PDA

View Full Version : New Rumor Spurs GP trades steve smith and Tony Parker

jayC
02-07-2003, 01:11 PM
Here is the rundown the spurs trade steve smith and Tony Parker.
Seattle recieves a young player barely making one million dollars and get 10 million dollars in cap room. Might be enough to sign Elton Brand.

San Antonio get ready to roll and become a championship caliber team. Plus they keep their cap space GP is free next year. And can still go after the pipe dream kidd.

Blonde Bomber
02-07-2003, 02:02 PM
That would be scary for Seattle to GIVE them Gary Payton.
Lets hope it doesn't happen..

BrianJ
02-07-2003, 02:28 PM
I can see that possibly happening. Even if it does all it means is that both teams are worse off this year then before. For Seattle it could spell serious rebuilding years. But might as well not delay the inevitable.

OutletPass
02-07-2003, 02:42 PM
JayC - where does this info come from ?

Ummmmm Ok
02-07-2003, 02:46 PM
yea but the problem here is.....What if San Antonio doesn't sign Kidd in the offseason? Do they put all their eggs in one basket in trying to resign The Glove? If I was the Owner of the Spurs, which I do know him personally, I wouldn't take the big risk of your future on a gamble that might or might not pay off.

jayC
02-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Sean D. from the sporting news was on with Norm on the ticket around 11:30 am

OutletPass
02-07-2003, 03:11 PM
Thanks JayC...there's an interesting comment on Brand in todays's ESPN Insider, which I posted just a bit ago. Looks like everyone is going to be jumping ship on the Clips.

Nash13
02-07-2003, 03:18 PM
that would kinda create a problem for both teams. For Seattle, the only reason why they've one the games they played is b/c of Gary Payton, Tony Parker doesn't have that leadership mentality. I think parker needs another star player to depend on. For the Spurs, it would depend on if they wanted to get Jason Kidd next yr, b/c he has more yrs left than payton. I don't think they're going to get Duncan back next season, and there isn't enough offensive talent on the Spurs that Payton could work with.

Blonde Bomber
02-07-2003, 03:31 PM
<< that would kinda create a problem for both teams. For Seattle, the only reason why they've one the games they played is b/c of Gary Payton, Tony Parker doesn't have that leadership mentality. I think parker needs another star player to depend on. For the Spurs, it would depend on if they wanted to get Jason Kidd next yr, b/c he has more yrs left than payton. I don't think they're going to get Duncan back next season, and there isn't enough offensive talent on the Spurs that Payton could work with. >>

If I'm correct...both Kidd and Payton are free next year. So how would it affect the Spurs if they trade for Payton and then just sign Kidd when Payton and Robinson's contract are off the books.
Plus there is know way Duncan leaves SA. He loves it there. And with the Magic's problems(Hill can't stay healthy, and there inability to dumnp salary)I can't see him going to Orlando. So it looks like Duncan is staying put. I would not be suprised at all to see Kidd in a Spurs uniform if he doesn't re-up with New Jersey.
I would love the position the the Spurs are in. They are going to have plenty of cap space to make some noise..with a signed Duncan.

LRB
02-07-2003, 03:38 PM
Scary trade. But it will take the Spurs time to adjust if it goes through. They may have problems with adjustment in the post season as we did. So it's not a given that it will be all positive for them. Also, I think it would take Seattle out of the playoff chase and make it that much easier for the Fakers.

Nash13
02-07-2003, 04:16 PM
BB, in case you don't hear press conferences after the Spurs get knocked out the playoffs, Tim Duncan often puts down his team. Next yr would mark the first yr that he would have to play center considering Robinson is leaving. I didn't realized that Payton was a free agent after the season, i thought he was signed to a 4yr deal. That's another bad thing. After this season, they'd be without a point guard. Nothings for sure on whether Kidd will sign. At least Parker would still be a Sonic.

Ummmmm Ok
02-07-2003, 04:43 PM
Thats why Spurs would never pull that trade. You would be giving up on a young &quot;possible&quot; future all star in Tony Parker for a gamble on Kidd. I guess if you was really confident that Kidd was leaving New Jersey than you could do this. Everything I have heard from message boards and quotes from Kidd though says he likes New Jersey.

Of course the Spurs would have the money to just outbid everybody for The Glove. Of course there is always Sam Cassell?

If I was the spurs, I would just forget about Kidd and Payton and put all my attention towards Duncan and than either Brand or Jermain Oneil and than maybe bring in a Maggette or a Shammond Williams.

jayC
02-07-2003, 04:50 PM
Except the Spurs have to pull out a sign and trade to give kidd the max contract.

Not to mention they need scoring GP is the better shooter and is leading the league in assists.

TexRich23
02-07-2003, 05:29 PM
Hello All,

Yeah I would read more on the NBA's Collective Bargaining Agreement to see if all those transactions could even take place. Go to RealGM.com to verify, Or otherwise they are all just Fantasy.

Richard

jayC
02-07-2003, 06:36 PM
San Antonio trades: PG Tony Parker (15.1 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 5.4 apg in 35.2 minutes)
PG Speedy Claxton (7.7 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 3.3 apg in 21.7 minutes)
SG Steve Smith (7.8 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 1.6 apg in 23.1 minutes)
San Antonio receives: PG Gary Payton (20.6 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 9.0 apg in 40.8 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -10.0 ppg, -1.9 rpg, and -1.3 apg.

Seattle trades: PG Gary Payton (20.6 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 9.0 apg in 40.8 minutes)
Seattle receives: PG Tony Parker (15.1 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 5.4 apg in 49 games)
PG Speedy Claxton (7.7 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 3.3 apg in 3 games)
SG Steve Smith (7.8 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 1.6 apg in 34 games)
Change in team outlook: +10.0 ppg, +1.9 rpg, and +1.3 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to San Antonio and Seattle being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. San Antonio and Seattle had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out unless trade exceptions were used for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

see the sporting news other post.

You have been assigned Trade ID number 924302

Talk about it on the Trade Board

How to use Trade ID: Go to http://www.realgm.com and enter the
trade id into the box provided on the left menu bar, then press go.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click here to try another trade with new teams, or click here to try another trade between these teams.

centrlpark08
02-07-2003, 06:36 PM
This trade sounds good and bad. The good is that it would be a big named player getting traded, the bad is that the Mavs dont need another player like GP to start going crazy on the Mavs if we played them and seattle would probably be doing the right thing. Its not like they were going to give GP the money he wanted and they get back parker and signed some big FA.