PDA

View Full Version : 2/10 Update from ESPN INSIDER

OutletPass
02-11-2003, 12:59 AM
Kidd, Duncan still courting each other

The coming of age of some of the NBA's brightest young stars wasn't the only story coming out of Atlanta on Sunday. Here's what we've been hearing . . .

Jason Kidd looks like he's ready to bolt the Nets for the Spurs this summer. Sources told Insider that he's been buddying up with Tim Duncan all weekend and has hinted to several players, for the first time, that his decision will be between New Jersey and San Antonio.Couple that news with the fact that the Spurs recently discontinued talks with the Hawks about Shareef Abdur-Rahim (his contract would've prevented the team from signing Kidd) and his comments to the media this weekend concerning the Spurs and Duncan and the writing may be on the wall.

While Kidd insists that he's happy in New Jersey, he says his decision will be based on which team will give him the best shot at winning an NBA Championship. "San Antonio happens to be one of the teams ... that I feel that I can help that team win a championship," Kidd told the media. "But we have to see come July 1. . .It would be hard to turn down playing with a big man like Tim Duncan. ... But I'm happy with the guys that we have in K-Mart [Kenyon Martin] and R.J. [Richard Jefferson] right now. But come July 1, I will see what the Alamo has to offer."

The big question is, will it be enough? The Spurs do have the reigning MVP, but little else in terms of young talent. Their other best player, Tony Parker, happens to play point guard. While Duncan believes the two could play together, more likely the team would try to package Parker in a trade to bring in some more low-post help. However, that will be difficult considering that Parker will make just $856,000 next season.

Other than Duncan and Parker, the only other players signed for next season are small forward Bruce Bowen, rookie two guard Emanuel Ginobili and sixth man Malik Rose. If the Spurs max out Kidd and Duncan, there won't be enough cap room left to add any more top talent to the team. Is a combo of Kidd and Duncan enough to get it done in the West?

"That's a tough call," one Eastern Conference executive told Insider. "They're already playing well without him. But they could use some more young talent. The thing that's nice about New Jersey is they have some nice young pieces like Kenyon and Jefferson. If they could get a nice young big for Parker, but I'm not sure they'll have enough flexibility to get anything else done. If they don't find a legit center somewhere to back-up Duncan, they'll really be hurting."

KG looking for a sidekick

After months of heavy lifting for lone All-Stars like Kevin Garnett and Tracy McGrady, it was finally nice to have some help for once.

Garnett, fresh off winning All-Star Game MVP honors, made a point of saying we'd see more games like that (37 points, 9 rebounds) out of him if the T-Wolves would just surround him with more talent. "I think you put talent around any other kind of talent, things happen," Garnett said. "I'm not a GM. I don't really make any decision or anything like that. You look at a lot of teams, and that's what they have, a lot of talent, and that's why they are successful."

Garnett has shouldered much of the blame for the T-Wolves inability to get out of the first round of the playoffs. KG has grown increasingly frustrated by the team's inability -- due to the luxury tax and lack of assets -- to make a trade that brings in some veteran help. With Wally Szczerbiak still not 100 percent, KG has been doing it virtually alone this season.

If that doesn't change soon, according to one source close to KG, he'll never sign an extension. "He really wants to win. He likes Minnesota and wants to stay there, but if they can't give him more help, he's gone. That's the bottom line. The money's important, but he wants to have a sidekick like Shaq and Michael did. He thinks that's the key to the rings."

Magic: Hill may not be coming back

Tracy McGrady, on the other hand, has his sidekick. But with Grant Hill's future in serious doubt, it was nice for T-Mac to get away from everything in Orlando during All-Star Weekend. Sunday's revelation that the Magic believe Hill's career may be over is just the latest in a series of bombshells in Orlando. "We finally have moved forward as an organization -- that he isn't coming back, and if he does it's icing on the cake. Then it's an unbelievable bonus," Magic COO John Weisbrod told the Orlando Sentinel. "The way we got ourselves in trouble was believing he would be back soon."

"It gets to me, because I really thought we would be competing for an NBA title by now," McGrady told the Florida Times Union. "But it's to the point where I don't know when we'll be able to do that. My team hasn't been healthy in three years, and until I can play with a healthy Grant Hill, I don't know how far I can go. It's tough. "It's frustrating, because I come to the All-Star Game and see guys like Kobe Bryant. He's got Shaquille O'Neal in the middle and three [championship rings]. You wonder what you could do if you had the big guy in the middle like that."

He's not the only one frustrated in Orlando right now. A series of front office mistakes has the Magic in turbulent waters. From signing Hill without fully realizing the extent of his injury, to re-signing Bo Outlaw instead of Ben Wallace, then trading away Outlaw and a draft pick that would become Amare Stoudemire for Jud Buechler, the Magic are running out of luck. "Mistakes were made," Weisbrod told the Sentinel. "Some of our thinking, when you look back on it now, may sound like buffoonery. And as a small-market team, you can't immediately buy your way out of mistakes."

To make matters worse, the Magic, who made many questionable moves to clear cap space, are now only looking at four to five million in cap room next summer. That's not enough to land a top prize like Tim Duncan or Jermaine O'Neal. "At times now, you say, 'God darn it, what were we thinking?' " coach Doc Rivers said. "But that doesn't do any good now. There were times we had our disagreements. It has been tense at times, especially early on in the decision-making process, but we really do work well together now. Obviously, we all know we have to improve our talent. That might be why I'm included more now."

"We don't disagree with the fans who are unhappy and frustrated. We know we've got to win," GM John Gabriel told the Sentinel. "The second-guessing, the finger-pointing, that all comes with the territory. We're a franchise that went from having the best player in the mid-'90s [Shaquille O'Neal], lost him, then four years later got him back [McGrady]. We'll bounce back again. It just doesn't happen overnight."

Fidel
02-11-2003, 01:59 AM
Kidd and Duncan would be scary.

And thanks for posting all those insider articles OP. Keep it up.

OzMavs
02-11-2003, 04:17 AM
Thanks OP. The articles are much appreciated.

turbo.mav
02-11-2003, 05:12 AM
*looks around for grbh*

Yeah, thanks for posting these OP.

MavsFanFinley
02-11-2003, 09:09 AM
I'll chime in and say thank you too, OP!! The articles are appreciated.

I was listening to some sports talk show last night and a lot people were unhappy with Kidd's comments. Really for the fact that he'd discuss another team before becoming a free agent.

Blonde Bomber
02-11-2003, 11:16 AM
yeah...thanks OP..really great.

On the paring of Kidd and Duncan...what good are they if they can't fit pieces around them? Granted that puts them up in elite status..but they can't dominate like Kobe and Shaq can. They would still need help.

Fidel
02-11-2003, 01:05 PM
<< On the paring of Kidd and Duncan...what good are they if they can't fit pieces around them? Granted that puts them up in elite status..but they can't dominate like Kobe and Shaq can. They would still need help. >>

BlondeBomber, thatīs exactly the part of the article Iīm not so sure about. The way Kidd makes everyone better they probably wouldnīt need any more good players. Maybe Duncan, Kidd and a bunch of decent role players would be enough. Since Kidd isnīt a great scorer theyīd probably need some offensive firepower. Maybe Ginobili can give them that, but even if he doesnīt develope, swingman and two guards are easy to pick up. And like the article says they could trade Parker for a bigman. A backup type would be enough.

Blonde Bomber
02-11-2003, 01:13 PM
<<

<< On the paring of Kidd and Duncan...what good are they if they can't fit pieces around them? Granted that puts them up in elite status..but they can't dominate like Kobe and Shaq can. They would still need help. >>

BlondeBomber, thatīs exactly the part of the article Iīm not so sure about. The way Kidd makes everyone better they probably wouldnīt need any more good players. Maybe Duncan, Kidd and a bunch of decent role players would be enough. Since Kidd isnīt a great scorer theyīd probably need some offensive firepower. Maybe Ginobili can give them that, but even if he doesnīt develope, swingman and two guards are easy to pick up. And like the article says they could trade Parker for a bigman. A backup type would be enough. >>

Your right Fidel...It just sucks seeing a division foe possible having 2 elite players on there team..DAMNi/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif

Blonde Bomber
02-11-2003, 01:16 PM
DAMN...I had no idea that Amare Stoudemire came from the trade of Outlaw.

How scary would Orlando be if they kept Ben Wallace and had the stud in Stoudemire to pair along with McGrady. Now that's scary!!!

jayC
02-11-2003, 05:06 PM
Why what is the spurs biggest need after this season scoring, kidd doesn't solve there problems. He has improved. He doesn't solve any big need for the spurs at all. Center anyone Candiman should go to San Antonio to complement Duncan. As for KG he will not be in minnesota for much longer. Kidd has big talk know but will he really take the paycut only New Jersey can give him a full max contract.

As for KG if he is out of the playoffs how will he feel then.

Drbio
02-11-2003, 05:57 PM
OP is da man!

OutletPass
02-11-2003, 09:29 PM
No problem, everyone, it's my pleasure to be able to post these for everyone to see. Glad that you enjoy them.

Morphgizmo
02-12-2003, 09:43 AM
Spurs fans everywhere are chiming in on the Kidd situation. Just like them, I too am reluctant. There is no question that Kidd does numerous things for a team that don't show up on the stat sheet. But there are a ton of things to consider.

What about Parker? Parker will make around $900k next year, while Kidd will command the max of around $12 million to start. There is no question that Kidd is much better than the surging Parker, but you have to ask yourself a few questions. First off, is Kidd $11.1 million better than Parker? I'm not so sure. What if the Spurs stayed with Parker and his cheap salary and went after a big like O'Neal, Brad Miller, Kandi or Brand? How about grabbing a PJ Brown or Elden Campbell type of big and while adding an Odom or Stackhouse kind of player? Lest we forget, Corey Maggette will be floating around this offseason as well.

Is Kidd &gt; Parker?

Of course, but maybe this questions is more pertinent.

Is Kid + Duncan + Manu + Jackson + Rose better than Parker + Duncan + Brand/Miller/Kandi/O'Neal/Odom/Maggette + Jackson + Rose?

Parker is getting better by the game. Check his stats over this past 6-1 Spurs road trip. He's playing like a borderline all star with room to get better.

I'm thinking that I would rather add a good big and maybe a perimeter stud as opposed to the Duncan/Kidd combo.

Morphgizmo
02-12-2003, 10:00 AM
Just to add to that, the Spurs are 16-0 when Parker scores 20 or more.

He's been at or above that number for all six of the Spurs road wins on this mondo roadie. In fact, his numbers are much better on the road than at home this season. That's pretty impressive for a 20 year old point guard in his second year.

Check out his numbers for the last 8 games.

Spurs win at Portland 116-111.
Parker - 22 points, 8 assists (7-14 shooting)

Spurs win at Denver 83-74
Parker - 23 points, 8 assists (7-14 shooting)

Spurs win at Golden State 103-99
Parker - 21 points, 10 assists, 8 boards (8-15 shooting)

Spurs win at Miami 67-65
Parker - 18 points, 3 assists (4-9 shooting)

Spurs win at Orlando 109-108
Parker - 20 points, 13 assists, 6 boards (8-11 shooting)

Spurs win at Indiana
Parker - 28 points, 7 assists, 4 boards (9-17 shooting)

Spurs lose at Minnesota
Parker - 19 points, 3 assists (7-16 shooting)

Detroit loses at San Antonio
Parker - 16 points, 9 assists (8-11 shooting)

Pretty damn impressive.

LRB
02-12-2003, 10:09 AM
Morphgizmo I hear your delima. Similar to the Cowboys getting Deon Sanders several years back for the huge contract. Would they have been better off getting several good players instead of one superstar? I'm one of those who feel yes they would have. But the Cowboys did win the big one with Deon, just had many hard years since. Lock yourself into kid with a huge longterm contract and you may have some really good years, but Kid isn't going to be young forever. You could quickly find yourself in contact trouble as the Cowboys did with Deon.

Still it's a good situation to be in to be able to talk about whether to try for Kidd or not. Most teams don't have that luxary.

Fidel
02-12-2003, 10:21 AM
Morphgizmo,
you have a point there. But the problem to make such a decision is a very nice problem to have. The Spurs have put themselves in a very good position. They have two good young guards in Parker and Ginobili. They are able to keep Duncan AND theyīve got enough cap room to be a player in the free agent market, and with luxury tax looming there will be a lot of deals in the next offseason. The Spurs seem to have a bright future and it kind of bothers me (are you a Spurs fan BTW?).

Fidel
02-12-2003, 10:23 AM
LOL LRB, didnīt see your post, but we think pretty much the same about the situation.

Blonde Bomber
02-12-2003, 10:44 AM
yeah...he's a spurs fan

Morphgizmo
02-12-2003, 10:54 AM
<< Morphgizmo I hear your delima. Similar to the Cowboys getting Deon Sanders several years back for the huge contract. Would they have been better off getting several good players instead of one superstar? I'm one of those who feel yes they would have. But the Cowboys did win the big one with Deon, just had many hard years since. Lock yourself into kid with a huge longterm contract and you may have some really good years, but Kid isn't going to be young forever. You could quickly find yourself in contact trouble as the Cowboys did with Deon.

Still it's a good situation to be in to be able to talk about whether to try for Kidd or not. Most teams don't have that luxary. >>

You are so right. I would rather have a decade of good shots at the title than three years of excellent chances followed by rebuilding. But that's just me.

<< Morphgizmo,
you have a point there. But the problem to make such a decision is a very nice problem to have. The Spurs have put themselves in a very good position. They have two good young guards in Parker and Ginobili. They are able to keep Duncan AND theyīve got enough cap room to be a player in the free agent market, and with luxury tax looming there will be a lot of deals in the next offseason. The Spurs seem to have a bright future and it kind of bothers me (are you a Spurs fan BTW?). >>

Yep, I'm definitely a Spurs fan through and through. However, I do enjoy the Mavs and to a lesser extent, the Rockets. Although the better both teams get, the more I start to root against them! i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

You're right, by the way. Either direction the Spurs choose to go this offseason should be promising. It's an excellent situation to be in. How many teams can win 58 games, do some damage in the playoffs, and clear cap space and add talent without approaching the luxury tax? I think the Spurs front office is totally underrated.

[b]It's good to be a Texas NBA fan![b] i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Fidel
02-12-2003, 11:20 AM
<< It's good to be a Texas NBA fan! >>

Though Iīm from Germany I defintly agree. Texas is going strong in the NBA.
Welcome to the board BTW, itīs allways good to have other teams fans around who donīt act like trolls.