PDA

View Full Version : If you had the 1st Pick in the Draft.........

Nash13
02-14-2003, 03:11 PM
who would you pick? I would not pick Lebron James. I would pick either J.J Reddick of Duke, or Nick Collison of Kansas.

Opinions wanted

Murphy3
02-14-2003, 03:14 PM
none of the above

lebron

Blonde Bomber
02-14-2003, 03:26 PM
Hummer's or not...I would take a chance on James

Murphy3
02-14-2003, 03:27 PM
you can have the hummer, but i'm ok right now

Nash13
02-14-2003, 03:35 PM
Lebron is going to get tossed around next yr. If would pick a person with some size to him.

Bayliss
02-14-2003, 03:38 PM
I would pick Darko.

Murphy3
02-14-2003, 03:43 PM
lebron might play PG..if so, he won't be tossed around. he might not reach expectations..but he will not be tossed around

and darko, from what i've heard, well..he just might push lebron for the #1 spot

Blonde Bomber
02-14-2003, 04:07 PM
<< Lebron is going to get tossed around next yr. If would pick a person with some size to him. >>

have you looked at the kid?

he allready has an NBA body. I look for him to have a better rookie year than Kobe, Garnett or McGrady had when they came out of highschool.

But, he won't have the impact his first year like Amare in Phoenix is having..

You can mark one thing down...LeBron, deserving or not, will get voted into the All-Star game.

Nash13
02-14-2003, 04:16 PM
BB, let's not say all that. If he goes to the east, he'll have no chance b/c all there best players are guards. If he goes to the west, the chance would be higher, but not likely. And that's assuming there's going to be another fan vote.

I bet Lebron wouldn't win rookie of the year.

Fidel
02-14-2003, 04:27 PM
Milicic will be very interesting. Heīs basicly the first euro to be picked that high on pure potential, like the highschoolers in the US. Gasol had been playing on a high level, so had Parker. All the yugos were well known and established over here before being drafted. Even Dirk had some expirience in the first german league I think.

But Milicic has not really been a stud in the yuba league. Right now heīs just averaging 9.5 points for the 6th place hemofarm. Heīs also playing reduced minutes and his fg% isnīt that high either. Unlike other players from yugoslavia he doesnīt seem to have range or itīs not showing cause he has yet to make a three pointer this season. So if he gets drafted it will be for potential alone. If he pans out there will be a flood of euro prospects in the next years IMO. Players like Milici would have been a second round pick a few years ago. If the NBA starts to draft foreign players on potential like they do with us highschool players, the resources in europe, asia and latin america are endless obviously. It will change the outlook of the league.

FilthyFinMavs
02-14-2003, 04:34 PM
It matters. If I am a team like Cleveland I pick TJ Ford and move DWAG to the 2 spot. If I am the Grizzlies I go after Lebron. If I am Nuggets I take on TJ Ford. People undderate TJ.

Hitman
02-14-2003, 04:37 PM
<< Milicic will be very interesting. Heīs basicly the first euro to be picked that high on pure potential, like the highschoolers in the US. Gasol had been playing on a high level, so had Parker. All the yugos were well known and established over here before being drafted. Even Dirk had some expirience in the first german league I think.

But Milicic has not really been a stud in the yuba league. Right now heīs just averaging 9.5 points for the 6th place hemofarm. Heīs also playing reduced minutes and his fg% isnīt that high either. Unlike other players from yugoslavia he doesnīt seem to have range or itīs not showing cause he has yet to make a three pointer this season. So if he gets drafted it will be for potential alone. If he pans out there will be a flood of euro prospects in the next years IMO. Players like Milici would have been a second round pick a few years ago. If the NBA starts to draft foreign players on potential like they do with us highschool players, the resources in europe, asia and latin america are endless obviously. It will change the outlook of the league. >>

Fidel...

Darko is 17 years old and is playing at the highest level in Europe. He has no plays run for him. He is not allowed to shoot three pointers even though many on the team concede he has the best shot from 20 feet on the team. He is considered to be, by far, the best prospect in all of Europe.

Hitman

02-14-2003, 04:46 PM
<< If I am a team like Cleveland I pick TJ Ford and move DWAG to the 2 spot >>

Wait what?

I watch a lot of Texas games, and last time I checked TJ was a sophomore. Did he declare he was leaving UT to enter the draft? Fill me in please.

Fidel
02-14-2003, 05:06 PM
<< Fidel...

Darko is 17 years old and is playing at the highest level in Europe. He has no plays run for him. He is not allowed to shoot three pointers even though many on the team concede he has the best shot from 20 feet on the team. He is considered to be, by far, the best prospect in all of Europe.
>>

I know that Hitman (well I didnīt know he was not allowed to shoot threeīs). I wouldnīt call YUBA league the highest level in europe though. 2nd level maybe, but well behind the leagues in greece, spain, italy. But thatīs not exactly what I meant. I meant that he doesnīt have the stats to go with the talent no matter why. Players like Drazen or Sabonis were heros in europe before they made the move to the NBA. I know Milicic is very talented. Iīve seen highlights of him. But even if heīs the best prospect in europe (I agree) heīs still a prospect. IMO thatīs a big change that the NBA is starting to draft euro prospects now, not only established euro stars (and Dirk was probably the first of that kind).

BrianJ
02-14-2003, 05:30 PM
I f that Marcus guy could ever stay healthy it would be him with a no brainer. He is big and pretty quick for his size. If I were the mavs and Luke Ridnour was still on the board that would be great he is as quick as a cat and has morer size then those other big names. I know the mavs don't need another pg but I don't like taking forwards in the draft. U guys probably never heard of him but there is a guy named Kyle Korver that plays in our conference that shoots light out and never gets an open look. He is big white can't rebound or play defense, he is a great Nellie player at the 2 and will still be on the board.

Just211
02-14-2003, 06:31 PM
I'd package it in a trade.

Nash13
02-14-2003, 06:34 PM
The only reason i'd pick James is to get a good trade. Besides that, i'd pick Nick Collison.

aexchange
02-14-2003, 07:30 PM
if i were to believe the hype, i'd pick darko.

you always pick size over a swing man. especially if the talent is negligable at this stage. yeah, lebron makes flashy plays. so did jay williams coming out of high school. i'm just not too sold on the kid especially if you send him to a hell hole like chicago or the clippers. he'll never make it.

about the pairing TJ ford up with juanny wags ...

no way i do that. no only will you have the only 6 ft. and under backcourt in the league. you are going to get abused all day long. you could hide ford or wagner in a zone, but you cant hide both, which is what you would have to do to put them on the same team in the backcourt together.

if i really wanted a guard, id take lebron.

Murphy3
02-14-2003, 08:30 PM
tj ford will need to continue to improve on his jumpshot before he's thrown up there in the top 4-5 spots.
it will do nothing but help him if he stays in college another year

Dirks Cuzin
02-14-2003, 10:10 PM
TJ FORD MY MAN,

Lebron of course

centrlpark08
02-14-2003, 10:17 PM
I'd take lebron, i just like his game and he reminds me of kobe except they are almost alike. If lebron is what people say he is then i'll take a chance on him but i'd rather have a european player who has the size.

OutletPass
02-15-2003, 01:22 AM
Thanks, Fidel, for the perspective...all in all I'd take Darko. I am not at all convinced about LeBron.

LRB
02-15-2003, 10:01 AM
I'll take Darko. Height is harder to come by than hype.

Hitman
02-15-2003, 10:22 AM
[/i] >>

But even if heīs the best prospect in europe (I agree) heīs still a prospect. IMO thatīs a big change that the NBA is starting to draft euro prospects now, not only established euro stars (and Dirk was probably the first of that kind).[/i] >>

Everybodyis a prospect until they prove it on an NBA court, including LeBron and Darko.

Hitman

jayC
02-15-2003, 12:21 PM
You are nuts I take the best player available. And that's Lebron James he is the kobe bryant starter kit. Norm said in his first season he should be able to put down at least 10 a game. Keep in mind Yao only avgs around 12pts a game. Tiger had a lot of hype at first and he lived up. When all the scouts are touting him the next great highschool phenom you do it.

Reddick isn't coming out, great shooter but not a great athlete. The NBA draft is always about super athletes first and guys like shane battier toward the bottom of the draft.

FilthyFinMavs
02-15-2003, 01:02 PM
<<

<< If I am a team like Cleveland I pick TJ Ford and move DWAG to the 2 spot >>

Wait what?

I watch a lot of Texas games, and last time I checked TJ was a sophomore. Did he declare he was leaving UT to enter the draft? Fill me in please. >>

I have never heard him say he would leave out this year but I see alot of projected drafts have him in the top 3 I believe it was nbadraft.net. I assumed he was leaving this year.

Nash13
02-15-2003, 01:09 PM
Speaking of Texas, there's this basketball player here in Raleigh, NC that's going there next yr. Watch for P.J Tucker next yr.

LRB
02-15-2003, 01:37 PM
Jayc just how can you accurately compare Darko and James. Darko is playing professionl ball in Europe against much older and mature players. James is playing High School ball in the US against players that are either younger and less mature than him are have not appreciable age and maturity over him. Hard to adequately judge under those circumstances. We do know Darko is 7'1&quot; to James 6'8&quot;. That means that Lebron has to have enough extra talent to make up for 5&quot;. That is debateable.

madape
02-15-2003, 02:23 PM
TJFord? Nick Collison? JJ Redick?

You guys are nuts. Collison might not even be a first round pick. TJ Ford is like 5'10 and probably isn't even coming out this year. These guys are decent pro prospects but not anywhere CLOSE to the #1 pick in the draft. That's ridicilous. Its a one man show this year. You can't go wrong with James. He will bring any sad sack 60 game losing team instant hype and credibility... and he looks to be a fantastic prospect as well.

BTW - I also like Ridnaur, but I think Kurt Heinrich will make a bigger impact. I'd love to see him go to a team like Golden State.

Fidel
02-15-2003, 04:19 PM
<< Everybodyis a prospect until they prove it on an NBA court, including LeBron and Darko. >>

I disagree with that. A prospect is someone who gets drafted on talent and ability alone. Someone who hasnīt really proven himself in tough competition yet. Darko and LeBron fit into that category. Tim Duncan or Elton Brand didnīt, for example. There sure is a difference between those players. And my point simply was that most of the euros who had been drafted in earlier years were proven euroleague stars. Now the NBA starts to draft euro prospects (well it began a few years ago). To me thatīs a big change.

OutletPass
02-15-2003, 06:53 PM
JayC...please quit calling people NUTS. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Drbio
02-15-2003, 07:49 PM
Darko here. I wouldn't want to put up with the Lebron James sideshow. Besides...Darko is tall.

scooterj5
02-16-2003, 03:22 AM
Lebron number one, definitely. He's not getting all his hype for no reason. And he's a sensible, hard-working, decent person.

Drbio
02-16-2003, 11:31 AM
Scooter makes a good point. The kid has his head on straight by all accounts. That is nice to see. I went with Milicic only because of his size. Lebron would be my #2.

FilthyFinMavs
02-16-2003, 05:56 PM
I'm not a fan of Lebron maybe because the way the media potrays him as a bad guy. I hear nothing but good things out of people who actually have talked to him. Anyway Lebron wouldn't be a bust of a pick but I don't get how a High School player gets this much hype to be a number 1 pick. He plays against guys 5+ inches shorter than him and do they assume he will do the same in the NBA? I wish him the best because I wouldn't mind watching one of the greatest to play the game but I don't believe in the hype. What he does in high school games I have seen at Kimball and SOC games.

BrianJ
02-16-2003, 07:29 PM
got to disagree with anyone who wants collison. He might be a poster boy for good kids, but would get murdered in the league. He has no size no real shot no athleticism. I don't think he will be picked at all( he will be just like every other player that is shown shocked to not be picked). He is a great fundamental player who also does the dirty work, but there is not a system that he can fit into.

On the positive side he could make a great towel waiving 12th man for the mavs. Much like Harrington, sometimes I think that the towel waivers are under appreciated.

LRB
02-16-2003, 09:49 PM
<< but I don't get how a High School player gets this much hype to be a number 1 pick. >>

I'll tell you how FFM. The media just love exploiting people and Lebron is their current target. It's a no lose situation for the media, but a very difficult to win situation for Lebron.

If Lebron comes in and lives up to all the hype, which will be near impossible for any rookie to do much less one straight out of high school, then the media can break their arms patting their selfs on the back saying how smart they were to predict this.

But if Lebron falls short of the hype, which he probably will, then the media will jump on him and crucify him for all kinds of negative things. This is what the media is really after. Someone to tear down. They live for this. So Lebron has been hyped and built up by the media so that they can enjoy tearing him down.

Sad but true.

Nash13
02-17-2003, 01:47 AM
I hope i don't seem slow by saying this but who's Darko?

Evilmav2
02-17-2003, 02:01 AM
http://www.fredcorp.com/vortex/reviews/d/dondarkoJH.jpg
Darko and Friends

turbo.mav
02-17-2003, 02:26 AM
hahah, good movie evilmav.

Chicago JK
02-17-2003, 10:10 AM
Has anyone actually really scouted Darko yet or are you just going off written reports and a few highlights? If we are just going off reports, then I don't know how you can say you would want Darko. I have no idea how good Lebron will be, but you can obviously see he is flowing with talent. I have no idea what type of killer instinct he has or weather he will lock himself in a gym like Kobe and MJ to perfect a jumper. He no doubt has talent, but it will take time to see if he is truly special.

JJ Reddick??? He is a Casey Jacobson starter kit. Nick Collison??? Think one level better player then Najara. I'm sorry, but if you chose these two over Lebron you would go down as one of the worst gm's in the history of the NBA. Just my opinion.

grbh
02-17-2006, 03:18 PM
This thread makes me giggle. Glad I never posted in it.

aexchange
02-17-2006, 03:57 PM
this thread makes me laugh.

Dtownsfinest
02-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Nash13 had the best post out of the whole thread lol.

I hope i don't seem slow by saying this but who's Darko?

We still have people asking that question until this day. Most names thrown in this thread though have been good picks to be honest except Darko.

jthig32
02-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Wow, great find. That was an interesting read. Not one person mentioned Wade or Anthony.

No offense to Nash, but Collison? That made me laugh.

Amazingly Madape was the logical voice of reason in this thread.

madape
02-17-2006, 05:17 PM
Amazingly Madape was the logical voice of reason in this thread.

Amazing

dude1394
02-17-2006, 05:30 PM
Madape was so far right on this post that he should be called a genious.

That makes his bradley love that much more omnipotent.