laugh my ass off if Bradley were chosen as the overall top pick by a certain someone (or his brother).

LonestarROB
06-12-2001, 01:28 PM
I agree. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Mavinator
06-12-2001, 01:31 PM
I am a part-time lurker at LMF, and I can let you in on its goings-on... Ron, who is a kind of deity there, while ranting about how much the LMF board sucks, mentioned how a board he had formerly visited had held a big simulation draft of all the NBA players a long time ago, but that the visitors of LMF were so inept and basketball-deficient that the draft would probably not work there. The patriotic citizens of LMF were aghast at his accusations, and challenged him to hold the simulation draft. And so it was done... it's obvious that only people who really understand basketball can call out the names of their favorite players in order. LMF is vindicated!

Mavinator
06-12-2001, 01:32 PM
That's an amusing suggestion, dj, but I think I could retain seriousness if we had a dispersal draft here... depending on how many people participate, Bradley is probably a third or fourth round pick, or possibly second, depending on need...

djb
06-12-2001, 01:32 PM
LOL i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

But how did they go about choosing who gets the first, second, etc picks?

Mavinator
06-12-2001, 01:36 PM
First-come, first-serve for the first round, then they reversed picks for the second round... I don't know about the third. I would assume they kept reversing orders...

Mavinator
06-12-2001, 02:33 PM
eh, sorry I got a little side-tracked... in any case, I vote "yes" on holding a mock draft here.

LonestarROB
06-12-2001, 02:44 PM
I might do one with ya'll. ESPN does one every year about this time but they haven't posted any information though yet.

Smiles
06-12-2001, 05:21 PM
I don't know what LMF stands for. Will someone tell me, please? And DJ, what did you mean about a "certain someone (or his brother)"? Again, forgive my lack of understanding. I came into the fold at about the same time as the bandwagon people. The Mavs hadn't started winning so much, yet, when a friend started telling me about the players, their great characters, etc. I didn't know a thing about NBA basketball until I became introduced to them (so to speak) as people.

It's been super fun to read and post here. I'll miss you guys while I travel around this summer.

And Murphy, dear, try to be charming. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Big Boy Laroux
06-12-2001, 05:23 PM
ah... my turn. let's see if i can beat rob...

LMF = Lone Mavs Fan. it's another site

the guy and his brother are evilmav and mavinator, who have an unhealthy obsession with our beloved 7'6" center...

and we're definitely happy to have you aboard, smileatme.

LonestarROB
06-12-2001, 06:39 PM
lol BBL. Beat me this time. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

smile_at_me, the LMF(Lone Mavs Fan Homepage) can be found HERE (http://www.sportsonly.com/boards/mavs/)

Smiles
06-12-2001, 06:56 PM
*singing* "I can see clearly now..." Thanks Men!

Speaking of unhealthy obcessions, I can hardly believe how much time I spend checking this site, and the www.<dallasmavericks.com> site. It's been so fun. Thank goodness I've had the time. I hope my next job (start in Sept) lets me pop in here regularly.

djb
06-12-2001, 07:13 PM
Where will you be working in September?

Smiles
06-12-2001, 08:20 PM
It depends on who gives me the best offer! If I stay in San Diego, I'll work with Primerica (financial serivices). I don't have any offers from around Dallas yet, although that is where I really want to be. I have a home-based business, but it isn't established enough (yet) to be my day job. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif I gave my resume to a "pro" today, so perhaps I'll have a few leads over the summer.

djb
06-12-2001, 08:43 PM
Oh ok.. Financial/business stuff is just beyond me i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif My gf has been working for Ernst and Young in a financial services dept the last year but is now interviewing with Deloitte and Touche for a consulting position. That's all just mumbojumbo to me though! I told her to just go with the one that offered the most money i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Just out of curiosity, what's your home job?

Smiles
06-12-2001, 09:43 PM
Thank you for asking! I'm glad to tell you a bit about my business. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif
I'm a Director with Maxxis 2000. Our MegaMall, at <www.maxxis2000.com>, has 10 million products, and the prices are quite competitve. We also sell phone service, internet service, and nutritional suppliments. It didn't cost too much to join this network marketing company, and I have learned so much about the tax benefits of owning a business, accumulating assets, etc. I had no experience with business before this. A friend of mine with a Masters in Business says, "I could run a corporation, but before this company I knew nothing about building my own wealth." This company has been an incredible opportunity, and my associates are awesome. I love my work!

djb
06-12-2001, 10:19 PM
Oh I see. So it's like the Amway system? I know some people who are now pulling in near six figures by doing a minimal amount of work from their home (they have a TON of associates).

Smiles
06-12-2001, 10:39 PM
It is similar to Amway in that it is a network marketing company. I know Amway has left some people with a bad impression. My parents were in Amway. It took me a long time, and lots of searching for info, etc., to decide to go with Maxxis.

Big Boy Laroux
06-13-2001, 08:32 AM
WHOA! isn't this spamming...? i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Murphy3
06-13-2001, 08:49 AM
yeah, my father was into alot of the multi-level marketing crap.
every other time a new one came along, he'd say "this is gonna make us all rich, i can honestly say this is the best thing i've every seen"

Smiles
06-13-2001, 11:04 AM
*LOL* Big Boy, I didn't mean for any spamming to go on! i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif Just sharing something about me. I do get pretty excited about it. I'll tone it down, okay?
Sorry, Murphy, that such marketing burned you. I was there once too. I'm in this primarily for what I can learn about finances (since it is a new field for me). I feel that I have gotten my money's worth already. I don't think it's a good idea to jump into something like this with the idea that it will make you rich. This may strike you as funny, but you remind me more of my brother-in-law every day.

Murphy3
06-13-2001, 12:33 PM
well, you know what?...i'm sure some of the programs are good...and legitimate and i wish you the best of luck with it.
but, my dad didn't have the same luck usually..it didn't really burn me, just had to listen to all the b.s. all of the time.
he did do pretty well a couple of times, but overall, he lost more than his share.

good luck to you though

Mavinator
06-14-2001, 02:31 PM
The more I read from this Ron guy, the more hilarious it is to me. He sounds all intelligent and logical, and he gets all this respect, but he doesn't really understand basketball or the Mavericks at all. His big idea this offseason? Pick up Anthony Mason and Tyronn Lue. Yes, that's brilliant, get an aged, undersized, overrated PF/locker-room cancer and quick inexperienced point guard with virtually no game, his "defense" on Iverson notwithstanding. He also acts as if these moves are obvious and already decided by Mavs management...

giostar
06-14-2001, 07:46 PM
Ok... back to the subject. What is the purpose of this draft? Who is to say which team is better? Id be willing to jump in just to see who I could get. But is it set up for fantasy purposes? My first pick could be Nash though... just because hes dating Elizabeth Hurley, so I may not have that great of a team.

Mavinator
06-16-2001, 11:32 PM
Rick Fox has Vanessa Williams... does he go number 2?