PDA

View Full Version : New All Star Game Make-Up, USA vs The World, might happen.

TexRich23
02-11-2003, 12:30 PM
ESPN.com's Marc Stein offers his hypothetical All-Star roster for a Rest of the World team, based on this season's performance (NBA team and native country are listed in parentheses):
Starters
F Dirk Nowitzki (Dallas/Germany)
F Peja Stojakovic (Sacramento/Yugoslavia)
C Yao Ming (Houston/China)
G Toni Kukoc (Milwaukee/Croatia)
G Steve Nash (Dallas/Canada)

Reserves
F Pau Gasol (Memphis/Spain)
F Andrei Kirilenko (Utah/Russia)
F Vladimir Radmanovic (Seattle/Yugoslavia)
C Zydrunas Ilgauskas (Cleveland/Lithuania)
C Vlade Divac (Sacramento/Yugoslavia)
G Tony Parker (San Antonio/France)
G Hedo Turkoglu (Sacramento/Turkey)

NOTE: Although the NBA lists Tim Duncan (U.S. Virgin Islands) as a foreign-born player, he represents the United States in international competition.

What do you think, could it work?

Ummmmm Ok
02-11-2003, 12:56 PM
I would have the starters as this:

F Dirk Nowitzki (Dallas/Germany)
F Peja Stojakovic (Sacramento/Yugoslavia)
C Yao Ming (Houston/China)
G Hedo Turkoglu (Sacramento/Turkey)
G Steve Nash (Dallas/Canada)

But Hedo is so far down on the bench and Toni is a starter it would never happen.

Nash13
02-11-2003, 01:59 PM
The Internationals would win the game. The wild card would be Duncan. They would win for sure if Duncan played for them.

veruca salt
02-11-2003, 03:13 PM
I think it would be fair to say that it would be a
better game than the east v west.
Do you guys think you'd care about it more? You just never see
the crowd getting into all-star games, except when someone pulls
of a crazy dunk.

TexRich23
02-11-2003, 03:17 PM
I think the players would have more pride in playing, and it would be cool to see the Euros play together.

Murphy3
02-11-2003, 03:20 PM
why would foreigners be interested in doing it though?..players like nash and yao..neither ae Euro's...it's not like they feel any particular bond with the rest of the world to nut up and beat the U.S.

Murphy3
02-11-2003, 03:21 PM
i guess one thing is that the foreigners would play hard, regardless of what kind of game it is..exhibition or not

Fidel
02-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Kandi would make the international team too.

But I think itŽs too early for something like this.

A US starting five of
-Kidd
-McGrady
-Garnett
-Duncan
-Shaq

would route the internationals.
YouŽd also have players like J. OŽNeal, Payton, Francis, Brand, Kobe, Webber and Marion coming of the bench.

In a few years though I could imagine this to be a nice matchup, with more and more foreign players making it into the league. Right now the internationals lack the depth IMO. Especially at the guard positions. Players like Jaric, Parker, Tskitishvilli, Hilario, Yao, Ginobili, Kirilenko all need some more time to develope. But if Milicic and that greek center are as good as advertised this could be real interessting in a few years.

Murphy3
02-11-2003, 03:27 PM
i dont' think they'd route the internationals..the U.S. team would be too busy trying to make highlight play after hightlight play while the international players would be playing solid, fundamental basketball... that would be enough to keep it close.

Fidel
02-11-2003, 03:34 PM
Murphy I think in a game like this the US players would definitly concentrate on fundamentals too. TheyŽd try to stick it to the internationals and right now would simply overpower them. The bigget plus of the international teams at the world champs was how well they played as a team, because they knew each other and had been playing together for quite a while. You can scratch that for a US vs. The World matchup. I think right now the athleticism of the US would become a pretty big factor and would prevail. Maybe no blowout, but no chance for the world. In a few years though that might be completely different (if those experts are right that say by 2006 40% of NBA players are foreign born).

TexRich23
02-11-2003, 03:46 PM
I would enjoy watching the USA would beat The World. Here is my predicted score, USA 151 The World 91

Murphy3
02-11-2003, 03:54 PM
the U.S. would focus on fundamentals?
come one...you're not serious, are you?... 95% of the players have no fundamentals here in the U.S.

Fidel
02-11-2003, 04:01 PM
Well Murphy I know you are not serious now.
I think you know what I meant. TheyŽd definitly concentrate on winning the game rather than showing off. IŽm just trying to be realistic here. Of course IŽd root for Dirk and the internationals but I donŽt think they could win right now.

TexRich your prediction is way off though. It should be alot closer than that. And in a few years such a game should be even chances.

Murphy3
02-11-2003, 04:01 PM
rememeber, a group of US all-stars recently laid some rather large eggs in international play

LRB
02-11-2003, 04:02 PM
So would the Mantis have a shot at making the World team?

TexRich23
02-11-2003, 04:05 PM
Bradley? then you mean The Stick Mani/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Murphy3
02-11-2003, 04:07 PM
bradley would be a difference maker..i'd take him over clark any day
i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

centrlpark08
02-11-2003, 05:05 PM
This sounds good. I dont like it for one reason, and that is because i'm tired of seeing USA vs The world? it always seems like the world always win.

FlyinGK22
02-11-2003, 09:32 PM
first of all, toni kukoc isnt a G. second of all, i would start kirlenko o gasol over peja. and third of all, that team is horrible, us would whoop up on the world like 170-50.

OutletPass
02-11-2003, 11:34 PM
Sorry, but I don't like the idea at all. Leave that kind of stuff to the Olympics and the Worlds. It proved to be a pretty bad idea in hockey and I'm not for it happening in the NBA.

We already gripe too much about who makes the ALL-Star game as it is...can you imagine what it would be like if we created something really artificial like the US vs. the World.

Just taking TexRich's list:
Kukoc is not an all star; neither is Radmonavich; Parker or Turkoglu. None are even close. Did Vlade make the all star team this year ? How about Gasol ? (Though I like him a lot) So, just right there, you're making All Stars out of 6 guys who weren't this year.

So let's take away 6 guys who were and let the screaming and yelling begin. Can't we just stay with the Best in the NBA and leave it at that ?

LRB
02-12-2003, 02:10 AM
Excellent points OP. Definitely now is not the time to do this, and there most likely won't be a good time. I much prefer the conferences facing each other when Adleman and Thomas aren't coaching.

Murphy3
02-12-2003, 08:28 AM
i don't think it's a good idea now..but maybe 5 years from now, it could be something worth looking at