PDA

View Full Version : Shaq-toe is hurtin' - ESPN

OutletPass
02-16-2003, 11:03 AM
O'Neal hesitantly to go back on anti-inflammatory drug

Shaquille O'Neal says he has no other choice. Limping after a Saturday practice, the Lakers center told The Los Angeles Times that he would again start taking the anti-inflammatory drug Indocin to help with the pain in his left knee and right big toe.

"I'm doing bad; I'm hurting," O'Neal told the newspaper. "I can't play like this. I'm going to have to get back on the medicine. I just hope it don't mess me up on the inside." Shaq says he doesn't like taking the anti-inflammatory drug because it gives him an upset stomach and the drug might cause long-term health problems. In some users, Indocin has been linked to liver and kidney problems.

Despite those concerns, O'Neal told The Times that he needs to take the medication to play at a high level. Shaq had just five rebounds in 40 minutes in the Lakers' 103-95 loss to the Spurs on Friday. "His activity level was very low," Lakers coach Phil Jackson told the newspaper. "We don't have a whole lot of break time (so) I'll have to watch him real carefully." Jackson also said that he might cut O'Neal's playing time.

In response to that possibility, Shaq told The Times: "Yeah, right. You just have to suck it up. The team's doing well right now. Kobe's still in a zone. I just need to get that step back. I'll have it back. It's still there."

-- I am told that this particular medication is used to treat Gout related arthritis.

Drbio
02-16-2003, 11:28 AM
Shaq should retire. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

MavKikiNYC
02-16-2003, 08:35 PM
Lose 75 pounds, fool.

LRB
02-16-2003, 09:09 PM
<< Shaq told The Times: &quot;Yeah, right. You just have to suck it up. &quot; >>

That's the problem fool, you've been sucking up too much of the food!!! I have 2 words to say to Shaq: Jenny Craig.

MavsFanFinley
02-16-2003, 09:11 PM
No, we don't want Shaq to lose weight, we need to agree with the Doc. He should retire. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

BrianJ
02-16-2003, 09:43 PM
Not to kick a guy when he is down( can't even write that with out a smile, I am fake) but Shaq is not playing tonight at least in the 1st quarter. How cool would it be to sweep a Shaqless lakers group?

TripleDipping
02-17-2003, 09:35 AM
<< Not to kick a guy when he is down( can't even write that with out a smile, I am fake) but Shaq is not playing tonight at least in the 1st quarter. How cool would it be to sweep a Shaqless lakers group? >>

Well since I'm not a whiny Kings fan, that's fine with me. Looking at Fox, Fish and other Laker animals lose gives me pleasure.

OutletPass
02-17-2003, 11:40 PM
My wife, the Doctor, and I have had a long talk about this. Here's to sum up: there are medications out there that will do a good job of controlling Shaq's arthritis BUT he HAS TO change his diet for it to be really effective. It's all about too much red meat. If he does NOT change his diet, he will ALWAYS have bad arthritic flare ups.

Gout most often shows itself in the big toe and eats away at the joints (and yes, that also means surrounding joints). In Americans of African descent, blood pressure is also a big concern...so he's going to have to be concerned there also. AND, he's going to haveto get his weight down. There are a lot of inter-relations here that have to be addressed.

So, bottom line: Can Shaq change his diet and lose some weight ?

Second opinion, DrBio ?