PDA

View Full Version : You have crazy, & then you have Ron Artest

ames7
02-26-2003, 02:36 PM
Suspended again. From the AP report (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&ncid=1386&e=3&u=/ap/20030226/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bkn_pacers_artest&sid=95747870):

Ron Artest was suspended for disciplinary reasons by coach Isiah Thomas and did not travel with the Indiana Pacers on their flight to Boston.

The Pacers would not disclose the circumstances that led Thomas to tell Artest to say home for Wednesday's game against the Celtics, team spokesman David Benner said.

"All we're saying is he's not with the team. It's a team disciplinary thing and it will remain that," Benner said.

Thomas suspended Artest after an 83-78 loss to Washington on Tuesday night.

The New York Post reported that Artest grabbed a framed picture and smashed it against the locker room wall after the game.

LRB
02-26-2003, 03:28 PM
It's only a matter of time before Artest goes all Sprewell on Isaiah. And you know it couldn't happen to a better coach.

BrianJ
02-26-2003, 05:44 PM
at some point in time someone has to bring up the question is Artest stable enough to live in this society. If this guy was forced to take a normal carrer path he would either be bouncing around off the padded walls or attempting to sodemize his cell mate. Just thought I would point out the obvious.

LRB
02-26-2003, 06:09 PM
It's just a shame that Artest never played for Bobby Knight. Those two would really go together well. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

ames7
02-26-2003, 07:20 PM
<< It's just a shame that Artest never played for Bobby Knight. >>

They'd probably kill each other. Which is not to say that this is necessarily a bad thing. Society would be safer.

MavKikiNYC
02-26-2003, 07:32 PM
<< It's just a shame that Artest never played for Bobby Knight. Those two would really go together well. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif >>

Survival of the foolest.

LRB
02-26-2003, 08:28 PM
Maybe we could have a Pay-per-view contest between Artest and Knight. There could be several events they could compete in for the highest point total. Some samples would be:

1. The chair throwing contest.
2. The HDTV Camera throwing contest
3. The picture breaking contest
4. And my personal favoite the confrontation contest

TripleDipping
02-27-2003, 08:48 AM
5. Who has the longest middle finger.

LRB
02-27-2003, 10:40 AM
6. Who can shove their foot farther up the other's ass.

Bookit
02-27-2003, 03:00 PM
Artest is obviously on steroids and should be tested.

Fidel
02-27-2003, 07:59 PM
<< The Pacers would not disclose the circumstances that led Thomas to tell Artest to say home for Wednesday's game against the Celtics, team spokesman David Benner said.

&quot;All we're saying is he's not with the team. It's a team disciplinary thing and it will remain that,&quot; Benner said.
>>

German media reported that he crushed a picture frame in the locker room after the Washington game, with glass flying all around. Excessive use of steroids might explain his behavior. Or hes just nuts.

ames7
02-27-2003, 11:51 PM
Word has it it was a picture of HIMSELF. Fantastic. Self-loathing &amp; uncontrollable rage.

thebac
02-28-2003, 05:19 PM
<< Word has it it was a picture of HIMSELF. Fantastic. Self-loathing &amp; uncontrollable rage. >>

Indeed. The Indianapolis Star reports: &quot;Frustrated after a dismal performance in Tuesday night's loss to Washington, Artest tore a picture of himself from a hallway wall between the court and locker room and broke it.&quot;

Crazy.

Link To Article (http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/6/025862-5736-039.html)

TripleDipping
03-03-2003, 09:42 AM
Just one question... why would there be a FRAMED picture of Artest in the locker?
Self-love then self-loath then self-destruct...

LRB
03-04-2003, 01:22 AM
<< Just one question... why would there be a FRAMED picture of Artest in the locker?
Self-love then self-loath then self-destruct... >>

It was under the sign &quot;Dumbass of the Year&quot;. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

jayC
03-04-2003, 01:30 PM
I wish we had Ron Artest. Still a nutball but he can really play tennacious defense and isn't an offensive liability.

TripleDipping
03-04-2003, 01:58 PM
<< I wish we had Ron Artest. Still a nutball but he can really play tennacious defense and isn't an offensive liability. >>

Frankly I'd feel the same few months ago... but now seeing how he's important to his team but he doesn't know it, I wouldn't want this detrimental piece my team.

OutletPass
03-09-2003, 11:43 AM
BUMP

Ron suspended again for his 6th flagrant foul of the season in last night's game.

What a surprise.

LRB
03-09-2003, 03:31 PM
No surprise here. How many more flagrant fouls until he gets another suspension?

jayC
03-09-2003, 05:40 PM
Remember Kenyon Martin had the same struggle with flagrant fouls until he had a meeting with Stern and the boys and he has cooled down.

Dennis Rodman still a crazed looney but owns five nba titles.

MavsFanFinley
03-09-2003, 11:03 PM
Here you go LRB:

If Artest gets another category 1 flagrant foul, the less serious of the two flagrant foul designations, he will receive another one-game suspension. After that, he will draw two-game suspensions.

Artest will draw a two-game suspension if his next flagrant foul is of the category 2 variety.

LRB
03-10-2003, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the research MFF. And let the suspensions begin! i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

jayC
03-11-2003, 07:46 PM
The attitude and style of play is detremental to the team. Get this Rasheed Wallace only has 7 technical fouls he used to lead the league in Technicals.

Its ashame for a team with so much talent to flounder the way it has. Isiah needs to get his head screwed on right these aren't the 80's pistons these are the trailblazers out of control.

ames7
03-12-2003, 01:32 AM
Of course it's detrimental to the team. Look at what has become of Indiana. They've dropped the last 5 &amp; are clinging to a 1-game lead for 3rd in the East on the 76ers, who have been, btw, scary good since the break. There have been reports about Jermaine O'Neal being seriously upset (&amp; rightfully so) w/how Artest has been behaving.

BTW, taking a look at how Artest being missing affects Indy: he is their second highest scorer, averaging 15.2 pts, 5.4 boards, &amp; 2.9 assists.

MavsFanFinley
03-12-2003, 10:43 PM
If the NBA holds it up, Artest will have another one game suspension. He was called for another flagrant foul in tonights game.

Artest called for another flagrant foul

March 12, 2003

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Indiana's Ron Artest was called for a flagrant foul in the fourth quarter against Philadelphia on Wednesday night for intentionally tackling Eric Snow.

The foul gave Artest seven flagrant foul points, earning him another one-game suspension. If the foul is upheld by the NBA, he will miss his team's home game Friday against Utah.

Artest missed the Pacers' 107-88 loss to Sacramento on Sunday after exceeding the five-point limit on flagrant foul points. It was his third suspension of the year.

After Snow grabbed a rebound on the right baseline, Artest ran at him and pulled him down, earning the flagrant foul call from referee Ken Mauer.

If Artest commits another flagrant foul this season, he will draw a two-game suspension.

In early January, Artest was suspended for three games without pay and fined $35,000 for hurling a television monitor and smashing a camera after a loss in New York.

Later that month, he was suspended for four games without pay for a run-in with Heat coach Pat Riley and for flashing an obscene gesture toward the crowd in Miami.

He also was suspended by his team for one game last month for smashing a framed picture of himself after a home loss to Washington.

03-12-2003, 10:55 PM
I just saw him tackle Snow and god was that sloppy. He got stripped then went up and literally tackled him.

Big Boy Laroux
03-13-2003, 04:48 PM
man, that foul on snow was ridiculous... definitely a flagrant, maybe even a flagrant 2?

that guy needs therapy.

ames7
03-13-2003, 06:28 PM
Well, it's official (http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0313/1523076.html). Suspended again. The next one = 2 games. Lovely.

&quot;Nellie, you're the best&quot;... I love it.

LRB
03-13-2003, 08:30 PM
What's the over under for when Artest gets his next suspension for a flagrant foul? If it's more than one game after he comes back from this suspension, I take the under.

ames7
03-15-2003, 12:51 AM
Funny article over at ESPN Page 2 (http://espn.go.com/page2/s/bona/030314.html): Tips for How to Survive Playing Against Ron Artest.

&quot;If you insist on talking junk to Artest, you obviously choose not to live.&quot;

ames7
03-19-2003, 10:04 PM
Surprise, surprise. Flagrant Foul #8 (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&amp;ncid=1387&amp;e=5&amp;u=/ap/20030320/ap_on_sp_ba_ga_su/bkn_celtics_pacers&amp;sid=95747870). 2-game suspension coming.

Evilmav2
03-19-2003, 10:07 PM
Ames7, you really don't like Ron Artest do you?i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

MavsFanFinley
03-19-2003, 10:27 PM
I haven't read this article and not sure what he was whistled for, but when is this going to stop?

ames7
03-19-2003, 11:02 PM
<< Ames7, you really don't like Ron Artest do you? >>

I have no idea where you could have gotten THAT idea. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Nah, actually I have very few opinions about Artest. He's a great player &amp; all, but mostly it's kind of amusing watching from a distance as he completely screws over his team.

Apparently, this latest one came just 5 seconds into the game. Right off the tip-off, he goes &amp; knocks Paul Pierce in the head. Wasted no time.

Evilmav2
03-19-2003, 11:39 PM
Just kidding around Amesi/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif... Until this Fall I was living in Indiana, so I watched an awful lot of Pacers games and I thought that the trade for Artest and Miller was terrible...

Early this year both those players did much to prove my early opinions fool, but recently I have not been displeased to see dumb Artest act like an ass to the world and to his NBA peers...

Dooby
03-20-2003, 10:22 AM
Does this look flagrant to you?

http://ak-sports.espn.go.com/f/1917/8668/6H/espn.go.com/media/nba/2003/0319/photo/a_artest_ht.jpg

TripleDipping
03-20-2003, 10:27 AM
Looks like Pierce is enjoying a therapeutic massage. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Dooby
03-20-2003, 10:42 AM
<< Looks like Pierce is enjoying a therapeutic massage. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif >>

LOL. But where is the goofy chair?

The Crippler
03-20-2003, 11:16 AM
on tv it did not really look that bad, and might get overturned by the league office. But he was trying to foul Pierce hard and was not going after ball. That is the def. of a flagrant foul in a nutshell.

Ummmmm Ok
03-20-2003, 12:17 PM
<< http://ak-sports.espn.go.com/f/1917/8668/6H/espn.go.com/media/nba/2003/0319/photo/a_artest_ht.jpg >>

I don't see a problem here...

Drbio
03-20-2003, 12:42 PM
Artest claims he was just trying to rid Peirce of his demons.

Be Free Halleluyah!

Ummmmm Ok
03-20-2003, 03:32 PM
The rumor I heard was that Artests cousin said he wanted Pierce's Headband.

sturm und drang
04-03-2003, 10:08 AM
Like clockwork, man, like clockwork...

'Nothing happened,' but another suspension possible

CLEVELAND (AP) -- As only he can, Ron Artest turned an otherwise boring blowout into another blowup.

Al Harrington scored 24 points, and Artest was up to his usual antics -- pushing players, drawing a technical and enraging the crowd -- while leading the Indiana Pacers to a 103-82 win over the Cleveland Cavaliers on Wednesday night.

In the fourth quarter, Artest, who has been suspended 12 games this season for a variety of bad behavior, made an obscene gesture with both hands to the crowd after being hit by a thrown coin.

&quot;I got hit by a quarter, but I don't care,&quot; said Artest, who isn't concerned about another possible suspension. &quot;Nothing happened. I was just playing to the crowd.&quot;

The NBA may feel differently after reviewing videotape of Artest's latest outburst. He's been suspended 11 games by the league and one game by the Pacers.

Jonathan Bender added 21 points for Indiana, which snapped an 11-game road losing streak. The Pacers hadn't won on the road since beating New Orleans on Feb. 12.

&quot;It's been a long time,&quot; Harrington said. &quot;Hopefully, we can get on a roll now.&quot;

The Pacers didn't miss a beat without Jermaine O'Neal, their leading scorer and rebounder, who sat out with a sprained right ankle. Both Harrington and Bender stepped it up and gave Indiana its 10th straight win over the Cavs at Gund Arena.

But Artest kept things lively during the fourth quarter of the rout.

With Indiana leading 89-74, he shoved Ricky Davis out of bounds and was assessed a technical foul by referee Tim Donaghy for arguing with 7:27 left.

Artest continued to protest, and when teammate Austin Croshere stepped in to stop him, Artest pushed him and then knocked away Indiana coach Isiah Thomas' arm.

&quot;The referee called a technical on Ron, and Ron wanted to know why,&quot; Thomas said. &quot;Ron is like any other player or any other person. When they get upset, they don't want anybody close to them or touching them. I understand it, because I was the same way.&quot;

Artest said he and Davis were simply renewing their personal rivalry.

&quot;Every time I play against Ricky, he thinks he's better than me,&quot; Artest said.

On Indiana's next possession, Cavs forward Jumaine Jones was hit with a technical and ejected. As Jones was leaving the floor, Artest was struck by the coin, and he extended both middle fingers and waved them at the crowd.

During a timeout, Cavs coach Keith Smart told referee Derrick Stafford: &quot;Artest is out of hand.&quot;

As the teams returned to the floor, public address announcer Jeff Shreve asked the crowd to refrain from throwing objects -- to the delight of Artest, who sat on the scorer's table patting Shreve on the back as he talked into the microphone.

A few minutes later, during a stoppage in play, Artest ran by and yelled to Shreve, &quot;Thanks for the public announcement.&quot;

Cavs forward Darius Miles knows the Pacers rely on Artest's energy and ability to push the emotional envelope.

&quot;He's their Dennis Rodman,&quot; Miles said. &quot;He's their John Salley. He's Bill Laimbeer, Rick Mahorn and all those big guys all in one. I don't see anything wrong with it.&quot;