PDA

View Full Version : What is your definition of a "second fiddle"

grbh
02-03-2003, 11:54 AM
There has been a lot of discussion about whether or not KG is a second fiddle (i.e. Pippen). I am curious to hear how everyone defines second fiddle.

Is it not leading your team to the NBA finals?

Inability to take over games in the crunch time?

What is your definition?

irontoad
02-03-2003, 03:46 PM
How can KG be a second fiddle when he's the best player on the team? I'd say second fiddle applied to Scottie Pippen when he was with the bulls because he was a good player, but he had a great player on the same team, Scottie was the second option, therefore second fiddle, IMO.

nowitzki_prophecy
02-03-2003, 04:34 PM
exactly! garnett's the first option on everything,how can you say he's second fiddle?
a good example of a second fiddle is Kobe,or Pedja.
if anyone is a second fiddle on the T-Puppies,its Wally.

LRB
02-03-2003, 04:35 PM
I would say taht a "second fiddle" is a player who is better at complimenting other players than being the main offensive threat. KG's game is like that. That's not a nock on him at all. Bill Russel was that way also, and you don't hear people knocking Russel. KG can be the best player on his team but still play second fiddle because some other player is the main offensive threat. That's not to say that KG can't score, because he is a very good scorer. He's just not a great scorer, but he is a great player.

grbh
02-03-2003, 06:18 PM
I'm not saying he is second fiddle, I'm saying a lot believe he can't carry a team, and should play second fiddle.

Epitome22
02-03-2003, 07:44 PM
The first year Jordan was in retirement, the Pippen led Bulls were a mirror image of what KG has done with the T-Pups several seasons now. Pippen had the most solid, all around game in the league, he handled the ball, he could pass, was a stifling defender, a good rebounder, and got you 19-20 points a game As the first option on the team, but he was still a second fiddle even though he was the first option. Garnett, like Pippen is a player who's abilities are best utilized complimenting another player who is a more capable scorer, is more clutch and can take over a game in the 4th with more regularity. I would love to see Garnett paired with a great scoring guard on a team before he dies. Even though he is overrated, I would especially like to see him play with Iverson.

jayC
02-06-2003, 09:10 PM
A guy that rides the double teams of others. Kobe Bryant.

KG maybe 6 consecutive first round exits. Keep in mind Tim Duncan and the spurs have less scoring than KG. Duncan is a better low post player.
He has had good supporting cast but everyone says he doesn't. He had Stephon Marbury a great scorer. You keep making excuses for him not to succeed other than the fact that he isn't a superstar. Jamal Mashburn perfect example great scorer for the mavs but just couldn't do it for himself.

Its almost like the bad disease. You keep saying their young and they have potential its like a virus.

Evilmav2
02-06-2003, 11:03 PM
I don't know about my definition of a second fiddle, but here is my definition of a "13th" or "14th" Fiddle:

http://images.sportsline.com/images/basketball/nba/players/60x80/139103.jpg
Broken Fiddle

LRB
02-06-2003, 11:16 PM
LOL Evil.

FlyinGK22
02-08-2003, 08:13 PM
haha, hey wang is a great guy.

centrlpark08
02-08-2003, 08:20 PM
ewww.........wang looks weird in that pic.