PDA

View Full Version : Riley Watch

MavKikiNYC
02-06-2003, 08:44 AM
Heat v. Blazers Box (http://www.nba.com/games/20030205/PORMIA/boxscore.html)

Is Pat Riley paranoid or do NBA officials have it in for him and the Heat?

Jim Capers, Derrick Stafford and Anthony Jordan called a game last night in which the Blazers shot 32 FTs (making 25) to the Heat's 7 (they made all 7).

I'd love to see the stats that Riley is generating showing how many times the Heat take it to the hole and don't get the call, versus the other team. Doubtless Cuban is doing the same thing in terms of stat keeping.

LRB
02-06-2003, 12:41 PM
32 to 7. Sounds like Riles has some evidence to back up his argument.

TexRich23
02-09-2003, 03:20 PM
They hate Riles no doubt.

centrlpark08
02-09-2003, 09:13 PM
What a bunch of HATERS.........

MavKikiNYC
02-11-2003, 07:20 PM
Heat's Riley Fined $20,000

NEW YORK, Feb. 11 -- Miami Heat head coach Pat Riley has been fined $20,000 for publicly criticizing game officials to assembled media, it was announced Tueday by Stu Jackson, NBA Senior Vice President, Basketball Operations.

The incident occurred following the Heatís 101-87 home loss to the Portland Trail Blazers on February 5 in Miami.

MavKikiNYC
02-11-2003, 07:22 PM
Stern defends minions

Shootaround: Stern warning: Lay off the refs
02/11/2003

He's heard the moaning and complaining. He's seen the ugly confrontations, some of which have escalated into physical contact. He's concerned about the dark, tempestuous shadows that threaten the beauty of his sport.

So NBA commissioner David Stern issued his buck-stops-here speech during the All-Star weekend. Cleaning up the league's problems involving players, coaches and referees rests solely in his hands.

"I've let it be known," Stern said. "I'm prepared to do the heavy lifting."

The league already has done plenty of lifting this season. Utah coach Jerry Sloan and Portland forward Rasheed Wallace received seven-game suspensions for incidents involving officials. Indiana coach Isiah Thomas received a two-game suspension after rushing on the court to protest a call. Miami coach Pat Riley received a $50,000 fine for criticizing officials.

"Pat's having a tough year, and he's letting it get to him," Stern said.

Players Association president Billy Hunter said he's noticed a "ratcheting-up of punishment and sanctions" this season. Stern agreed with that assessment. Expect it to continue.

"If people are not getting the message," Stern said, "we're just going to have to make it stronger."

Those people will not be limited to players and coaches. He said referees also will receive closer scrutiny on any actions that may incite responses. But he concedes those officials are in a Catch-22 situation.

If they argue with coaches and players, they're seen as confrontational. If they back away to the other side of the court, they're seen as arrogant.

"It's not the easiest line to define," Stern said. "But I'll take responsibility for it. I'll define it."

Michael Jordan said this weekend that officials are simply trying to be "part of the show" and that referees, players and coaches "have to bring their egos down."

If they don't, Stern will bring them down for them.

Of course, he might want to start in his own office. On one of the NBA's registration-required Web sites, there's a contest called "You Make The Call." The opening line reads: "Everybody loves to second-guess referees."

LRB
02-11-2003, 07:30 PM
You can always count on King David to firmly entrench the NBA's collective head in the sand whenever a problem arises.