PDA

View Full Version : Jermaine Oneal a spur a Maverick nightmare?

jayC
02-09-2003, 05:33 PM
Everyone remembers the twin towers how they dominated the NBA for that strike shortened season what about jermaine and Duncan what a force that could be? Here is an article on RealGM media day at the All-Star game.

Overheard at Media Day

For anyone who hasn’t ventured into All-Star Media Day, it’s an eye-opening experience.

The interviewing area this year was in a ballroom in Atlanta’s Hyatt Downtown. Inside the ballroom were about 30 circular tables, each seating about 10 people.

The players are brought into the interviewing area in waves, the first hour featuring the participants of the got milk? Rookie Challenge, the Dunk Contest, and the 3 point Shootout. The second hour would feature the NBA All-Stars and coaches.

The players are led to their own individual tables, seated, and then proceed to answer the same questions over and over until the hour is up.

Reporters, cameras, and anyone remotely associated with the media crowd around the tables, trying to get their questions asked.

Some players are easier to talk to than others due to the crush of people that surround them.

For example, if you wanted to speak to Yao Ming or Shaquille O’Neal, it was no problem, except that each was surrounded by no fewer than 100 people at any time during their hour.

In the case of Ming, it was doubly frustrating because each question takes twice as long to answer because it’s going through an interpreter, and some members of the media enjoy the process of hogging all of the questions, sometimes throwing out ridiculous questions such as asking the player’s favorite color or food, and shoe size.

On the other hand, if you wanted to speak with Charlotte’s David Wesley, or Memphis’ Wesley Person, you could walk right up and fire away. And I would think they would even answer the most outlandish of questions.

Surprisingly, the players answer every question with interest and thoroughness, and none of the players seen today seemed bored or agitated with being there, even the players like Kevin Garnett, who have made a habit of being at these functions.

Of course, maybe the ones that have a problem with the process were the ones who didn’t come at all.

Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, and Allen Iverson were all no shows today (a 10,000 dollar fine, it’s believed), as was Manu Ginobili of San Antonio, though Manu was said to have been injured.

But even with the absence of some of the league’s top players didn’t stop the media throngs, who pressed players like Jermaine O’Neal and Jamal Mashburn long after the hour was up, following the players out into the lobby, tape rolling of course.

Overheard during Media Day

Jermaine a Spur?

Jermaine O’Neal was questioned about his plans for next season, in which the All-Star forward can be a free agent. The reporter asked about San Antonio, which is in line to have some cap room and would like to replace center David Robinson.

O’Neal approached the question carefully, but allowed that he really liked Spurs coach Greg Popovich, Tim Duncan, and the team as a whole.

When asked if it was safe to assume that there is mutual interest between himself and the Spurs, O’Neal hesitated to answer before relenting and saying that there was mutual interest.

The point guard conflict in Chicago continues to churn.

When asked about the situation that sees himself battling for minutes with fellow Bulls point guard Jamal Crawford, Jay Williams said, “I think it’s real frustrating. The media try to pit Jamal and I against each other, like we resent each other, but it’s not really like that. It’s that we are both really competitive players who want to succeed. When I first came in, I was made to think that we would be playing together, and that was some motivation. And then they tell us we’re not and that we would have to split time, it’s tough. Whenever we get taken out for each other, we tell each other that “It’s not your fault.” That’s how it is, and it’s hard.”

Teammate Tyson Chandler said that, “It’s a tough situation. Both guards are starting guards in the NBA. It’s an interesting situation because both of them are point guards, and point guards want to control the game, and don’t want to take a back seat to anyone.”

When asked if he knew whether or not there was an imminent resolution to the problem, Chandler responded, “Nobody knows. It’s a tough situation, and I am glad I don’t have to make it, but I don’t want to see either go.”

Mavericks Nowitzki, Nash wistful about Finley

Ask Dirk Nowitzki or Steve Nash about their second year together at the all-star game, and they’ll tell you that it’s a blast, and that there is nothing like it.

Ask them about teammate Michael Finley, and both players rally to their absent teammates cause.

“I am still a little frustrated about Michael not being here,” says Nowitzki. “I mean, he deserves it as much as both of us (he and Nash) do, so I am a little frustrated, but I am glad that Steve is here.”

Adds Nash, “I think Michael deserved to be in the game, and sometimes this process can be unjust. I wish he was here because I feel he earned it and he’s a lot of fun.”

FlyinGK22
02-09-2003, 05:42 PM
oh god, if the spurs get jermaine oneal, they will be the yankees of basketball. nobody could stop that! especially with all those sleepers (parker, jackson, etc.) wow, that would be one tough team to beat.

Epitome22
02-09-2003, 05:59 PM
You'd effectivly have the 2 best post players not named Shaq playing on the same squad. Although I doubt either him or Duncan could legitimatly play center.

centrlpark08
02-09-2003, 08:02 PM
I hope jermaine is smart enought to go somewhere else besides the spurs.