PDA

View Full Version : Poll: 2nd Best Player of All Time

Nash13
03-09-2003, 12:47 PM
who do you say? we obviously know Michael Jordan is the best.

I guess i would say Magic Johnson.

Nash13
03-09-2003, 01:04 PM
Unlike the most popular poster thread, i think i got the names straight this time.

Bayliss
03-09-2003, 02:52 PM
Greatest offesive player: Wilt

Greatest defensive player: Russell

Greatest rebounder: Russell/Wilt..

Greatest passer: Magic

Greatest clutch performer: Bird/Jordan

Personally I'd choose Bird as 2nd best. But I'm not upset if someone choose Magic, Wilt, Oscar, etc etc.

LRB
03-09-2003, 03:39 PM
I was going to say that Chiwas was going to scold you for leaving Eddie Najera off, but since it's the 2nd best you're probably OK. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

nowitzki_prophecy
03-09-2003, 04:48 PM
i had a tough time deciding between LB and Wilt "The Stilt",but i decided to go with who has more rings.
i think Bird was more of a leader than Wilt.

For Bayliss.

Greatest offensive player:Michael Jordan
Greatest defensive player:Bill Russel
Greatest Rebounder:Bill Russel
Greatest Passer:John Stockton/Ervin Magic Johnson
Greatest clutch performer:Michael Jordan

Wilt is slightly less of a rebounder than Bill,but he is more of a complete package.
while Russel could collect his 25 boards per game,he only posted 16-17 points a game.
Wilt had a season with 51 points to add to his 23-24 boards.

jayC
03-09-2003, 05:45 PM
How can you leave off Kareem five time NBA champ. All time nba scorer he at least has to be part of the conversation.

MFFL
03-09-2003, 06:29 PM
<< who do you say? we obviously know Michael Jordan is the best. >>

Jordan was the 2nd best. Wilt was the best ever.

Nash13
03-09-2003, 06:40 PM
<< I was going to say that Chiwas was going to scold you for leaving Eddie Najera off, but since it's the 2nd best you're probably OK. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif >>

I actually was going to put him, but i knew i would have gotten stupid reactions.

And Kareem is on the list.

Nash13
03-09-2003, 06:42 PM
be honest, which one of you heads voted Bill Walton?

I got the names from NBA.COM's top 50 list.

Evilmav2
03-09-2003, 09:58 PM
Good job on your list Nash... My vote goes for Shaq as the second best just based upon his physical abilities. Methinks he would have been even more dominant than he is today if he was playing in the 60's or 70's...

Murphy3
03-09-2003, 10:22 PM
i cannot imagine how dominant shaq would have been in the 60's..it's unfathomable.

behind jordan, i don't know who's the best..but i'd have to go with stockton as the best passer..Magic was flashier..but stockton was more efficient

to be honest,if you would have put najera on the list..he would have won by an overwhelming majority

MavsFanFinley
03-09-2003, 11:15 PM
Edit--spelling errors.

I don't know how you can vote for this. Tough choices, so many deserving.

I know he isn't the 2nd best, but I really think Barkley was something else. Overweight, undersized, and look at what he did out of sheer determination. Definitely one of the great players, but couldn't win a championship.

I know some don't care for his commentary, but I sure do miss watching him on the court.

Murphy3
03-09-2003, 11:31 PM
barkley is an extremely funny human being... absolutely love his commentary.

and yeah, he was amazing..most people say that he was actually around 6'5..it's unbelievable what he did..nice observation MFF

another thing..alot of great players couldn't win a title throughout their career..barkley just happened to play in the Jordan era..much like the malone's and stockton's of the world.

MavsFanFinley
03-09-2003, 11:55 PM
You're right Murph, too many great players were unable to win a championship.

Barkley is a favorite of mine. I so wanted him to bring a championship to Phoenix. But, yeah, he was stuck in the Jordan era. It's a shame really.

And while I miss him on the court, I look forward to his commentary too. Too funny.

nowitzki_prophecy
03-10-2003, 10:36 AM
how could Barkley be your favorite,everybody hates the man,his family hates him,but the man sure could play basketball.
my favorite player who didnt got a ring is defenitly Stockton.
the Ice man was something else too.

Shaq at Second best is a reach,shaq is unquestionably the best player that played the game after Mike,so dominant right now,and he would probably could have been much more dominant if he played in the 60's,but he hasnt come close to achieve What LB or even Russel has done.
it has to be more than a statistic issue.

jayC
03-11-2003, 03:58 PM
If he played in the 60's or 70's he probably wouldn't have the strength he has know because of technological advances, you can say that russel could have been more dominant had he worked out every day like today's superstars.

Big Boy Laroux
03-12-2003, 11:40 AM
great point jayc.

wilt could have been even more of a stud if he had the tools and knowledge of working out that current players do.

nowitzki_prophecy
03-12-2003, 02:46 PM
Wilt could'nt have bin more dominant.
he developed his body as far as he could but he could'nt have been built like shaq,its his form,its something your born with.

i doubt it would have made any difference.

Murphy3
03-12-2003, 04:55 PM
he possibly could have been in better shape because of different styles of training and somesuch.

but, shaq would have been a goliath back then

MFFL
03-12-2003, 06:35 PM
<< Wilt could'nt have bin more dominant.
he developed his body as far as he could but he could'nt have been built like shaq,its his form,its something your born with.

i doubt it would have made any difference. >>

I think Wilt would have been even MORE dominant now. The center position is in worse shape now than it was then. And Wilt wouldn't be playing back-to-back-to-back games all of the time. Plus the gains in sports science in regards to nutrietion and exercise would have made him even more physical.

Wilt was a freak of nature - by far the greatest player of all time. Jordan was simply a creation of the NBA to keep interest in the NBA during a period when there was only one great player. And Shaq is simply a fat man during a period where there isn't anyone else who plays the same position. Shaq would probably foul out in 15 minutes a night back in the period when Wilt played. The refs didn't allow the pushing and grinding that Shaq does on a nightly basis.

But when you think to compare Wilt and Jordan (or Shaq) ever again, consider this. Wilt forced the NBA to enact several rules changes to make him LESS effective. Name one rule the NBA changed to do anything but BENEFIT them.

jayC
03-17-2003, 02:30 PM
Some what. I disagree!