PDA

View Full Version : A message to the national sports media

Dooby
03-10-2003, 08:50 AM
Please stop being surprised when western conference teams beat "hot" or "elite" eastern conference teams. Only you were surprised when San Antonio beat Boston or the Lakers beat the 76'ers.

Rhylan
03-10-2003, 09:57 AM
..and the choir sang... AAAAAAMEEEEENNNN.

The media lacks creativity. If this country didn't have coasts, they wouldn't know what to write.

sturm und drang
03-10-2003, 10:21 AM
Yes! Please! We've got 20 games left in the regular season, and frankly I don't think a single Eastern Conference team merits even being mentioned until the end of the playoffs.

I gag everytime I hear "The Sixers are the hottest team in basketball right now!" I mean, you must be kidding. Memphis-- possibly even Denver-- could go on a similar tear playing a schedule of those JV Eastern Conference teams...

LRB
03-10-2003, 11:01 AM
<< I gag everytime I hear &quot;The Sixers are the hottest team in basketball right now!&quot; >>

I'm totally with you sturm on this one. Whenever I hear the above quote, I just think that the Sixers need to call their AC repairman. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

TripleDipping
03-10-2003, 11:05 AM
You have to think of it this way: If the media doesn't pump Eastern Conference up, Stern may relocate all the teams in East to the West coast.

Dooby
03-10-2003, 11:14 AM
The NBA should be like the NFL and spread conferences throughout the country. Does anybody care about east v. west? It isn't like travel costs are affected that much, despite what Jerry West is saying in Memphis.

Chiwas
03-10-2003, 01:25 PM
<< If this country didn't have coasts, they wouldn't know what to write. >>

Indeed. Reading and listening your information's sources it seems for a foreigner that your country has a lack of height (latitude).

Murphy3
03-10-2003, 01:56 PM
it makes more sense for basketball to have the current set up..as opposed to what the NFL does.

the NFL plays once a week..basketball, you might play 4 games in 5 days sometimes all in different places..
it just makes more sense..and it would be hell on the schedule makers to do it more like the NFL

BrianJ
03-10-2003, 03:10 PM
it might make more sense for travel, but the east really really sucks. I don't think that it can be fixed. Maybe give the east teams all first round draft picks and the right to chose one player from each western team and I still think they would suchk for at least 5 years. Its not even funny any more its gotten out of control. All they hype in the world is not going to make the championship exciting, even if there is a big upset in the west.

jayC
03-10-2003, 03:16 PM
Its just too many media outlets too much coverage. Its like on Cnn and they will show sometimes a police chase that really has no value at all.

Also have you noticed how everyone penalizes the mavs for starting the year 14-0. And what would be the harm of giving the big three the MVP award? Just like too stir controversey.

LRB
03-10-2003, 04:22 PM
<< The NBA should be like the NFL and spread conferences throughout the country. Does anybody care about east v. west? It isn't like travel costs are affected that much, despite what Jerry West is saying in Memphis. >>

Don't think that its the travel that's prohibitive Dooby, but rather the time zones for TV broadcasts. The East Coast being 3 hrs ahead of the West Coast makes it hard for fans on one coast to view their team playing on the other coast. They either have to leave work in the middle of afternoon to get home in time to see the tip off (West Coast fans) or have to stay up until the wee hours of the morning to see the finish of the game (East Coast fans).