PDA

View Full Version : McDyess out for season

MavsFanFinley
03-04-2003, 10:03 PM
McDyess rules out returning this season

By CHRIS SHERIDAN, AP Basketball Writer

March 4, 2003

NEW YORK (AP) -- Antonio McDyess said he is aiming to play basketball again in July, ending any hopes the New York Knicks had that he might return this season.

McDyess has been sidelined since fracturing his kneecap in New York's third exhibition game. The Knicks already announced that he was out for the season, although there was speculation he might return early.

``I just want to be right when the season starts next year,'' McDyess said Tuesday.

McDyess spoke publicly for the first time since Jan. 1, when he was still holding hope of making an early return from his second major left patella injury.

McDyess was acquired by New York last June on draft night in a five-player deal with the Denver Nuggets. He went down late in New York's third exhibition game while trying to dunk a missed layup by Howard Eisley.

Since then, McDyess has been a sort of invisible man around the Knicks -- staying in the players' lounge rather than sitting on the bench during home games; not traveling with the team to road games.

Prior to Tuesday night's game against Cleveland, he kept to his usual habit of walking through the back hallways of Madison Square Garden after arriving at the arena a few minutes before tip-off, dressed -- as always -- in designer sweat pants, a T-shirt and baseball cap.

McDyess said his rehabilitation is ahead of schedule, although not as much as he would have liked. He has been working out with heavy weights, jogging and doing slide steps. He will undergo an X-ray on Wednesday and a CAT scan in April to determine how well his kneecap is healing.

``I can bend my knee, I can walk fast. But it's not how I feel, it's what you see on the X-rays. I have to wait for that.''

McDyess also pronounced himself ``ecstatic'' that teammate Latrell Sprewell was not traded, and said the Knicks could be a ``great'' team next season if McDyess, Sprewell and Allan Houston are all present and healthy.

As for his mental state, he said it is much improved from the night when he went down in a heap against San Antonio. He said he simply couldn't face another year of rehab similar to during his first injury in March 2001.

McDyess also wonders whether he will be the same caliber player as the one who averaged 20.8 points in 2000-01 and was selected to the All-Star team.

``Yeah, I definitely think about that, and I do think I'm going to be the same player, I'm going to have that explosiveness, the quickness I had before I got injured the second time. After the first injury I felt the same thing,'' McDyess said.

LRB
03-04-2003, 11:28 PM
Can you blame him. Who would want to play for NY this year?

MavsFanFinley
03-04-2003, 11:33 PM
<< Can you blame him. Who would want to play for NY this year? >>

No, I can't blame him. This late in the season, I'd want to make sure I'm healthy for next season instead of trying to rush back for this one.

On Fastbreak, they were saying that this is an important run for the Knicks as they are only 3 games out of the 8th seed. Long shot, but but they were saying it could be done if they win, win, win.

Drbio
03-04-2003, 11:35 PM
Who wants to play for the Knicks ever?

MavsFanFinley
03-04-2003, 11:41 PM
<< Who wants to play for the Knicks ever? >>

I can't remember, did the Knicks pick up Lee Nailon off of waivers? Or did he clear and then sign with the Knicks?

jayC
03-08-2003, 03:07 PM
LRB

That's cold they are in the thick of the playoff race. Who knows if they had a healthy Mcdyess they might be able to go to the finals.

LRB
03-09-2003, 05:21 PM
<< LRB

That's cold they are in the thick of the playoff race. Who knows if they had a healthy Mcdyess they might be able to go to the finals. >>

Cold? Sure it is. But that's the appropriate tempature for a team in the heat of the Leastern confernce playoffs. Common JayC, all the Eastern conference playoffs are for is to see which team will get poster time against the eventual champion from the Western Conference. If the Nicks were in the Western Conference they'd be battling the Grizz for draft position.

grbh
03-09-2003, 10:34 PM
He cleared waivers from the Hornets (I think) and then the Knicks picked him up.

MavsFanFinley
03-09-2003, 11:57 PM
Thanks grbh, I couldn't remember about Nailon's situation and was too lazy to look it up.

The reason I had asked is cause he could have gone to a winning team. He hardly plays in NY.