PDA

View Full Version : Boston-Clippers

MavsFanFinley
03-07-2003, 10:56 PM
I mentioned briefly about an unknown substance that stopped play in the Mavs game day thread during the Boston-Clippers game.

Here's one of what I imagine will be many reports on it.

Celtics game delayed as players gag and cough

March 7, 2003

BOSTON (AP) -- The Boston Celtics suddenly evacuated their bench between periods of their game against the Los Angeles Clippers on Friday night when an unknown substance made it difficult for them to breathe. The game was delayed for nine minutes.

``Everybody started coughing,'' center Mark Blount said. ``I felt like I was going to throw up, man.''

Boston had a 60-50 lead after three quarters when the Celtics players and staff suddenly got up and walked across the floor. Fans in the sections behind the bench were breathing through their shirts and jackets.

There was no odor. Police and security checked the area about three rows behind the bench, but didn't appear to find anything.

Security officials would not comment.

``It didn't smell. I just couldn't breathe,'' forward Mark Bryant said.

The game resumed at 10:03 p.m., with an announcement over the public address system: ``Fans, officials ask that you please refrain from throwing things at the floor.''

Drbio
03-07-2003, 11:00 PM
I watched the game on ESPN. It was freaky. The game was stopped for about 15 minutes.

MavsFanFinley
03-07-2003, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I was watching the game too Doc. It was frightening cause they couldn't identify the smell or where it came from.

I'm half watching the Sonics-Sixers game and they gave an update a few minutes ago. Some fans reported that a couple people were seen rapidly leaving their seats as soon as the smell broke.

I didn't hear anymore after that. It could be that they smelled it and got the hell out of there or they could be the ones that set whatever it was off.

MavsFanFinley
03-07-2003, 11:18 PM
Update from Sportscenter.

No official word, but they've been reviewing security tapes. They believe a couple fans threw a canister believed to be mace directly behind the Celtics bench before fleeing the arena.

Drbio
03-07-2003, 11:30 PM
I hope they string up those morons whoever it was.

Kevink00012
03-08-2003, 08:49 PM
<< Update from Sportscenter.

No official word, but they've been reviewing security tapes. They believe a couple fans threw a canister believed to be mace directly behind the Celtics bench before fleeing the arena. >>

I was watching the game and it did kinda freak me out for a minute, but I would think they would be able to find the canister then at least with the way they were looking.

LRB
03-09-2003, 04:58 PM
They should take the idiots who did this, put them in a cell, tape their eyelids open, and force them to watch reruns of Bill Walton postulating 24 hours a day.