PDA

View Full Version : A bit more trade Talk - For trade Junkies ONLY !!

OutletPass
02-13-2003, 01:03 AM
This is from CBS SPORTSLINE: (Fantasy League Article)

Here's a look at some of the players that have been mentioned in trade rumors or might be dealt before the deadline.

Kenny Anderson, G, Seattle: While most trade rumors involving the SuperSonics have revolved around Gary Payton, Anderson is also a hot commodity. He will be a free agent following the season and could be a useful starter or backup for a contending team that needs help in the backcourt. While Anderson is not as talented as Payton, his contract makes him a more feasible acquisition, and he might become a useful Fantasy player if a trade lands him a starting job elsewhere. There is also a chance that Payton might be dealt and Anderson would remain in Seattle. This would make Anderson a starting point guard again and a useful player in larger leagues.

Gilbert Arenas might be dealt before the trading deadline. (AP)
Gilbert Arenas, G, Golden State: The Warriors might be certain that Arenas is their point guard of the future, but they still don't know if they can afford him. Their refusal to sign him to a contract extension before the allotted period earlier this season might have been a costly one. Arenas will be a restricted free agent after the season, but his asking price might be more lucrative now and too much for the Warriors to match and maintain a friendly relationship. This situation might develop into a contract dispute similar to the one that drove a wedge between Marc Jackson and Warriors management in the summer of 2001. Jackson, a restricted free agent at the time, was ultimately unhappy with his contract and the fact that he had to remain a Warrior. He lost playing time and was eventually traded during the 2001-02 season.

Trading Arenas now might be the best option if Golden State falls out of playoff contention. They are currently four games out of the final playoff spot. Earl Boykins and Bob Sura would get more playing time if Arenas is dealt and might become useful in larger leagues. However, Arenas' value could easily change if he is not given the freedom to create on offense with another team. Maintain a good backup if you have Arenas on your squad.

Marcus Camby, C, Denver: He was a hot commodity before he even took the court this season, and the Lakers were reportedly one of his suitors. However, his recent ankle injury tempered the curiosity expressed by other teams. Interest for Camby will likely be rejuvenated if he is able to return to action shortly after the All-Star break. Camby should be a quality Fantasy starter when he returns regardless of where he ends up playing. The Nuggets are used to playing without Camby since he has only played in two games this season. His departure wouldn't provide any extra minutes, but it would keep young players like Donnell Harvey and Nene Hilario on the court.

Sam Cassell, G, Milwaukee: The Bucks guard is one of the forgotten members of the current crop of players that will be free agents after the season. Cassell is also one of the better point guards in basketball. A trade is unlikely since the Bucks are currently fifth in the Eastern Conference, but a quick free-fall after the All-Star break might have Milwaukee executives looking to get a player in exchange for Cassell. Kevin Ollie would get the nod if a proper replacement at point guard is not found and would become a more useful Fantasy player. As for Cassell, he should remain a quality No. 2 Fantasy guard even if he doesn't remain with the Bucks.

Pau Gasol, F/C, Memphis: His name has been mentioned in rumors involving the Knicks, but those talks have quickly died down. Gasol will likely remain with Memphis.

Drew Gooden, F, Memphis: His relationship with coach Hubie Brown has reportedly gone bad and the Grizzlies are supposedly shopping him as a result. One of the many teams that have been mentioned is Chicago. Talks involving Gooden have also died down, but don't be surprised if this notion is reborn. Memphis has a glut of forwards and could use one of their young players to add some experience to their roster. Gooden should flourish if allowed to play regular minutes on another team so monitor his situation. For now, he is only useful as a reserve in larger leagues.

Tyrone Hill, F, Cleveland: The aging veteran no longer fits into the Cavaliers' youth movement and will likely opt out of his contract after the season. Cleveland has reportedly been trying to deal him for some time, and the Lakers are most frequently mentioned as a suitor. The Cavaliers might also decide to release Hill outright and allow him to simply sign with another team. Despite his current role as a Cavs reserve, Hill is still capable of being a useful fourth Fantasy forward in larger leagues if he is traded to a team that allows him to start. His departure would allow young players like Carlos Boozer and Jumaine Jones to continue to get regular minutes, and would make this duo useful in larger leagues.

Juwan Howard, F, Denver: He will also be a free agent after the season. Howard has played well and has been Denver's top scoring option this season. But the Nuggets might be enticed into dealing him for a younger player. A trade to another club will likely reduce Howard's Fantasy value since he won't be the top scoring threat on most teams. He suffered a similar fate a few seasons ago when he was traded to Dallas. Harvey and Chris Andersen would likely get more minutes if Howard is dealt, but neither player should receive consideration outside of larger leagues.

Andre Miller, G, L.A. Clippers: What was supposed to be a match made in heaven has turned out to be a nightmare, as Miller has struggled miserably with his hometown team. He will be a restricted free agent after the season, but the Clippers don't seem to have any plans to keep him. Don't be surprised if he is dealt to a contending team. He has struggled all season and will be a risky player to use even if traded. Keyon Dooling and Marko Jaric might compete for the starting point guard job if he is dealt, so hold onto both players if you are currently using them as reserves.

Lamar Odom, F, L.A. Clippers: His play hasn't been too bad, but the Clippers still might decide to trade him to cut their payroll. As for Odom, joining another team might very well make him even more productive. The Clippers would still have some productive forwards if Odom were dealt. Corey Maggette and Quentin Richardson would fit nicely into the rotation and become more productive.

Gary Payton, G, Seattle: The "Glove" has been mentioned in trade rumors all season, but a deal probably won't be done this season. His hefty contract is hard to move and Seattle will likely need multiple players and a third team to move his salary via trade. Look for Payton to remain in Seattle, but depart when his contract runs out after this season.

Theo Ratliff, C, Atlanta: With their playoff hopes fading, Atlanta has begun dangling Ratliff as trade bait. Philadelphia is one of the teams that have reportedly shown interest. Ratliff will be used mostly for defense on whatever team he joins. So don't expect his Fantasy value to increase. However, Nazr Mohammed would likely take over as the starting center if Ratliff is dealt and could become a useful No. 1 Fantasy center in larger leagues.

Latrell Sprewell, G/F, New York: Like Payton, his name has been mentioned in trade rumors all season. Indiana, the Lakers, Portland and San Antonio were among the many teams reportedly interested in obtaining "Spree." Nothing will materialize now that Sprewell is publicly petitioning to stay in New York, especially now that the Knicks have begun to make a run for the playoffs. Sprewell's value will likely remain about the same if he is dealt. Shandon Anderson and Clarence Waetherspoon will likely get more minutes in his absence and could develop into useful starters in larger leagues.

Damon Stoudamire, G, Portland: He has quickly become a forgotten man in the league, usurped by rookie phenom Amare Stoudemire, who has a similar namesake. But the Trail Blazers haven't forgotten about him. His hefty contract is weighing heavily on the Portland payroll while the diminutive guard is only averaging 19.2 minutes per game. At this point his Fantasy value is so low that a trade can only help him. A deal will likely provide Stoudamire with more playing time and make him useful in larger leagues.

Jason Terry, G, Atlanta: It seems that the Hawks still havenít figured out what guard position they want Terry to play. However, there are many other franchises that reportedly want Terry, and the Lakers are one of them. A trade doesn't seem likely at this point, but it is possible. Joining another team will likely rob him of some of the offensive freedom he currently has in Atlanta, but he should still be a productive fourth Fantasy option at guard. A deal would likely help Dan Dickau's Fantasy value the most, earning him a starting job and making him useful in larger leagues

MavsFanFinley
02-13-2003, 01:23 AM
I know it's not possible, but if we could get Arenas, I'd love it. That's assuming we traded away NVE.

At first, I wasn't sure Arenas could handle the pg position, but he's done better than I expected. He's probably more of a two, but he's handling the pg duty rather well.

But, I don't think we have anything player wise or salary wise to make something work.

Drbio
02-13-2003, 09:47 AM
I have Arenas on my fantasy team. He's money. I'd love to see him here.

jayC
02-13-2003, 02:24 PM
What about a bruiser like tyrone hill.

aexchange
02-13-2003, 04:31 PM
<< I have Arenas on my fantasy team. He's money. I'd love to see him here. >>

your fantasy team is getting stomped! i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

centrlpark08
02-13-2003, 05:07 PM
Gilbert arenas isnt bad. He's a great young player and isnt the player the Nick is but at least he's devoloping. I would'nt mind getting arenas, Gasol, hill , and spree.

centrlpark08
02-13-2003, 05:08 PM
O by the way thanks again for the news OP.

Drbio
02-13-2003, 05:17 PM
AEx- I'm shooting for Lebron in next years draft. Shhhh.....

centrlpark08
02-13-2003, 05:19 PM
Dr, are you talking about the mavs getting james in the draft or just fantasy?

Murphy3
02-13-2003, 05:26 PM
unless doc is on crack again, he's not being serious

OutletPass
02-13-2003, 10:43 PM
No problem Central...and for the record, I'm &quot;in bed&quot; with MFF on this one...I've watched GS on Season Pass all year and I really like Arenas...but I don't think there's a chance in Hades that we get him. Denver has a real Johnson going for him and I won't be surprised at all if he ends up there.

I'm going to keep posting these articles up through the trade deadline...if everyone wants me to continue AFTER the dealine, I'll be more than happy, too. I've created a poll for that purpose. Vote early and often.