PDA

View Full Version : Brand wants out, other key restricted free agents, and more on game 7 and no luxury tax?

jayC
02-10-2003, 05:56 PM
HOLDING OUT HOPE
Last week we talked about the Spur’s Steve Smith, and the number of team expressing interest in acquiring him for his ending contract, it got to the point where Steve himself started entertaining the talk of new destinations, after all he has made it known this is likely his last NBA contract.
Smith, who is basically a $9 million ‘lottery ticket’, giving the team that holds him on July 1st a lot of breathing room, no one would fault the Spurs for moving him, especially if it returned the missing piece to championship dominance, not that the Spurs don’t look like they could contend now. The big rumor was the Spurs were holding out for Jason Kidd this summer planning to dangle a maximum contract for him to play in San Antonio; most considered that a long shot but Jason Kidd may have secured Steve Smith’s place in San Antonio this weekend, telling reporters from San Antonio he was definitely interested in talking to the Spurs this summer saying "It's still wide open. ... It won't shut until I sign with a team ... San Antonio happens to be one of the teams ... that I feel that I can help that team win a championship... But we have to see come July 1... It would be hard to turn down playing with a big man like Tim Duncan. ... But I'm happy with the guys that we have in K-Mart (Kenyon Martin) and R.J. (Richard Jefferson) right now. But come July 1, I will see what the Alamo has to offer... I don't want to fall into that category of a player who couldn't win a ring. I have to go where ... you know, money isn't the issue... So that will be the least of my worries. The big worry ... is trying to win a championship. I'm not saying I'm going anywhere. I'm going to leave the door wide open and look at the good teams that I can win a championship with." Hey Smitty.. you ain’t going anywhere, J. Kidd needs your salary spot.

IS BRAND AVAILABLE?
For months now, we have been talking about the Free Agent class of 2004, while 2003 has a lot of nice names in it, most of them are restricted free agents, who teams can match, and as last summer showed, few teams are willing to bid for a player.
Many of the rising stars, especially the Clippers are looking at 2003 as just another summer, mostly because its expected that they will simply take the Qualifying Offers that get laid out to secure the right to match, and then become an unrestricted free agent the following summer. Uber agent David Falk has made it clear that his client Elton Brand was not too interested in long term life as a Clipper, in fact its been suggested that the Clips cash out Elton this year because next year they would explore who has love for Elton, but unless they agreed to a sign and trade Elton was prepared to Michael Olowokandi them, sign the Offer Sheet, and lock the Clips out of the process. Once a player signs the Qualifying Offer, they can not be traded, meaning if the Clips don’t deal Brand now, or at least sign and trade him this summer they will lose him for nothing, and anyone who’s followed Falk knows he always wins these types of games. Clipper’s sources were not available to confirm or deny this rumor, but its getting around Atlanta that Falk is pushing for a trade, and if the Clips play it smart, he might end up elsewhere before the deadline.

KEY PLAYERS WHO CAN BE RESTRICTED: These are the bigger name guys that can be offered a Qualifying Offer, and become restricted free agents: Elton Brand, Lamar Odom , Richard Hamilton, Andre Miller, Jason Terry, Corey Maggette, James Posey.

BEST OF 7?
The NBA and its players have agreed to expand the playoffs to a Best of Seven series throughout the post season. The first round had been a best of 5 series since 1984, the NBA’s TV partners had long pushed for 7 games, and it seems the Players who had fought such a change had finally given in.
Why? LUXURY TAX… an NBA playoff game represents over $1 million to the team, and much more to the League and their TV partners, the more cash the league brings in the better chances of no luxury tax, no use of the player escrow tax, and more importantly a rise in the salary cap. The NBA announced that the change in the Playoff structure will yield a $750,000 increase in the playoff pool, or monies paid to the players in addition to their salaries. Making the 2003 pool $8.875 million and $9 million in 2004-05. The league also adjusted some other rules, ruling that Veterans with at least four years' experience will not be required to report for the first three days of training camp in 2003-2004, and the first five days of training camp in 2004-2005, and 2005-2006. Teams will also be prohibited from holding two-a-day practices after the 10th day of training camp. The NBA will begin the 2003-04 season with two games in Japan and exhibition games during the preseason in Spain, France, Mexico, Puerto Rico and China.

SOME SHOTS
Here are some of the random stories from the week…

ELIGIBLE WITHOUT A FIGHT: NBA Commissioner David Stern announced yesterday that the league would be altering the ruling barring Euro sensations
Darko Milicic and Sofoklis Schortsianides from being part of the 2003 NBA Draft. Stern while speaking with the media in Atlanta said "On the basis of the players' support, we've instructed our lawyers to make an agreement that would have the impact to make him eligible" The new ‘revised’ rule will state a player must turn 18 in the calendar year of the draft, not 45 days prior to the draft. While this sets a dangerous precedent, it apparently has the support of the Player’s Association. Milicic a 7’1 forward/center is said to be the 2nd best talent in the draft class and is expected to go number 2 overall, after LeBron James. Schortsianides will likely be a first round selection, but is a stretch to go lottery.

KUDOS FOR HIGH DEF: After receiving a personal phone call from Time Warner Cable advising that the NBA and TNT were broadcasting the
All-Star events in High Definition, for those of you who missed the High Def experience, let me tell you it was truly amazing. Not only was the clarity breath taking it really was the next best thing to being courtside. Mark Cuban. The Mavericks owner has been pushing the NBA to deploy High Def, likely because he owns HDNet, The All-Star events last night and the game itself tonight look to be the signature events of the season unless ABC rolls out High Def for the playoffs, just as they did for the NFL’s Superbowl

THE KING RETURNS: After serving one of his two game suspension (the other will be done at a later date),
Ohio phenom LeBron James came back with a vengeance setting a new career high of 52 points, going 21 of 34 shots from the field, including six 3-pointers. James told media he said to his team before the game he was really feeling it speaking to media after the game James added "If you remember earlier this year after the Hummer incident, I came back and scored 50. This time I got 52. If something happens again, I am going to score 52 points again." The next big name in the High School world was in attendance, Lincoln stud Sebastian Telfair, James while running past Telfair joked, that he was next and next year the spotlight would be on him. Lincoln is already in discussions about having their games televised next year. Many scouts say if James is the next Kobe/Tmac, Telfair is the next James.

grbh
02-11-2003, 08:16 AM
I would give the Clips just about anything they would want for Brand. Granted player wise, I don't know what we could offer, but they like picks.

So how about (3) 1st Rounders, Cash, any combination of players not named Finley, Dirk, or Nash. I doubt that would interest them, but barring a three team deal I can't think of anything else the Mavs could offer.

LRB
02-11-2003, 08:54 AM
I think that Magette is the most obtainable Clipper. I'm sure the clips will lose him to FA as well as brand. I would like to see us make a strong run at him before the trading deadline. Offer picks, cash, and spares. Donald Sterling is just dumb enough and just cheap enough that it might work. We don't have a legit shot at brand, but we might have an outside shot at Magette.

Dooby
02-11-2003, 09:02 AM
For some reason, the league rules prohibit trading multiple consecutive first round picks. For example, the Mavs cannot trade their 2003 and 2004 first rounders as part of the same trade. I believe they could trade their 2003 and 2005, however.

Seems to me the only way to trade for Brand involves a first-rounder, Najera, cash and the $900K trade exception.

FilthyFinMavs
02-11-2003, 03:11 PM
<< For some reason, the league rules prohibit trading multiple consecutive first round picks. For example, the Mavs cannot trade their 2003 and 2004 first rounders as part of the same trade. I believe they could trade their 2003 and 2005, however.

Seems to me the only way to trade for Brand involves a first-rounder, Najera, cash and the $900K trade exception. >>

I'd do that quicker than you can say Najera. Not sure if Clipps would even consider that but how would the Clipps feel giving a conference rival a great player in Brand? Anyway we can bring a 3rd team into this to make it more of a better trade for Clips? Maybe the Knicks could send KT to the Clips Mavs get Brand and send Nick to the Knicks? I know Nick gets paid double there salaries but it was just an idea.

FilthyFinMavs
02-12-2003, 05:13 PM
<<

<< For some reason, the league rules prohibit trading multiple consecutive first round picks. For example, the Mavs cannot trade their 2003 and 2004 first rounders as part of the same trade. I believe they could trade their 2003 and 2005, however.

Seems to me the only way to trade for Brand involves a first-rounder, Najera, cash and the $900K trade exception. >>

I'd do that quicker than you can say Najera. Not sure if Clipps would even consider that but how would the Clipps feel giving a conference rival a great player in Brand? Anyway we can bring a 3rd team into this to make it more of a better trade for Clips? Maybe the Knicks could send KT to the Clips Mavs get Brand and send Nick to the Knicks? I know Nick gets paid double there salaries but it was just an idea. >>

Did no one catch me saying this? I just find it funny that I say something that Norm says the next morning.

MFFL
02-12-2003, 08:24 PM
<< Did no one catch me saying this? I just find it funny that I say something that Norm says the next morning. >>

NORM!

centrlpark08
02-12-2003, 08:28 PM
good idea!......

FilthyFinMavs
02-12-2003, 08:45 PM
<<

<< Did no one catch me saying this? I just find it funny that I say something that Norm says the next morning. >>

NORM! >>

Ha. Naw not me but maybe he's a member of this board?i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif

Lvubun1
02-12-2003, 11:22 PM
The only way the Mavs get Brand is with a three-way outside of the big 3 nobody has trade value besides NVE, and we all know how cheap the Clippers are.

And1Ballers
02-12-2003, 11:38 PM
Brand=pipedream, I am not holding my breathe.

jayC
02-13-2003, 02:35 PM
Smoke that pipe dram.

jayC
02-13-2003, 02:35 PM
Smoke that pipe dram.