PDA

View Full Version : assist overrated for Big men like Webber KG Vlade and Duncan.

jayC
03-07-2003, 11:27 PM
Assists are the ultimate sign of sharing the ball but not to the other team right:
Kg 5.7 assists to 2.80 about 2 to 1 ratio point guard like.

Duncan 3.9 assists but Duncan also averages 3.18 Turnovers. Sounds like the double team is the best way to stop this guy.

Webber has 5.4 assists but 3.30 turnovers not that super.

Vlade has 3.7 assists to 2.0 turnovers barely worth running any plays for this guy.

The point is that just because you can pass doesn't mean you should and doesn't mean you are that great at it either. Please Bill Walton webber and Divac aren't that great at passing after all.

MavKikiNYC
03-08-2003, 06:55 AM
<< The point is that just because you can pass doesn't mean you should and doesn't mean you are that great at it either. >>

Huh?

I don't think this stat works at all--too many confounding factors surrounding assists and turnovers to consider the latter the opposite of the former, especially for big men.

For one thing, a turnover isn't the direct equivalent of a bad pass; also have to consider the number of the times a player like Duncan handles the ball; the number of times he handles the ball in probable scoring position; the number of times he handles the ball against a double team.

And even with the numbers cited here as examples, KG's 5.7:2.8 (2.0) isn't significantly better than VD's 3.7:2.0 (1.85).

Hey, if you can't tell just by looking that Divac, Webber and Duncan are great passers, you're better off playing with a calculator.

jayC
03-08-2003, 03:48 PM
Just sick board and totally board at the same time. I danno.

nowitzki_prophecy
03-08-2003, 04:44 PM
Overated?!!!!!!maybe in KGs case But i would love Dirk to pass the ball like webber.
Webber is one player that you could seriously say makes the team Better.
im pretty sure it isnt the case,not with TD and not with KG,but Webber or Vlade,that the entire game of the team doesnt necceseraly revolves around them,can still end up with a nice some of assists is something i would hope in time we would have over here.

Kevink00012
03-08-2003, 07:45 PM
Dirk is at 2.8 and 1.8. Not a bad ratio for a forward, but I wouldn't mind seeing the assist totals improve.