PDA

View Full Version : NBA Officials in a slump

MavKikiNYC
02-20-2003, 10:10 PM
It seems to be getting worse.

Awful, awful officiating in nationally telvised games.

Exhibit A: Rockets v. Lakers

In the last 5 minutes of the game and overtime, the officials made bad calls, missed calls, and no calls.

A1: Bryant took the ball to the basket on the left with Ming backin away. Contact initiated by Bryant, yet Ming called for foul.

A2: Bryant again taking the ball strong to the basket on the right side, with Ming coming over and right foot clearly inside the dotted line. This time foul called on Kobe, though Ming was clearly inside dotted line. To be fair, it was a very fast play and a tough call. But they missed it.

A3: Rockets inbounding the ball prior to first OT. They inbound to Ming who clears with the slightest incidental contact to Mark Madsen who flops like a seal. Ming is called for his sixth foul on a play where he gained no advantage, and where the opposing player was clearly over-reacting. Yet the idiots fall for it. MARK MADSEN!

A4: Francis takes the ball to the hoop at the end of the first OT, and is clearly fouled on his game-winning attempt. No call.

At this point, I'd seen enough. It was a farce so I turned it off. ARE YOU LISTENING, DAVID STERN? TUNRED OFF A DOUBLE OT GAME BECAUSE THE OFFICIATING WAS RUINING THE GAME.

Incredible how the officiating impacted the game.

Exhibit B: Tonight's Nets v. Pacers game.

Dan Crawford's crew makes diotic calls against both sides. A technical foul called against Artest when he throws the ball to an official as the official turns to signal the table. I loathe Artest and what he represents, but it was clear that he wasn't trying to hit the official with the ball.

They follow this travesty up by calling a technical foul on Richard Jefferson after Artest goes out of his way to bump into Jefferson after a foul call. Jefferson did NOTHING, yet was called for the foul.

To compound matters they call ANOTHER foul on Jefferson the next series down the floor when Artest bulldozes into him as he sets a pick.

The the clincher--Reggie Miller grabs hold of kerry Kittles' jersey as Kittles fights to follow Reggie around a screen. Reggie pulls Kittles' into him, then flops his arms up into the air. Two free throws for Reggie.

And now, the almost unprecedented nationally televised highlighting of poor officiating when Ronnie Garretson (legacy de luxe--his father was Ed Rush's precedessor) calls a grossly questionable flagrant foul on Antoine Walker. On the replays there is NO evidence of excessive contact or failure to play the ball, or contact to the head or anything, and Fratello and Van Gundy who rarely agree on anything both question the flagrant foul call. Walker, without any histrionics, tries to get an explanation of the call from Garretson, but the prissy, little tight-assed Garretson squeaks out "Back off, Antoine! I gave you my explanation!" When Walker fails to back up far enough fast enough Little Miss Garretson pulls a Javie and T's him up. Van Gundy and Fratello again agree on national television the Garretson missed both calls--the first flagrant, and then compounded the error by blowing his short 'fuse' on Walker.

Has it ALWAYS been this bad, or is it getting worse?

LRB
02-20-2003, 10:21 PM
<< Has it ALWAYS been this bad, or is it getting worse? >>

It's definitely getting worse. We should just kill all the refs and start over again. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

MavKikiNYC
02-26-2003, 08:35 AM
Keepin' a list. This is a pretty ridiculous fine.

P.S.: I don't like NVE's game, but I kinda like his attitude. Wish Nash would show a little heart, but since he's a pacifist humanitarian, I don't think we can expect him to confront institutional tyranny.

Notebook: Van Exel is ready to appeal fine
Mavericks guard confronted official after game against Wizards

02/26/2003

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

ORLANDO, Fla. Nick Van Exel plans to appeal the $20,000 fine he got from the NBA for cursing referee Scott Foster at the end of Sunday's game against the Washington Wizards.

Van Exel said Tuesday that he did call Foster &quot;a [expletive] ... coward.&quot; But he only did so after Foster did some agitating of his own, Van Exel said.

&quot;That was right after he told me I need to worry about getting out of the second round of the playoffs,&quot; Van Exel said.

NBA refs are schooled to be nonconfrontational. When players or coaches get irate with them, they are supposed to turn the other cheek, or at the most communicate in a sensible manner. Referees are not permitted to comment on confrontations.

Although Van Exel was set to appeal the fine, it is rare that the NBA rescinds a fine after it has been doled out. It's akin to fighting city hall.

Van Exel was critical of the referee crew after the game against the Wizards, saying &quot;they did everything they could to get them back into the game.&quot;

So when the game was over, Van Exel took the opportunity to let Foster know exactly what he thought of his performance. Veteran Dick Bavetta and Derrick Collins were the other officials working the game.

MavKikiNYC
02-26-2003, 08:40 AM
More stupidity......

Najera ejected in second quarter
By Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

ORLANDO - Mavericks reserve forward Eduardo Najera was ejected for making contact with official David Jones in the second quarter of the Magic's 98-93 victory Tuesday night.

Najera had knocked the ball out of Tracy McGrady's hands and was upset when the ball was awarded back to the Magic. Najera swung his left arm in disgust, brushing Jones' right arm in the process and earning an immediate ejection from Jones with 2:28 left in the period.

&quot;It was an accident, obviously,&quot; Najera said. &quot;I just got caught up in the moment. I'm not the type of guy that does that.&quot;

Najera, known for his hard-nosed defense, and McGrady, the league's leading scorer, were involved in an incident less than two minutes earlier. Frustrated with Najera's defense, McGrady elbowed him in the back and earned a technical with 4:03 left in the second.

&quot;I got to go against the best players every other night,&quot; Najera said. &quot;I know I was going against McGrady and he's going to get a lot of calls. It's just one of those days where you snap.&quot;

Mavericks guard Steve Nash understood Najera's outburst.

&quot;I don't blame him,&quot; he said. &quot;I'm glad he got fired up. It's tough, he made a good play and swung his arms in frustration and grazed the official.&quot; {embellishment: &quot;But I am committed to a policy of non-violence against officials, so Eddie should be sanctioned in the harshest possible terms.&quot;)

And Nash added, somewhat tongue-in-cheek: &quot;It's not the first time an official has taken a flop, is it?&quot;

Najera will almost certainly be the second Mav fined by the league for an incident involving officials on the just-completed three-game road trip. Nick Van Exel was fined $20,000 Monday for verbally abusing game officials after Sunday's win at Washington. Najera could learn his fate today.

Rhylan
02-26-2003, 09:59 AM
In the Najera situation, you have a situation that is similar to the Jerry Sloan one, in that a referee actually moved towards the fray. Obviously, it was more drastic in the Sloan incident, since the ref pursued Sloan, but it's the same sort of thing. A player gets pissed, gives a T-worthy fit, and the referee moves towards him so he can theatrically T him up. In this case, Najera was still throwing his fit when the ref approached, he swiped the arm, and so it was an ejection instead of a technical foul.

LRB
02-26-2003, 10:04 AM
So Rhylan are you saying the Ref flopped? i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif