PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Flat out who is the best baller in the NBA

jayC
03-11-2003, 03:36 PM
I say its Kevin Garnett 23 points 12 boards and 6 or so assists pergame. He has been awesome this season,shooting in the post he looks like he is ready to take the TWOlves past the first round. Who do you think the best is? Shaq lately has been good but not all season so who is the best playa in the league?

reeds
03-11-2003, 07:41 PM
KOBE

03-11-2003, 08:19 PM
Ko-Mac

MavKikiNYC
03-11-2003, 08:35 PM
Kobe.

Kevink00012
03-11-2003, 09:30 PM
KG. He has the best combination of everything.

LRB
03-11-2003, 10:09 PM
Nice poll with the only choice being KG. Hmmmm wonder who I'll pick? i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

With an expanded list, I'd choose Dirk though.

aexchange
03-11-2003, 10:13 PM
i edited the poll and added some choices.

BrianJ
03-11-2003, 10:53 PM
How did Kobe do against those lethal bulls today Reeds? Other then Shaqs fatass I don't think u can pick anyone a player can only be ranked according to the make-up of his team and how well he delivers in that system.

jayC
03-12-2003, 05:37 PM
KG's game is more complete than that of Dirk. KG is an all defensive player did you see him shut down finley 1-12 in the first half. Finley can't take anyone to the rack. Kg is starting to be automatic in the post and becoming a complete player. He leads the twolves in rebounds, assists, and points. Dirk is improving but when did dirk shut down a great player.
HE is close but not the best.

MavsFanFinley
03-12-2003, 10:50 PM
KG seems to be the most complete right now. For his size, it's amazing what he's doing.

Drbio
03-13-2003, 10:03 AM
I have to vote for KG at this point.

nowitzki_prophecy
03-13-2003, 02:34 PM
what a surprise,you put a poll like that in a mavericks site and dirks winning.

i voted for dirk,not because im a mavericks fan,but because i think that if you talk about pure abileties,i think Dirk is just better than KG.
KG is Minnasota,the ball is always at his hands so its kinda hard not to pick up assists,especialy if you dont have a real PG.

my point is if Dirk is in Memphis or something,he could pick up adlist the same stats.
the only thing i think Garnett has an advantage on Dirk is ball control,and post-up game.

aexchange
03-13-2003, 03:05 PM
garnett is far superior to dirk defensively.

garnett could step out and guard mcgrady and has done it before. you are looking at dirk's worst nightmare if he had to guard mcgrady every possession. he just doesnt have the lateral speed to do it.

also his passing skills arent as good as garnett either. if you stuck dirk on minnesota's team, his assists might go up 1-1.5 per game, but to be honest his court vision isn't as good. and secondly, he makes some absolutely terrible passes out of the double teams this year.

mavs_afroman
03-13-2003, 08:20 PM
<< garnett is far superior to dirk defensively.

garnett could step out and guard mcgrady and has done it before. you are looking at dirk's worst nightmare if he had to guard mcgrady every possession. he just doesnt have the lateral speed to do it.

also his passing skills arent as good as garnett either. if you stuck dirk on minnesota's team, his assists might go up 1-1.5 per game, but to be honest his court vision isn't as good. and secondly, he makes some absolutely terrible passes out of the double teams this year. >>

KG is better than Dirk defensively but I actually think that KG is overrated defensivesly too. He's quick, agile, and plays hard but I still haven't seen him really shut anybody down. Maybe its just from years of watching him get burned by Dirk but I just haven't seen that much and nobody falls for a fake especially a pump fake quicker. Whenever I see him play other teams on tv, commentators will talk about his good defense because he gets up into the player he's guarding and looks like he's really trying hard. But, most of the time he's so aggraessive that he'll still end up giving up an open lane or falling for a simple fake.

nowitzki_prophecy
03-14-2003, 05:25 AM
Agree,KGs defensive abileties are way way overated.
i dont know where you got this from but KG would'nt even think of taking on Tracy.
maybe he could do a better job than dirk but it doesnt mean its a good job.
it goes back to KG being quicker than Dirk,but thats the only thing i can think of KG is better than Dirk,that and post up.

KGs passing abileties are another thing,from all the games i saw him play,his assists were'nt that impressive that you might say Dirk can't do that.
his passing abileties arent as good as you make it to be,the man isnt exactly Jason williams(Mem),and like i said,i think if Dirk was on a team where the ball was almost always in hands,than he would improve his assists Average by more than 1-1.5,Dirk can pass as good as KG can,but KG does it more.

aexchange
03-14-2003, 07:47 AM
mcgrady has said in the past that garnett did the best job of defending him out of anybody in the league.

again, dirk doesnt pass that well out of the double team. although KG doesnt make spectacular passes i think its foolish to assume dirk's assist numbers would go up playing for a team like memphis. if anything they would go down b/c he doesnt have the supporting cast he has here in dallas.

nowitzki_prophecy
03-14-2003, 08:42 AM
why would they go down if he doesnt have his support cast?that doesnt make any sense.
the supporting cast is whats keeping dirk down,the supporting cast is what keeping Dirk on 18 shots a night.

Dirk has a couple of assists that arent straight from the Jump shot,he can pass it inside,and beside,it doesnt really matter,when you concentrate the ball in Dirks hands,every pass he delivers could be an assist,like every pass KG deliver could become an easy J.
Dirks passing abileties are not lessened by KGs.

about Mcgrady,well,i havent seen Tracy saying that so i'll have to trust ya,all im saying that he isnt that good a defender.
his better than Dirk,but thats not much of a chalange.
you could say he's a good defender for a 6'11 but to say he's just a good defender is way off base.

aexchange
03-14-2003, 08:58 AM
taking shots has nothing to do with dirks assist numbers. if anything dirk should be averaging close to 4 assists per game with nash, finley, and van exel. but he barely averages 2.5

when teams double him, he has better teammates and thus should have better assist numbers than he would on a team like cleveland.

nowitzki_prophecy
03-14-2003, 09:13 AM
and how often do you see Dirk posting so he's double uped?!thats my point,in a bad team he would recieve the ball much more,therefore pressured and double teamed much more,so he releases the ball much more.

if you want to compliment a PF with passing abileties,check out C-Webb,he's passing abileties are great,even for a guard,and he's surrounded by other players that can supple the pass,the ball isnt always in his hands.

aexchange
03-14-2003, 09:34 AM
dirk gets doubled even when hes not posting up, so i don't really see your point.

just b/c you are a flashy passer that doesnt make you a good passer. stockton has never been a flashy passer and he is one of the best ever, if not the best.

using your c-webb example works against you. yes, look at c-webb with comparable talent to the mavs he's averaging about 5 dimes a game. dirk? 2.5

nowitzki_prophecy
03-14-2003, 09:47 AM
its kinda hard double teaming a guy who isnt with his back to the basket.
Dirk would never be double uped if he's not post uped cause we have to many tools and it will get someone open.
but even if it does happen,my point was that Dirk doesnt get the ball like kg,so if he's posting up and being double teamed or just being double teamed,it doesnt matter cause it doesnt happen that much,cause he doesnt get the ball that much,adlist not like KG.

who said anything about flashy passer?

i cant see how your using it against me when i said C-Webb DOES have better passing abileties than Dirk.
despite being surrounded by great passers,Webbers is keeping a nice APG ratio.

if by flashy you were refering to Webber,i wasnt refering to the flashiness of his passes,but to the difficulties of'em.
he can get the ball to almost anyone he wants,i dont really care if its between the legs or behind the back,he gets the pass to go through.

aexchange
03-14-2003, 05:04 PM
at this stage of his career, dirk is not half the passer that KG is.

statistics bear this out as well. that isnt to say that dirk wont be as good as KG, but he isnt as good now (passing wise). also your argument assumes that both KG and dirk get their assists only when they are double teamed, but they also come in 1-1 situations. with the amount of weapons dirk has at his disposal, he should have higher assist numbers.

Kevink00012
03-14-2003, 08:25 PM
I think we may have a Homer or two. As much as I like Dirk, he is not the best player in the league...yet.

nowitzki_prophecy
03-15-2003, 01:43 AM
you killing me Aex,you keep saying things that has nothing to do with anything.

it doesnt matter if the pass is out of a double team or a one on one situation,you have to have the ball to give the assist,KG is holding the ball all the time and every pass he gives can become a Jumper and so an easy assist.
Dirk has the same thing but on much lower numbers.
Dirk gets the ball way way way less than KG.
not only that,we have a PG,that can deliever assists,actualy,we have two of them,while Min doesnt have even one real PG.
so KG is left with the responsebilty of activating the team.

i say it again,Dirks passing abileties are not lessened by KGs.

Murphy3
03-16-2003, 10:06 AM
yeah, i think that just maybe, there might be a homer or two

nowitzki_prophecy
03-16-2003, 11:19 AM
wellp,i like to think im pretty realistic,and i do think dirk has the best ABILETIES in the league,or adlist the best offensive abileties,but is prevented from showing them do to the roster he's surrounded.

Subliminal012
03-16-2003, 01:22 PM
Kobe.

Kg is a great player, but he becomes ordinary in the clutch.

OutletPass
03-16-2003, 01:30 PM
KG...but ask me about Dirk next year !